CANADA Canada - Whitney, Ont, WhtMale HC95, 18-29, @ Algonquin Park campsite, Apr'80

Canada's Missing | Case details

(side note: if you go to the Canadian site unidentified, the first thing you notice you can enter a surname!!! Duhhhh)

Discovered on
April 19, 1980
Est. age
18 to 29
Bio group
White
Hair
Blonde, Long, Possibly in a ponytail
Build
Slender/Thin

Wearing or features:

Other
A folding camp stove; and an aluminum camper's pot with a lid
Other
A black down-filled sleeping bag with a nylon outer shell
Money
$20 bill fragments
Wallet
Black, with 8 cent stamp issues between July 1, 1971 and September 1, 1976
Boots
Low cut "Greb", size 11
Jeans
Levi Strauss
Sweater
Black, thick and knitted
Jacket
khaki green military style
Belt
36 inch, wear shown at 32 inch hole

The eye color is unknown, so they made a recon with both light and brown eyes and a side profile.

Last edited:
The Doe Network link and additional information:

3154UMON

Date of Discovery: April 19, 1980
Location of Discovery: Whitney, Ontario, Canada
Estimated Date of Death: July 1, 1971 to Spring 1978.
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 18-29 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9" to 5'11" (175 to 180 cm)
Weight: 135 to 145 lbs. (61 to 65 kg)
Hair: Blond. 6-11" long, possibly worn in a ponytail.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Possible smoker.

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Unknown.

How big is the chance this man is coming from the USA? Bordering USA states with Ontario. Local knowledge is much appreciated.

The US state of Minnesota shares a 547-mile (880 km) long border with Canadian provinces of Manitoba and Ontario. Manitoba is located on the northwest corner of Minnesota while Ontario lies on the north and northeast. Part of the border with Ontario runs along Lake Superior.

Michigan and Ontario share a 721-mile (1,160 km) marine boundary. It is the second longest boundary between the two countries. There is no land border between Michigan and Canada. The borderline runs along Lake Superior and Lake Huron, demarcating the lakes’ share owned by both countries. The Blue Water Bridge and St. Clair Tunnel connects Sarnia in Ontario to Port Huron in Michigan. The Ambassador Bridge and the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel connect Windsor, Canada and Detroit, USA.

Ohio shares a 146-mile (235 km) long boundary with Ontario. The borderline is located entirely within Lake Erie. The only form of transport between the two territories is by ferry across the lake. The Pelee Island Ferry operates between Sandusky in Ohio and Essex County in Ontario.

Pennsylvania has the shortest border with Canada. The maritime boundary shared with Ontario stretches for 42 miles (68 km) within Lake Erie and demarcates the lake share owned by both countries. Pennsylvania has no land boundary with Canada.

New York State shares a 445-mile (716 km) long boundary with Ontario and Quebec. The Treaty of Paris established the boundary in 1783 while the Webster–Ashburton Treaty 1842 revised the borderline. The St Lawrence rivers forms part of the boundary between New York and Ontario. The boundary has four of the most-used border crossing between Canada and the United States.

etc.

US States That Border Canada

How big is the chance this man is coming from the USA? Bordering USA states with Ontario. Local knowledge is much appreciated.

The US state of Minnesota shares a 547-mile (880 km) long border with Canadian provinces of Manitoba and Ontario. Manitoba is located on the northwest corner of Minnesota while Ontario lies on the north and northeast. Part of the border with Ontario runs along Lake Superior.

Michigan and Ontario share a 721-mile (1,160 km) marine boundary. It is the second longest boundary between the two countries. There is no land border between Michigan and Canada. The borderline runs along Lake Superior and Lake Huron, demarcating the lakes’ share owned by both countries. The Blue Water Bridge and St. Clair Tunnel connects Sarnia in Ontario to Port Huron in Michigan. The Ambassador Bridge and the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel connect Windsor, Canada and Detroit, USA.

Ohio shares a 146-mile (235 km) long boundary with Ontario. The borderline is located entirely within Lake Erie. The only form of transport between the two territories is by ferry across the lake. The Pelee Island Ferry operates between Sandusky in Ohio and Essex County in Ontario.

Pennsylvania has the shortest border with Canada. The maritime boundary shared with Ontario stretches for 42 miles (68 km) within Lake Erie and demarcates the lake share owned by both countries. Pennsylvania has no land boundary with Canada.

New York State shares a 445-mile (716 km) long boundary with Ontario and Quebec. The Treaty of Paris established the boundary in 1783 while the Webster–Ashburton Treaty 1842 revised the borderline. The St Lawrence rivers forms part of the boundary between New York and Ontario. The boundary has four of the most-used border crossing between Canada and the United States.

etc.

US States That Border Canada
Thanks for that handy link, will keep it in mind for this and many other cases!

Michael Scott McLaughlin – The Charley Project

This guy is floating around as a possible match on WS and other sites. I can understand that....considering his looks. I read something about he was spotted in Ontario, but I can't find a source....the story, time gap, just isn't adding up. I could think of fantastic theory's: fleeing to Ontario...starting a new drug business...getting into trouble and hiding in the woods/campground..... not impossible but nope. I think we should look through the missing persons looks....hair can grow...no facial hair mentioned...how about that? Was everything gone when they found his remains? Can't imagine you are clean shaved when you are hiking.

Michael Scott McLaughlin – The Charley Project

This guy is floating around as a possible match on WS and other sites. I can understand that....considering his looks. I read something about he was spotted in Ontario, but I can't find a source....the story, time gap, just isn't adding up. I could think of fantastic theory's: fleeing to Ontario...starting a new drug business...getting into trouble and hiding in the woods/campground..... not impossible but nope. I think we should look through the missing persons looks....hair can grow...no facial hair mentioned...how about that? Was everything gone when they found his remains? Can't imagine you are clean shaved when you are hiking.
Good point about being clean shaven, maybe he died on his first night camping?
Noting this bit about Michael S.M...
"He may have been seen in the restaurant of a Holiday Inn in Kingston, Ontario three days after his disappearance, but this has not been confirmed".

WHO IS THIS BEAUTIFUL YOUNG MAN...sorry he reminds me of my son....happily near, but holy his story's..its a miracle he still alive. I'm obviously feeling a lot about this case.....

Maybe... Richard George Rusholme?

Richard disappeared from Niagara Falls on May 1 of 1978, at the age of 20. He left home to go look for work out west, and was never heard from again. Maybe he made a stop along the way to camp in the Provincial park? He was 5'8 and slender, with shoulder-length light brown hair. It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but he bears at least a passing resemblance to the reconstruction.

Maybe... Richard George Rusholme?

Richard disappeared from Niagara Falls on May 1 of 1978, at the age of 20. He left home to go look for work out west, and was never heard from again. Maybe he made a stop along the way to camp in the Provincial park? He was 5'8 and slender, with shoulder-length light brown hair. It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but he bears at least a passing resemblance to the reconstruction.

I think the hair color on the recon is more light brown then blond. But also this UID decided to go camping/hiking considering him having camping equipment and a sleeping bag with him. It seems to me, this was not something that came up along the way. Just my thoughts.

This person was found skeletonized, so eye color is not known....The doe network added that so it seems. A lot of links up treath are hacked or not working anymore..... we have to do a check on what is available now.

Whitney John Doe was a young male whose remains were located in Algonquin Park in Whitney, Ontario in 1980.

He was found at a campsite at Hardwood Lookout Trail. Additional remains were later located in 1995.

Clothing and accessories

• Low-cut Grab boots
  • Levi Strauss jeans
  • A black knitted sweater
  • A khaki military-style jacket
  • A 36-inch belt.
  • A folding camp stove, an aluminum camper's pot with a lid, $20 bill fragments, a black wallet with 8 cent stamp issued between July 1, 1971, and September 1, 1976, and a black down-filled sleeping bag with a nylon outer shell was also found.
I wonder what the cause of death was...was there a tent and he put the camp stove in it.....there is another case (female) in Canada, camping out an putting the stove in her tent...resulting to her death, by Carbon Monoxide. There is no tent mentioned, could this happen if you lay to close....additional remains found in 1995.....where? At the same place....or was there animal activity.

Whitney John Doe

Last edited:
This is an interesting case because of the timeline. It was a rite of passage for Canadian easterners to travel the country by hitchhiking to the west coast and making their way back home through the US. Back in those days you didn't need a passport. Lots of Canadians did own passports because we were just as likely to go to Europe for our grand tour before coming back to go to university.

No one had phones and the way they contacted their families was either by mail or collect calls. During the 70s so many people from eastern Canada and Ontario made the trek to BC for job opportunities. A few of my friends ended up living there permanently.

Conversely, Americans visiting Canada could probably cross the border with the same ease that Canadians and British subjects could during the 70s. Canada was a haven sometimes for young American men escaping the draft, too. Could it be possible that he isn't a Canadian but American? The US ended the draft on June 30, 1973.

I initially thought that Richard Rusholme would have been a good candidate for this UID but if you were hitchhiking out west from Niagara Falls there would be absolutely no reason to end up off Hwy 60 in Algonquin Park. You'd be making your way to the Trans-Canada Highway that is comprised of several highways in Ontario but highway 60 through the park is out of the way. Now, if it was someone coming from Quebec or Ottawa, highway 60 would make sense.

In his bio on Canada's Missing it stated he had his bags packed. It doesn't say whether he took them, though. I wish they clarified that fact, one way or another. Bags don't sound like someone who was planning on camping for his journey, taking a collapsible stove and pots, etc. Those items are more likely to be in a backpack and a tent.

There's not much online regarding Richard but I did find an obituary for his grandmother, Frieda Ballmer, who died June 10, 2003 where it's noted that her grandson, Richard Rusholme predeceased her in 1978. I wonder if the family had him legally declared dead.

I'd really like to know what those disintegrated 20 dollar bills looked like. Canada implemented new 20 dollar bills using the theme Scenes of Canada in 1969 and the names Beattie - Raminsky on the front. The Queen was on the front and a mountain scene on the back. In 1979 it was reissued with the serial numbers on the back and a tweak to the colouring to distinguish it from the lowly one dollar bill with the names Lawson and Bouey on the front. Prior to the transfer to polymer bills, paper money stayed in circulation up to 18 - 24 months, with the higher denominations lasting the longest. So based on some of the features of the 20 dollar bills it might be easier to create a timeline.

ETA The names I am referencing on the 20 dollar bills are the names of the Governor and Deputy Governor of the Bank of Canada.

Last edited:
This is an interesting case because of the timeline. It was a rite of passage for Canadian easterners to travel the country by hitchhiking to the west coast and making their way back home through the US. Back in those days you didn't need a passport. Lots of Canadians did own passports because we were just as likely to go to Europe for our grand tour before coming back to go to university.

No one had phones and the way they contacted their families was either by mail or collect calls. During the 70s so many people from eastern Canada and Ontario made the trek to BC for job opportunities. A few of my friends ended up living there permanently.

Conversely, Americans visiting Canada could probably cross the border with the same ease that Canadians and British subjects could during the 70s. Canada was a haven sometimes for young American men escaping the draft, too. Could it be possible that he isn't a Canadian but American? The US ended the draft on June 30, 1973.

I initially thought that Richard Rusholme would have been a good candidate for this UID but if you were hitchhiking out west from Niagara Falls there would be absolutely no reason to end up off Hwy 60 in Algonquin Park. You'd be making your way to the Trans-Canada Highway that is comprised of several highways in Ontario but highway 60 through the park is out of the way. Now, if it was someone coming from Quebec or Ottawa, highway 60 would make sense.

In his bio on Canada's Missing it stated he had his bags packed. It doesn't say whether he took them, though. I wish they clarified that fact, one way or another. Bags don't sound like someone who was planning on camping for his journey, taking a collapsible stove and pots, etc. Those items are more likely to be in a backpack and a tent.

There's not much online regarding Richard but I did find an obituary for his grandmother, Frieda Ballmer, who died June 10, 2003 where it's noted that her grandson, Richard Rusholme predeceased her in 1978. I wonder if the family had him legally declared dead.

I'd really like to know what those disintegrated 20 dollar bills looked like. Canada implemented new 20 dollar bills using the theme Scenes of Canada in 1969 and the names Beattie - Raminsky on the front. The Queen was on the front and a mountain scene on the back. In 1979 it was reissued with the serial numbers on the back and a tweak to the colouring to distinguish it from the lowly one dollar bill with the names Lawson and Bouey on the front. Prior to the transfer to polymer bills, paper money stayed in circulation up to 18 - 24 months, with the higher denominations lasting the longest. So based on some of the features of the 20 dollar bills it might be easier to create a timeline.

ETA The names I am referencing on the 20 dollar bills are the names of the Governor and Deputy Governor of the Bank of Canada.

Thank you for your insights. Good thinking about the dollar bills. Is there any good entrance/a real person to ask questions as far as you (or somebody else) know?. I find it very hard to communicate with "Canada" in UID cases.

BTW can somebody help me out with the Grab boots. Is this a brand? Hicking boots, common rubber boots? Sometimes it's possible to get some kind of timeline through looking at the clothes and brands. I didn't see any pictures of his stuff.

Last edited:
The shoes you are referring to are Greb. They were a Canadian shoe manufacturer. They made a shoe called Hush Puppies which were a casual boot made of suede with crepe rubber soles. They weren't cheap either. I presume the UID was wearing Hush Puppies. Again, it would be nice to know since they were fairly expensive. They also made a work boot called Kodiak. I think both are still manufactured but the Greb company closed years ago.

Last edited:
The shoes you are referring to are Greb. They were a Canadian shoe manufacturer. They made a shoe called Hush Puppies which were a casual boot made of suede with crepe rubber soles. They weren't cheap either. I presume the UID was wearing Hush Puppies. Again, it would be nice to know since they were fairly expensive. They also made a work boot called Kodiak. I think both are still manufactured but the Greb company closed years ago.

Considering the circumstances I go with the Kodiak boots. I know the Hush Puppies shoes, a comfortable shoe but I somehow remember the soles get very slippery so maybe not very handy for a hiking trip. Was this brand also sold in America?

Considering the circumstances I go with the Kodiak boots. I know the Hush Puppies shoes, a comfortable shoe but I somehow remember the soles get very slippery so maybe not very handy for a hiking trip. Was this brand also sold in America?

Greb got the license to manufacture the Hush Puppies brand from an American company. Hush Puppies had crepe rubber soles so they wouldn't be that slippery and much more comfortable hiking in than a Kodiak work boot that Greb also made but without knowing the style we're just speculating.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpiddybgt
Back