cannot help thinking that this was well deserved....

Originally posted by Toth

We praise the "Mountain Men" but gloss over the inconvenient parts about "liver eating" and having a burlap-wrapped human leg on a pack--horse. We sing songs of praise about Lord Jeffrey Amherst, but gloss over the smallbox infected blankets given to the Indians and the use of dogs set against Indian villages. And we routinely condemn lynchings without making a valid inquiry into their legitimacy and beneficial effects.
We, who? (You and the turd in your pocket? to quote me lovin' mam)

RE: Mountain Men
I'm not sure what your talking about, BTW. If you are trying to tell me that all "mountain men" (I"ll need a definition for that one) rode around with burlap-wrapped human legs on their horse, you'll have to find me some websites to peruse. And I'm not talking one or two isolated instances. Lynchings were not one or two isolated instances.

RE: Amherst
http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/amherst/lord_jeff.html
"Some people have doubted these stories; other people, believing the stories, nevertheless assert that the infected blankets were not intentionally distributed to the Indians, or that Lord Jeff himself is not to blame for the germ warfare tactic."

It was Captain Simeon Ecuyer who distibuted the blankets. Never been proven to be true that Amherst was involved.

RE: Lynchings. Let me be the first to say I'm not against vigilantism. However, I do not agree with lynching a person for no reason other than their skin is a different color, or they are courting the woman I want to court, or they are building a house next to me and I don't want them there. To want someone dead when the only thing they have done is to be born different, or to be in the wrong place at the wrong time is selfish and indulgent. Could it be beneficial? In the long run, anything can be beneficial, for example the killing of Abraham Lincoln. He probably did more by being killed that he would have if he'd lived. Was it beneficial? In a round about way, yes. Was it just or right? No.

The semantics will kill you.
So will Never and Always.
:D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member