CO CO - Candace Hiltz, 17, Fremont County, 15 Aug 2006

All great info. I started following this a couple of months ago and it's on my list of cases to check regularly. Sounded like a huge cover up from the beginning and probably would have never gone any further without Mr Ratzlaff! Who forgets to pay the rent on the storage unit full of murder evidence.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

All great info. I started following this a couple of months ago and it's on my list of cases to check regularly. Sounded like a huge cover up from the beginning and probably would have never gone any further without Mr Ratzlaff! Who forgets to pay the rent on the storage unit full of murder evidence.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Its a miracle he defaulted on the storage fee. He knew what he had in there; knew it would blow up in his face if he lost the storage. I wonder what happened that led to it; whether he got bills sent to his house; if so did he move or ignore them? Maybe he did "paperless"; got notifications via email; if so, did his spam filter put them in the spam box or did he ignore them? Maybe he had electronics issues like me; I've had cell, computer and tablet issues the last year.

Did he think that since he's a cop they wouldn't put his storage up for auction? That's what runs thru my mind since seeing the 1st article about the evidence in the storage. How stupid could he be? Seems like whatever happened there was a higher power in charge to step in. Such a miracle it blew up in his face.

Praying Candace's family gets justice, justice for Candace and her daughter who witnessed her murder.

Hi not from US so forgive ignorance but when I use google maps I notice Cannon City is close to Pueblo is that the same legal jurisdiction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi not from US so forgive ignorance but when I use google maps I notice Cannon City is close to Pueblo is that the same legal jurisdiction?

Colorado, per Wiki, has what's called home rule municipalities. Not 100% sure what that actually means, but Canon City is Fremont County and Pueblo is Pueblo County. They would have their own sheriff's depts, etc, but would fall under State Police and CBI jurisdiction. Anyone here from CO? What's a home rule municipality? :seeya:

I'm from New Jersey so can't answer.

There are corrupt cops all over.

I hope these are not all the charges we're going to see against Dodd

Ex-Fremont sheriff's deputy facing 3 misdemeanor, petty charges - By Tracy Harmon - May 5, 2017 Updated 20 hrs ago

CANON CITY -- A former Fremont County sheriff's detective is facing three charges in connection with the alleged mishandling of evidence from a 10-year-old homicide case.

Robert Dodd, who had attained the rank of lieutenant, was charged Thursday with abuse of public records, a misdemeanor; and two counts of second-degree official misconduct, which are petty offenses.

According to the charging document, Dodd "knowing he had not been authorized by the custodian of the public record to do so, unlawfully and knowingly altered a public record," which led to the abuse of public records charge. The date range of the offense is sometime between Dec. 25 and Dec. 30, which was after the Dec. 17 date that Canon City resident Rick Ratzlaff got possession of evidence in a defaulted storage unit that had belonged to Dodd.

"The charge doesn't indicate or require what specific item we are talking about," said District Attorney Molly Chilson. "I cannot comment on the facts of the case."....

.... The charges also alleged that between Aug. 15, 2006, and Dec. 30, 2016, Dodd, "a public servant, unlawfully, knowingly, arbitrarily and capriciously refrained from performing a duty imposed upon him by law," in connection with the official misconduct charges.

The date of Aug. 15, 2006, is significant because that is the day that Candace Hiltz, 17, was shot seven times in her Copper Gulch home 25 miles southwest of Canon City. The evidence recovered from the storage locker included blood-soaked women's socks, a blanket, rope, hatchet and other items believed to be linked with the Hiltz homicide, which Dodd helped investigate a decade ago.

As for Pueblo, there is another case they've done nothing about. Thomas Cook age 26, Pueblo, missing since Aug 14, 2013. Tommy and his dad had a fight, Tommy supposedly walked off to cool down. Some how it got said that he may be hitch hiking to family in Kansas, but he took nothing, no clothes, wallet. Pueblo has pretty much ignored his mothers phone calls, my friend had issues getting him listed in NamUs when he 1st went missing; Pueblo wouldn't participate. I'd really love to know where he is, did he go somewhere to commit suicide? I pray his mom gets answers.

Thanks for posting it! I wonder if her family may see justice! All I have to say is that it had to happen this way; otherwise the public would not know, Dodd would have been able to be on some kind of paid leave. As of now he's retired, maybe he will see jail time.

According to the complaint, between Dec. 25, 2016, and Dec. 30, 2016, Dodd knowingly altered a public record even though he had not been authorized as a custodian of the record. The details of what Dodd altered were not disclosed.

The complaint also states that between and including Aug. 15, 2006, and Dec. 20, 2016, "Dodd, a public servant, unlawfully, knowingly, arbitrarily and capriciously refrained from performing a duty imposed upon him by law."

What led to the charges against Dodd was the discovery of evidence in a storage unit that belonged to him. The evidence surrounded the 2006 murder of 17-year-old Candace Hiltz.

Among the items discovered were a bloody rope, an ax and boxes of paperwork.

Hiltz was found dead Aug. 15, 2006, in a family home in the Copper Gulch area. According to Hiltz's autopsy - which was obtained by a Colorado Open Records Act request - Hiltz was shot six times in the head and once in the chest.

The autopsy also revealed three types of guns could have been used in her murder and that she was shot both in the front and the back.

"The paths of the bullets are steeply downward, back to front, and left to right," the autopsy said.

James Hiltz, Candace's brother, was a person of interest in the murder but never was charged. The family doesn't believe James was the murderer.

Emails between John Cooper, evidence custodian at the FCSO, and CBI Agent Julie Petterson, reveal that CBI was looking for DNA on the evidence confiscated from Dodd's storage unit.

Guess what I totally missed? The fact that Lea Porter's murderer, Christopher Adam Waide, grew up a mere 3.5 miles from where Candace was murdered in Cotopaxi. In the mountains of Colorado, this is like being next door neighbors, lol. Christopher's mother, when interviewed, said that Christopher had admitted to her that he had stalked a girl he planned on raping and murdering that lived in a trailer, but was scared away by the dog. Interestingly, Candace's dog was killed 3 days prior to her murder. I can't find out if Candace went to the same school in Cotopaxi that Christopher went to, but as with Lea, they were probably acquaintances. Candace was only 2 years older than Christopher. While I'm happy to see from your post, Roselvr, that CBI is comparing DNA from the evidence in the storage locker, I'm not sure it will be usable in a trial because it has been horribly contaminated. Also, there have been rumors about Christopher and a friend having a very sick manifesto about rape and murder that was found by other classmates. I had heard about this from a friend who lives up there when Lea went missing. Candace was killed by two people. And here's another fun fact of the day. Back in 1976, the partial remains of a murdered woman were found in the alley behind Christopher's grandmother's house in Pueblo. Her name was Sharon Copp, and to this day, it remains one of Pueblo's most grisly, unsolved murders. There sure are a lot of "coincidences" here, aren't there? https://www.facebook.com/helpfindle...020808181219/1913941248822504/?type=3&theater

From what see Lea was recently murdered; Candace was murdered 11 years ago. You're right though; 2, maybe more murders in the area sound like a lot

Many years separate the murders, but one surname keeps coming up.

I really wanted someone to say "Eureka! So Christopher Waide, Lea Porter and Candace Hiltz all likely went to the same small mountain school, at the same time!" What a coincidence.

I really wanted someone to say "Eureka! So Christopher Waide, Lea Porter and Candace Hiltz all likely went to the same small mountain school, at the same time!" What a coincidence.

I don't understand how they went to the same school at the same time; Candace is 10 years older

and the scandals continue....
CANON CITY -- Four officers who amount to the entire supervisory staff of the patrol division at the Fremont County Sheriff's Office have been placed on administrative leave.

The action brings the total to 11 Fremont County sheriff's officers who have been placed on administrative leave this year.

The officers include Sgt. Dave Baroz, Sgt. Felix Montoya, Sgt. Chad Myers and Cpl. Bradley Ross. None of the officers work the same shift together and work to supervise patrol deputies, according to an unnamed source who spoke on condition of anonymity.
http://www.chieftain.com/news/regio...cle_4e40a982-d365-5e8e-96b2-c920f441a38b.html

Wow! I just ran across this thread and read through the City-data and here. All I can say is what a mess!!!

This may be long, my apologies in advance.

I want to make sure I'm not missing large sections, because some of the articles I can't seem to be able to find for some reason (phone maybe).

Ok. Initially the SD was called to the victims home as one of her brothers was being looked at in some burglaries in the area. One of the officers was in a verbal dispute with her, as she tried to defend her brother.
2 weeks later the family dog was located tied to a tree in an area over a hill behind the home. The dog was bludgeoned with the ax and tied up with the rope. Then this girl was home with her baby, mom went to town, moms friends son come over to check on them per moms request. The boy heard the baby crying, carried the baby next door. Mom, races home, follows a blood trail and locates the victim under her bed.

1. Where(room) was the baby at that time?
2. Why (since they were going to check on them) did none of them try to locate the victim? They waited for the mom to return. Apparently a bloody blanket was sticking our from under the bed!

The CBI was initially called to the scene and they turned the case over to the SD.

Why? Was it because they felt the case was not necessarily in their requirements and local PD can handle it?
Dodd and his partner show up and they are left in charge of the evidence they didn't bother to collect.

Mother and son box and handle all of the evidentiary pieces 4 days later. It was a murder and that whole home should have been investigated and often connect families with agencies that can help clean up crime scenes.
Somewhere in the family page, someone had pulled her through the house on a blanket?? Who does that??
That would have contaminated the scene more.

Then for no apparent reason, they soon in on the brother with mental instability, Chase him thru the mountains, catch him, arrest him with zero proof and charge him with murder. He's labeled insane and was never tried, but this case was labeled as solved? Because now, they make it appear as though they MAY reopen it. It should have never been closed, since the alleged was never convicted.

Now, a superior deputy puts all of the evidence in a storage locker (Do we know how long it was there?) He feels he's gotten away. (Someone will win this locker at auction, it will look like junk and throw it away. The case is solved who cares). He's caught, now the whole sheriff's department is being placed on paid leave??? The number one guilty party has now moved to Texas??

Is the brother still in treatment?
Why was the Sheriff asking Mr R if he can clear up the other things can he have the storage locker??
Nothing against the victim, but one of the other cases mentioned was a girl who was dating another PD officer. This man was married. The autopsy narrative sounds like part of it was confused with this ones case. Didn't it say Candace's married boyfriend found her??

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Wow! I just ran across this thread and read through the City-data and here. All I can say is what a mess!!!

This may be long, my apologies in advance.

I want to make sure I'm not missing large sections, because some of the articles I can't seem to be able to find for some reason (phone maybe).

Ok. Initially the SD was called to the victims home as one of her brothers was being looked at in some burglaries in the area. One of the officers was in a verbal dispute with her, as she tried to defend her brother.
2 weeks later the family dog was located tied to a tree in an area over a hill behind the home. The dog was bludgeoned with the ax and tied up with the rope. Then this girl was home with her baby, mom went to town, moms friends son come over to check on them per moms request. The boy heard the baby crying, carried the baby next door. Mom, races home, follows a blood trail and locates the victim under her bed.

1. Where(room) was the baby at that time?
2. Why (since they were going to check on them) did none of them try to locate the victim? They waited for the mom to return. Apparently a bloody blanket was sticking our from under the bed!

The CBI was initially called to the scene and they turned the case over to the SD.

Why? Was it because they felt the case was not necessarily in their requirements and local PD can handle it?
Dodd and his partner show up and they are left in charge of the evidence they didn't bother to collect.

Mother and son box and handle all of the evidentiary pieces 4 days later. It was a murder and that whole home should have been investigated and often connect families with agencies that can help clean up crime scenes.
Somewhere in the family page, someone had pulled her through the house on a blanket?? Who does that??
That would have contaminated the scene more.

Then for no apparent reason, they soon in on the brother with mental instability, Chase him thru the mountains, catch him, arrest him with zero proof and charge him with murder. He's labeled insane and was never tried, but this case was labeled as solved? Because now, they make it appear as though they MAY reopen it. It should have never been closed, since the alleged was never convicted.

Now, a superior deputy puts all of the evidence in a storage locker (Do we know how long it was there?) He feels he's gotten away. (Someone will win this locker at auction, it will look like junk and throw it away. The case is solved who cares). He's caught, now the whole sheriff's department is being placed on paid leave??? The number one guilty party has now moved to Texas??

Is the brother still in treatment?
Why was the Sheriff asking Mr R if he can clear up the other things can he have the storage locker??
Nothing against the victim, but one of the other cases mentioned was a girl who was dating another PD officer. This man was married. The autopsy narrative sounds like part of it was confused with this ones case. Didn't it say Candace's married boyfriend found her??

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

You may want to post on the CD thread, maybe Miss Terry can answer.

I have too much on my plate to refresh my memory by scanning everything.

Her brother has not been released as far as I know.

I wish there was an online petition

Candace Hiltz's family not considered 'victims' in Robert Dodd court proceedings - By Sarah Matott - The Daily Record - Posted: 08/25/2017 05:06:01 PM MDT

Family members of Candace Hiltz will not, by legal definition, be considered as victims as court proceedings continue for former Fremont County Sheriff's Office Detective Robert Dodd.....

...Dodd is scheduled for a pre-trial conference Wednesday but most likely will not make a physical appearance again.

On Thursday, Candace Hiltz's sister-in-law Heather Hiltz emailed Chilson regarding the family's involvement with the case. Heather Hiltz's email to Chilson and Chilson's response were all forwarded to the Daily Record by Heather Hiltz. She said she feels her rights and her family's rights are being violated after Chilson denied their request to be considered victims in the case under the Colorado Victim's Crime Act.

Under the Colorado Victim's Crime Act, victims in a case must be notified about all proceedings and have the opportunity to be heard in court.

"She said because Dodd isn't being charged with her murder, the Hiltz family isn't being considered as victims," Heather Hiltz said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125
Back