CO CO - Chad Pallansch, 49, of Ft Collins, attempting 28-mi route from East Inlet Trailhead, Rocky Mountain Natl Park, last contact 27 Sep 2023

I hope the search won't be compromised due to the government shutdown. National Park sites across the country, gates will be locked, visitor centers will be closed, and thousands of park rangers will be furloughed.
I work in federal law enforcement and have been through more than one actual or proposed furlough due to shutdown. In the event of a shutdown activities to protect life and property remain ongoing, which i expressly authorized by law and necessarily implied by law including LE and emergency response. Government Shutdown Will Close America’s National Parks, Impede Visitor Access

First, I deeply hope this search has a happy ending, but that possibility diminishes as the minutes and hours pass. Almost certainly the nighttime temps are freezing or below along the route he was running.

It appears that he's an experienced trail runner and has done off road marathons and even ultra marathons. Almost certainly participants in these events are required to use a SPOT PLB (personal locator beacon).
A SPOT PLB allows others to track your location and progress through an APP or a website like TrackLeaders.com And obviously, the user can also send out a call for assistance.

MOO! Why, why WHY was he not using a SPOT or other PLB, especially on an extremely long run when it sounds as though he was crossing scree slopes to link up existing trails on his route? Even the latest high-end IPhones (iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15, or iPhone 15 Pro) have an emergency SOS via satellite feature.

I know these types of people are super confident in their abilities when they set out for a run, but the mountains are unforgiving, especially at this time of year.

My heart is breaking for his loved ones and family as they wait for news or possibly even participate in the search.
Garmin inReach would be perfect, but, as you say....

An Apple iphone 14 would work well in a location like this, where trees are sparse. You just dial 911 and it follows through with a satellite connection if there's no cell service. (no satellite subscription needed, even). The screen tells you where to point (and sometimes where to move to) to optimize the satellite connection.

I believe if you have an AppleWatch, and the iphone, it would call the SOS if you fell over ("fall detection") and didn't respond. Don't quote me on that: the AppleWatch might have to have a cell plan to do that.

I have tripped and fallen over several times while hiking in the last few months, and each time, my watch offers my phone to call 911 if I don't respond.

I wish the trail running community would get behind the Recreate Responsibly movement and consider the implications for putting others at risk if you don't minimize your own risks.

Last edited:
He does appears to have 2 types of watches in that running photo. Though they might not have cellular connection.

It does not seem he brought much with him. Considering it is September in the mountains, bringing layers and basic survival supplies would be a must have for seasoned mountaineers. Even in July, you can get caught in hail or snow storms in the mountains. There are so many light-weight supplies these days. Do we know if he had a pack with anything? I can't imagine a seasoned runner would be totally unprepared.

Hopefully he is merely injured somewhere, shale slopes and talus can be "ankle breakers" especially if one is rushing or tired. Unlikely, but running through mountainous areas can also place you at risk for a predator attack, cougars mainly.

Articles also also mention potential routes. For such long trek, any reason he didn't share his routes with friends or family? I hope he is located soon.

Thanks for this correction! Totally incorrect assumption on my part based on long-distance mountain biking events.

Are runners in these evens using chip timers and if so, does the chip track the runners progress and location on the course?
The races I’ve been in or crewed or volunteered for all had chip timers and mats at the aid stations. They always said if you leave the race early, leave your chip at the aid station where you bailed or you would be receiving a call after the cutoff time for the next mat To see that you were ok.

I believe if you have an AppleWatch, and the iphone, it would call the SOS if you fell over ("fall detection") and didn't respond.
I became aware that an iPhone can "sense" an accident and call 911 when this happened: Couple Rescued from Remote Calif. Canyon after Car Careens Over Cliff: 'Nothing Short of a Miracle
A passenger's iPhone 14 detected a crash and made an SOS call via satellite in an area with no cell service, allowing for a helicopter rescue after a car plunged into the steep canyon

This couple was rescued WITHIN 30 MINUTES. No one saw their car go over the 300-foot cliff, the car was not visible from the highway and the new iPhone owner didn't realize her phone had this capability. The miracle is that both survived this crash without significant injuries.

I wish the trail running community would get behind the Recreate Responsibly movement and consider the implications for putting others at risk if you don't minimize your own risks.
Chad Pallansch is the 3rd runner to go missing in Colorado over the last year.

In southwestern Colorado:
Oct 1, 2022 David Lunde of Durango, CO, an experienced trail runner, went for a run on a rugged trail around the the peaks above La Plata Canyon. He never returned and has not been found.

June 24, 2023 Ian O'Brien, an experienced ultra marathoner, disappeared on the other side of the La Plata Mountains. He summited Hesperus Peak around 6:30 pm, sent his partner Beth a selfie and never returned to his campsite. When the official search was called off, numerous volunteers continued in a well organized search for quite some time.
Two fisherman discovered Ian's body on Sept. 2, 2023 in the West Fork of the Mancos River. The cause of death was drowning. He almost certainly lost his footing and was swept downstream as he tried to cross. The West Fork at that point is more like a small rushing stream, but the water is frigid snow melt. At that time of year, creeks and rivers rise as the day goes on and the sun starts melting snow. The river may have been significantly higher than when he crossed earlier in the day.

Now Chad Pallansch is missing. All three have in common that searchers knew the general (and very large) vicinity of where they might be found, but have no idea where to search specifically.

Reported a few hours ago on Fox 31 KDVR.com: "...Pallansch had not attempted the route previously..."

I became aware that an iPhone can "sense" an accident and call 911 when this happened: Couple Rescued from Remote Calif. Canyon after Car Careens Over Cliff: 'Nothing Short of a Miracle
A passenger's iPhone 14 detected a crash and made an SOS call via satellite in an area with no cell service, allowing for a helicopter rescue after a car plunged into the steep canyon

This couple was rescued WITHIN 30 MINUTES. No one saw their car go over the 300-foot cliff, the car was not visible from the highway and the new iPhone owner didn't realize her phone had this capability. The miracle is that both survived this crash without significant injuries.
Wow. Thanks for sharing this as I didn't know an iPhone had this function!

Wow. Thanks for sharing this as I didn't know an iPhone had this function!
A google search shows it's on Apple iPhone 14 and later, introduced at some point in 2022, also on Apple Watch Series 8.

The downside is apparently it has triggered a lot of false emergency alerts, but still, it's an amazing function.

The NBCLosAngeles.com article has an overview: These iPhone User's Lives Were Saved Thanks to the New Crash Detection Feature. Does Your Phone Have It?

*Sorry about the double post upthread, everyone. I thought I'd cleared the duplicate post using the edit function.*

FoxNews.com reported today that Pallansch "...had personal navigation with him, though officials said the device was not designed for emergency assistance."
and
"Search efforts on Sunday involved 55 total members, including 38 search team members in the field. In addition to ground crews, the team used air reconnaissance and a heat sensing fixed-wing flight."

The weather forecast for Rocky Mountain National Park is not looking good for the missing man or the searchers. A bit of rain today; temps in the 20s tonight with some snow in the forecast tonight and tomorrow. It will be much colder at the highest elevations.

Multiple emergency crews continued their search this past weekend for a missing trail runner in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Videos by Outdoors​

According to a press release, those who know Chad Pallansch last heard from him on Wednesday, September 27. Pallansch was reported missing on September 28, and park rangers found his vehicle at the trailhead.

10/02/2023

Please found him safe really soon! Optimistic.

Recently, on Monday, October 1, RMNP officials stated that 55 individuals were involved in search efforts, including 38 search team members who went out in the field to find Chad Pallansch.

Rescue efforts were focused on the Boulder Grand Pass, Mount Alice, McHenry’s Peak, Arrowhead, Stoneman Pass, Cheifs Head Peak, Thatchtop, Powell Peak, and Andrews Glacier areas.

RMNP officials added teams were also searching trail sections on the west side of the park that were potentially on his route because recent winds at the higher elevations were hampering air operations.

So far, search efforts have included air reconnaissance, a heat-sensing fixed-wing flight, as well as ground crews on the North Inlet and East Inlet Trails, Black Lake and Upper Glacier Gorge area, Thunder Lake, and Lake Powell.

October 2, 2023 6:45 AM

No updates; Chad Pallansch has been missing for a week. As weather conditions at high elevation deteriorate and become much more challenging, a little prayer for the continuing safety and well being of the many search and rescue folks.

OCT 5, 2023
Helicopter flights happened Thursday and are planned again Friday. As weather permits, ground searchers and dog teams will be flown to several locations on Friday. RMNP said that in order to limit scent distractions and assist the effectiveness of the dog teams, a closure is in effect beginning Thursday at 6 p.m. from Mount Alice to McHenry's Peak including Black Lake and Lion Lake 1, Lion Lake 2 and Snowbank Lake

Snow, ice and wind at high elevations have hindered ground search efforts, but teams continued to investigate and review aerial photographs, according to park officials. Crews were also conducting helicopter flights on Thursday to find landing sites for ground searchers and dog teams.

A portion of the park from Mount Alice to McHenry’s Peak will be closed starting at 6 p.m. Thursday to minimize scent distractions for dog teams that are expected to be flown in on Friday, according to park officials.

The closure includes Black Lake, Lion Lake 1, Lion Lake 2 and Snowbank Lake.

OCT 5, 2023
1696561003650.png

As part of the ongoing investigation, Rocky Mountain National Park Search and Rescue efforts were spent reviewing photographs collected from air reconnaissance operations, according to officials.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann
Back