CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those of you who live outside the US, do you not find it strange that police will not address the community at all? Just wondering, it seems like a missing child in the UK or Australia get tons of coverage and police/community communication.

ETA: I know it happens more often here in the US, but not in this little town, and really, not that often when there is no resolution after two months.

Oh my FruitTingles. I was so crossing my fingers for a New Years baby!!

Thinking this thread needs to be on baby watch at least till the 14th :giggle:

I thought she would have been here then too. But probably on baby watch until the 16th! This baby sure is making us wait!

I thought she would have been here then too. But probably on baby watch until the 16th! This baby sure is making us wait!

Even if you didn't already know your baby was a girl, you'd probably have figured that out by now with her being so late. My first was 3 weeks late. We didn't induce in those days, we waited for nature to take it's course. But I figured she was a girl because of how late she was.

We are still on baby watch, huh?? I was wondering if you were still carrying. Get your rest now, you'll need it. :)

To those of you who live outside the US, do you not find it strange that police will not address the community at all? Just wondering, it seems like a missing child in the UK or Australia get tons of coverage and police/community communication.

I do , I said this a few threads back . This is a very strange case when I compare it to the McCann's , Soham , James Bulger , Sarah Payne and some others . All of these cases got masses of media and LE do press conferences and parents do appeals . It is clearly a lot smaller of a country than the U,S,A but even so LE do seem Lax here IMO .

I do , I said this a few threads back . This is a very strange case when I compare it to the McCann's , Soham , James Bulger , Sarah Payne and some others . All of these cases got masses of media and LE do press conferences and so on with the parents . It is clearly a lot small country than the U,S,A but even so LE do seem Lax here IMO .

Please send Sherlock or Agatha over. We can use them in this case. lol

I thought about this, but then realized that the only cases we hear about are the ones with publicity and good communications. Otherwise we probably wouldn't hear about them - and you'd certainly only know if you followed Websleuths or other boards covering these types of cases.

Look at all the MP cases that don't get much traction because - for whatever reason - it doesn't get much press coverage. DaShad Laquinn Smith is a recent example - vanished without a trace yet you don't hear much about him. We have 24 threads on Dylan and part of one on Smith.

I do , I said this a few threads back . This is a very strange case when I compare it to the McCann's , Soham , James Bulger , Sarah Payne and some others . All of these cases got masses of media and LE do press conferences and parents do appeals . It is clearly a lot smaller of a country than the U,S,A but even so LE do seem Lax here IMO .

This is an unusual case. I have not usually seen missing kids cases be so quiet on the LE end of it. Usually they hold a few press conferences and the parents speak out more. Elaine did at first, but she has gotten quiet. I am wondering if she is being told things that we do not know yet.

Please send Sherlock or Agatha over. We can use them in this case. lol

Will do :D

But I will say your justice system is a million times better than ours . Life means life over there . Our system is now a complete joke !

ETA: I know it happens more often here in the US, but not in this little town, and really, not that often when there is no resolution after two months.
I think it really depends on the age of the child and the circumstances of their disappearance even here though. There are cases that make the news the same day they go missing yet others we don't hear about until weeks later...if they're afforded any media attention at all.

IMO younger children and possible stranger abductions are far more likely to be given press here than presumed run aways, family abductions and older kids. (Unless one of the latter has some salacious details that can also be added. :banghead:)

I think it really depends on the age of the child and the circumstances of their disappearance even here though. There are cases that make the news the same day they go missing yet others we don't hear about until weeks later...if they're afforded any media attention at all.

IMO younger children and possible stranger abductions are far more likely to be given press here than presumed run aways, family abductions and older kids. (Unless one of the latter has some salacious details that can also be added. :banghead:)

Dylan's case seems unusual enough that you would think it would be of more interest, small town, holiday week, etc. i am just baffled by the silence, unless LE is very focused on one person.

Yet it is difficult to imagine, IMO, LE having enough to be suspicious about other than MR, where they also would not have enough to arrest. I mean, if they were looking closely at a random person, that would most likely be due to some evidence that has surfaced, whereas, as we have seen in the past, if they are looking at close family, finding evidence is much more difficult.

MOO, but it seems to me that they do have an idea of what may have happened. Just no proof. So where does it go from here? Hope its not like so many others that go cold and is never solved. MOO.

Dylan's case seems unusual enough that you would think it would be of more interest, small town, holiday week, etc. i am just baffled by the silence, unless LE is very focused on one person.

Yet it is difficult to imagine, IMO, LE having enough to be suspicious about other than MR, where they also would not have enough to arrest. I mean, if they were looking closely at a random person, that would most likely be due to some evidence that has surfaced, whereas, as we have seen in the past, if they are looking at close family, finding evidence is much more difficult.
And unfortunately without LE holding pressers media attention tends to dry up relatively quickly. We've followed so, so many of the same cases, Clu. I couldn't agree more with everything you've posted. :)

I think it's because my kiddos are so close to Dylan's age (those cases are harder for me) but this one really hurts. It feels like no one is looking for him - I know that's not true but I just really want this boy brought home already. :(

I don't think it is fair to say that anything he does is going to be seen as wrong.

I would not think it was wrong at all if he was out and about and seeking media
nonstop, to talk about his missing son. If he had been doing this all along for two months now, to the best of his ability, we would not be likely to be analyzing every word spoken about him by his ex, iMO. But we only have silence, and memories of what ER has said.

And then people would say that he was just trying to lead LE away from him. There's cases where the parents are very strong suspected (if not by LE then from sleuths and others) and they're always been active in the media. Look at the McCanns for example. If MR is innocent he probably knows that people are going to suspect him if he talks in the media so he probably wants to go unnoticed and deal with his grief.

I agree with everyone who said that the word isn't getting out enough but I wonder how much that's the family's fault. If not for WS, I wouldn't know of many resources out there. I don't live in the US but if I did I would seriously doubt my chances of ever getting in major nationwide talkshows that people suggested (although I would try, and we don't know that ER hasn't). Compare that to how some posts from relatives of missing people who are on WS, and to me it's very plain that the average person does NOT have enough info on what to do when their friends and family are missing. LE and local media seems to be the most common route. Additionally, the sad truth about the media is that (IMO) many times they're not just dealing with important stories but with money as well. Unless new outlets take on ER/MR, or unless there are new developments or at least an anniversary, the same outlets they've already been on won't interview them again to report the same things again.

If he thought that it was okay to hitchhike, then there is someone in his world that told him stories about hitchhiking at "his age". I'm speculating, but that's what I've seen in the past. Was he ever told what to do to get out of a potentilal hitchhiking abduction?

Not that there is a way to get out of it, but jumping out of the moving vehicle seems preferable to certain death (Ivan Millat; Austraita). I heard something on a 48 hours mystery stoy that stayed with me ... 300/1000 vehicles that were checked in connection with a missing young woman had their interior door handles removed, zip ties, duct tape and a box cutte ... all for construction, of course ... and missing handles were simply a dis-repair oversight. I don't think I'll ever forget that.

I do think if you are in Innocent then you speak out and clear your name and then get on with finding your son .

I am a lot more suspicious by him being quiet as it looks like he has something to hide . Why else would you refuse to speak to the press when they are tryin to help you spread the word about your son ?!

IMO

There are different laws regarding the release of information during a murder, or missing person, investigation ... depending on the country. The Netherlands, for example, has a law such that the suspect's name cannot be release prior to trial. The US violated that law repeatedly during the Natalie Holloway case because US laws are different. Florida has an open door when it comes to murder and missing person's investigations. They may as well beg the accused for an absurd explanation that defies logic but can scrape by under the law. North Carolina is a bit funny in that they eventually release the documents and the trial allows the prosecution to impugn the defendant prior to presenting evidence. That just seems bizarre.

Missing people in most parts of the world are addressed based on their circumstances. If the circumstances warrant an investigation, it happens, if they don't, it doesn't.

I doubt that this happens in any small town ... except when someone in the community (most likely) is socially dysfunctional.

Everyone should take one more look at their naighbor and think about where he was, whether he's a socially dysfunctional know-it-all that deserves a swirly but everyone if being nice or protective.

This may not be a good thought, but has suicide been ruled out? It seems that people that commit suicide do not want to be found and sometimes disappear for years before some remnant shows up.

And then people would say that he was just trying to lead LE away from him. There's cases where the parents are very strong suspected (if not by LE then from sleuths and others) and they're always been active in the media. Look at the McCanns for example. If MR is innocent he probably knows that people are going to suspect him if he talks in the media so he probably wants to go unnoticed and deal with his grief.

I agree with everyone who said that the word isn't getting out enough but I wonder how much that's the family's fault. If not for WS, I wouldn't know of many resources out there. I don't live in the US but if I did I would seriously doubt my chances of ever getting in major nationwide talkshows that people suggested (although I would try, and we don't know that ER hasn't). Compare that to how some posts from relatives of missing people who are on WS, and to me it's very plain that the average person does NOT have enough info on what to do when their friends and family are missing. LE and local media seems to be the most common route. Additionally, the sad truth about the media is that (IMO) many times they're not just dealing with important stories but with money as well. Unless new outlets take on ER/MR, or unless there are new developments or at least an anniversary, the same outlets they've already been on won't interview them again to report the same things again.

Agreed. People say it's to the parents, and it's not that I don't think they play a role, but the media is the ones who ultimately decide how much coverage a case gets.

I was thinking today about cases that have taken more time to solve and where it was the parent and where there was suspicion but LE didn't seem to have enough proof to nab them. One such case was the mother and stepfather of little Keisha Abrahams. It took LE 9 months to get them, but get them they did at 1am on the date of what should have been Keishas 7th birthday. They had lied about when Keisha disappeared, said they thought she had been abducted when really they had killed her and dumped her body in bushland near a park in Shalvey. And like this case people were suspicious about those who were the last to see her.

Meh. If you think communication is bad in the US regarding missing persons cases, you should follow some of the Canadian cases. Police release a statement (usually a press release). 90% of the time they don't even make the news. Missing children get more attention but even then, it doesn't last very long unless family members get their faces in front of the camera and plead.

I get most of my cases and updates from facebook. This guy does a great job in keeping the public informed. If it wasn't for him, the cases would be almost non existent . Media drops their story almost immediately. LE doesn't release anything. And even when a case is resolved, good luck trying to get information. Most times, we have to wait for the trial to get details.

Take a look at how many there are. Most I didn't even know about even in my own province!!!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/MissingPeopleCanada?fref=ts

RCMP in this case stopped searching after 6 weeks.

http://www.cumberlandnewsnow.com/Ne...to-seek-answers-in-son&rsquos-disappearance/1

Sad reality, my friend.

ETA: O/T here is a little info on the man who created the facebook page. He's awesome. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Finding+missing+people+calling/7774764/story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000