GUILTY CO - Elijah McClain, 23, died in chokehold & injection, Denver, 2019 *Police & paramedics charged, 1 guilty* *city settled*

SDFinColo

Former Member
Reaction score
Officers, paramedics charged in Elijah McClain’s 2019 death

DENVER (AP) — Colorado’s attorney general says a grand jury has indicted three officers and two paramedics in the death of Elijah McClain.

The announcement Wednesday comes two years after the 23-year-old Black man was put in a chokehold and injected with a powerful sedative in suburban Denver. All five were charged with manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide, while some also face other charges.

McClain’s death gained widespread attention during last year’s protests against racial injustice and police brutality.

I have followed this case of Elijah’s from the beginning, what happened to this young man, was a clear case of police and paramedic brutality. He did nothing wrong, he was walking down the street and was attacked by three police officers, and put in a chokehold. The paramedics who were called gave him a shot of Ketamine, which caused him to go into cardiac arrest. His offense, walking from a convenience store, in a ski mask. I felt grief stricken, as the details of the case were revealed. As of today, the Colorado AG announced multiple charges for the paramedics and officers involved, including manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide. I pray for Elihah’s family and friends, for peace and healing. Sorry, I don’t do links, however, there are many articles on this case available.

I am happy to see that the wheels of justice are finally turning for this innocent young man. It has been a sad case to follow ---realizing that he was just a young man who went to the store and never got to go home.

He deserves a thread here. Thanks for the update.

I'm very familiar with the bigger cities in Colorado. My experience was that they are very white, homophobic and racist. Zayd Atkinson couldn't even pick up garbage around his apartment in Boulder without being harassed by police and having guns drawn on him. Too many horrendous crimes. I've started a list and it is sickening.

My thoughts are with Elijah and his family.

Last edited:

All of the defendants entered pleas of not guilty as their trial dates were set in the Elijah McClain case. On Friday, all five defendants, including three former Aurora police officers and two former Aurora paramedics, entered not guilty pleas in an Adams County Court.

McClain was confronted by officers on Aug. 24, 2019 after a call to report a suspicious person wearing a mask near Colfax Avenue and Billings Street. He was walking home with groceries while wearing a ski mask at the time, something his family said was not uncommon as they say he was anemic and frequently felt cold.

The trial for Roedema and Rosenblatt has been scheduled to begin on July 11. The trial for Cooper and Cichuniec has been scheduled to begin on Aug. 7. The trial for Woodyard has been scheduled to begin on Sept. 18.

The attorneys for Sheneen McClain, Elijah McClain's mother, announced the family reached a settlement with the city of Aurora in November 2021.

ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. — Two Aurora police officers sat in court for opening statements in their trials Wednesday, nearly 1,500 days after Elijah McClain was stopped by police, put in a carotid hold and injected with ketamine. He died a few days later.

Jury selection wrapped up on Wednesday morning and opening statements began after lunch in the joint trial for Aurora Police Department (APD) officers Randy Roedema and Jason Rosenblatt (former). Both previously pleaded not guilty to charges of manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and second-degree assault.

They are two of five people facing a jury trial in this case: In addition to Roedema and Rosenblatt, a third officer, Nathan Woodyard, has a trial beginning Oct. 13 for the charges against him of reckless manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and assault. He is accused of putting McClain in the carotid hold. Two Aurora Fire Rescue paramedics — Peter Cichuniec and Jeremy Cooper — have trials beginning Nov. 17 and 27, respectively, for charges of reckless manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and assault, plus sentence enhancers. The paramedics are accused of injecting a significant amount of ketamine into McClain, causing him to overdose.

[…]

Prosecutor Jonathan Bunge with the Colorado Attorney General’s Office began by saying that evidence in this case will show beyond a reasonable doubt that both defendants violated their oaths and failed the mandates of their own police department. Meanwhile, there is no evidence that McClain had committed a crime, or was about to, Bunge said.

Within the 18 minutes McClain was in the custody of the defendants, he became a casualty of those who had sworn to protect him, Bunge said.

[…]

“Listen to Elijah’s words,” prosecutor Jonathan Bunge said as police body camera video was played. “When Elijah is on the ground handcuffed, he’s saying over and over and over again, ‘I can’t breathe. Please help me.’”

But instead of helping him, Bunge said, Aurora Police Officer Randy Roedema and his former colleague, Jason Rosenblatt, ignored McClain's pleas for help and told arriving paramedics that he had been resisting and had "crazy strength."

Then the paramedics gave McClain a sedative "as he was drifting closer and closer to death," Bunge said in Adams County District Court.

"The sedative was the very last thing he needed at the time," Bunge said.

Roedema and Rosenblatt, the first of five people charged with McClain's death to go on trial, listened quietly as Bunge laid out the government's case after Judge Mark Warner seated a jury of seven men and seven women, including two alternates. Most of the jurors appeared to be white.

Both Roedema and Rosenblatt are each charged with one count of manslaughter and one count of criminally negligent homicide. Both men have pleaded not guilty.
//////
In his opening statement, Roedema's lawyer, Reid Elkus, said his client wasn't on the scene when McClain was first stopped.

McClain didn't start resisting until another former Aurora police officer, Nathan Woodyard, placed a carotid hold on him, Elkus said. And it was the paramedics who diagnosed McClain with "excited delirium" and injected him with a lethal dose of ketamine, he said.

McClain died because Aurora Fire Rescue paramedic Jeremy Cooper injected too much ketamine for a man his size, Elkus said.

Rosenblatt's lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, said McClain was resisting furiously and at one point declared, "I intend to take my power back." He said Rosenblatt was "obligated" to help arrest McClain and at one point heard Roedema say McClain had "gone for" the gun of one of the officers.
/////
Woodyard, along with Cooper and another Aurora Fire Rescue paramedic, Peter Cichuniec, are also each charged with one count of manslaughter and one count of criminally negligent homicide. They also have pleaded not guilty.
////
Rosenblatt was fired in 2020 after texting “ha ha” in response to a picture sent to him by other officers, one of whom appeared to be administering a chokehold near a memorial for McClain.

Roedema remains on administrative leave without pay.

Cooper and Cichuniec are scheduled to be tried later this year after the Colorado Supreme Court on Monday denied their petitions to have their cases dismissed. They have been placed on administrative leave without pay.

Woodyard will be tried this year but a date has not been set, prosecutors said. He was fired after the incident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adayinthelifeofasd
Back