CO CO - Gilpin Co., WhtFem, 25-30, burned, off Hwy 119, overbite, Sep'52

She's the one that Silvia helped id, wintermute. Check out her website for a lot of info on Dot, and articles archived going back to 1954. It's well done. http://www.boulderjanedoe.com/index.html

Yes, Sylvia's site is fascinating. I grew up in Boulder, and I remember hearing about that poor unidentified girl. I was amazed when Sylvia finally identified her after all those years.
This is the first that I've read about the unidentified woman in Blackhawk.

I wish Silvia would come back to WS! Not that we don't have great folks here who ID the unidentified. They amaze me constantly. Carbuff, Carl, etc. This is the first I remember hearing about the BH Doe.It sounds like it was big news in the articles Silvia archived, but there's not much info about this case in them. I wish I were closer to go to the libraries and research this better. PS I lived on Flagstaff, Coal Creek and all the L towns in Boulder County lol

That's what I thought too, carbuff, so I reread it. They're talking about 2 different cases-the 25 yr old black haired girl was the BH Doe, the 17 yr old strawberry blond is the Boulder Doe, now known as Dorothy Gay Howard.

Since the police didn't think Demoth was the killer, I wonder if she was a victim of Dot's killer, thought to be Harvey Glatman, as well. He was in Colorado at the time.

Oops I should have refreshed lol.

After reading it three or four times, I think you're probably right, but boy is it confusing. Also, the sketch appears to show a blonde woman. But clearly one of the two women had black hair and we know it wasn't Dorothy Gay.

A bump for this dear lady, who I have named Betty. She has a DOE Network entry now:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1083ufco.html

I was ridiculously excited when I got the confirmation email today. It's been nearly 4 months since I turned the form in, and I almost forgot I had sent them the information. Here's to hoping this will be what it takes to get her name back.

A bump for this dear lady, who I have named Betty. She has a DOE Network entry now:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1083ufco.html

I was ridiculously excited when I got the confirmation email today. It's been nearly 4 months since I turned the form in, and I almost forgot I had sent them the information. Here's to hoping this will be what it takes to get her name back.

Thank you. Can we get her on NAMUS too?

Just came across this Jane Doe.Hope she gets her name back one day. Its sad that it was so long ago, her killer might not even be alive still

Yes, it was virtually unheard of in that era for a woman to wear more than two earrings so I think the third one might indicate that another woman was present at the time whether as an assailant, an accomplice or a witness.

What a mysterious case!

Has she been entered into Namus in the meantime? (On the Doe page it says she is not listed on Namus. ) Sue Doe Nimm, do you want to do that still?

I'm curious, have pictures of the items found with her ever been published? They might jog people's memory, if they are still alive, that is! People in her age range would be in their 90s now. Maybe fliers could be made and sent to retirement homes in the area?

From her Doe network page:

Clothing: A fragment of a turquoise sequinned blouse, metal rivets of blue jeans, and the sole of one shoe.

Jewelry: A rhinestone necklace and earrings.

Additional Personal Items: A small electric razor, a purse, and an empty lipstick container. Also found near the remains was a man’s ring with no setting.

Has it ever been investigated where the jewelry was likely bought or made? I wish there were more details regarding those items found with her. LE must have tried to find out where they were made/bought.

Since apparently nobody reported her missing, could she have been a foreigner, a tourist? Although I think at that time it was not very likely for a young woman to travel alone and a travel companion would have reported her missing - unless they were responsible for her death. Nevertheless, has it ever been attempted to match her to foreign missing persons' databases?

Are there databases of tourists coming to the US in that year? I guess not.

She should be exhumed and tested for dna!

It is interesting and an American version of the Isdal Woman Case.

I have family ties in New Mexico.

With black hair & the artist's rendering, are we looking for a Native American or Hispanic woman?

:seeya: and Merry Christmas

I wonder why the killer risked discovery by burning the body since someone could have seen the smoke and investigated. If they had buried her in the woods, she would probably have never been discovered.

Since apparently nobody reported her missing, could she have been a foreigner, a tourist?

Given the age range for this woman and the date of her death, she is actually spot on for a war bride from the UK or even Germany. There were several thousand British women who married GIs during and after the war, and all would have made their way to the US when their husbands were repatriated. Such a woman would have had no family and perhaps few friends nearby to ask questions if she went missing. If she had children by then they might well have been too young to remember her clearly in later years .

I'm guessing that she was probably fairly local, given that fewer people had cars at the time and travelling long distance more difficult and rarer.

She should be exhumed and tested for dna!

Agreed about exhumation. We need a much better facial reconstruction, and DNA and isotope testing. The overbite in the drawing is pretty extreme and distinctive, and may not have been so pronounced in reality.

Given the age range for this woman and the date of her death, she is actually spot on for a war bride from the UK or even Germany. There were several thousand British women who married GIs during and after the war .......

The number of war brides was much higher than I had imagined. According to Wikipedia around 100,000 came from the UK, around 150,000 from continental Europe and around 17,000 from Australia and NZ between 1942 and 1952.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_bride

Almost 270,000 young women immigrating within a decade is really quite a significant number.

Hello all, and thanks to the reader who contacted me directly about this case. I read every old newspaper article I could find on "Black Hawk Jane Doe" (also called Gilpin County JD, as Black Hawk is a town in Gilpin Co. Colorado) back in 2004, when I started my research on "Boulder Jane Doe." And, yes, BJD, a murder victim found in Boulder Co. in 1954, has been identified. See www.silviapettem.com, and especially the "Epilogue," for more information. Thanks, too, to those of you who mentioned my work on that case. Nice to be missed!

But, I haven't gone anywhere. I wrote a book (Someone's Daughter) on the BJD case and then a textbook for law enforcement (Cold Case Research). I'm currently writing "Pieces of the Puzzle: Hope for Families of Longterm Missing Persons."

The Black Hawk Jane Doe case is very challenging. It would be great to exhume her and do a new facial reconstruction, but I don't think anyone knows where, or even if, her remains are buried! And, a facial reconstruction has to be based on an intact skull...

I do not believe that there is any connection between Black Hawk Jane Doe and BJD. Yes, I do still believe that Harvey Glatman was BJD's killer, but he also had other victims and never burned any of them. Black Hawk Jane Doe's killer's MO is completely different.

For anyone who wants to really dig into this case, I suggest contacting the appropriate law enforcement agency, see what they have, and ask how you can help. Thank you all for caring for these unidentified victims. They and their families need their names.

Evidence found at crime scene included the sole of a shoe. Lorraine wore a size 3.5. It would be interesting to know what size the sole was, eh?

Evidence found at crime scene included the sole of a shoe. Lorraine wore a size 3.5. It would be interesting to know what size the sole was, eh?

Thank you Houston Mom :) Yes, the shoe size of the sole would be a helpful piece of information for this case. I did a quick internet search re women's shoe sizes during that time and found an article on the blogsite, Dr Nick's Running Blog, in which Dr. Nick Campitelli had an info graph. The info graph mentioned that the average women's size was 3.5 (UK size) which would equate to size 6 today. I'm not sure how UK sizes compare to U.S. sizes

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tattooed_crybaby22
Back