CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBSDenver‏ @CBSDenver
RT @WestminsterPD: Westminster Police will hold a press conference at the Westminster Police Department at 5:00pm #jessicaridgeway
3:52 PM - 7 Oct 12

9NEWS Denver‏
Man found the backpack about 1:00 p.m. Bloodhound searching now, area of Christensen, Andrews in Superior. #JessicaRidgeway
3:45 PM - 7 Oct 12

Stan Bush‏ @StanCBS4
#BREAKING Westminster police- discovery of backpack major development in #jessicaridgeway case/found 6.2 miles from where she disappeared.
3:44 PM - 7 Oct 12

I don't think the finder knew about a missing child named Jessica Ridgeway. I think he thought it belonged to someone in his neighborhood. Hence, 'Come and get it'. Not everyone is glued to TV, scanners, and crime forums all day long. The list serv he posted to was probably something to do with his neighborhood or town or maybe some homeoowners group.

Between the circumstances that allowed the automated call to go unheard, to the snowfall possibly covering the items, to this, much precious time has been lost along the way. This is all unfolding like a slow tragedy, I fear.

Pit-of-stomach feeling. My heart goes out to her family.

If it is her backpack, that's not good news.

We didn't really have any snow that stuck in Westminster. Yesterday was misty and damp and chilly, but nothing more. They might have had snow that stuck in Superior, but if so it was a dusting at most. Temps were above freezing for most of yesterday, so it would have been visible.

The broadcast was quick and brief, but I think they said something abt emails being sent out abt Jessica. Not sure if he responded to one or...? Glad he contacted someone. It did say once he saw her name on things, he emailed LE. Still seems odd it wasn't a call or 911, IMO, but it could be he thought an email would hit an investigator's smartphone fast??

They did say press conference at 5 a couple times...was it moved from 4?

Having given the phone call thing a little more thought, it may be taking some time for a person to answer due to the number of people calling in tips. Maybe he thought an email would be quicker if the tip line was busy? It's very possible there is a heavy number of callers making the line busy?

Also makes a difference that her name was on items -inside- the back pack versus a bottle found nearby the back pack, now that we know he found the water bottle inside the back pack.

Kevin Torres (reporter) just posted on his facebook page that the FBI is now on the scene.

I wonder if that means they really do think these items are Jessica's.

Praying.

CBSDenver‏ @CBSDenver
RT @WestminsterPD: Westminster Police will hold a press conference at the Westminster Police Department at 5:00pm #jessicaridgeway
3:52 PM - 7 Oct 12

9NEWS Denver‏
Man found the backpack about 1:00 p.m. Bloodhound searching now, area of Christensen, Andrews in Superior. #JessicaRidgeway
3:45 PM - 7 Oct 12

Stan Bush‏ @StanCBS4
#BREAKING Westminster police- discovery of backpack major development in #jessicaridgeway case/found 6.2 miles from where she disappeared.
3:44 PM - 7 Oct 12

Tweeted by a broadcast journalist:
Audra Streetman ‏@audrastreetman

View from outside Superior neighborhood where a backpack and water bottle found may belong to #JessicaRidgeway
https://twitter.com/audrastreetman/status/255065090045403136/photo/1
4:00 PM - 7 Oct 12

has anyone noted other cases where witnesses get thrown under the bus? I don't blame the person.

At least he or she reported it. From the reports it sounds like he/she is not the only one that noticed it. Maybe the phone was busy? Maybe he or she did try to call? How do we know yet?

Now we can see if it is related or not.

Amen to that, I certainly wouldn't blame a witness for not wanting to come forward. You're fair game for everyone once your name gets out, especially if you're a man who found possible evidence in the case of a missing girl. JMO

has anyone noted other cases where witnesses get thrown under the bus? I don't blame the person.

At least he or she reported it. From the reports it sounds like he/she is not the only one that noticed it. Maybe the phone was busy? Maybe he or she did try to call? How do we know yet?

Now we can see if it is related or not.

I think the person who reported the backpack reported it like he/she would report any lost and found article. The community has a bulliten board (email) and the person posted the information. thank goodness he/she reported it as opposed to picking it up and chucking it in the trash.

this may be the community bulletin board information => http://superiorcolorado.gov/TownGov...rCitizenDiscussionList/tabid/131/Default.aspx

edit to add info: link => http://www.dailycamera.com/superior...y-search-hunt-missing-westminster-girl-shifts

Materasso said the person who found the backpack didn't recognize the name of the missing girl, but when someone replied to his original e-mail pointing out its significance, he immediately called 911 to report the discovery.

A Superior resident e-mailed the town's listserv shortly after 1 p.m. today with the message: "Found this morning on the side walk at Andrew Drive and Alpha Court. Water bottle has 'Jessica Ridgeway' name on it. Come and get it."

From the above link. Why would the person who found it email the town and not phone the police?

The article went on to say that he didn't recognise the significance of the name; he thought he was dealing with an ordinary lost and found type item.

As soon as someone who saw the email pointed out the significance, he called 911.

Well if it is her backpack and water bottle and she didn't put it there, hopefully there is some DNA on both.

I wonder if that's one of the reason's for the new set of dogs? Have they said when they were found?

Amen to that, I certainly wouldn't blame a witness for not wanting to come forward. You're fair game for everyone once your name gets out, especially if you're a man who found possible evidence in the case of a missing girl. JMO

Good point, but some people think, and it's certainly possible, that this man did not even know that Jessica Ridgeway was a missing child.

ETA: NM, I see that it's been confirmed that he didn't know about the case.

9NEWS Denver ‏@9NEWS
#JessicaRidgeway RT @kevinltorres: There's a large group of investigators near the area where the bookbag was found. http://fb.me/1GHNvOSep
View photo Reply Retweet Favorite
2m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members