CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they cleared anyone as of yet? TIA

Not sure. In the presser, they said no POIs, but then also said that they don't believe there is a random stranger out there kidnapping kids, so.....

Have they cleared anyone as of yet? TIA

They haven't said they've cleared anyone that I've seen. Statements like no reason to suspect family involvement at this time, iirc. And that they're looking at this from multiple angles.

Moo

And they did say there is no reason to suspect the family. Sometimes I think they throw these phrases around to not alarm the public but who knows.

Not directed at you Hopeful....but LE (and the public) can't have it both ways. If a child WAS abducted by a stranger/criminal/predator then the public SHOULD be alarmed.

IMO, it seems incredibly contradictory to say it's NOT the family, but at the same time "don't worry, there isn't a predator/kidnapper on the loose" KWIM?

Possible scenarios

1. Adam Mayes kidnapped two girls just before they were about to move away. Was Jessica planning to leave the area? Was she possibly going to live with her father or was her mother moving to a new location? Maybe someone didn't want her to leave.

2. Clothing Theory 1: Someone is on the run with Jessica and has stopped at a store to get her a new outfit. This person could be picked up on surveillance.

3. Clothing Theory 2: Someone did something terrible and removed Jessica's clothing and left it with her back pack.

4. Clothing Theory 3: Jessica packed a change of clothes because she knew that she was going to somewhere. Perhaps someone promised her a fun weekend...

5. An RSO from her neighborhood kidnapped her and she is still in the neighborhood

6. An RSO from her neighborhood kidnapped her and she is far away now

7. An RSO from another area kidnapped her and she is far away now

I have no idea which scenario is correct. It seems like someone dumped the only thing that connected directly to Jessica Ridgeway. A bag with her keychain and water bottle.

It has been proposed that the bag was dumped to lead people away from her neighborhood. But it also might be to keep people from identifying her once she reaches some destination. In short, it seems possible that she could be about anywhere.

But the distance from her home to the park indicates to me that the person either lived in that neighborhood or had planned to meet her at some point down the street from her home.

Re:Changing clothes

What if they have reason to believe she was meeting an older male from the Internet? She is young for that, but maybe she had been in contact with someone and planned to meet them before school?

I was wondering about this too. She does seem too young, but I know my soon-to-be ex stepdaughter began spending a lot of unsupervised time online, on myspace & facebook, during 5th grade (against my wishes, mind you). Maybe she was talking to somebody she thought was not too much older than her, like teenager with their license, made a plan to go and visit her dad, something like that?

“We’re asking people to really focus on Jessica and her facial features,” Materasso said. “If you see a flyer, really look at Jessica and burn that image so you remember what she looks like. That way if you see her and she has different clothing on you’re not focused on the clothing.”
link

Please tell me they are continuing with the original closer radius searches too?

Not directed at you Hopeful....but LE (and the public) can't have it both ways. If a child WAS abducted by a stranger/criminal/predator then the public SHOULD be alarmed.

IMO, it seems incredibly contradictory to say it's NOT the family, but at the same time "don't worry, there isn't a predator/kidnapper on the loose" KWIM?

Oh I hear you. They contradict themselves with both statements. We aren't stupid, LE!!

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_21724758/search-jessica-ridgeway-expands-superior-open-space-areas

Narrowing done the time when the backpack appeared:

"One of the men who found the backpack -- who wished to remain anonymous due to the ongoing nature of the investigation -- said he and his wife did not notice the bag when they left their house on Andrew Drive near Alpha Court at around 6:45 p.m. Saturday. When they returned sometime between midnight and 1 a.m. Sunday, they said the backpack was there.

The man said kids sometimes left bikes and bags in the area, so he figured he would check on it in the morning.

"It was out of place, so that we noted it, but not out of place enough that we got out and took a look at it," he said.

The next morning he and a neighbor checked on the bag when nobody had claimed it overnight. He said the bag had a keychain with the name "Jessica" on it, as well as a water bottle with her name."

Was there a custody hearing of some sort on Fri. or am I crossing over my cases?

"Luv this SC Sheriff's response in a previous missing person's investigation"..

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott has activated his major crimes unit – a team of veteran investigators. He said Wednesday he is highly concerned about the 15-year-old girl’s vanishing with no trace.

“We’ve put our best people on this,” Sheriff Lott said in an interview. “We’re going to work this like it’s something bad, in hopes that it turns out to be something good.”

Wasn't it about a week before Kyron's family made a plea/talked to the media? And this was before everyone suspected Terri.

The statement they made about really looking at her picture and possible changes in the way she looks really makes me wonder what else they have????

I understand your frustration, especially when there's very little information available we all have a tendency to parse every word that comes out of LE's mouth to try to create a coherent whole. But as has been noted, this is fairly standard copspeak in such situations. But it's also true that statistically, what he says is true. There are certainly counter-examples, but usually a child being abducted in a community is not followed in short order by another child being abducted in the same community.

Yes, there is a child-abductor 'on the loose', but I don't believe the police think there's any reason to assume s/he's about to do this to another child in the area anytime soon.

Please tell me they are continuing with the original closer radius searches too?

108th and Oak is close to her home Sarx, I know what you mean though. Herring is best served not at ALL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member