Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonelle Matthews murder suspect to undergo psych evaluation as defense asserts condition led to unreliable statements – Greeley Tribune

May 28, 2021

The 69-year-old man accused of kidnapping and murdering 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews decades ago in Greeley will undergo a psychological evaluation before the trial, following prosecutors’ receipt of a report indicating the man has a disorder that led him to make unreliable statements about the case over the years.

Steve Pankey appeared in court Friday with defense attorney Anthony Viorst for a motions hearing before the case goes to a jury trial this summer.
[.....]
In deliberating on certain motions, Weld District Judge Timothy Kerns stressed the importance of not admitting evidence that should be inadmissible according to statutes and case law, so as to avoid any possibilities of a mistrial. Pankey’s litigious history and numerous contacts with police appeared to complicate prosecutors’ case against him, as the trial is not to determine Pankey’s character, but whether there is enough evidence to prove he kidnapped and murdered Jonelle.
[.....]
The hearing offered some clues as to how prosecutors and Viorst intend to make their cases. Prosecutors said Viorst filed late Thursday a report indicating Pankey has been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, suggesting Pankey’s numerous comments about Jonelle’s disappearance in contacts with law enforcement and in court filings weren’t indicative of guilt.
[.....]
Weld District Attorney Michael Rourke and Weld Deputy District Attorney Lacy Wells expressed concerns about the admissibility of the report without a psychological evaluation conducted by the state. Not having had enough time to go over the details of the report and due to the complications of ordering an evaluation, an advisement for the evaluation is planned for 1:30 p.m. June 23.

Among the evidence deemed admissible Friday was a call Greeley Police Detective Robert Cash made to Pankey on April 8, 2019.
[.....]
Pankey indicated he’d need a “rock solid deal” in the presence of his attorney to reveal details of the case, Cash testified. But no right to counsel was invoked during the call, according to Cash.

Hearing the testimony, Viorst agreed the statements made on the call should not be supressed.
[......]
With the psychological evaluation and its elements pending, the trial date of July 12 was vacated. Another motions hearing has been set for 1:30 p.m. July 21.

A lot more in article - can't post it all....

MAY 28, 2021
Jonelle Matthews: Trial date vacated as Pankey awaits evaluation (coloradoan.com)
[...]

During a Friday morning motions hearing, a competency evaluation of Pankey was ordered and the July 12 trial date was vacated to give more time for advisement on the evaluation.

Pankey's next court date was set for 1:30 p.m. June 23, at which point his new trial date will be set.

Another motions hearing was set in the case for 1:30 p.m. July 21 in Weld County.

[...]

MAY 28, 2021
Jonelle Matthews murder suspect to undergo psych evaluation as defense asserts condition led to unreliable statements | AP | gazette.com
[...]

Given that concern, multiple incidents prosecutors plan to introduce will be "sanitized," scrubbing allegations in those incidents that aren't relevant to the disappearance and murder of Jonelle. Such incidents include Pankey's arrest at Norbel Credit Union the day before Jonelle's disappearance and a feud between him and members of Sunny View Church of the Nazarene, where the Matthews family went to church.

The hearing offered some clues as to how prosecutors and Viorst intend to make their cases. Prosecutors said Viorst filed late Thursday a report indicating Pankey has been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, suggesting Pankey's numerous comments about Jonelle's disappearance in contacts with law enforcement and in court filings weren't indicative of guilt. ...

[...]

Among the evidence deemed admissible Friday was a call Greeley Police Detective Robert Cash made to Pankey on April 8, 2019. Cash testified he took on the case of Jonelle's disappearance when he was assigned to crimes against persons in the fall of 2013. To investigate Russell Ross, a family friend of the Matthews and the last adult who reported seeing Jonelle alive, Cash was contacting people about Ross, including Pankey.

[...]

In a separate motion, Kerns ruled the evidence procured through the execution of search warrants were admissible. Viorst had challenged the warrants because they were justified by noting Pankey had information known only to law enforcement without specifying what that information was.

[...]

Viorst had no objection to prosecutors asserting Pankey tried preventing his wife at the time of the murder, Angela Hicks, from having a relationship with her father. A threat Pankey made to shoot Hicks' father and urinate on his grave, however, was determined potentially too prejudicial, so Kerns said he'll initially preclude the threat.

Prior to Jonelle's murder, Pankey had told Ross he owned a handgun and wondered what it would be like to shoot someone. Viorst described it as "just a pondering," but prosecutors successfully argued the statement showed deliberation and forethought about killing someone with a gun.

[...]

Prosecutors outlined multiple cases dating from the late 90s to the early 2010s in which Pankey made various filings or oral arguments mentioning Jonelle and the investigation into her disappearance, which they intend to sanitize of irrelevant details. Viorst agreed statements about Jonelle were relevant and admissible if sanitized.

[...]

I haven’t posted in quite a while. My posts or portions of my posts got deleted and I obviously upset some people. Not my intention. I am going to try again and hope more sleuths will look into my statements. If I say anything false I would appreciate being corrected.

RR was interviewed by a true crime podcast host. I believe I am not allowed to name the podcast on this forum. The host asked RR about the last time he spoke to SP. RR response...when they worked together at the 7 up bottling company. (Which was sometime around 1982)
The host asked RR if at any time in the past 25 years did he ever suspect SP in the disappearance of JM. RR response...never.

Unless the host of the true crime podcast is lying, RR stated he last spoke to SP approximately 2 years prior to JM disappearance in 1984.

So, 39 years ago SP told RR he owned a handgun and wondered what it would be like to shoot someone? RR must have a good memory.

Background: According to public record RR was SP immediate supervisor, and was specifically named in the lawsuit that is public record. The public document states SP, a delivery driver, was removed from his routes by RR and was given new duties such as sweeping, throwing out trash and cleaning restrooms and mouse traps. SP also named Gid Gates in the lawsuit stating he pushed SP into a wall. The Labor Relations Board sided with SP and agreed he was subjected to threats and unfair labor practices.

Does anyone think RR is a reliable witness for the prosecution?

@Cat01 - respectfully, if you are not allowed to link the Podcast, you are also not allowed to discuss the podcast on the main thread since it violates WS TOS. Take note WS convos are available for up to 20 persons.

Court site was finally updated with new court dates.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
6/23/21

1:30 PM 1Hr IN PERSON PANKEY, STEVEN Hearing D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

7/21/21
1:30 PM 4Hr IN PERSON PANKEY, STEVEN Motions Hearing D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

@Cat01 - respectfully, if you are not allowed to link the Podcast, you are also not allowed to discuss the podcast on the main thread since it violates WS TOS. Take note WS convos are available for up to 20 persons.
Ok. Thank you. Respectfully this is not the platform for me. I actually want to solve cases. I want to make a difference. Brainstorm and go through logical process of elimination. If someone speaks on a public platform they should be held to their words. I don’t want to just repeat what the newspaper reports. I will not post anything

Ok. Thank you. Respectfully this is not the platform for me. I actually want to solve cases. I want to make a difference. Brainstorm and go through logical process of elimination. If someone speaks on a public platform they should be held to their words. I don’t want to just repeat what the newspaper reports. I will not post anything further on this platform. I wish everyone love peace and happiness.

Wednesday, June 23rd:
*Advisement Hearing (re psych evaluation) (@ 1:30pm MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70 & will be 71 tomorrow!) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial was set to begin on 7/12/21 continued with no further dates.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 12/30/20 reference post #813:
CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

2/3/21 Update: Plead not guilty. Defense attorney Anthony Viorst intends to file for a change of venue within 21 days. Deadline for motions to be filed by 4/30/21. A motions hearing is scheduled on 5/28/21 @ 9am & pretrial readiness conference on 6/30/21. Trial to begin on 7/12/21 with jury selection with trial starting on 7/15/21 thru 7/30/21.
5/28/21 Update: Pankey will undergo a psychological evaluation before the trial, following prosecutors’ receipt of a report indicating the man has a disorder that led him to make unreliable statements about the case over the years. Defense attorney Anthony Viorst filed late Thursday a report indicating Pankey has been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, suggesting Pankey’s numerous comments about Jonelle’s disappearance in contacts with law enforcement & in court filings weren’t indicative of guilt. Weld District Attorney Michael Rourke & Weld Deputy District Attorney Lacy Wells expressed concerns about the admissibility of the report without a psychological evaluation conducted by the state. Not having had enough time to go over the details of the report and due to the complications of ordering an evaluation, an advisement for the evaluation is planned for 1:30 p.m. June 23. Before the advisement & ordering of the evaluation, Rourke’s office will make recommendations on the specifics of the evaluation by June 14. Viorst will then have until June 21 to file any objections to the prosecution’s filing for the evaluation. Among the evidence deemed admissible Friday was a call Greeley Police Detective Robert Cash made to Pankey on April 8, 2019. Pankey indicated he’d need a “rock solid deal” in the presence of his attorney to reveal details of the case, Cash testified. But no right to counsel was invoked during the call, according to Cash. Hearing the testimony, Viorst agreed the statements made on the call should not be suppressed. In a separate motion, Weld District Judge Timothy Kerns ruled the evidence procured through the execution of search warrants were admissible. Viorst had challenged the warrants because they were justified by noting Pankey had information known only to law enforcement without specifying what that information was. One piece of evidence Judge Kerns didn’t rule on was a visit the FBI paid to Pankey after he made threats to the husband of a woman who previously accused Pankey of raping him before later having the charges dropped. Pankey later countersued. Viorst said he believed it would be “incredibly prejudicial,” arguing anybody who’s angry would say something similar. Judge Kerns said he’d like to wait to see if that incident is introduced, explaining he wanted to ensure the trial goes right. Judge Kerns indicated a need to review case management, given the voluminous amount of statements, which prosecutors indicated stretch on for hundreds of pages. With the psychological evaluation & its elements pending, the trial date of July 12 was vacated. Another motions hearing has been set for 1:30pm July 21.

We have a trial date!

7/21/21
1:30 PM 4Hr IN PERSON PANKEY, STEVEN Motions Hearing D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

9/22/21
1:30 PM 30M VIRTUAL PANKEY, STEVEN Pre-Trial Readiness Conference D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

10/6/21
8:30 AM 1D IN PERSON PANKEY, STEVEN Jury Trial D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

thru

11/5/21
8:30 AM 1D IN PERSON PANKEY, STEVEN Jury Trial D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

JUN 23, 2021
Jonelle Matthews case: New trial date set for suspect Steve Pankey (coloradoan.com)
[...]

Pankey's 4½-week jury trial will begin Oct. 6. His first trial date, initially set for July 12, was vacated to give more time for advisement on a competency evaluation of Pankey.

To set the trial for October, Pankey waived his right to a speedy trial, which was supposed to take place within six months of the not-guilty plea he entered in early February.

When asked by Weld County District Judge Timothy Kerns if he waived that right during a hearing Wednesday afternoon, Pankey said he did, adding, "it's time for the state to put up or shut up."

[...]

Wednesday, July 21st:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1:30pm MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial was set to begin on 7/12/21 continued to 10/6/21 (thru 11/5/21)
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 5/28/21 reference post #825:
CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*
6/23/21 Update: Judge Kerns said he’d like to wait to see if that incident is introduced, explaining he wanted to ensure the trial goes right. Judge Kerns indicated a need to review case management, given the voluminous amount of statements, which prosecutors indicated stretch on for hundreds of pages. With the psychological evaluation & its elements pending, the trial date of July 12 was vacated. Another motions hearing has been set for 1:30pm July 21. Pankey waived his right to a speedy trial. A virtual pretrial readiness conference hearing on 9/22 & trial will begin on 10/6/21 thru 11/5/21.

8/24/21
3:00 PM 30M IN PERSON PANKEY, STEVEN Motions Hearing D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

9/22/21
1:30 PM 30M VIRTUAL PANKEY, STEVEN Pre-Trial Readiness Conference D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

10/6/21

thru

11/5/21

JUL 22, 2021
Evidence in Steve Pankey case still not released to prosecutors due to psychologist’s ethics concerns – Greeley Tribune
[...]

Motions in Pankey’s case, in which he’s accused of kidnapping and murdering 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews on Dec. 20, 1984, continued Wednesday from June, when it was determined he did not have to undergo a separate psychological evaluation through the state. The evaluation was being considered following defense attorney Anthony Viorst’s filing of an Asperger’s diagnosis in late May.

[...]

Though Viorst agreed to turn over the underlying data for the diagnosis, Rourke still hadn’t received it because the psychologist was concerned about breaching American Psychological Association rules regarding patient privacy. Viorst expressed a mutual frustration, adding he would subpoena the psychologist if necessary or deliver a written court order.

[...]

Weld District Judge Timothy Kerns cited Colorado court rules noting prosecutors may receive mental and physical evaluations. If the matter couldn’t be resolved, he warned, he would not allow the psychologist’s testimony.

Viorst referred to this as a “nuclear option,” expressing his preference it not come to that, and agreed he would discuss the issue with the psychologist so the court could figure out how to proceed.

Also before the court were motions related to Viorst’s alternate suspect, Norris Drake. Rourke objected to Viorst’s introduction of Drake into the case, challenging the relevance and accuracy of statements submitted by Viorst.

The statements included Drake commenting on stealing drugs, the size of a teenage girl’s chest and knowledge Drake had of footprints raked in the snow, something highlighted by prosecutors as a piece of evidence known only to Pankey and investigators in the case. Viorst said the statements were all captured on video and audio, including in statements to a police officer.

[...]

Kerns ruled in favor of testimony establishing Pankey owned a gun around the time of Jonelle’s murder, determining the testimony could be sanitized so as not to suggest Pankey had a propensity of violence. Pankey had threatened to take guns to Oklahoma and shoot a man and his wife, according to prosecutors. While the menacing doesn’t have relevance to the case, establishing gun ownership does, particularly if Pankey testifies he didn’t have a gun at that time, a statement Viorst said Pankey would likely make.

The motions hearing was continued to 3 p.m. Aug. 24.

Kerns said the jury selection process begins next week, with plans to get three alternates per juror for a total of 45 people. Due to space constraints, they will only sit 15 in the courtroom, Kerns said.

I'm snipping the parts about Blaine County witnesses:

Two Blaine County residents have been called to provide witness accounts before a Colorado jury this fall in relation to a murder case involving longtime Blaine County resident Steven Dana Pankey, a former deputy coroner who twice ran for Idaho governor.

Kraynick filed an order in the 5th Judicial District last Wednesday asking two Hailey residents to appear before the Weld County District Court in Greeley as witnesses. One witness named was Russ Mikel, Blaine County’s current coroner, who previously worked with Pankey.

(the article doesn't mention the name of the other witness as far as i can see.)

I'm snipping the parts about Blaine County witnesses:

Two Blaine County residents have been called to provide witness accounts before a Colorado jury this fall in relation to a murder case involving longtime Blaine County resident Steven Dana Pankey, a former deputy coroner who twice ran for Idaho governor.

Kraynick filed an order in the 5th Judicial District last Wednesday asking two Hailey residents to appear before the Weld County District Court in Greeley as witnesses. One witness named was Russ Mikel, Blaine County’s current coroner, who previously worked with Pankey.

(the article doesn't mention the name of the other witness as far as i can see.)

Thank you very much for that! When I read the headline - I thought ALL the residents of the town had to go testify! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal