CO CO - Roger Ellison, 17, Cedaredge, 10 Feb 1981 #2

In one of the articles, it says that someone saw Roger being led at gun point. It also said the description matched a suspect that was still being looked at, but had since moved from the area. I'm paraphrasing what was said, but it sounds like Pash IMO.

I remember it slightly different,

On a guy's deathbed, he said he remembers being out with a friend and saw Roger being held against his will by two men. (tied up.) I don't remember the specifics. The men heard gunshots and swore each other to secrecy. The death bed confessor if I recall correctly said nothing about Pash. The two men, who the death-bed confessor saw, were suspects in the case. Pash was only considered a person of interest by LE because Roger had gone to his house to tern in homework, because of the assignment Mr. Pash gave before Roger disappeared, and because Mr. Pash had visited the family shortly after Roger vanished, claiming that Roger was suicidal.

Satch

Bump for roger! New year with everyday being another opportunity to get some answers and finally bring a bit of peace to the Ellison family.

BTW most of these article being mentioned in the posts above are somewhere on this blog
https://findrogerellison.wordpress.com/inside-a-reporters-notebook/
Basically the whole rundown of the facts, the rumors and Timeline of how the case has progressed until,now. I really wish the author was still around to keep the inquisitive cogs in my head a-turnin' but I guess it'll just have to be my resolution to try harder in her absence:facepalm:

Anyone wanna throw idea around on any of the theories of how the police might proceed if it wasn't suicide or pash? Seems like that's the problem they got stuck with when they failed to find substaintial proof of either. The only thing I can think of would be the thing mentioned by his family about how in the last month he seemed distant and quiet (which wasn't typical behavior). Time period would fall right after Christmas, so on the whole i sorta assume excluding mild bickering that most happy families like theirs would be running on some of that leftover Christmas cheer. So my best guess would be it had to be in his personal life either concerning
A)academics
B) skiing
C) friends/love life
D) finances
D) his drug use. Not saying He was a junkie, but even these days the guy who brings the weed also brings the speed. Or at least knows a guy.. This angle was always the one that stuck out as the most plausible to me. Maybe because I was so convinced it was pash. Gut still says it is, a mother ALWAYS knows and her opinion and gut has more weight than anyone else's, followed closely by his family/loved ones but you know what I mean. but for now I'll let it...him go. Doesn't mean there wasn't shadesters back then that had just as much to lose if roger told someone about something or other.

IT WOULD REALLY NICE TO DO FOLLOW UP INTERVIEWS TO PROGRESS THE CASE! Family, friends (maybe the family can help give us an idea if he even had a best friends that knew his more intimate concerns and turmoils, from the VERY helpful " bro" prospective, where they knew how shady the blaze sessions were and if other drugs were involved, they knew if he was seeing some special girl in particular with a possible boyfriend) or if he focused on his finances enough to go take a shady job with some stranger who offered him the opportunity. MOST IMPORTANTLY just the general classmates that attended his HS when he was there. After 30 years keeping your mouth shut about a murder just cause you smoked a couple doobies when you weren't supposed to or even sold drugs won't be relevant in deciding to talk. Statutes expired. And SOMEONES guilty conscience must be festering... Just need that ONE break. And that witness might just need for an investigator to knock on their door.

ALSO And I'm so motivated to do this part is GET HIS STORY HEARD! There articles here and there but this story really hasn't gotten hardcore airtime in... Can I safely say decades? I know there's been thoughts on reaching out to ID but they seem hard to convince. NO IDEA WHY EITHER FOR A CASE SO BIZZARE! Might help if a few of us take the 15 mins to each write a plea to just one ID series, really selling how CRAZY the facts are and the how the case progressed from them, there's gotta be one that has the 30 minutes block, even just 15 minute one to feature him sometime in the future. I mean there's a gazillions shows. And honestly...I'm going to just stress how much the case needs to be solved for his family. I cant really fathom what the family must be enduring Every day since the one when he never came home. And then the death of his parents so soon afterward, grief stricken. I mean ONE of these producers or email readers HAS to be human for God sakes. the 30 minutes are meaningless to producers but could save the family anymore heartache if something comes from it. But yeah I'll write a few....
BUT IF NOT the I had two other thoughts.
1-contacting local news in Colorado about maybe doing a segment near or on the anniversary of his disappearance about the case. if contacted soon I'm sure there will be at least one station that can put some kind of something on the air. Small town means those old classmates and their relatives will be the exact ones seeing it which is the exact type of spark I'm hoping to generate in the community. Nostalgic conversations with hopefully new leads or rumors that may get brought in for police.
2) YOUTUBE! Either something small like going on PowerPoint and making a 5 minute collage with the facts/timelines and such for people to see to learn about the case. Since there nothing on there at all yet. Or on Google for that matter. Which as a millennial bugs the absolute crap out of me lol or on a bigger scale of reaching out to a channel (who kinda always need new material for their weekly shows anyway) which focus on stuff just like this. I'm gunna start with this one youtuber rob... Uhh something. Does a segment called "seriously strange" with a few on unexplained disappearances. His vids get anywhere from 50k to several millions views. A minute and half on roger heard by a million people is, well I mean could be a god sent.

Alright phew, SO SORRY FOR THE LENGTH. Last few months of my thought just spewed out there but as I started out with, new year is 365 new chances to get that break.
I'm just 23 so any direction you guys can give me on how to help move this case forward that's practical, since calling up the homicide unit and telling them to give a crap and do this legwork themselves isn't "socially acceptable" blah blah whatever lol but yeah I wanna hear it. I'm just so determined to help the Ellisons. To Help Roger.
Let's get this going sleuthies! I need your help, and so does roger.

God bless
-Kayley

Roger is never far from my mind. I think he's most likely buried close to his home. Since the police gave up on the case, and no authority is willing to dig in one of what might be the most promising location, we're not going to get answers to what happened to Roger.

All I know is that the fiend who did this lacks a conscience. Not only did he destroy Roger's life, he ruined the entire family's lives. Not that the perpetrator cares. But God does. And He has a special place for people who lack the humanity to care about doing the right thing (i.e. confessing).

What goes around, comes around.

Hi All,

So many theories. I think some of the most common are:

1.) Roger was very depressed and voluntarily choose to disappear, going off into isolated location to start a new life.
2.) Roger chose to leave before class to some isolated location deep in the woods someplace, was severely depressed and chose to kill himself. Because of the vast terrain or ability to hide in woods or thicket, his body was never found, and his remains have long been scattered by animals, exposed to weathering and would be long gone.
3.) Roger was kidnapped over some deal over drugs at the school, or knew some information about a relationship or confidential information. He threatened to tell authorities and paid for it by being killed by his perpetrator(s.)

Over time, I really think that Mr. Pash was not involved in what happened to Roger concerning foul play. I think the contents of Mr. Pash's assignment may have hurt Roger deeply, if he had to share that information with the class. I forgot, didn't Mr. Pash ask the students to write about their experiences in the board or talk about them to the class in a speech-type format? I can't remember when the assignment was given and due in relation to Roger's disappearance.

Satch

I think it is supremely unlikely that Roger would show up at school in the morning and then decide to leave school and go kill himself and make sure to position himself in a manner that his body would not be discovered.

Also, based on factors including his love of skiing, and the upcoming race in Aspen, I do not think he would have chosen this time to run away and start a new life in a new location, and never reach out to his family or friends again.

As for potential involvement in drugs, I wonder about the real likelihood of a high schooler like Roger getting mixed up in something with such high stakes that murder would be involved. I think this unlikely.

I would love to know the facts regarding the frequency of Roger's visits to Mr. Pash's house as well as more details about Roger's fathers reaction to this and possible interactions between Roger's father and Mr. Pash. Also, if it is true that Mr. Pash paid a visit to the Ellison family after Roger's father died and suggested that he thought Roger committed suicide, I am curious as to why he did so when the father was not alive. I wonder what would Roger's fathers reaction had been if Mr. Pash had showed up to his house when he was alive and suggested that his son had killed myself. Also, it has been alleged that Mr. Pash hosted students at his home, and if this is true, it would be very helpful if some of those attendees would come forward to discuss those experiences.

It has been said that Roger seemed distant and quiet in the time leading up to his disappearance. I wonder if he was harboring something inside that made him extremely uncomfortable but he couldn't speak about openly - maybe he was being pushed into something he didn't want or maybe he was in some sort of blackmail situation. Nobody seems to know.

It also interests me that Roger's disappearance seems to have started on school property - so I am curious who was in the school at the time - students and teacher I guess if it was a normal school day.

I hope his sister finds out the truth.

I think something that took place after Roger got to school was the catalyst for his disappearance. He had to leave to take care of something, something came to a head about a situation, he got bad or upsetting news. What happened after that was either directly associated with his specific problem or possibly he met with an accident or foul play because his problem put him in the wrong place at the wrong time. (For instance, the case of Maura Murray, where it isn't known if her leaving school for a few days and heading on a solo trip and her disappearance are part of the same problem, or whether her subsequent car accident led to being in the wrong place and time, such as being picked up by a very bad person.)

Hello everyone,

I've just caught up to the present on the Roger Ellison threads. I remember reading about his disappearance many years ago (pre-internet!). The complete lack of evidence was so frustrating back then. Not too much new information has bubbled up since then, but the lack of evidence now leads me to a different conclusion today. People are not telling the whole truth.

The story of Roger's disappearance, as reported, is way too perfect. No one saw him that day? No one talked to him that day? Everything was perfectly normal? Roger himself was this shiny, perfect kid known only as a great skier, straight-A student, non-suicidal, perfect, perfect, perfect, shiny, shiny, shiny.

Even in 1981, with the inferior detectoring practiced by LE back then, somebody heard something, said something, and/or saw something, and this has somehow not made it into the public telling of this story. I think these facts are probably languishing in the LE missing person file on Roger.

I believe the death-bed confession of the deer-poacher, especially since it was corroborated by his partner. I don't think it's unusual at all that these two men still want to remain anonymous, even after all this time. They came upon a horrifying scene: a kid tied by the hands and a grown man with a shotgun standing over him. The man with the shotgun obviously did not see the deer-poachers, since they were able to move on before they heard the gunshots from a distance. They also lived to tell the tale. There's no way the guy with the shotgun would have let them get away. These poachers, understandably, freaked the heck out and ran. Honestly, if I saw someone who was evil enough or desperate enough to hold a kid at gunpoint, I would have legged it, too. Sorry. I know it sounds outrageous and cowardly, but that is exactly what I would have done. People are just not as heroic as we want them to be.

These deer-poachers most likely lived in the community since they picked Roger out of a photo lineup, and they identified his captor as someone living in town and known to LE. Everyone involved had ties to the community, and nobody lives in a vacuum. These guys were afraid for themselves and for their families. I would have sworn an oath of secrecy, too.

Since Roger's case file is still open, LE can't give up any of its content. However, they were able to tell us their thinking by labeling his case as a non-family abduction. LE knows someone (known to them and known to Roger) kidnapped and killed Roger. According to the most recent Denver Post article, LE could not arrest this guy because nobody would come forward on the record, and he subsequently moved away. Even if this dude moved out of town, his family and/or people who know him probably still live in town today, and people still aren't talking even after over 30 years. I agree with a recent poster who thinks witnesses are still not coming forward because there must either still be the immediate threat of harm from others still living in the community, or they fear going to jail for being involved in other illegal activities. What crimes have a statute of limitations longer than 30 years in Colorado? I would guess only the pretty heavy-duty ones by now.

The trajectory of Roger's life changed at his locker that morning, and both of his lockermates were there when it changed. They had to have seen something. Roger had to have said something to them. Chief79, who identified himself as one of the two lockermates along with Mitch Coleman, posted on here but didn't tell us much about what happened at the locker, but he does remember that day. He said something along the lines of "I hope Roger found what he was looking for." This implies to me that they had some sort of conversation where Roger expressed an intent to look for something. Mitch at the time said that Roger asked him to "hold the locker open," that he would be right back and catch up in class. This tells me that Roger decided at the locker that he had to go take care of something, but he expected to be back before school started. I think he went to confront someone who he knew was nearby, and he told this person something that person was willing to kill for.

This is all just so sad! I bet Roger was completely taken by surprise and had no idea that what he knew was that terrible.

I'm sure LE interviewed Mitch, Chief79, JP, and a bunch of others at the time. All their stories went into Roger's file, and none came back out. All we know from them is what they chose to tell reporters and this forum. I'm sure they know more.

Wow, I can't believe I have typed on and on.

To Roger's sister, I don't think your brother killed himself. Some evil, selfish person killed him, and some people are still too scared or self-interested to speak up. JP offered for you to send him a personal message if you wanted to know what Roger wrote in that assignment he gave to LE. I see that both you and he are active users here. Have you given any thought to taking him up on his offer?

Something has always struck me a little hinkie about the poacher's deathbed "confession. Mule deer, that live in Colorado migrate between the high country in summer and low elevation winter grazing areas. Cedaredge is about 6200 ft but there is much lower area quite close (within 30 miles) which would probably be fairly snow free in February while Cedaredge would likely be snowed in.

I'm no Wildlife biologist but I wonder if there really were any deer to poach in the Cedaredge area on Feb 10 1981. If there were no deer overwintering in the area, why would anyone be poaching.

Anyone familiar with the deer situation there?

Hello everyone,

I've just caught up to the present on the Roger Ellison threads. I remember reading about his disappearance many years ago (pre-internet!). The complete lack of evidence was so frustrating back then. Not too much new information has bubbled up since then, but the lack of evidence now leads me to a different conclusion today. People are not telling the whole truth.

The story of Roger's disappearance, as reported, is way too perfect. No one saw him that day? No one talked to him that day? Everything was perfectly normal? Roger himself was this shiny, perfect kid known only as a great skier, straight-A student, non-suicidal, perfect, perfect, perfect, shiny, shiny, shiny.

Even in 1981, with the inferior detectoring practiced by LE back then, somebody heard something, said something, and/or saw something, and this has somehow not made it into the public telling of this story. I think these facts are probably languishing in the LE missing person file on Roger.

I believe the death-bed confession of the deer-poacher, especially since it was corroborated by his partner. I don't think it's unusual at all that these two men still want to remain anonymous, even after all this time. They came upon a horrifying scene: a kid tied by the hands and a grown man with a shotgun standing over him. The man with the shotgun obviously did not see the deer-poachers, since they were able to move on before they heard the gunshots from a distance. They also lived to tell the tale. There's no way the guy with the shotgun would have let them get away. These poachers, understandably, freaked the heck out and ran. Honestly, if I saw someone who was evil enough or desperate enough to hold a kid at gunpoint, I would have legged it, too. Sorry. I know it sounds outrageous and cowardly, but that is exactly what I would have done. People are just not as heroic as we want them to be.

These deer-poachers most likely lived in the community since they picked Roger out of a photo lineup, and they identified his captor as someone living in town and known to LE. Everyone involved had ties to the community, and nobody lives in a vacuum. These guys were afraid for themselves and for their families. I would have sworn an oath of secrecy, too.

Since Roger's case file is still open, LE can't give up any of its content. However, they were able to tell us their thinking by labeling his case as a non-family abduction. LE knows someone (known to them and known to Roger) kidnapped and killed Roger. According to the most recent Denver Post article, LE could not arrest this guy because nobody would come forward on the record, and he subsequently moved away. Even if this dude moved out of town, his family and/or people who know him probably still live in town today, and people still aren't talking even after over 30 years. I agree with a recent poster who thinks witnesses are still not coming forward because there must either still be the immediate threat of harm from others still living in the community, or they fear going to jail for being involved in other illegal activities. What crimes have a statute of limitations longer than 30 years in Colorado? I would guess only the pretty heavy-duty ones by now.

The trajectory of Roger's life changed at his locker that morning, and both of his lockermates were there when it changed. They had to have seen something. Roger had to have said something to them. Chief79, who identified himself as one of the two lockermates along with Mitch Coleman, posted on here but didn't tell us much about what happened at the locker, but he does remember that day. He said something along the lines of "I hope Roger found what he was looking for." This implies to me that they had some sort of conversation where Roger expressed an intent to look for something. Mitch at the time said that Roger asked him to "hold the locker open," that he would be right back and catch up in class. This tells me that Roger decided at the locker that he had to go take care of something, but he expected to be back before school started. I think he went to confront someone who he knew was nearby, and he told this person something that person was willing to kill for.

This is all just so sad! I bet Roger was completely taken by surprise and had no idea that what he knew was that terrible.

I'm sure LE interviewed Mitch, Chief79, JP, and a bunch of others at the time. All their stories went into Roger's file, and none came back out. All we know from them is what they chose to tell reporters and this forum. I'm sure they know more.

To Roger's sister, I don't think your brother killed himself. Some evil, selfish person killed him, and some people are still too scared or self-interested to speak up. JP offered for you to send him a personal message if you wanted to know what Roger wrote in that assignment he gave to LE. I see that both you and he are active users here. Have you given any thought to taking him up on his offer?

Just curious, how did you learn so much about Robert's case, pre internet? Are you local? Also, which newspaper article are you referring to?

Hi Danaya,

I think I first read about Roger in a "missing persons" or "strange cases" book. I honestly can't remember exactly which book, but I read a lot of books like that in the early to mid 80s. The timing doesn't seem right, though. Hmmm. I was on the internet by the mid 90s, so maybe I did first read about his disappearance online.

The first piece I read about Roger's disappearance had basically the same information provided on the first page of the first thread here on WS and was pretty sparse on details. The lion's share of the details and observations I put together in my post came from Roger's threads here on WS.

The Denver Post article I'm referring to was the most recent article posted on this thread several pages back. I believe it was actually an older article that the Denver Post re-ran relatively recently. The author has (had) a Cold Case blog at the Denver Post, as I recall. I'm sorry I didn't get a cite for it. I didn't think I would be posting to this thread then!

This case originally caught my eye because Roger was a good looking boy close to my age (I'm a girl born in 1965), and it was really weird and super scary to me that an average kid like him could just up and vanish from school without a trace. It still spooks me out.

By the way, my dad used to hunt deer in his younger days. I will ask him if deer would be available for poaching around the month of February in the Rockies. We lived in Albuquerque, NM, and he would hunt up north towards the Colorado border. He's told me that deer are smart enough to know when it is hunting season and try to make themselves scarce then. They aren't as skittish around people off-season.

lgr

Someone posted this case in /r/UnresolvedMysteries on Reddit today. Bump for Roger!

That was me. I go by "unsolvedbb" there. I've posted several other older cases that have been discussed here on WS.

Hello everyone,

I agree with the above,

I think that could very likely be what really happened. I find it hard to believe that the two poachers would lie about what they saw. I think Roger had to see someone about something, perhaps a drug deal that went bad. Perhaps his moody disposition in the weeks leading up to his disappearance was part of all of this. Roger was in the middle of a bad situation, could have wanted out, and paid for it with his life.

In small time communities everyone knows each other, and after all these years, with people who may still be living, they don't want to talk about the case for fear of retaliation, even after all this time. I get the feeling that those responsible may have to pass away before the truth may ever be known. Now all of this is under the assumption that the poacher's story is true and that who they saw was Roger.

If not, than you can't rule out suicide. But it's unlikely. The problem with that theory is that there are two many who claim they didn't see anything to stories of seeing Roger talking to two men later in the day, to JP being questioned. I think there is more than meets the eye. There's a cover-up here. Roger's whole story is not being told.

Satch

Hello Sleuthies:
I have retired after 36 years as a teacher, and am no longer concerned about this site impacting my career. Why would I be concerned you ask? One of the comments asked how I found out about this website. Very simple- I had a student who made a practice of googling the teachers she was taking classes from. Lo and behold, this webpage turned up about me, she read it, and I was asked what it was about. So yes, I was defensive and pissed off, and was amazed at how accusatory people could be. Let’s make some clarifications and see if we can keep things straight this time.
1) I did not just show up at the Ellison’s home. No. The detective told me that they had requested to meet with me. What do I do? Do I tell them what Roger had written? The detective told me to just let them talk- and not to mention what Roger had written. For whatever reason, people hear you teach psychology and the vast majority think you are a psychologist. So maybe they thought I had talked with Roger, and had some knowledge. I have had students ask me why I was teaching and didn’t have my own practice. And it didn’t matter when I told them I majored in history, they would continue to ask. But the most interesting situations were when there would be teacher meetings about a student where the school psychologist would attend, and after the meeting was over, the school psychologist would begin discussing the psychological issues for that student with me. I would have to explain that I majored in history, and only had 2 psych courses. At that point the school psychologist would get red from embarrassment, quickly close the folder, and leave. I never talked to Roger about anything. I was not trained to be a counselor or therapist, nor did it interest me to act in that way.
2) I never suggested that Roger committed suicide. The parents/family may have asked if I thought he did, but as I stated, I was not a trained psychologist, therefore I would not have known what behaviors to look for, or how to explain such a thing. But there is another more important reason why I would never have said such a thing. It’s something that very few people know about me. I had an older brother who committed suicide. It devastated me, my parents and my grandfather. It was something that we never discussed after the funeral was over. There was no note explaining why- it seemed to be an impulsive act on his part, not something thought out and planned as some are. And knowing the impact it had on my family, it is not something I would visit upon another family. So thank you for making me re-experience that time once again.
3) The only thing I gave the detective was the class assignment. The notebook that I alluded to belonged to the detective- that is the notebook I asked the sheriff about in 1997; I knew what the detective told me as he read from his notebook (again, did he think I was a psychologist) about his investigation, that it seemed to corroborate what Roger had written. I wanted to make sure that that information was still accessible to this new investigator, since it was relevant. I do not know of any notebook belonging to Roger that was ever taken/found by the original detective. And as far as I know, there never was one. I do not even remember the the length of time between when the assignment was given and when Roger ran away. Everybody seems to think the 2 issues (assignment/running away) were closely linked in time. I don’t think they were because I didn’t even think about the papers until almost at the end of my initial meeting with the detective. Had it been only a matter of a few days, I probably would have thought about them much sooner. So the assignment may not have even been an issue- something else may have been the causal factor. Since it is known that he went to a ski event, he seemed to be going about his usual business. But after returning, he runs away the next day. So what happened during the hours after his returned home from the ski event, and the next morning?
I’m not sure how many of you grew up/lived in in a very small town; one where the political and socio-economic hierarchy can be dominated by certain generational families. Would it be likely that any information that might be negative about one of those families or a person from such a family would be kept under wraps? Just think about it.
I am amazed at how innuendo and rumor have somehow become established fact. I have not read anything that can verify the report about the 2 poachers. Do you want to demonstrate your investigative skills? When was it first reported; where was it reported-Delta County, Mesa County, Denver); how was it reported- newspaper, television newscast? And then consider the story itself. Let’s just assume that it has some validity. We have 2 admitted poachers- I’m thinking deer or elk, not marmot or coyote. That means they had high-powered rifles. They come upon one man, with a shotgun, holding another person hostage. Apparently, they were not seen by the man holding the shotgun. If they have any hunting skills, and with their rifles, they could have easily separated, encircled the man and force him to give up the shotgun. Then they could determine what was going on. But they were more concerned about being cited for poaching than saving a person from possible death? Oh, but they felt guilty over the years, and one gave a deathbed proclamation and passed a lie detector test. Sounds a little too pat. Did they verify it was Roger? What was the time span between the Roger’s disappearance and this incident and then the deathbed proclamation. Until that can be determined, it’s merely a web-based rumor that has taken on a life of its own.
So, what was the assignment you ask? Well, the detective told me not to discuss what I had asked, and what Roger had written. He never said I couldn’t discuss the type of assignment. We were discussing Freud. I was explaining the techniques used by Freud on his patients- hypnosis, Freudian slips, free association, dream interpretation, use of defense mechanisms, etc. On the first day we discussed the first 3, finishing up with the free association. I made up a list of 10 words/phrases- randomly selected, yet categorized. I’m not even sure of the other 8, but I will provide examples. Let’s say I chose red and green as 2 of the words, because they would elicit a variety of responses- a color, a fire engine, blood, a book, grass, a tree, etc. Then some natural occurrences such as tree, grass, water, sky, etc. Then I picked types of people- mom/dad, brother/sister, boy/girl friend, best friend, student, teacher, policeman, etc. And I think I may have ended with a couple social institutions- religion/church, education/school, etc. Again, I no longer remember the exact words/phrases I used except for 2 of them- the 2 that the detective asked me what they were and which he focused on. And then he showed me what Roger had written, and I was shocked. It was the same answer for both. For the next 32 years, I never did that exercise the same way again. Had I seen what he wrote, could I have prevented the whole situation? Not being a trained psychologist, it may not have raised any red flags for me, or I may have given it a different interpretation. I will never know. The next day I told the students we could continue with the list or begin looking at dream interpretation; the dream interpretations were something they seemed more interested in. So the stapled papers remained in my bottom drawer, and were never given another thought until the detective asked if I had any type of work from Roger. And as I stated previously, this all occurred during the wrestling season, we were doing excellent (the team’s first undefeated season) and that was my focus. So nothing else was really on my radar.
Will I ever divulge what I asked and/or what he wrote? Not unless I am required to as a legal matter. So giving out that information is something I will leave up to the sheriff’s department. Now think about it. If those words and/or response in anyway implicated me in some nefarious way, do you really think the sheriffs would keep it covered-up and buried for 35 years? Hell no, it would have been blasted across all the news channels and newspapers. Plus, I challenged the poster who claimed to be Roger’s sister (and there’s no way for me to know if this person is or isn’t) to divulge that information. If I’m not mistaken, the response was that this person would only discuss those things she wanted to discuss. Why? Either this person doesn’t know and doesn’t want to admit it, or, doesn’t want to make it public and is willing to continue the cover-up. That way the focus gets to stay on me. Unfortunately, it does not help lead in the quest for the truth in a necessary direction. Nor can I tell you what the detective told me. Now I could give you the specifics in the assignment and the responses, but that might open me up to some legal consequence- i.e., not following a legal directive, interfering in the course of an investigation, etc. So who’s ready to begin establishing a legal fund for me so I can have a lawyer? When you’re ready to do that, let me know.
I realize how much people enjoy playing Clue, and this may seem like an excellent website to do that. However, it involves real people in real situations. But the key to playing the game is that you get verifiable clues that lead you to the final solution. However in this case, I know you do not have all necessary clues, nor will you until the suppressed information is released. So as much as you want to believe it’s Col. Mustard, in the library, with a wrench, it may actually be Prof. Plum in the study with a candlestick- but you would never consider that conclusion since information is being withheld. Or it could be something as simple as Mr. Green just decided to open the front door, walk out and leave the building.

Hello Sleuthies:
I have retired after 36 years as a teacher, and am no longer concerned about this site impacting my career. Why would I be concerned you ask? One of the comments asked how I found out about this website. Very simple- I had a student who made a practice of googling the teachers she was taking classes from. Lo and behold, this webpage turned up about me, she read it, and I was asked what it was about. So yes, I was defensive and pissed off, and was amazed at how accusatory people could be. Let’s make some clarifications and see if we can keep things straight this time.
1) I did not just show up at the Ellison’s home. No. The detective told me that they had requested to meet with me. What do I do? Do I tell them what Roger had written? The detective told me to just let them talk- and not to mention what Roger had written. For whatever reason, people hear you teach psychology and the vast majority think you are a psychologist. So maybe they thought I had talked with Roger, and had some knowledge. I have had students ask me why I was teaching and didn’t have my own practice. And it didn’t matter when I told them I majored in history, they would continue to ask. But the most interesting situations were when there would be teacher meetings about a student where the school psychologist would attend, and after the meeting was over, the school psychologist would begin discussing the psychological issues for that student with me. I would have to explain that I majored in history, and only had 2 psych courses. At that point the school psychologist would get red from embarrassment, quickly close the folder, and leave. I never talked to Roger about anything. I was not trained to be a counselor or therapist, nor did it interest me to act in that way.
2) I never suggested that Roger committed suicide. The parents/family may have asked if I thought he did, but as I stated, I was not a trained psychologist, therefore I would not have known what behaviors to look for, or how to explain such a thing. But there is another more important reason why I would never have said such a thing. It’s something that very few people know about me. I had an older brother who committed suicide. It devastated me, my parents and my grandfather. It was something that we never discussed after the funeral was over. There was no note explaining why- it seemed to be an impulsive act on his part, not something thought out and planned as some are. And knowing the impact it had on my family, it is not something I would visit upon another family. So thank you for making me re-experience that time once again.
3) The only thing I gave the detective was the class assignment. The notebook that I alluded to belonged to the detective- that is the notebook I asked the sheriff about in 1997; I knew what the detective told me as he read from his notebook (again, did he think I was a psychologist) about his investigation, that it seemed to corroborate what Roger had written. I wanted to make sure that that information was still accessible to this new investigator, since it was relevant. I do not know of any notebook belonging to Roger that was ever taken/found by the original detective. And as far as I know, there never was one. I do not even remember the the length of time between when the assignment was given and when Roger ran away. Everybody seems to think the 2 issues (assignment/running away) were closely linked in time. I don’t think they were because I didn’t even think about the papers until almost at the end of my initial meeting with the detective. Had it been only a matter of a few days, I probably would have thought about them much sooner. So the assignment may not have even been an issue- something else may have been the causal factor. Since it is known that he went to a ski event, he seemed to be going about his usual business. But after returning, he runs away the next day. So what happened during the hours after his returned home from the ski event, and the next morning?
I’m not sure how many of you grew up/lived in in a very small town; one where the political and socio-economic hierarchy can be dominated by certain generational families. Would it be likely that any information that might be negative about one of those families or a person from such a family would be kept under wraps? Just think about it.
I am amazed at how innuendo and rumor have somehow become established fact. I have not read anything that can verify the report about the 2 poachers. Do you want to demonstrate your investigative skills? When was it first reported; where was it reported-Delta County, Mesa County, Denver); how was it reported- newspaper, television newscast? And then consider the story itself. Let’s just assume that it has some validity. We have 2 admitted poachers- I’m thinking deer or elk, not marmot or coyote. That means they had high-powered rifles. They come upon one man, with a shotgun, holding another person hostage. Apparently, they were not seen by the man holding the shotgun. If they have any hunting skills, and with their rifles, they could have easily separated, encircled the man and force him to give up the shotgun. Then they could determine what was going on. But they were more concerned about being cited for poaching than saving a person from possible death? Oh, but they felt guilty over the years, and one gave a deathbed proclamation and passed a lie detector test. Sounds a little too pat. Did they verify it was Roger? What was the time span between the Roger’s disappearance and this incident and then the deathbed proclamation. Until that can be determined, it’s merely a web-based rumor that has taken on a life of its own.
So, what was the assignment you ask? Well, the detective told me not to discuss what I had asked, and what Roger had written. He never said I couldn’t discuss the type of assignment. We were discussing Freud. I was explaining the techniques used by Freud on his patients- hypnosis, Freudian slips, free association, dream interpretation, use of defense mechanisms, etc. On the first day we discussed the first 3, finishing up with the free association. I made up a list of 10 words/phrases- randomly selected, yet categorized. I’m not even sure of the other 8, but I will provide examples. Let’s say I chose red and green as 2 of the words, because they would elicit a variety of responses- a color, a fire engine, blood, a book, grass, a tree, etc. Then some natural occurrences such as tree, grass, water, sky, etc. Then I picked types of people- mom/dad, brother/sister, boy/girl friend, best friend, student, teacher, policeman, etc. And I think I may have ended with a couple social institutions- religion/church, education/school, etc. Again, I no longer remember the exact words/phrases I used except for 2 of them- the 2 that the detective asked me what they were and which he focused on. And then he showed me what Roger had written, and I was shocked. It was the same answer for both. For the next 32 years, I never did that exercise the same way again. Had I seen what he wrote, could I have prevented the whole situation? Not being a trained psychologist, it may not have raised any red flags for me, or I may have given it a different interpretation. I will never know. The next day I told the students we could continue with the list or begin looking at dream interpretation; the dream interpretations were something they seemed more interested in. So the stapled papers remained in my bottom drawer, and were never given another thought until the detective asked if I had any type of work from Roger. And as I stated previously, this all occurred during the wrestling season, we were doing excellent (the team’s first undefeated season) and that was my focus. So nothing else was really on my radar.
Will I ever divulge what I asked and/or what he wrote? Not unless I am required to as a legal matter. So giving out that information is something I will leave up to the sheriff’s department. Now think about it. If those words and/or response in anyway implicated me in some nefarious way, do you really think the sheriffs would keep it covered-up and buried for 35 years? Hell no, it would have been blasted across all the news channels and newspapers. Plus, I challenged the poster who claimed to be Roger’s sister (and there’s no way for me to know if this person is or isn’t) to divulge that information. If I’m not mistaken, the response was that this person would only discuss those things she wanted to discuss. Why? Either this person doesn’t know and doesn’t want to admit it, or, doesn’t want to make it public and is willing to continue the cover-up. That way the focus gets to stay on me. Unfortunately, it does not help lead in the quest for the truth in a necessary direction. Nor can I tell you what the detective told me. Now I could give you the specifics in the assignment and the responses, but that might open me up to some legal consequence- i.e., not following a legal directive, interfering in the course of an investigation, etc. So who’s ready to begin establishing a legal fund for me so I can have a lawyer? When you’re ready to do that, let me know.
I realize how much people enjoy playing Clue, and this may seem like an excellent website to do that. However, it involves real people in real situations. But the key to playing the game is that you get verifiable clues that lead you to the final solution. However in this case, I know you do not have all necessary clues, nor will you until the suppressed information is released. So as much as you want to believe it’s Col. Mustard, in the library, with a wrench, it may actually be Prof. Plum in the study with a candlestick- but you would never consider that conclusion since information is being withheld. Or it could be something as simple as Mr. Green just decided to open the front door, walk out and leave the building.

Thank you for sharing, Mr. Pash,

I would like to ask, if you could share, what do you think happened to Roger that day? And since some of use really are not sure, we have our clues and theories, do you think that this case will ever be solved so that closure can come about for Roger's relatives and friends?

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Satch

Thanks for clarifying matters Mr. Pash. I've read through the entire thread just today (both #1 and #1). Frankly, I'm disgusted by how easily and freely people have been pointing fingers at you. All they've got are rumours, most of which stem from anonymous comments left online, yet they are so convinced of your guilt. What a shame.

Thanks for clarifying matters Mr. Pash. I've read through the entire thread just today (both #1 and #1). Frankly, I'm disgusted by how easily and freely people have been pointing fingers at you. All they've got are rumours, most of which stem from anonymous comments left online, yet they are so convinced of your guilt. What a shame.

Its 35 years to the day yesterday since Roger disappeared. I cannot believe he just walked out of his life, but as Mr. Pash notes, we have many facts missing and one cannot substitute facts for rumour, gossip, hearsay. Sherlock Holmes stated it is a cardinal sin to make the facts fit your theories... rather than making the theories fit the facts.

There have been several interesting observations in these posts over the past years. Poaching deer at 6000 ft in early spring (March or April?)according to someone who identifies themselves as a local, deer would not be found at that time of year at the elevation. Roger was seen talking with two strangers (the week before, or that day depending on who is writing the version) and eight years later two poachers (strangers?) stumble on someone holding Roger hostage bound with white rope... one must be rather close to see that detail (but they were not observed) According to one report they named a local man (who had since moved away) as the person they observed with Roger that day holding him at gunpoint.... but LE couldn't swear out a warrant to bring him in for questioning??

If one wants to play Clue... how about the two "poachers" were the two who abducted and murdered him in the first place. Now one is dying and wants to confess... but his partner is still very much alive and not looking to face a murder charge.. so the concoct this interesting and maybe believable tale. I am not presenting that as a theory, but just another spin on this tale. So far, over the years it has been suggested herein that he ran away because he was gay, or got a girl pregnant, got into a drug deal turned bad, committed suicide (for the same reasons) got brainwashed by a religious cult. The list goes on. Without the missing pieces, this may yet be another MP story not to be solved.

Also, Roger disappeared in early February, this observation of him being held was "in early spring" where was he for that 30-60 day period? Being held hostage? If so, where and why? Its rather risky to keep someone you are going to murder alive for so long. Officially the local LE state they believe he was abducted and murdered shortly after he was taken. What do they base that belief on?

After such a passage of time, I would think his siblings would ask that the case file be opened and the content made public. In point of face is anyone in LE activaly investigating this case anymore? Have there been any leads to investigate in the past decade or so?

If alive, I hope he has found whatever he was seeking, if deceased (as I believe) one can only say Rest In Peace.

Interesting re free association test , thoughts anyone?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kennedy1227
Back