Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were married for along time. I have to assume she was aware of his triggers and reactions. She was over her marriage that is clear. I don’t think we can make the assumption that either partner was cruel throughout their marriage. We have seen grievances from only one spouse other than a few comments from Barry that might be classified as grievances. Fights tend to have a manipulative component to them by nature. “I am going to kill myself will that make you happy” is manipulative. Not knowing what the other person was saying and doing doesn’t give enough insight to determine who was being more manipulative or more cruel or tell us how that ends up with one spouse being charged with killing the other in my opinion. I think this is why DV is so complicated and not always clear or simple to categorize and why it is a sentence enhancer and not a charge.
I beg to differ. In texts SM stated she is scared to be alone with her husband and that he is a master manipulator who uses their children as a tool to hurt her.

There is much more she had to say.

Yes, it's her side of the story with her list of grievances.

But, isn't that the point? This is her moment in time to have the right to be heard. She isn't here to defend herself...but her list is.

We've seen it time and again when a woman finally has the clarity to speak up, to tell on her husband, to report his abuse, to demand the abuse to stop......only not to be believed.

In my opinion to minimize a woman's list a grievances is to take away her voice.

Not being believed is probably one of a women's most painful positions to find hetself in.

Speaking out about abuse is never an easy decision for a survivor, many state that it takes a herculean amount of courage to do so.

SM was so afraid of her husband...she wrote list in secret. This was her herculean moment, but she hid it out of fear.....

Last edited:
Barry absolutely needed her phone to be missing though. Find her phone and you find their texts. He didn't count on the cloud, and he didn't count on the ability of law enforcement to recover the texts he deleted.

This jibes perfectly with the disappearance of her journal, which would potentially be as damning as what was on her phone.

We don't know if Barry thought they had it, or was acting. The charger doesn't introduce a third party or anything, and it certainly doesn't make it look like Suzanne took off.

I think that's incredibly minor and proves nothing.
The fact that the charger IS missing is, IMO, evidence that he killed her and dumped the charger because you can very easily buy a new one. He got rid of it to make it look like she took off - without her pocketbook, keys, credit cards, ID etc.
He wanted to throw everything out there, numerous possible explanations as to what happened. Abductors wouldn't want to take it, that sneaky mountain lion certainly didn't and if she took off she could replace it. A car charger is cheap.
She didn't WALK her way to freedom.
It's ridiculous to think she took it. Grasping at straws.

I think the phone is with Suzanne, wherever she is and he was playing with LE when asking if they found it. I also think it was with him on his ride to wherever as it last pinged around 4am. MG said she heard his truck outside her home around that time and it IS loud. Can't figure out why he'd be there tho. He'd packed all of the things he had to dispose of in the truck so he wasn't going to ask her to go with him. Is there a dumpster close by? This is what puzzles me, not the charger.

I really think she's in a mine, based on his reaction to Grusing's suggestion.

His phone comes out of airplane mode and remains in the house at like 10 something at night. He wanted that phone to be tracked while he disposed of Suzanne.

He arrives back home at around 3 in the morning, and that's when the truck activity occurs. I think he's loading up evidence and dumping the bike.

He grabs Suzanne's phone, does one final check of the house, and then leaves for Broomfield.

He makes that left turn and dumps the helmet.

In Broomfield he disposes of that evidence, and washes his truck to clean off any evidence in regards to the disposal.

He eventually crashes in his hotel room, exhausted from being up for 30 hours.

On page 92 of AA Grusing mentioned mine shafts and Barry shifted in his chair.

Barry then went on to say they should have thousands of people doing a grid search looking for a dig site, a bury site or a piece of clothing.

Seems someone looking for a missing loved one would reply "Good idea. Have any been searched? Do we have a list of mine locations and how long will it take to call in a team and start looking?"

On page 92 of AA Grusing mentioned mine shafts and Barry shifted in his chair.

Barry then went on to say they should have thousands of people doing a grid search looking for a dig site, a bury site or a piece of clothing.

Seems someone looking for a missing loved one would reply "Good idea. Have any been searched? Do we have a list of mine locations and how long will it take to call in a team and start looking?"
Yup. Grusing included body language in the AA on more than one occasion, as he obviously found it very significant.

That was a key moment.

Here's another example on page 121, he's really trying hard for a confession.

89108F4C-05EA-457C-9C91-FF7FB090CD66.jpeg

Re: BM's concern about MG sharing her phone with LE. Did anything come out of that?
Yes--she was fired from her job and now lives in fear

Gentile claimed in the interview that two unidentified men approached her in or near Salida, appearing to discourage her from talking to police.

“We would give you your paycheck, but we don’t want it to look like hush-hush money,” the men told her, Gentile claimed. “You have rights, but you don’t have to give CBI [Colorado Bureau of Investigation] your phone.”

Gentile told Fox 21 News that she did give her phone to investigators, and also gave five interviews to police. She said Morphew soon fired her, via text message.

“He fired me because I gave up my phone, I wasn’t staying quiet and I was complying with CBI,” Gentile told Fox 21 News. “I feel like if he was innocent, he would have talked to me. I worked with him every day for a long time.”
Former employee of Suzanne Morphew hubby “WE DID NOT HAVE AN AFFAIR!” – Crime Online

Well there’s this on May 15th. LE had first interviewed MG on May 14th.
Interesting that there was now only one person (GD) mentioned as speaking to MG. What’s up with that?
And let’s not forget that Barry was supposed to be leaving at 5:30 pm for Broomfield, with MG, or with MG following him if he hated her smoking. He left at the crack of dawn without his worker, for absolutely no reason. I still want to know when he booked the rooms.

BBM
@marylamby I agree with EVERYTHING you just said!! I think the main reason that none of his family spoke out, is the mere fact they are frightened of him. Plain and simple they were frightened of him!!!
Or, they just know him. Barry killed her and she had it coming. Otherwise, why would his sister accost Lauren Scharf at the courthouse and say how she tore her family apart (paraphrasing) if she were afraid of him? Could be a combination of both, perhaps but I lean toward family loyalty.

Interesting that there was now only one person (GD) mentioned as speaking to MG. What’s up with that?
And let’s not forget that Barry was supposed to be leaving at 5:30 pm for Broomfield, with MG, or with MG following him if he hated her smoking. He left at the crack of dawn without his worker, for absolutely no reason. I still want to know when he booked the rooms.
Yeah I noticed that in the AA they only mentioned GD.
Perhaps when he and TN approached her it was only GD who did the talking? Or maybe there was more than the one incident that MG told reporter LS about ?
GD could have contacted her more than once before BM fired her.
Just speculation on my part.
JMO

I disagree that Judge M had no responsibility to make redactions. The advocates take their positions (no surprise that the defense's was that all the significant evidence should not be released), but he is the final arbiter of what information is to be made public, and he has the ultimate responsibility to assure the defendant gets a fair trial. IMO, he failed in that responsibility. Some of us may be willing to let him off the hook, but I am not sure Chaffee County voters will. We'll get an answer soon: he is up for his second retention election this fall.

I agree that the DA has responsibility too, and that there are lessons to be learned - if the citizens hold their public officials accountable.
I agree with everything you said, and This is JMO (and I haven't looked at the AA for quite some time), but IIRC, Judge Murphy's priority in regards to redactions in the AA were focused on MM1 and MM2 names being redacted for their protection, and fast forward to now, what purpose did that really serve? :rolleyes:

Yup. Grusing included body language in the AA on more than one occasion, as he obviously found it very significant.

That was a key moment.

View attachment 332811
I’m hoping to hear what Grusing wrote in his report about the body language analysis.
This stance reminds me C. Watts.
Might have to go read up on what behavior analysts said about him.
JMO

Attachments

• F4771C3A-BB51-48CD-9558-7F87B0B1E597.jpeg
    F4771C3A-BB51-48CD-9558-7F87B0B1E597.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 1C194EA5-37E8-4B14-9AE0-68E40E7F6454.jpeg
    1C194EA5-37E8-4B14-9AE0-68E40E7F6454.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 38B42E1E-CBDA-428F-9E79-445CBFD1283E.jpeg
    38B42E1E-CBDA-428F-9E79-445CBFD1283E.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 65
I really think she's in a mine, based on his reaction to Grusing's suggestion.

His phone comes out of airplane mode and remains in the house at like 10 something at night. He wanted that phone to be tracked while he disposed of Suzanne.

He arrives back home at around 3 in the morning, and that's when the truck activity occurs. I think he's loading up evidence and dumping the bike.

He grabs Suzanne's phone, does one final check of the house, and then leaves for Broomfield.

He makes that left turn and dumps the helmet.

In Broomfield he disposes of that evidence, and washes his truck to clean off any evidence in regards to the disposal.

He eventually crashes in his hotel room, exhausted from being up for 30 hours.

That was a key moment.

View attachment 332811

Side note:

Did you notice Grusing tells Barry he will be his advocate to represent Barry's statements the very best he can because "right now Barry is not going to stand up and tell everybody his story because he is smart enough not to do that."

Uh oh.

Last edited:
bbm
If BM was constantly listening to true crime stories, he had to know of that possible evidence. ;)
IIRC, I think it was ? Christina Morris case in Texas where investigators/LE found dirt and/or weeds/grass under perp's car which was helpful to the investigation. Again, this is IIRC, so I could be mistaken about this.

I don’t think he killed her with a dart gun. That thing was being held together with zip ties and probably wasn’t functional to any practical degree. I don’t think he was chasing her around the house either, wifi wobble is a thing and can show someone running around in a house-sized area when they’re actually sitting still the whole time.

I think they argued, he strangled her, and dumped her body (dissolved or not) close to but not on the Puma Path property.

I go back and forth on this because he admits to dumping tranquilizer material and then the sheath is found In the dryer, I think it’s connected in some way. I think whatever happened that day happened in the bathroom.

I go back and forth on this because he admits to dumping tranquilizer material and then the sheath is found In the dryer, I think it’s connected in some way. I think whatever happened that day happened in the bathroom.

IMO since he admitted dumping tranquilizer material he felt he had to produce the gun because who stabs chipmunks?
I'm leaning toward him stabbing Suzanne.

Rewatching the video, the officer really struggles to wheel the bike back up the hill. Is the front wheel stuck? Is it spinning free? Seems like maybe it's not?

Is it clipped?
If this wasn't such a sad case, I would've actually laughed out loud watching that footage as he sure seemed to be having a difficult time getting that bike up to the road! He already had his hands all over it without gloves on so why not pick it up and carry it?! I mean, come on now! :rolleyes:

(I think he did finally figure out the front wheel wasn't turning because for a short distance, he did push the bike on just the rear wheel alone). o_O

IMO since he admitted dumping tranquilizer material he felt he had to produce the gun because who stabs chipmunks?
I'm leaning toward him stabbing Suzanne.

The gun isn’t as important for me if he can disappear his wife he can easily disappear a gun. I don’t believe so, there is no physical evidence in the home or vehicles.

"I think what happened that day happened in the bathroom"

Interesting theory.

Maybe she was in the tub, shower, whatever and Barry ran through the house, got to master bedroom with closed door.
He impatiently pounds on door, she's busy and he kicks door open...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57