Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #112

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's done incredible things for victims of domestic violence, and this case is the epitome of that.

She created an entire program for addressing the needs of domestic violence victims during her time in the 20th Judicial District. Seeing a clear need for that in the San Luis Valley, she applied to be appointed and said she’s right where she wants to be.

Kelly, when she landed in the 12th Judicial District, noticed the “alarming theme” of a lack of prosecution for domestic violence cases. She said that things are improving, but the mere fact that domestic violence cases were being dismissed prior to her taking office was and still is alarming. The effects of it, she said, are still being seen.

But prosecuting domestic violence cases and domestic abusers remains a passion of hers. “When you’re dealing with coercive, controlling, violent offenders in relationships they are particularly dangerous,” she said.

She also said that there are so many ways domestic violence shows itself, and that the violence “never gets better, it always increases in frequency and severity.”
So since we are putting the cart before the horse,
Here is a look at the judges in the 12th / In particular Amanda Hopkins who is the 12th Judicial District Chief Judge ( the same position Judge Patrick Murphy had in the 11th)

JMO

I have followed this mystery since the third week of May, 2020, full time for over two years on multiple platforms, part time since. It finally falls into place.

In My Opinion:

The first big surprise was the haphazard way he disposed of her. A flat land desolate area? Shallow grave? That alone tells us it was NOT a planned murder! This was an unplanned rage killing, haphazardly carried out! MassGuy’s summary of Barry’s dumb mistakes and lies bears it out. Not premeditated but it hardly matters since if convicted, he will die in prison in either case.

She blew his socks off when she said “done”. Thursday and Friday, he went about his business grading the lot by the river, the seething rage likely had him thinking: “I’ll kill her!
But, Suzanne knew him well and she was smarter. She had put up with his childish macho crap for a long time. She wasn’t afraid so she picked a week when the girls were gone. She became amenable. “Let’s go to town and eat out!” “Let’s have lunch, I made soup!” They discussed the girls’ visitation and housing. She played him like a fiddle. Going into that fateful Saturday, Barry might have thought - “Maybe I can win her over?”

Coming back from town, Barry phoned her over and over. She was busy. She had been sexting with Jeff Libler. Paraphrasing: Jeff said “Let’s get naked”? She said let’s do it on a certain website. The FBI said this wasn’t the first time.

Let’s remember key related facts. The bedroom door had been forced open, breaking the trim. Barry’s hands and arms were gouged by her fingernails.

What makes sense is that Barry came into the house, angry about Suzanne ignoring his calls. He came to the locked bedroom door and something caused him to shoulder it open. Maybe she didn’t answer his knocks and after forcing the door, he saw her naked with her cell phone. Maybe he heard her sexting and recording “Oh Jeff baby”. Or something else. Once inside, Suzanne likely bolted for the bathroom and he caught her and strangled her. After all, he had a big torso and was push-up king at the gym. He didn’t need a dart, gun or knife. Any resultant bodily fluids on the tile floor would be easily cleaned up.
Then, Barry came up with a plan:
… “I’ll toss her bike in the ravine. I’ll toss her helmet off he US highway going west. Those stupid cops will think she was abducted and the bad guys are heading westbound.”
… “I’m going NorthEast!”
… “I’ll dump her body south! The cops will never find her.”
… “They’ll never figure it out!”
… And he was right. Her scattered remains were found by accident.

The FBI autopsy said she likely died from strangulation, just as I had surmised. I’m not sure how they could tell, since the hyoid bone is held in place by muscles and ligaments which would be long gone. Maybe the bone was damaged?

We shall see …….

(In my opinion)
Good post, I agree with most of what you said. I think BM possibly had thought about/mulled over killing SM before Mother’s Day weekend, 2020 and just hadn’t put together/planned it all out.
I also think it’s possible he was waiting/hoping she would succumb to cancer but it was taking too long/Suzanne was beating the odds, so he was mulling and mulling over killing her for a couple years and possibly started seriously thinking about it six months before Mother’s Day weekend 2020, about the time she was celebrating finding out her cancer was in remission which iirc was somewhere around Oct/Nov 2019.

I believe BM found out about the affair at some point via possible spying/looking at her phone etc., and on Saturday afternoon he drove home seething after SM had been ignoring his calls. Basically, I think it all came to a head in his mind, the perfect storm if you will. Between getting the “I’m done” text a mere few days prior, she’s having an affair! She’s ignoring my calls while talking/sexting with her lover!
BM was panicking in his mind driving home that Saturday afternoon with all of the above going through his head becoming angrier and angrier i.e., how dare she!, she’s not leaving and taking the money and everything I’ve worked so hard for!, no one leaves me!!, I’ll show her!! all these thoughts racing through his head while he’s driving home working himself into an anger fueled rage. I can just picture it when he arrived home at 2:44pm seeing red so to speak, thrust his vehicle into park and jumped out of his truck without closing the door! He was in a full blown rage, running around the property and the house looking for SM. Came upon the locked master bedroom door. Busted door in. Struggle between the two ensued. BM overtook her and strangled her to death.

Not sure about if he used the tranq gun/tranq dart to subdue her before killing her that afternoon but it’s possible he did since he admitted to running around the property gun in hand after arriving home (shooting chipmunks (insert enormous eyeroll)), and admitted he disposed of tranq materials in Broomfield. It’s also posdible he had a 2nd working tranq gun that he disposed of on his trash run odyssey, who knows.

At any rate, tranq or no tranq, imo he hunted her down at the house whether he chased her or whether she was already behind the locked bedroom door when he got home and he was running around looking for her, imo it ended with him breaking in the bedroom door, overtaking her and killing her imo strangled her to death. Everything that followed was clearly a man in a panic, up all night cleaning and loading his truck with incriminating evidence to be dumped in Broomfield, staging bike and helmet, shallow grave burial, going to (fake) “job” on Sunday/Morher’s Day when work was not allowed by city ordinance/no work permit etc.

I cannot imagine the terror and fear Suzanne felt in her final moments on earth as BM silenced her forever.

Let’s hope her voice is finally heard in court at future BM trial…waiting….tick tock..

IMHOO

#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
That's going to be a very, very difficult decision for some people. On the one hand Susan's friends and family are definitely going to want to attend to celebrate Susan's life. But on the other hand having to sit there and watch barry fake that he actually gives one single shred of thought/care/love about her might be too much for them. I honestly don't think I could be in the same room with a person like him. The man is an animal and makes my stomach hurt. Hopefully they found something that can take barry out of the celebration and directly to jail there in front of everybody!!!

After Suzanne's body was found we heard no statement from BM and daughters iirc, only Iris saying that BM and daughters only wanted privacy to grieve .It's interesting to me that the date and place of the service is being announced so publicly because that sure will not afford them any privacy. Do BM and the girls miss the media ? Because you know for damn sure this will get a lot of attention. It reeks of an orchestrated spectacle IMO - a made for TV moment with the former and soon to be defendant playing the grieving husband with the daughters flanking him. And don'y forget Shirley and Marcy. WIll Sho be there or hiding back at Shirleys house?

Why not hold a service for family and close friends without all the fanfare. Its been 4 years since her murder and 7 months out from the discovery of her remains and we have yet to see an obituary - should I assume it's still too "soon" for Barry to get one those done or does he need a go fund me for the cost to get one published ? I guess we will see one shortly with the service/burial information etc ?

And yes @Derph I share all your sentiments. I think it will be a difficult decision for Suzanne's friends on what to do. So much feels "off" to me about this very public service. If I am her siblings....I don't go. But I know they were all trying to keep an open line to the girls so who knows what their decision will be and its definitley not for me to judge.

BM has such nerve to be so brazen and bold to orchestrate this - hopefully he'll drop some nuggets similar to the "The killer is still out there " that will come back to haunt him -

It would be great if some of the Colorado folks showed up like Grusing et al. and sat in the church pew behind him
JUST all IMO

After Suzanne's body was found we heard no statement from BM and daughters iirc, only Iris saying that BM and daughters only wanted privacy to grieve .It's interesting to me that the date and place of the service is being announced so publicly because that sure will not afford them any privacy. Do BM and the girls miss the media ? Because you know for damn sure this will get a lot of attention. It reeks of an orchestrated spectacle IMO - a made for TV moment with the former and soon to be defendant playing the grieving husband with the daughters flanking him. And don'y forget Shirley and Marcy. WIll Sho be there or hiding back at Shirleys house?

Why not hold a service for family and close friends without all the fanfare. Its been 4 years since her murder and 7 months out from the discovery of her remains and we have yet to see an obituary - should I assume it's still too "soon" for Barry to get one those done or does he need a go fund me for the cost to get one published ? I guess we will see one shortly with the service/burial information etc ?

And yes @Derph I share all your sentiments. I think it will be a difficult decision for Suzanne's friends on what to do. So much feels "off" to me about this very public service. If I am her siblings....I don't go. But I know they were all trying to keep an open line to the girls so who knows what their decision will be and its definitley not for me to judge.

BM has such nerve to be so brazen and bold to orchestrate this - hopefully he'll drop some nuggets similar to the "The killer is still out there " that will come back to haunt him -

It would be great if some of the Colorado folks showed up like Grusing et al. and sat in the church pew behind him
JUST all IMO
Perhaps they didn't want to do something until they had a body to bury after a service. Guess I'm just not that cynical. For the daughters sake I hope it doesn't become a spectacle. They have had to wait quite a while since her body was discovered to give her a proper service and burial.

@149Zone7

The Colorado medical examiner has completed an autopsy for Suzanne Morphew, a mom of two who went missing in 2020 before her remains were found in October 2023. I have maintained that what she was wearing at the time of her disappearance will point to when she was killed. I believe she will have on the bathing suit. That means she was not in bed sleeping when Barry left.

@149Zone7

The Colorado medical examiner has completed an autopsy for Suzanne Morphew, a mom of two who went missing in 2020 before her remains were found in October 2023. I have maintained that what she was wearing at the time of her disappearance will point to when she was killed. I believe she will have on the bathing suit. That means she was not in bed sleeping when Barry left.
Seriously?

She's done incredible things for victims of domestic violence, and this case is the epitome of that.

She created an entire program for addressing the needs of domestic violence victims during her time in the 20th Judicial District. Seeing a clear need for that in the San Luis Valley, she applied to be appointed and said she’s right where she wants to be.

Kelly, when she landed in the 12th Judicial District, noticed the “alarming theme” of a lack of prosecution for domestic violence cases. She said that things are improving, but the mere fact that domestic violence cases were being dismissed prior to her taking office was and still is alarming. The effects of it, she said, are still being seen.

But prosecuting domestic violence cases and domestic abusers remains a passion of hers. “When you’re dealing with coercive, controlling, violent offenders in relationships they are particularly dangerous,” she said.

She also said that there are so many ways domestic violence shows itself, and that the violence “never gets better, it always increases in frequency and severity.”
Thank you.

Don't you think, he had the worst case scenario already planned out? "If she wants her inherited money and if she wants to maintain her standards re living and if she is threatening to report to cops (things, she has learned of, which I maybe did in the past) and if she tries to win the girls over - then I will kill her. If I can't hold her for external appearances (plus for my office work like writing bills) - then nobody will get her. If anyone is bragging about her at a vacation spot somewhere, it's me and only me!" I imagine his thoughts ....

I believe, it was premeditated in any case. Also think of the Sunday-job in Broomfield, which wasn't ok to execute then and even by 3 people. Sloppy as BM is, he organized all in the last minute, but I think, he did always like that and until today can't live without this spontaneousness. It doesn't mean, he didn't have planned to do something to his wife.

When he thought of a dumping place, maybe he assumed, a perverse abductor would have dumped SM at this deserted area, without clothing and not deep buried. Remember: he often listened to True Crime on his many car drives. Maybe, he knew, how an abductor aka stranger would have gotten rid of his victim.
I don't think he planned to kill her until that day.

Up until then, he'd always found a way to pull her back.

Now, if he'd caught her WITH a lover, IMO he would have taken the man out. Graphically.

Look at the lengths he went to to define Suzanne's unlovingness. Drugs, alcohol, not in her right mind, ballsy. No accommodation for Suzanne's free will, the desires of her heart. No, he was never bothered by such trifling as her wants, needs or whims. He thought she should be happy enough, to be married to him-- remember he carried her. Once. When she was sick. A hundred years ago. She had her girls, a lovely home, an allowance, what wasn't to love? Or so he thought. Like trying to teach a bird that they'd no world beyond the pretty bars.

Barry was no stranger to enemies. Made them wherever he went, I imagine.

I think he probably had a habit of mentally doing away with those who offended his sensibilities, thought it macho to carry the big gun, drive the big truck, threaten to barry people who crossed him. But Suzanne? He'd been controlling her for decades. Always found a way to keep her in the box. Guessing he tried everything that week/weekend. And was ASTONISHED at her uncharacteristic resolve. Maybe THAT'S when the mini cam went up. He needed to know whose boots were under Suzanne's bed.

Doubtful we'll ever know the whole truth but I suspect Moffat wasn't his first choice. I think he got busted or spooked nearby and then went for distance instead.

The arched gouges on his arms tell me everything.

JMO

FWIW per the AA, the bikini she'd been wearing was accounted for, located on a hanger in her closet.

I think she was half dressed. Baby blue t-shirt and little else, bike shorts still on her closet floor.

Barried, however, in her birthday suit.

Ring or no ring?

JUST all IMO
If I was a sibling of Suzannes you bet I would go (for her). I would be very kind to everyone who showed up, including his side of family. I would not be friendly to him or show some fake united front. If he looked my way, I would stare him down. I would try to show Suzanne’s daughters that I cared for their mom.

Only one of Suzanne’s brothers live in Indiana, the one who searched for her when Barry didn’t. Her sister and other brother live out of State and may not feel the need to go.

I have dreams of the FBI attending and taking Barry with them when they leave but I guess that’s only on TV.

Then I would go home, cry and pray for justice.

FWIW per the AA, the bikini she'd been wearing was accounted for, located on a hanger in her closet.

I think she was half dressed. Baby blue t-shirt and little else, bike shorts still on her closet floor.

Ring or no ring?

RBBM

No ring.

I think he sold it, trying to cover debts.

JMVHO.

If I was a sibling of Suzannes you bet I would go (for her). I would be very kind to everyone who showed up, including his side of family. I would not be friendly to him or show some fake united front. If he looked my way, I would stare him down. I would try to show Suzanne’s daughters that I cared for their mom.

Only one of Suzanne’s brothers live in Indiana, the one who searched for her when Barry didn’t. Her sister and other brother live out of State and may not feel the need to go.

I have dreams of the FBI attending and taking Barry with them when they leave but I guess that’s only on TV.

Then I would go home, cry and pray for justice.

I hope her brother goes, but would understand if he chooses not to attend. He was there for Suzanne when Barry was not.

SEPT. 24
SUZANNE'S BROTHER STARTS INDEPENDENT SEARCH

"I'm literally just there to search — I need to find her, need to bring her home, give her a proper burial and closure for my family," he said. "And that's my point. I'm not about finding somebody guilty or trying to inflict punishment on anyone. That's not my job. That's the law enforcement's job."

-Andy Moorman, Suzanne's brother

I hope her brother goes, but would understand if he chooses not to attend. He was there for Suzanne when Barry was not.

SEPT. 24

SUZANNE'S BROTHER STARTS INDEPENDENT SEARCH

"I'm literally just there to search — I need to find her, need to bring her home, give her a proper burial and closure for my family," he said. "And that's my point. I'm not about finding somebody guilty or trying to inflict punishment on anyone. That's not my job. That's the law enforcement's job."

-Andy Moorman, Suzanne's brother

he is an amazing and inspiring human being.
I would not attend if she was my sister, daughter, friend or acquaintance under these circumstances.
They can have a ceremony themselves together filled with real sincere love.
This is tokenism and a further insult to her memory.

he is an amazing and inspiring human being.
I would not attend if she was my sister, daughter, friend or acquaintance under these circumstances.
They can have a ceremony themselves together filled with real sincere love.
This is tokenism and a further insult to her memory.
No doubt, Andy would also be welcome at the Poncha Springs memorial held annually.

I still think this falls under first degree murder, but I continue to believe this was done in a rage. I think he worked himself up all day, and he knew he was going to kill Suzanne before he arrived home.

The post offense behavior indicates a lack of planning, from the haphazard body dump to the hilarious “alibi.”

One correction though, there is no word on autopsy results, despite articles online clearly written by bots. Hopefully we get something on Monday, but I’m not expecting a cause of death.
Neither am I, but I’m hoping for something

Ring or no ring?
No ring and naked. I’m surprised he left the port in tbh.

@149Zone7

Seriously?

Ring or no ring?

That brings me to question about Suzanne disappearing after leaving her home for a bike ride on Mother's Day 2020? Was that what BM stated about Suzanne or did someone else say that?

Serious question… y’all — Sheryl Mac’s post interesting and I know you guys know so much about this case. TIA :)

That brings me to question about Suzanne disappearing after leaving her home for a bike ride on Mother's Day 2020? Was that what BM stated about Suzanne or did someone else say that?

Serious question… y’all — Sheryl Mac’s post interesting and I know you guys know so much about this case. TIA
:)
Thank you, I have a similar question but thought I was the only one. A neighbor/friend IIRC was the one who sounded the alarm when Suzanne didn’t return from her bike ride. I thought Suzanne had talked to her neighbor/friend about going on the bike ride, am I remembering correctly? Or did “someone” use her phone to text the neighbor/friend about the bike ride?

Serious question… y’all — Sheryl Mac’s post interesting and I know you guys know so much about this case. TIA
:)
When asked about working on Sunday he stated, “It's Mother's Day. I's not like its husband day. He stated he stayed at the worksite with the quote, “I think I was there until probably 6:00." In regards to the call(s) to Jeanne Ritter, he stated, “She calls me and says, “Hey, her car is here.” And I said, “Well, is her bike there?” She goes, “Where does she keep the bike?” And I said, “Well, pulled out (sic) her car. It should be right near the car.” She goes, “There's no bike here. (Unintelligible) look here in the back.” And I said, “Well, she’s ridin’ her bike but I'm a little concerned, because I think she said she was gonna take a morning ride”.

Pg 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member