Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #112

Status
Not open for further replies.
She says she talked to an investigator who told her that caffeine stays in your system a long time (like 12 hours or so). So assuming she had coffee at 7 or 8, it would still be in her system when she was murdered, which may have been 7-8 hours later.

I saw something like 10 hours when I googled it, but regardless, it doesn’t show what Iris claims it shows.

Lauren also says she had a fairly lengthy unreleased interview with Barry, but she doesn’t want to release it and harm the case.

I would think this would be played in court, especially if it covers topics Barry wasn’t questioned on, or if his answers differ from law enforcement interviews.

The family is quite skeptical about the integrity of this investigation as the very same investigators that concealed the unknown male DNA continue to be involved in this investigation and were present at the autopsy of Suzanne Morphew.

RSBM

Can attorney's defend their clients without insinuating corruption?

It really gets my goat that the techs/professionals who do these complex examinations and analysis would be jiggering their findings to frame someone when they don't have any dog in the fight. And no one concealed anything. The reason the defence knows about the DNA is precisely because it was discovered to them and a depo was given before the prelim!

Why not a female work glove? it was pink. Maybe belonged to a friend who helped him? maybe someone he was dating?
If the left pink glove was missing, it may still be secondhand owned by a left-handed woman. Do we know a left-handed woman in BM's vicinity? (Right-handed person would be impossible to find out.)

Last edited:
Since SM was found, we've discussed a lot whether or not the prosecution really needed something to connect the suspect directly to Moffat.

I was one of the people who believed they did not need that

But now, in my opinion they have that. Especially this ties to the murder to the home IMO. It's simply not credible that an abductor was lurking about on rural roads with injectable horse tranqs. The home was a place that had those drugs.

02c

Last edited:
Quite chilling and sad to read the autopsy details of Suzanne's remains and her clothing. I knew she had had chemotherapy but I wasn't aware she still had a medical port in situ.
I'm not familiar with the way tranquilizer darts work but I wonder if there is any way that their contents could have been introduced into Suzanne via the medical port? It would have been one way to ensure they got into her system very quickly but I don't know where the port was sited and therefore how easy it would have been for someone to gain access to it. I just think Barry clearly pre-meditated this to a great extent and it might have crossed his mind?

Hat tip to @MassGuy for posting the answer to this earlier: The 12th Judicial District will handle WILL handle the case!
anyone able to summarise this as cannot access. If the case is being passed to the 12th, I'm guessing that they will have to review all the evidence, starting again? Surely they would not use the same AA?

Not that the daughters would be any help, but I wonder what Suzanne typically wore around the house. I just wonder if maybe we’ve been “Irised,” and perhaps Suzanne didn’t only wear these Yeti shorts for bike riding.

She’s characterized the clothing as “biking clothes,” but this is the same woman who says coffee proves his innocence.

I don’t see any photos of her wearing a hoodie on a bike ride.

View attachment 500373
Hmm. The sweatshirt, not biking apparel imo, the shorts could be. As you say - could be lounging around clothes.

Since SM was found, we've discussed lot whether or not the prosecution really needed something to connect the suspect directly to Moffat.

I was one of the people who believed they did not need that

But now, in my opinion they have that. Especially this ties to the murder to the home IMO. It's simply not credible that an abductor was lurking about on rural roads with injectable horse tranqs. The home was a place that had those drugs.

02c
I'm not sure - IMO the phone being dark for a certain amount of time is more powerful.

Lauren also says she had a fairly lengthy unreleased interview with Barry, but she doesn’t want to release it and harm the case.

I would think this would be played in court, especially if it covers topics Barry wasn’t questioned on, or if his answers differ from law enforcement interviews.
Oh yes, I remember! Waiting for it now ....

I've been thinking there's a chance he'll flee. If he was 1/4 as smart as he believes himself to be, he would have made arrangements, in case, after he was arrested and nearly had to face a trial earlier. He's had what, a couple of years ? to plan an escape if necessary.

Small chance though I think, because his narcissism and bravado cancels out any brain cells he might have used.
So long as Barry thinks only a guilty person would flee perhaps he'll stay put.

So long as he believes money can buy his freedom, he'll stay put.

So long as he believes his attorney's nonsense, he'll stay put.

I hope he's arrested before he can change his mind.

JMO

She says she talked to an investigator who told her that caffeine stays in your system a long time (like 12 hours or so). So assuming she had coffee at 7 or 8, it would still be in her system when she was murdered, which may have been 7-8 hours later.

I saw something like 10 hours when I googled it, but regardless, it doesn’t show what Iris claims it shows.
Didn't we learn, too, that Suzanne wasn't an early riser? Her phone records from 5/9 will give a good timeline for when she awakened. She might not have had her coffee until 9 or 10am, scarcely had time to cool before she was killed. Killed before she could rinse her cup out. And we know Barry doesn't know how to.

JMO

I thought earlier that the balaclava indicated that she was heading out but Suzanne was immunocompromised and the pandemic was in full swing, she was likely never far from a mask. Barry was all over, she probably masked up as a matter of course from him.

Barry was firm. Baby blue biking clothes. Because IMO that's what he threw away. Suzanne was wearing yoga shorts and a Crested Butte hoodie over a tank top (green iirc). Barefoot. Decidedly not biking clothes.

Early-afternoon, Suzanne was wearing comfy clothes. Had all afternoon to herself, I imagine she thought. Wash some sheets, remake the bed, rinse out her coffee cup, head out for a bike ride around 4pm, in her biking clothes.

And she would have. If she hadn't been stopped in her tracks. By Barry, armed with heavy tranquilizers.

IMO she fought for her life.

He fought to end it.

Now we fight for justice.

JMO

Last edited:
Rarely am I happy to hear about an autopsy. First thought, do her offspring now think some random stranger was hanging around her bike trails with ANOTHER tranq. kit? Man I would like to see him go down. Same with Kohberger. Smug creeps.
I only now, have had a chance to get on my laptop.
To hear, of animal tranquilizers found in SM's bone marrow points to the person familiar with using them, talking about them, living at the home with SM.

So pleased, as more ammunition now to sink BM.
He must be terrified, waiting to permanently live in a cage.
Soon to come, as we look forward to 'breaking news', "BM arrested".
YIPPEE. When will this day arrive !!!!......it's just round the corner.

Quite chilling and sad to read the autopsy details of Suzanne's remains and her clothing. I knew she had had chemotherapy but I wasn't aware she still had a medical port in situ.
I'm not familiar with the way tranquilizer darts work but I wonder if there is any way that their contents could have been introduced into Suzanne via the medical port? It would have been one way to ensure they got into her system very quickly but I don't know where the port was sited and therefore how easy it would have been for someone to gain access to it. I just think Barry clearly pre-meditated this to a great extent and it might have crossed his mind?

Very easy, as the port is usually gives access to a big (very big) vein in the upper part of the body. However, the dart is made to incapacitate a large, muscular animal with a body mass much higher than Suzanne's one, so it can be thrown and there's enough of the substance in it to tranquilize such an animal. Both ways seem plausible to me.

Barry Morphew released this statement through his attorneys after the autopsy results were released:

For the past four years the Morphews have agonized over Suzanne's disappearance. This included not only the pain of the loss of their wife and mother but also the false accusations and prosecution of Barry Morphew. The Morphews have prayed the authorities would remove their blinders and not only find Suzanne, but find the suspect responsible for her disappearance and murder. However, the Morphews are left with more questions than answers and a lack of justice for Suzanne, the family
and the community.

On May 10, 2020, around 5:00 a.m. Barry Morphew went to work, driving approximately 160 miles north of the Morphew home for a job that had been planned for months. In 2020, investigators confirmed that Suzanne was a regular morning coffee drinker and DNA testing done in 2020 confirmed that the half finished cup of coffee left on the kitchen counter on May 10, 2020 was covered in her DNA only. The autopsy now also confirms that on the day she disappeared, Suzanne had her morning cup of coffee as shown by the caffeine in the toxicology report. The autopsy also confirms that she put on her mountain bike clothes and was either getting ready for, or was already on her morning bike ride, when she was abducted, allegedly drugged, and buried 50 miles south of their home.

Despite the fact that unknown male DNA was found in Suzanne's car, where her bike was parked, on her bike grips, handlebars, and bike seat, the authorities will not tell the Morphew family whether Suzanne's bike clothes, collected seven months ago with her remains, have been tested for DNA. DNA left on her clothing by the murderer could bring justice for Suzanne, her family and the community. The authorities will also not provide the Morphew's
[sic] any information regarding whether they have performed any testing on the bullet that was collected with Suzanne's remains.

The authorities offered the victims, Barry, Mallory and Macy, the option to retrieve Suzanne's remains, but they want to ensure the suspect is apprehended before they take what could be an important piece of evidence in the suspect's prosecution. The
family is quite skeptical about the integrity of this investigation as the very same investigators that concealed the unknown male DNA continue to be involved in this investigation and were present at the autopsy of Suzanne Morphew.

The family asks for privacy and implores the authorities to look at the case with fresh eyes, follow all leads, conduct all forensic testing, and solve Suzanne's murder.
Suzanne Morphew's death declared a homicide nearly 4 years after she was reported missing in Colorado

Updated on: April 29, 2024 / 7:27 PM EDT / CBS Colorado

She had 2 weeks to work on a statement and that's all that she came up with. Both too much and too futile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spence05