Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #112

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember exactly what Tranq paraphernalia was recovered from the residence/garage apart from the needle cap?

I seem to recall photos of related materials found in the garage?

To me, it's always been a bit of an issue that no working tranq gun was ever recovered. As if he really did for example shoot deer from the breezeway recently - where is the gun?

02c

I'd like to give mad props to CBI, the FBI, the prosecutor and the DA for absolutely nailing the PCA, and the investigation.

They had such a small thing to go on - the needle sheath. As @MassGuy points out, had they missed the significance of that, they never get the theory correct. But even having found it, they still needed the skilled informal interrogation of Grusing to get the suspect to make the key admissions that highlighted that tranqs were involved.

There has been so much incorrect hindsight reasoning that somehow the collapse of the case was because they moved too quick on the PCA. But actually the PCA was spot on. As we now see the discovery violations have nothing to do with the theory of the case being incorrect, or the evidence being wrong.

Just maybe, Judge Lama did the prosecution a big favour in dismissing this case without prejudice. Not because it was weak or incorrect but because it's just so much stronger with a body.

This is my 02c

This statement by Iris makes no logical sense: "The authorities offered the victims, Barry, Mallory and Macy, the option to retrieve Suzanne's remains, but they want to ensure the suspect is apprehended before they take what could be an important piece of evidence in the suspect’s prosecution."

The autopsy is done, and the remains showed no signs of violence. In every single case I have ever followed, the family has immediately taken possession of those remains, and conducted some sort of funeral. Instead, Suzanne's bones are relegated to a paper bag, serving no further purpose to the authorities.

Iris is simply having them held so she can have further forensic testing done once Barry is arrested for Suzanne's murder. There's no other reasonable explanation, as I see it.
IMO - For me personally, by refusing to collect his wife’s murdered remains, it’s a sign of guilt, he doesn’t want her, he got rid of her in the first place! Her family deserve to have them. He appears completely unaware of how a grieving, loving & innocent husband would/should react.

Last edited:
This video you kindly posted is what rubs me up the wrong way about his defence team.

I am all for Jane Fisher-Byrialsen conducting a vigorous defence. However, quoting from the video

Why does the attorney insist on personally vouching for him? Shouldn't she say more accurately say

or is this just a stylistic approach in the US now to use the direct construction? It makes me uneasy where the attorney acts as a spokesman for the accused who is maintaining silence. IMO it is fine for the attorney to advance the clients case, including in the media, but it is strange for her to definitively say things that he himself is not saying. Especially Jane Fisher-Byrialsen does not personally know if he is innocent or not. Her constitutional role is to defend him either way.

This is my old school opinion only.
That's 15 million dollars talking

I agree. There is a lot we don’t know or the parameters that were used to calculate the level of BAM to get to ‘intoxication’.
In my opinion, ANY amount of BAM points directily to him. No others. Her body, the BAM, the mountains of circumstantial evidence in the hands of an expert prosecution puts this monster behind bars.

Given that the Celebration of Life will be a PR event for Mr. Morphew, it would seem like an arrest beforehand, or even as he arrives at the event, could be of strategic value. While this decision would rest on other factors related to the strength of the State's case, it would be hard to find a more decisive way to begin his path toward retribution.

And, it must be said, it would provide certain participants in this forum a not insubstantial amount of exhilaration (particularly if there’s video!).
BM would easily use his daughters as a protective shield, especially since he's probably clinging to the girls throughout the entire procedure anyway.

I don't know... very hard to figure out what's going on with him. His lawyers have probably instilled a sense of invincibility in him.

If I was him I'd be off buying a new passport and heading for the hills.. his legal bills must be off the Richter scale by now.
I’m curious too, as to why he hasn’t run.

In my opinion, ANY amount of BAM points directily to him. No others. Her body, the BAM, the mountains of circumstantial evidence in the hands of an expert prosecution puts this monster behind bars.
But, you’d need to look at it from the defence pov and not the prosecution. There are a couple of scenarios I can imagine being bought up as a defence angle already. I’m sure Iris and her team have more.

Does anyone remember exactly what Tranq paraphernalia was recovered from the residence/garage apart from the needle cap?

To me, it's always been a bit of an issue that no working tranq gun was ever recovered. As if he really did for example shoot deer from the breezeway recently - where is the gun?

02c
Broken down and put in the McDonald’s bin?

He remembered to take the bike clothes but he forgot her shoes.

Her biking clothes were found with her remains, according to Barry's attorney and the autopsy report.
A bullet was also found, but it wasn't clear whether it was used, according to the attorneys. They also tell 9NEWS that none of Suzanne's bones in her feet were found in the shallow grave, nor were her shoes. They do not know why that might be.
The feet are made up of small bones. Over the past three plus years, They probably got hauled off and scattered. The hands and wrist are composed of small bones, and I wonder if they found all of the hand bones. Even with that, one would expect that shoes would still be present somewhere within or around the shallow grave location. Leads me to believe, trhis whole ordeal was hastily put together.

But, you’d need to look at it from the defence pov and not the prosecution. There are a couple of scenarios I can imagine being bought up as a defence angle already. I’m sure Iris and her team have more.
Of course the defence will try, but in my opinion, with an adequate prosecutory team, there is no believable defense here. Look at the garbage his defense posted as a response to the autopsy. He is cooked. I would love to see him arrested today.

02c
Did any experts look at the tranq gun? Or was it Barry's law enforcement buddies who said they didnt think it worked? Barry liked guns. Likely that he had more than one of them....

I wish I could remember, but I think it was one of the daughter's BF at the time that said Suzanne always rode at a certain time of day. I thought it was morning but now this makes more sense for sure. Also, wasn't her purse also in her car with her camelback?
I thought we discounted morning rides at that altitude at this time of the year.
One worker bee here actually got the temperature records, and I don't recall any morning readings over 40F!
Wind chill and you'd be numb in short order, wearing neoprene or not.
I trained for years, from the Bahamas to NH, from the PI to Bermuda, from VA to Key West. I drew the line @ 55F.
Going 25 mph results at the top of every stroke that your toes alternatively enjoy a 50mph breeze. Plus any unhelpful headwind.:eek:
No. Suzanne never rode in the morning from any base near home. Nor it seems could she have anywhere else IMO. Ballsy Suzanne only began her joy of cycling after her return from a Jeff visit toward the tail of 2019. And her mentor/riding bud helping her get some grip on her minimum 18-gear mountain bike was Macy's boyfriend, Miles... who we recall attested to his riding experience(s) with Suzanne...as well as all manner of things unhelpful to the lying liar who was lying to any and all in the dusk/dark of the bike-mauling mountain lion ravine attack scene and contemporaneously sustaining tree branch-inflicted crescent-shaped wounds to his Popeye forearm during his rousing shouting Suzanne seek and peek through the gloom. On his lying lonesome. What a dolt.

As well, it never made sense to me that, after lolly-gagging, SPF-35ed, bikini-clad, selfing over a consequently slippery cell phone, lastly proposing a more secure (and more explicito_O) hook-up momentarily... that Suzanne would remind herself:
"Gee! Better get going on my 'afternoon 'cause it's nice and warm now' bike ride!
"Which I seem to have forgotten to tell dear Miles about!
"Oh pooh!"
* Aside: And which I should hope LE developed w/Master Miles to further cut the legs from under inept Barr's biking production.

This is an interesting detail. Did she have her car repaired at a shop recently?
Yes she had her snow tires changed out to regular tires IIRC? Even if she had oil changes at a Range Rover Dealership they would have given her a service record or even put in the glove box. Over the years of her ownership of the vehicle I would be more surprised if there WASN'T any other DNA found in the glove box.

JMO

I think he has a couple of sisters who probably are still supporting him.
Seems like ole' BM has been constantly coddled and put on a pedestal by the females in his life.

I wonder if he truly has ever had any real male friends? Not just gym rat partners or work and firehouse buddies, but meaningful friendships with other males? Hah, he thought Grusing was his real friend..ooopsie big mistake there.

I don't believe he has because I don't believe he is capable of it. BM could schmooze the women around him because of their undying devotion to him, but I think it would have been harder to fool men in his dealings.

We have heard a lot of stories about BM from men he crossed and bamboozled.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member