Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #112

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was anything helpful to the defense in that autopsy report, I have no doubt we would know about it. I mean, Iris and that other attorney are focusing on caffeine being in her system, which says it all. Under both the prosecution theory of the crime, and the defense's counter, there should be caffeine in her system.

What interests me is the anthropological supplement that the defense may not have, and the analysis of the particular items found in and around that grave. We know the defense doesn't have that.
Hi MassGuy! Why wouldn’t the defense have those items/e.g. that information if it had been mentioned in the autopsy? Would you mind clarifying your interest?

@MassGuy said that it was reported that BM did not pick up SM’s remains at the advisement of IE as he may still be regarded as a suspect, they don’t know. Now if the coroners office offers the remains to Suzanne’s family (sister/brothers) what would happen if they interred her remains and then BM is subsequently arrested? Could IE ask that the remains be exhumed for their own testing? How awful would that be??? :(. Just wondering.
I think if they want to do testing, they could use the samples already taken from her remains and use those to do whatever test they want. I think LE was careful to ensure they got enough of a sample to be able to test it again or in the event the defense would want to do some additional testing they have something to offer for that testing instead of having to exhume her.

Hi MassGuy! Why wouldn’t the defense have those items/e.g. that information if it had been mentioned in the autopsy? Would you mind clarifying your interest?
There is no case right now, so they're not entitled to things that are evidence, and not typically included in an autopsy report. It's not like there's ongoing discovery at this stage, so there's plenty that they don't have.

Does it matter?
He admitted to shooting the deer with darts on his property at around the same time that he murdered her.. how does he do that without a "vehicle" to shoot the darts from. What he did with that gun in the "in between" time before LE came to search and seize - anybody's guess.
When he sdrove up to LE in his truck and handed that gun out his drivers side window - the sawed off rifle looking one - he identified it as the gun he used for the darts iirc. Investigators could not figure out how he could have used that gun.

DING ding - Barry handed it off willingly - so crafty ...a gun he said shoots darts but doesn't. Well gosh he said it was the gun (eye roll). That gun is long gone bc we know know he likely used it to shoot her up with BAM. Maybe she grabbed at the gun and BM was afraid her prints would be found on it - or whatever.

The important thing is we know he had a gun at Puma Path that was capable of shooting those darts bc he told us he used the BAM around the end of April at Puma Path.

Would I love to have the gun ( as well as a lot of things he threw away on the way to Broomfield and at Broomfield) ?
Sure , but I don't really find it necessary. I think you can also find people who saw a gun like that at his house - George in particular comes to mind with the 400 tours.

JMO

I agree he was likely lying either way.

Grusing trapped him perfectly by asking him if he might have been shooting in the house. He knew Grusing must have something, so he invented the breezeway shooting to cover it, without knowing what 'it' was. He thought they found a dart IMO.

Then the obvious problem was why did he not have a functioning gun or any serum if that happened. I believed he probably dumped the gun. But now i think he might not have used a gun at all. He just did it by hand. But then he needed to have a gun for his story.

I made a post a while back about how BM found it 'ironic' that his made up stories cast suspicion on him. I still believe that was an unintentional admission.

Does it matter?
He admitted to shooting the deer with darts on his property at around the same time that he murdered her.. how does he do that without a "vehicle" to shoot the darts from. What he did with that gun in the "in between" time before LE came to search and seize - anybody's guess.
When he sdrove up to LE in his truck and handed that gun out his drivers side window - the sawed off rifle looking one - he identified it as the gun he used for the darts iirc. Investigators could not figure out how he could have used that gun.

DING ding - Barry handed it off willingly - so crafty ...a gun he said shoots darts but doesn't. Well gosh he said it was the gun (eye roll). That gun is long gone bc we know know he likely used it to shoot her up with BAM. Maybe she grabbed at the gun and BM was afraid her prints would be found on it - or whatever.

The important thing is we know he had a gun at Puma Path that was capable of shooting those darts bc he told us he used the BAM around the end of April at Puma Path.

Would I love to have the gun ( as well as a lot of things he threw away on the way to Broomfield and at Broomfield) ?
Sure , but I don't really find it necessary. I think you can also find people who saw a gun like that at his house - George in particular comes to mind with the 400 tours.

JMO

I think the illegal, sawed off gun was BM's "chipmunk" gun. From the AA, J Gusing initially believed the darts could be shot from a .22 but I believe by the preliminary, he learned this was incorrect. In other words, that left investigators with the broken dart gun. But I don't know when it was broken-- maybe it worked when he shot deer from the breezeway. JMO

ETA: From AA, pg 83

1714584218459.png

Last edited:
The DNA found on the Range Rover glovebox was a degraded sample of touch DNA. It had so few markers that it had to be manually uploaded to CODIS. It connected with a few different cases in different states, involving different criminals. So this DNA had so few markers that it came back to multiple different people. That's ignoring the fact that the vehicle has absolutely no relevance in any scenario put forth by the defense or the prosecution.

No matching DNA was found anwhere inside the vehicle, and cash and credit cards were left there. This DNA was not found on the doorhandles, or anywhere other than the glovebox. It also didn't match DNA on her helmet or bicycle.

According to prosecution court filings in April of 22, every one of the potential leads was followed up on after the preliminary hearing, and all of them were eliminated thanks to the respective law enforcement agencies involved with those cases.

One of those cases was incorrectly flagged as being unsolved (Phoenix). It was from a robbery case (if I recall), decades prior.

The Chicago lead was unfounded as a prostitute had falsely reported a sexual assault. The DNA actually belonged to her significant other.

I don’t feel like digging up the third case but that one was ruled out as well.

The fact that this DNA came back to multiple different people in different states, tells you all you need to know about the quality of this DNA. People are getting "Irised" with this one, as she made it sound like there's some serial sex offender running around, which is absolutely false. It's the most blatant and damaging lie she has told, and it has everyone who hasn't followed this case closely, fooled.

I have this gem saved in my notes:
Even without further investigation by CBI, the evidence of the CODIS matches should be excluded. The unknown DNA found on the glove compartment was not found anywhere else in the victim's SUV. That means, the person who left their DNA in the Range Rover would have had to somehow enter the SUV in the Morphew garage, without touching anything other than the glove compartment.

Further, if they had abducted Suzanne, as the defense contends, they would have done that while leaving no other DNA and leaving Suzanne's wallet with cash and credit cards on the passenger seat of the vehicle.

And, if, as the defense contends, this person who abducted the victim and left her cash and credit cards then somehow took her bicycle and helmet out of the car and staged them at various points without leaving any of their DNA, while also contending with Suzanne, who would understandably have resisted any kidnapping.

Setting aside the sheer insanity of any one of the three CODIS matches being the person who abducted and murdered Suzanne Morphew CBI has shown that none of these suspects would have been in her Range Rover.

Brilliantly explained.

Also, the glove compartment of a modern RR (and many if not most current cars) contains the port for the cabin air filter, which would be a usual part of any annual / semi-annual service, and the glove itself would be a routine part of any auto detail service.

No idea if tightwad Barry would have paid for either service, but it's one of the parts of any car that I suspect would be likely to hold stranger DNA, after the steering wheel, cabin controls and gas cap, IMO.

But it's the reddest of red herrings and with this new evidence of homicide and BAM found and identified as likely causation I doubt we ever hear about the Mysterious Glovebox Miscreant again.

Last edited:
Yes, they most assuredly are. And only they themselves, with a shared love of an absentee mother, can present the best chance to rise above and beyond victimhood.That is, in my very humble opinion, but fervent wish.

Mallory and Macy may have anger, outrage, betrayal and loathing as adjuncts in their stages of mourning. They should sooner, (far, far better than later imo), realize that shunning a shared fateful biological antecedent, eg."father", in effect honors their abidingly selfless mother...that "miracle mom"... who perished attempting to rescue them from a future more forsaken than had been her own too soon to be concluded past. Each sister will need to ensure and be confident, leaning on one another and amongst their own families to come, that Mom shall witness, with pride and boundless joy, her girls' strength, resolve and fulfillment as they move ahead in life.

I’ve kept up loosely with Leticia Stauch’s daughter, Harley. LS is serving lwop for murdering her 11 yr old stepson Gannon Stauch in Colorado Springs. LS’s daughter was raised by her killer mom, but has risen above the horrid tragedy her mother brought into her life. To see Harley thriving and succeeding gives me hope Suzanne’s daughters can rise above what their father has done. It’ll take a lot of strength on their part, but I do hope they become the adults Suzanne would be proud of. MOO

Shelly Mac McCollum knows whatsup !
The GMA episode was certainly "telling"
JMO
Everything B.M. does, including having his daughters hold his hands, is so off-putting.
The actions he takes to make himself look like he has support -- does exactly the opposite !
Manipulative and controlling to the max.
If you have to get people to appear loyal to your cause, it often backfires.
Imo.
Omo.

Here we go! He had the chemicals. He admitted to having a gun. They found the cap in the dyer. She had those drugs in her system. Zero surprises about the chemicals. Remember the reward money with a time limit!!??

The picture of them on a beach vacation. That photo makes me sad. Beautiful, photogenic family. Living the life. Financially secure. And Suzanne ends up with a cold blooded murderer. How many wives does that happen to? When did it start, his behavior? What should she have done? If she’d left, would he have still have pursued her and murdered her? She deserved better.

Brilliantly explained.

Also, the glove compartment of a modern RR (and many if not most current cars) contains the port for the cabin air filter, which would be a usual part of any annual / semi-annual service, and the glove itself would be a routine part of any auto detail service.

No idea of tightwad Barry would have paid for either service, but it's one of the parts of any car that I suspect would be likely to hold stranger DNA, after the steering wheel, cabin controls and gas cap, IMO.
Yup, there are plenty of innocent explanations for that DNA. Touch DNA is everywhere, and testing is incredibly sensitive. We can shake hands, I touch an object, and that object implicates you, or even a person that you had touched before we shook hands.

There is no case right now, so they're not entitled to things that are evidence, and not typically included in an autopsy report. It's not like there's ongoing discovery at this stage, so there's plenty that they don't have.
I do hope Barry is having sleepless nights working out what else they might have .found

I can't wait till he's charged ,LE are going to have such a tight case once they do charge him, I hope Andy and his siblings get justice for Suzanne .I hope we don't have to wait to long. Jmoo

Significantly shortened by me:

I have this gem saved in my notes:
Even without further investigation by CBI, the evidence of the CODIS matches should be excluded. The unknown DNA found on the glove compartment was not found anywhere else in the victim's SUV. That means, the person who left their DNA in the Range Rover would have had to somehow enter the SUV in the Morphew garage, without touching anything other than the glove compartment.

Further, if they had abducted Suzanne, as the defense contends, they would have done that while leaving no other DNA and leaving Suzanne's wallet with cash and credit cards on the passenger seat of the vehicle.

And, if, as the defense contends, this person who abducted the victim and left her cash and credit cards then somehow took her bicycle and helmet out of the car and staged them at various points without leaving any of their DNA, while also contending with Suzanne, who would understandably have resisted any kidnapping.

Setting aside the sheer insanity of any one of the three CODIS matches being the person who abducted and murdered Suzanne Morphew CBI has shown that none of these suspects would have been in her Range Rover.
And now we know the alleged abductors found Barry's stash of animal tranquilizers, the needle, planted a sheath, did the laundry, learned how to administer the drugs and used them to murder his poor wife, also without leaving any other trace anywhere.

@MassGuy said that it was reported that BM did not pick up SM’s remains at the advisement of IE as he may still be regarded as a suspect, they don’t know. Now if the coroners office offers the remains to Suzanne’s family (sister/brothers) what would happen if they interred her remains and then BM is subsequently arrested? Could IE ask that the remains be exhumed for their own testing? How awful would that be??? :(. Just wondering.
I would assume the answer to that is yes.

I think the illegal, sawed off gun was BM's "chipmunk" gun. From the AA, J Gusing initially believed the darts could be shot from a .22 but I believe by the preliminary, he learned this was incorrect. In other words, that left investigators with the broken dart gun. But I don't know when it was broken-- maybe it worked when he shot deer from the breezeway. JMO

ETA: From AA, pg 83

View attachment 500709
If I recall they also said there was no evidence the broken gun that could fire the darts had been fired "recently".

It’s interesting, because Iris allegedly told him to do this. I think her logic is that they’re going to want to do their own testing down the road, once Barry is charged with murder.

Of course the Moorman’s won’t do this, as they’re too classy, but I’ll tell you what I would do. I’d turn this into a public relations disaster for Barry, hammering him in the media for refusing to give Suzanne a proper burial.
When BM was first charged with murder, I believe MM rightfully (next of kin) became the GAU for SM in the Indiana Court.

If one does not believe BM responsible for SM's death, there's no reason NOT to collect the remains of a loved one.

The prosecution obtained what they needed from the remains for future prosecution, and legally surrendered the remainder to next of kin.

IMO, rejecting the remains SCREAMS consciousness of guilt!

I agree that the Moormons (SM's siblings) have every good reason needed to attack BM publicly and privately for leaving SM on the shelf!

Dealing with my own recent loss (where the killer has not been identified and/or apprehended), I can't fathom refusing to accept the remains that were legally released from custody. And not a single lawyer suggested otherwise. MOO :eek:

If I recall they also said there was no evidence the broken gun that could fire the darts had been fired "recently".
It appears BM gave LE a non working gun -

With all of BM's experience handling and administering the tranq materials its more than likely he had more than one gun to handle the procedure. He may even have gotten rid of the gun, if he indeed used a gun and did not manually jab his beloved wife with the tranq.
See the AA page 119 of 129
paraphasing -
-Barry hates that they found the sheath in the dryer "bc you know, that makes me look bad" I LOVE THIS ONE BC WHY WOULD THIS MAKE HIM LOOK BAD /HIS BELOVED DEAD WIFE HAD NOT BEEN FOUND LOADED UP WITH TRANQ YET
-Barry said he used BAM Telazol and Xylazine as tranq's. He brought the chemicals from Indiana and kept them on his workbench in the garage.
- Barry kept the chemicals in vials and injected chemicals into darts without a licensed vet. When asked if he did that all by himself he said " Yeah, absolutely"
- BM was asked by LE if those materials might have been cleaned off the workbench before he went to Broomfield - per BM "Could've been"

So interesting IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member