Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #113

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the possibility of Barry removing the trail cams before he went went inside, it feels like he was a hunter after his prey. He made the decision, went in and chased Suzanne down and darted her. Did he kill her right away, or was she lying unconscious in the house for a long period of time while he did prep work for disposing the mother of his children? I wonder if Suzanne’s underwear was found. It would tell me whether they were “biking clothes”.

I think BM removed the trail cams and looked for the dead turkey allegedly killed by MM before he left to get the blade changed.

Seemed to me that it was after the blade change, and SM ignoring his calls, when he came in, loaded for bear (with BAM) and took his wife down. JMO

Correct. Barry said that they had soup together, but the soup was a couple days before.

Suzanne had said to Jeff she was alone at the time, and there was no evidence he entered the house (phone and truck data).

He also called Suzanne right as he left, which doesn’t make sense because they had supposedly just spent a couple hours together.

The prosecution believed he was taking down cameras, but I think he was spying on Suzanne as well.
I remember this was his "turkey looking" expedition according to him..

But I didn't realize he traveled so far from the house. I imagined when he was roaming the property he was up near the house watching her, but it looks like he walked away quite a distance.

In my mind I think staging something over there or something like that so his middle of the night trip was easier.

Okay someone check out page 120 of the AA PDF. I somehow missed this before. The map has the phone locations when he was home for lunch. I remember at 11:40 something.. Suzanne messaged Jeff guess who is alone again. But she wasn't.. he was home. outside and look at that phone ping way over to the right. It appears a road is sorta going over to that location too. Did he walk through the woods and get something or do something over there? Is there a house over there?

11:52 he's in the back of the house
12:22 he's nearly a quarter mile back away from the house to the right
12:34 he's back at the house or close to it.

I missed this map showing the times and his phone pings. Interesting.
Good refresher.

Two hours!

LE must have more data points than just those... butwhat was he doing? It was intentional.

MG said he was harried (my word) at the beach site, was looking at his cams. Cut the morning off short, didn't even leave MG there to finish up, must have needed a ride to her vehicle. Races home, does not pull up to the apron of the garage, stops short.

I think we've got Suzanne in her bikini on the brown towel sunbathing in back while communicating with JL. Barry circles wide. Didn't LE theorize that he dumped a camo jacket? The perfect cover for his undercover op. So why didn't he tranq her then? Couldn't get close enough? Missed? Suzanne heard something but dismissed it, as sounds of the woods?

Was it during those two hours that he developed a new strategy? Wanted something Backhoe Jim had but wanted to make sure he wasn't on site?

His blood now on full boil?

Two hours. That is a really long time. Some airplane mode? None? How many calls/texts did he receive/read/reply to during that span of hours? What was he doing at the far end? Making phone calls, purposefully out of earshot? It is so creepy, intrusive, possessive, obsessive to be hunting his own wife like that. And she was so utterly unaware...

He returned the second time with a vengeance. She was incapacitated within minutes, it seems.

And from that moment onward, he was just reacting.

JMO

I think BM removed the trail cams and looked for the dead turkey allegedly killed by MM before he left to get the blade changed.

Seemed to me that it was after the blade change, and SM ignoring his calls, when he came in, loaded for bear (with BAM) and took his wife down. JMO
I guess we will never really understand a guy like Barry, but it seems many of his actions had reasons so I do try to figure out why or what he was thinking when he did certain things.

WHY would he NEED to go do this blade change thing out of the blue that day at that time knowing he was just home removing cameras and then he was going to leave and then come back and kill her. This is where I think it must have had some specific purpose because he thought enough to do it last minute (this wasn't a pre planned thing set up weeks ago) after he roamed the property and before he killed Suzanne. So WHAT did he NEED to go do that right then for?

Edited because Megnut and I were posting at the same time!

EXACTLY.. WHY.. why did he need to go on that errand when he was home and could kill her then? He left and came back, but then didn't use the bobcat and it didn't seem to have any significance in the investigation that we know of. So did his plan not work out or did he change it or was it just something else random Barry did?

I guess we will never really understand a guy like Barry, but it seems many of his actions had reasons so I do try to figure out why or what he was thinking when he did certain things.

WHY would he NEED to go do this blade change thing out of the blue that day at that time knowing he was just home removing cameras and then he was going to leave and then come back and kill her. This is where I think it must have had some specific purpose because he thought enough to do it last minute (this wasn't a pre planned thing set up weeks ago) after he roamed the property and before he killed Suzanne. So WHAT did he NEED to go do that right then for?

EXACTLY.. WHY.. why did he need to go on that errand when he was home and could kill her then? He left and came back, but then didn't use the bobcat and it didn't seem to have any significance in the investigation that we know of. So did his plan not work out or did he change it or was it just something else random Barry did?
What might he have borrowed from the blade business? I think he was in search of a SIM card. He knows how to change blades. He could have canceled.

$64,000 question -- where had Barry been sleeping those last nights, weeks, months?

I think that's why she was changing the sheets. It was MM1's bed/room/bedding, not Barry's and she wanted to reclaim it as such. I would.

Jmo
I don't have links ( I will look) so its just my recollection from four years ago - and its really neither here nor there but :
-IIRC BM had indicated that prob Suz was changing the sheets in Mals room bc Mal and her friend would prob sleep in that bed on the way back from their trip
-I also have a recollection that someone maybe Myles said or Macy, that the intent never was for the girls to be back that Mothers Day night - they were not running late as BM said - it was never the plan
JMO

Okay someone check out page 120 of the AA PDF. I somehow missed this before. The map has the phone locations when he was home for lunch. I remember at 11:40 something.. Suzanne messaged Jeff guess who is alone again. But she wasn't.. he was home. outside and look at that phone ping way over to the right. It appears a road is sorta going over to that location too. Did he walk through the woods and get something or do something over there? Is there a house over there?

11:52 he's in the back of the house
12:22 he's nearly a quarter mile back away from the house to the right
12:34 he's back at the house or close to it.

I missed this map showing the times and his phone pings. Interesting.
I think that period of time was when some speculated he was out collecting the deer cams. BM said he was looking for mals turkey shot quite a while before that lol JMO

I don't want to suggest anyone helped him knowingly and that is not my intent so I want to say that first.

If the neighbors that allowed him to stay at their house when he was out on bail had a vehicle sitting around?? I recall they did not live in that house, but used it as an air B&B and occasionally stayed there themselves. Did they have any vehicles there for maybe when they flew in to stay? I think I read that Barry might have helped mow for them or something like that. Maybe he had access to a vehicle that way? I also know his new girlfriend was associated with the area so did he have access in any way to a vehicle she might have owned? Again these people may not have even knew he used it, but if he had access or had ever used it, had a spare key or knew where one was, is it possible he used one of those?
I’m starting by saying I’m not implying anyone helped Beary, but it wouldn’t surprise me, especially with a vehicle. His new gf was a housekeeper for one of Beary’s neighbors, iirc. I think she & BM previously met at the neighborhood trash dump. She’s the same one later seen wearing Suzanne’s jewelry. She could have been in the area at the time. She offered CBI a tip of a “strange car” seen in the area the day SM was reported missing. I’ve just found it all very coincidental, I don’t like coincidences. MOO

Last edited:

Possibly real reason was connecting with someone in person.

This struck me as I read the autopsy report. A hoodie? She was laying out in a bikini I believe when he attacked her. It was gut wrenching to consider that he stripped her and re-dressed her for the “bike ride” he manufactured. Was she aware at that point? Did tranquilizer kill her? Did he pour the tranquilizer into her port? Why do I imagine him belittling her as he set the scene, telling her it was her fault because she had not been a good wife. I pray he is convicted and they send him to the worst place imaginable - hell.
If he was going to dress Suzanne for a bike ride, why not dress her in the matchy matchy baby blues?

I think this was two fold: first, BM wanted an alibi where several could say they saw him in town on Saturday afternoon-- appearing his normal self (when police would later say SM was murdered), and second, Crib called him and told him he could do the blade after lunch.

This would be important to BM because the Bobcat was more important than his wife-- and also his money maker. I do think he was aware from the beach work on Friday night that the edge change was over due, and why he had MG raking by hand on Saturday.

And the same could be said for BM allegedly stopping by Salida Stove & Spa on Saturday albeit the owner claimed he was there after 4 pm, but more likely BM was their earlier since they are business neighbors to DSI. JMO

Iirc Morgan stated in an interview that BM was acting weird on Saturday morning at the beach site. She went on to state that after he called her on Sunday morning last minute to get the work crew together she hung up and thought he’d just had the worst night of his life. I’ll see if I can find the link and post it.

Found it!
Snipped from link:

“He was acting really weird about [the beach area], I was like Barry what’s up,” Gentile said. “He seemed stressed. He definitely seemed weird on Saturday.”

“Last minute he changed everything. In fact, he called me that Sunday – Mother’s Day – and was really frantic, really didn’t sound like himself,” Gentile said. “I hung up the phone and I thought he just had the worst night of his life.”

IMHOO

#JusticeForSuzanne

ETA-link
Perhaps he was weird on the Saturday because he found out about the affair or at least had something solid to go on, OR he was stressed about Suzanne finding out about the friends requests he made. IMO something was brewing in his brain, but that brain had not yet exploded.

I don’t have the AA in front of me but iirc
when investigators questioned BM about what he was doing during that timeframe, he said he was looking for a turkey his daughter M1 had previously shot (lol),
and LE theorized this is when he possibly took his trail cameras down.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, I’m on my mobile device multitasking while working lol, and don’t have time atm to search the AA.
I believe this might have been brought up during the Preliminary Hearings as well.

IMHOO

#JusticeForSuzanne
That’s absolutely correct. Pg 111 and 118 of the AA Barry refers to the turkey!

Yes, he is always infantilizing Suzanne as if she had the mentality of a silly teenager, rather than the mother of two children and a woman who survived a recurrent cancer and long periods of chemotherapy and/or radiation.

My feeling is that he never gives her credit as being an adult and certainly never considers her his equal partner in life.
Yes! Very well stated.

I would love nothing more than to see him cuffed and dragged out of the calculated, phony “Celebration of Life” press event.

With the possibility of Barry removing the trail cams before he went went inside, it feels like he was a hunter after his prey. He made the decision, went in and chased Suzanne down and darted her. Did he kill her right away, or was she lying unconscious in the house for a long period of time while he did prep work for disposing the mother of his children? I wonder if Suzanne’s underwear was found. It would tell me whether they were “biking clothes”.
Her underwear wouldn't tell you anything.
Only a bra was located and nothing to suggest she had been wearing it at the time..

I imagine she was lying unconscious and sustained a prolonged vicious and terrifying attack both physically and psychologically . This because no cadaverine located in house or environs..

This is the truck data.

I might be missing something. I was reading the tweets from the preliminary hearing that were posted earlier in this thread. It mentions Barry's phone heading toward the location of where her bike was found and then it says his phone was back at the house at 4:31am.

His truck doesn't move though. What vehicle did he use to drive and dump the bike? Maybe the same one he used to dump her body?
I was thinking Suzanne’s RR. But I’ve met a stumbling block. According to the AA they used Suzanne’s RR to go get Pizza on the Friday night, but if you look at the photos of the RR the front passenger seat has her stuff in it including the camelbak, so it doesn’t make sense that they used the RR for the pizza run as the stuff on the passenger seat would be elsewhere.

IIRC, Suzanne used to transport the bike by car to where she wanted to start her ride, so why bother taking the bike in and out of the car in a daily basis? Or did she sometimes ride straight from home? Where did she ride on the Friday?

Exactly @justrush!

These are my personal notes of Grusing's testimony at the prelim (where he parrots in CAST)

1. Telematics of truck in driveway 3.25am-3.52am. Both phones at home. i.e. triple corroboration.

2. 3.58-4.07 Grusing plots BMs phone away from home. It moves straight to the intersection of 225/50 near where bike is found.

3. SMs phone last registers signals quite a way from the home in an arc as if it was struggling to get a good connection. This is around 4.10. Last one around 4.22.

4. 4.31am - BM's phone is back home, in airplane mode

As you point out, both phones appear to be away from home, but the truck is in the driveway. SMs phone never reappears at home - even though the network positioned it there all day

Above is my opinion only.
Perhaps he rode the bike to the discard site and walked back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodfish