Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #113

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he was a suspect and he was arrested and brought to court. So at some point in time he was not only a POI, but a criminal defendant. The case was dismissed without prejudice (meaning it can be refiled).

Was there actually a retraction of the fact that Barry was arrested and clearly the only arrested suspect in this case?

The State reserved its right to file against him, again. To me, that makes him at least a POI.

IMO.
LE often do not publicly state someone is a POI so that some pundit doesn't try to convict them in the court of public opinion.

JMO

OK, hope this upright image of Exhibit easier to reference.

View attachment 502630
This photo shows a small strike plate area, where the lock bolt engages the door frame. This is a classic failure when a door with a wood frame is forced open. The wood cracks at the area where the maximum force is applied, and there isn't enough material to resist the force.

This kind of strike is found on interior residential door frames, and has no resistance to forced entry. It's a low budget item. This kind of latch arrangement is designed for privacy only. The door might not have been damaged, depending on where the pressure was applied - the frame and strike will fail first. Even though the door was probably a lightweight hollow core door, these doors are reinforced with solid wood where locksets and hinges are installed. Interior wood door frames are thin material, and they will fail first.

This is not the hinge side of a door frame, otherwise we would probably see mortised depressions for setting hinges, screw holes, and a lot more cracking.

This was not a double door, because double doors latch where they meet, and not on the frame.

These small strikes were popular in the 70s and 80s - I lived in a place where the interior doors all had small strikes like this. They are still made today.

Last edited:
I imagine there was renewed zest in the investigation when Suzanne's remains were found and much disappointment in the dismissal of charges (without prejudice) at the time, but I'm certain the sheriff's position has been steadfast.

He said this back then, that he is

"'disappointed in the delay' but remains committed to the investigation and the ultimate prosecution of Barry Morphew".

With all the parlance, I'm sure, of presumed innocent until...

But Suspect #1. On a really short list. And by 'short list', I mean he is the list.

Barry did such a thorough job of poor planning and worse staging that all arrows point in only one direction. If arrows were chipmunks, all 85 would point their noses at him and encircle him.

JMO

From the quoted link, I don't think the feeling of the investigators could be clearer:

While we are disappointed in the delay of the proceedings, we remain unwavering in our commitment to this investigation and the ultimate prosecution of Mr. Morphew. I stand behind the strong work of the investigators within the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and the many law enforcement agencies involved and the strong case we have built. Above all else, we remain dedicated to seeking justice for Suzanne and her family.”

BBM
That would be the best advise I could give someone leaving an abusive relationship.
Do NOT say a word, make your plans and leave while they are gone.

Then have a great support group at your new place, knowing that as soon as they get home, they will "hunt" you down.

JMO -from experience
Sorry for your experience. Yes, putting as many barriers in as possible. But we know that even that is not enough sometimes.

From the quoted link, I don't think the feeling of the investigators could be clearer:

While we are disappointed in the delay of the proceedings, we remain unwavering in our commitment to this investigation and the ultimate prosecution of Mr. Morphew. I stand behind the strong work of the investigators within the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and the many law enforcement agencies involved and the strong case we have built. Above all else, we remain dedicated to seeking justice for Suzanne and her family.”
I notice in this statement he cites the strong work of law enforcement, perhaps an oversight to not include the district attonreys office. Ironic though, since LS was Spezze's choice to support for DA, as I believe Turner had told him the case was not ready and it caused a rift.

You know who has animal tranquilizers? The CO Parks and Wildlife Commission, but protocol is to not use it, per attached article. I am willing to bet that firefighters also have access to it, for use in emergencies when a bear is in a homeowner yard, or a deer is stuck and wreaking havoc during an accident or rescue. And guess who was a firefighter? Yep, good ‘ol Barry.

jmo
That reminds me, I saw a video of a big black loud truck pull up late at night to the firehouse and some nefarious video something about handing off a gun late at night, but audio was so bad I quit watching, Wondered where those disappeared to.

Upon looking better, Henthorn is serving his sentence in Terre Haute Federal Prison.. I was mistaken on him being from Indiana. I was googling to try to remember what case it was and when I saw his name I knew it was the one, but it said he was serving his sentence in Indiana and I assumed. So likely the national park murder got him the federal prison sentence?
Terra Haute is notorius for putting you to sleep. They executed Timothy Mcvey there. They have an express lane. On the hyway through there they have signs saying do not pick up hitch hikers. They house some of the biggest players.

Please excuse my ignorance about this case, but why didn’t JL help with the investigation? Was it because he didn’t want the affair revealed to anyone close to him?
Yes. He was married with a bunch of kids. He was messaging with Suzanne the day she was murdered, and messaged her again on Mother's Day (obviously unanswered). He eventually saw the news of her disappearance, and took measures to make sure he wouldn't be discovered. It took the FBI six months to figure out who he was, which eventually unearthed the LinkedIn communications that shored up the murder timeline.

So to save his marriage and himself from embarrassment, he basically impeded a murder investigation. I understand his motivations, but it's frustrating nonetheless. I do not believe he did think Suzanne had been abducted, but claiming so would make him look better (the affair would be totally irrelevant).

IMG_7527.jpeg

Last edited:
He is a free person legally currently so yes can leave the country. No one is holding his passport I presume and if it were due for renewal I don’t believe currently the government could refuse.
If he showed up at the airport for an international flight, there’s a good chance LE would be waiting at the gate to talk to him.

If he showed up at the airport for an international flight, there’s a good chance LE would be waiting at the gate to talk to him.
I don’t know about that. I suppose they could try to talk to him as he moves to TSA but until they arrest him and charge him he has the same rights as you and I.

I don’t know about that. I suppose they could try to talk to him as he moves to TSA but until they arrest him and charge him he has the same rights as you and I.
No worries. If LE isn’t prepared to arrest him at the airport, they can bring in the US Marshals to go get him later. They are good. Really good. They tracked down Kaitlin Armstrong in Costa Rica. They will find Barry when they are ready.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member