Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to look at the facts. What do the facts speak to? If you think Suzanne was abducted, you are more than entitled to your opinion. But how would she be abducted? By whom? At what time? Statistically, with everything that we know, what are the odds that Suzanne’s disappearance was caused by a stranger/friend, and how did they leave behind zero evidence? It’s okay to have a feeling that Barry didn’t do it, but you cannot dispute the information that has been laid out in this case, and the way that LE is proceeding. Everybody play nice.

Good to have your contribution here @Rush4087.
WS TOS prevents us from discussing /sleuthing BM's business except what's reported by MSM so this does impede our viewing his portfolio and idea of his equipment etc. On July 10, Fox21 LS Live reported her contact with BM's best friend, T. Skinner, who provided that BM engaged in commercial construction landscaping, and he was familiar with BM's project history in the Denver Metro area. He also stated he was not surprised to learn that BM was prepping a job in Denver on May 10. (BM allegedly departed for Denver 5 am and did not return to Salida until around 9 pm).

Relative to the searched residential building site in Salida, I do not believe the timeline of SM missing on May 10 supports authorities searching for SM's body at this location. I think they had reason to believe BM destroyed and/or hid evidence at the site, but not the body. I don't think they needed to dig deeper for this reason.

According to building records discussed on Profiling Evil, footings, foundation, and foundation drainage were all signed off by the County Inspector before the end of April, and sewer and water lines on May 1. Reportedly, the insulated slab on grade foundation was poured on May 11. Other than reports that BM was contracted by the owner to do some dirt work at the site, we have no information when BM was present or what work he actually performed.

MOO

It would be illogical to assume that BM did landscaping dirt work at the beginning of the construction project, as his work would be destroyed by the movements of construction and delivery vehicles. Also, it would seem that prior to performing his work, he would have been required to get a Road and Bridge Permit, which would be abbreviated on the Chaffee County Building Department Permit Database as a "Driveway" permit.
My own guess is that, if he was contracted to do any work at that site, he was not expected to be on site until much later. Whether or not he had actually done any contract work at that site would seemingly not have been a factor in LE's decision to search it. IMO

Road and Bridge Permits

Building Department Permit Search Home
Note: to use this link, you must agree to the terms and conditions twice, then search for
Permit Number:
or Address:
6962 COUNTY ROAD 105

Last edited:
I feel that BM is responsible for the disappearing of his wife SM. I can’t buy into any stranger abduction theory. However, there may be some crazy web or chain of events involving BM but not necessarily making him guilty of murder. Don’t ask me what that crazy theory is, because I don’t know.

MOO

My take on the construction site: Jmo

I've been a project mgmt consultant now for 40 years. My clients are developers, owners, and GC's on large commercial construction projects located all over the country.

In commercial work, there are Site Work / Utility contractors, and then there are Landscape contractors. A Site Work /Utility contractor is the first sub on site. They handle mass excavation and grading, stripping topsoil, cut and fill, haul off /haul in, detention pond construction, entrance Rd construction, and undg untilities (storm, sanitary, & water, - less often gas or power). Sometime they are even responsible for the initial tree clearing and grinding (or they'll maybe sub that work to another sub)

Landscape contractors on the other hand do fine grading. They create berms. They smooth things out. They are just about the last subcontractor on the site. For the most part, they plant trees, shrubs, and sod, and work together with separate landscape lighting (LV) and irrigation crews. This work generally happens after the curb/gutter and sidewalks have been put place.

From what I can tell online, BM's company was definitely a landscape company, and not a site work /utility company. That said, unless he was real small time, he certainly would've had equipment capable of doing small to medium size (residential size) excavation and fill projects (i.e. excavation for a basement walls, foundation walls, deep piers, and pad grading), but not large site clearing, mass excavation/grading and utilities. For that you'd need mass excavators, big scrapers, dozers, loaders, and tons of trucks

The size of project a given contractor could handle would pretty much depend on how much and what size equipment the company owned or leased (that and how much they could bond)

I do think it's conceivable that BM could have done some "site work / utility" type of work on that residential project (where he was maybe contracted to later do landscaping). Excavation and fill at this early stage (especially for deep fdtns, basement walls, fdtn walls, below- grade piers, etc.,) of a residential project can still be pretty deep, maybe as deep as 10-12 feet.

If he buried something very deep, he likely covered the object with something before backfilling on top of it. This could potentially make the buried object very difficult to find (say, under a board or heavy plastic, covered by 12' of compacted dirt). This foundation or foundation wall backfill work would've happened WAY before any under-slab plumbing, under-slab or in-slab elect rough-in, mesh, and moisture barrier type inspections which typically happen just prior to a slab-on-grade placement/pour (all those things are in the sub grade).

I don't remember a lot from the several videos and stills of the investigation at the construction site that I saw, but it seemed to me that even in the areas where LE saw-cut the slab-on-grade, investigators weren't ever looking deep (at least not very deep). In fact, they were digging shallow, and even sifting. I never understood that.

Idk what ground penetrating radar can pick up (how deep and what materials and densities it can possibly see through), or how it was used (or even if one was used) at that residential construction site. I just remember thinking, "You're not looking deep enough. She would be deep, not right below the slab, not in the sub grade"

I mention this because I think this case will be nearly impossible to prosecute w/o a body, which is why (IMO) the investigation is (and will continue to be) stuck in purgatory.

I think that the residential site is still a very logical place for LE to look for SM's remains. They just need to look deeper. If they do not look there again - because they think they've already looked there once - I think they may never find SM, and never solve this case. Jmo

Nice post, I agree.

If he were to bury something, wouldn't he have had to have done it several days prior to the pour? Not sure he would have been able to get his compaction passed if he spent 30 minutes during the night burying something? If it was buried deep then in my eyes that would be much more difficult (& noticeable) with a pour a day or two later, possibly if back filled with aggregate.

In my opinion; I have this thought the dig was a witch hunt. There are a lot of things that could have had last minute excavation on. The late night equipment use could have been something as simple as he needed that equipment in Denver and knew he had to use it quickly at that job. Being a small time operator he could have just needed to wrap up something and get the equipment loaded for the next job, because that was the only piece of equipment he had.

In my day, I would make sure family time was had then I had a few late night job site checks, but mostly after everyone was snoring, I was in the office catching up.

This was a slab pour, as you know there is a lot of activity on that grade right before pouring, IMO it would have been pretty tough to bury something a couple of days prior and not have it noticed, fresh gravel would red flag an inspector, or at least have him inspect/ask. There are guys double checking everything(plumbing/electrical/drainage/forms/etc.) and walking all around up until the pour. Especially if its a Monday or Tuesday pour with signs of a fresh gravel area /compaction(excavation) that appeared over the weekend without any prior notice.

I've been checking to see if anything new has been filed prior to the Guardianship hearing - nothing except the Inventory. Now I do wonder if that inventory includes just the property located in IN or is it a full inventory to include CO/bank accounts/retirement accounts/property, etc?
06/05/2020
Order Granting Temporary Guardianship
Judge CASATI,MICHAEL
Order Signed:
06/05/2020
06/05/2020
Letters of Guardianship Issued
Temporary Adult Guardianship
File Stamp:
06/05/2020
06/05/2020
Order Issued
Order Setting Videoconference Hearing entered. The Court schedules a hearing to be conducted as a Microsoft Teams Videoconference Hearing on Sept. 1, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. ew
Judicial Officer:
Casati, Michael A.
Noticed:
Hoeller, Mary Jane
Order Signed:
06/05/2020
06/06/2020
Automated Paper Notice Issued to Parties
Order Granting Temporary Guardianship ---- 6/5/2020 : Suzanne R Morphew Letters of Guardianship Issued ---- 6/5/2020 : Suzanne R Morphew
06/06/2020
Automated ENotice Issued to Parties
Order Issued ---- 6/5/2020 : Mary Jane Hoeller Order Granting Temporary Guardianship ---- 6/5/2020 : Mary Jane Hoeller Letters of Guardianship Issued ---- 6/5/2020 : Mary Jane Hoeller Order Issued ---- 6/5/2020 : Mary Jane Hoeller
07/07/2020
Notice to Court Filed
Notice of Filing of Inventory filed. ss
Filed By:
Morphew, Barry L
File Stamp:
07/06/2020
07/07/2020
Inventory Filed
Inventory filed. ss
Party:
Morphew, Barry L
File Stamp:
07/06/2020
09/01/2020
Hearing on Petition to Establish Guardianship
Session:
09/01/2020 10:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Casati, Michael A.
Comment:
345-MAC-permanent (by video, 30 minutes)
----------------snipped_________
Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase
Note - the link may show case number expired so you have to go back and re-enter the name.

So here is a theory on why LE could have been so quick to disregard the bike set up.

What if SM’s best friend, whom she was communicating with on 5/9 and then went silent, notified the police earlier in the day of 5/10. Something like:

-SM & best friend are communicating
-SM goes silent all of a sudden
-Best friend keeps trying to reach her the evening of 5/9 and can’t
-Best friend keeps trying to reach her the morning of 5/10 and can’t.
-Best friend tries to reach SM’s daughters but can’t since they are camping in ID and don’t have good reception
-Best friend tries BM but he’s not answering because “he is in Denver prepping a job” **cough, cough**
-Best friend calls LE and says she’s concerned for SM (say this happens mid day or early afternoon)
-LE says, ‘thanks for calling. It hasn’t even been 24 hours yet. Give it a little more time.’

Then everything else happens later in 5/10 as we know it.

Certainly very plausible.

Or maybe she spoke to the daughters on MD and told them she’d been trying to get in touch with SM since the previous evening. The daughters told the police and that’s why they were suspicious of BM’s story so soon. JMO

So here is a theory on why LE could have been so quick to disregard the bike set up.

What if SM’s best friend, whom she was communicating with on 5/9 and then went silent, notified the police earlier in the day of 5/10. Something like:

-SM & best friend are communicating
-SM goes silent all of a sudden
-Best friend keeps trying to reach her the evening of 5/9 and can’t
-Best friend keeps trying to reach her the morning of 5/10 and can’t.
-Best friend tries to reach SM’s daughters but can’t since they are camping in ID and don’t have good reception
-Best friend tries BM but he’s not answering because “he is in Denver prepping a job” **cough, cough**
-Best friend calls LE and says she’s concerned for SM (say this happens mid day or early afternoon)
-LE says, ‘thanks for calling. It hasn’t even been 24 hours yet. Give it a little more time.’

Then everything else happens later in 5/10 as we know it.

Certainly very plausible.

Or maybe she spoke to the daughters on MD and told them she’d been trying to get in touch with SM since the previous evening. The daughters told the police and that’s why they were suspicious of BM’s story so soon. JMO

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I’ve said this before, but news reports say that Salida was inundated with flyers in May. Every window and light pole, said reporter Marc Sallinger. MOO, these were put up by friends, family and volunteers, and I’m sure that most of them are still up. So fast forward to August 10th. BBM. If SM never saw the light of day alive after that 5 pm abrupt texting halt (as some speculate), why the new and improved flyer? A flyer that finally has her description, a new photo from an unusual angle, and showing jewelry someone might recognize. I’m not buying into the “sending a message to someone“ theory. But that’s JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to have your contribution here @Rush4087.
WS TOS prevents us from discussing /sleuthing BM's business except what's reported by MSM so this does impede our viewing his portfolio and idea of his equipment etc. On July 10, Fox21 LS Live reported her contact with BM's best friend, T. Skinner, who provided that BM engaged in commercial construction landscaping, and he was familiar with BM's project history in the Denver Metro area. He also stated he was not surprised to learn that BM was prepping a job in Denver on May 10. (BM allegedly departed for Denver 5 am and did not return to Salida until around 9 pm).

Relative to the searched residential building site in Salida, I do not believe the timeline of SM missing on May 10 supports authorities searching for SM's body at this location. I think they had reason to believe BM destroyed and/or hid evidence at the site, but not the body. I don't think they needed to dig deeper for this reason.

According to building records discussed on Profiling Evil, footings, foundation, and foundation drainage were all signed off by the County Inspector before the end of April, and sewer and water lines on May 1. Reportedly, the insulated slab on grade foundation was poured on May 11. Other than reports that BM was contracted by the owner to do some dirt work at the site, we have no information when BM was present or what work he actually performed.

MOO

Thank you for this and prior posts, some new info I hadn't known. Evidence could have easily been buried without notice.

Again why couldn’t those flyers been handed out 3 months ago they could have all the collaboration they need.
I think the combo of family members speaking out along with new flyers are part of a strategy to put pressure on BM. Especially since the flyers have pictures of her with her wedding ring and necklace clearly visible. IMHO

It would be illogical to assume that BM did landscaping dirt work at the beginning of the construction project, as his work would be destroyed by the movements of construction and delivery vehicles. Also, it would seem that prior to performing his work, he would have been required to get a Road and Bridge Permit, which would be abbreviated on the Chaffee County Building Department Permit Database as a "Driveway" permit.
My own guess is that, if he was contracted to do any work at that site, he was not expected to be on site until much later. Whether or not he had actually done any contract work at that site would seemingly not have been a factor in LE's decision to search it. IMO

Road and Bridge Permits

Building Department Permit Search Home
Note: to use this link, you must agree to the terms and conditions twice, then search for
Permit Number:
or Address:
6962 COUNTY ROAD 105

In the area where the work was done there could be some weird or not so normal rules(Even by the HOA) in place that has a landscaper / hardscaper at a job site first. I could see them being there to put up retaining walls, putting up protection for forest or landscaped areas, retention ponds (temporary / permanent), drainage areas to protect the river, footings / piers for there later work, etc.

Not disagreeing, just some possible reasons why a landscaper / hardscaper would be at a job site first, outside of regular house construction activities.

Re: the local jobsite, where the SW was served. It appears that permits were pulled by a very good friend of BM’s. To that, perhaps BM was subbing in any capacity that he had equipment for, or could rent.

BM’s “business” of landscaping/hardscaping might have nothing to do with the actual work he and his crew conducted on the site. I know nothing about construction but I do know people that help a buddy out as long as they have the equipment to do so. It’s a way to earn a paycheck and maybe BM was changing careers in some way. Maybe he was thinking of becoming a GC and building a spec house on that piece of land he bought in his name only recently.

I think the combo of family members speaking out along with new flyers are part of a strategy to put pressure on BM. Especially since the flyers have pictures of her with her wedding ring and necklace clearly visible. IMHO
Yes, I'm wondering if the purpose is to appeal to the suspect's conscience. Those particular pieces of jewelry must have been cherished by Suzanne. I wonder if the necklace was an anniversary gift.

In the area where the work was done there could be some weird or not so normal rules(Even by the HOA) in place that has a landscaper / hardscaper at a job site first. I could see them being there to put up retaining walls, putting up protection for forest or landscaped areas, retention ponds (temporary / permanent), drainage areas to protect the river, footings / piers for there later work, etc.

Not disagreeing, just some possible reasons why a landscaper / hardscaper would be at a job site first, outside of regular house construction activities.
In a past thread someone pulled the permits.
IIRC BM was building up earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member