Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the owner of a house gives consent for LE to search, LE must get a search warrant to do so. Perhaps they were waiting for a search warrant to be issued, which can take several hours or so. Family would not be allowed to be in the house during a search.

I thoroughly agree with your general statement, but might add that searches, whether by permission or warrant, cannot be random fishing expeditions. Any evidence discovered might not be admissible in court. Until LE reaches the level of recognizing a specific crime they won't be able to search, but it's certainly prudent and well within the scope of their duties to guard the place until such time. IMO

MOO, IMO, I don’t think BS had anything to do with SM’s disappearance. (Y’all know I like to believe the best of everyone.)
Also, I think it was smart of him to lawyer up. If it were me, I would have done that from the get. Guilty or not.

BUT.... I also gave Tee the benefit of the doubt, and look at what happened in that situation.

So then it would be someone who thought they would be caught if the crime was discovered at the home (as opposed to elsewhere) and took the risk to move the body....
IF that's what happened...not so much a risk, I'd think in that isolated landscape and terrain. Many ways in and out and around without being seen, not many occupied homes and lots of places where a body would not be found. IMO

Excellent question! Answer: No. If the police receive consent from the owner, the police may conduct a warrantless search. In fact, I am pretty sure consent searches are the most common form of warrantless search. If the owner does not give consent, then the police must obtain a search warrant. And in order to obtain a search warrant, the police must persuade a neutral magistrate that there is probable cause of criminal activity (the fact that the owner did not agree to a search cannot help establish probable cause).
In most cases, LE might enter on a consent basis, but if there is anything suspicious they exit and get a warrant.

I had to skip ahead and miss a number of pages in order to post before the thread closed...so my apologies if I am redundant in posting this and also for likely missing many fantastic posts!

It makes sense to me that they are sealing off the house to preserve possible evidence.

I am honestly shocked that they hadn't done it as soon as they found her bicycle sans Suzanne, as the next likeliest place for a possible 'crime scene' would be her home.

I feel like this case has a trail of breadcrumbs that has been thrown up in the air and scattered haphazardly....kind of like confetti.

A found bicycle that may or may not have been operational...

Personal items of the missing woman found in at least 1 other location than the bike was....

A massive almost instantaneous reward for what is basically labelled as a 'missing cyclist'....

a family member faces the camera to plead for her safe return 7 days after she goes missing...

the house only gets sealed off 9 days after she goes missing?

I have to believe that LE has their act together and firmly in place in the right direction as they were on this lickity split. I think that once we hear the 911 call, everything will click into place.

Gut instinct only.

I hope SM is brought home safely and can hug her family soon.

All JMO and thoughts

This isn't a direct answer -- but we don't know one way or the other if they are searching. All we know is that CBI wouldn't confirm whether the property is being searched. As to whether LE can deny a family access to a home without warrant, that is an advanced law question that's above my pay grade. JMO.

Another outstanding question! Answer: Yes, the police can deny the owners access to the property without a search warrant but only under certain conditions. The police have to be diligently working on the search warrant application and obtain the search warrant within a reasonable period of time. This issue was decided by the US Supreme Court in 2001 and in that particular case I believe the police obtained a search warrant within two (2) hours of denying the owners access.

Another outstanding question! Answer: Yes, the police can deny the owners access to the property without a search warrant but only under certain conditions. The police have to be diligently working on the search warrant application and obtain the search warrant within a reasonable period of time. This issue was decided by the US Supreme Court in 2001 and in that particular case I believe the police obtained a search warrant within two (2) hours of denying the owners access.
Whoa! Thank you!!

Is Husband Out There Now, Searching?
Now why would her husband lawyer up? Because he's the money to and was advised to? I think he should just be out there looking....
@kay74 :) IDK if husband is searching ATM. But regardless, in MP cases it is common for LE to object/refuse to let family members actively participate w trained SaR teams, in actual boots on the ground searches. Esp'ly, at this juncture, 9-10 days.
One reason: LE does not want fam member to suffer the emotional injury of (possibly) finding remains. And
allowing any 'civilians' to join may lead to inadvertent destruction of evidence where remains are found and may, once a perp is arrested, reduce chance of a eventual successful prosecution.

After the passage of time, like months or yrs, after trained SaR teams have significantly reduced or even suspended search efforts, LE may no longer object to fam mem looky-loo-ing around by self or w others.
jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member