Comedian Tom Smothers of the Smothers Brothers dies at 86, 26 December 2023

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score
I first saw the Smothers Bros at the Purple Onion in San Francisco. And they also played a gig at U.C. Davis. Great shows. And loved when they went against the censors! :)

1703703563249.png
''Tom Smothers, who was half of the Smothers Brothers comedy team, died Tuesday at the age of 86 following a battle with cancer, the National Comedy Center announced Wednesday.

"Tom was not only the loving older brother that everyone would want in their life, he was a one-of-a-kind creative partner," his brother and comedy partner, Dick Smothers, said in a statement. "I am forever grateful to have spent a lifetime together with him, on and off stage, for over 60 years. Our relationship was like a good marriage -- the longer we were together, the more we loved and respected one another. We were truly blessed."

From link in OP.
"... brother Dick said...
“Don’t tell a comedian not to say a certain word. For sure they’ll do it,” he said. “The funny thing is, I look back at those things. They’re so benign, but at the time they were volatile.”

Ain't that the truth?
Controversial back then.
Now probably clean, benign enough to include their material on Sesame Street.

I saw them in person many times. But my favorite memory is from their TV show, when they staged a huge production of Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, with Kate Smith (some of you are old enough to recognize her name) costumed as a Salvation Army type musician. Loved them and their show. RIP, dear Tommy.

From link in OP.
"... brother Dick said...
“Don’t tell a comedian not to say a certain word. For sure they’ll do it,” he said. “The funny thing is, I look back at those things. They’re so benign, but at the time they were volatile.”

Ain't that the truth?
Controversial back then.
Now probably clean, benign enough to include their material on Sesame Street.

This team along with Lenny Bruce broke a lot of norms during their runs.

@Morag, I will look for that one RIGHT NOW. I loved that show. No VCR's back then. Heck we didn't even have a color TV yet, I don't think.
Good luck finding it- I’ve been looking for years! A friend of mine once went to the Paley Collection (tv and radio) in New York to see a Seinfeld episode he had missed, so I may have to do that. I’m going to check my state’s library catalogs for the complete series of show dvds. After 50 years, I still yearn to see it again.

@Morag, I will look for that one RIGHT NOW. I loved that show. No VCR's back then. Heck we didn't even have a color TV yet, I don't think.
Good luck finding it- I’ve been looking for years! A friend of mine once went to the Paley Collection (tv and radio) in New York to see a Seinfeld episode he had missed, so I may have to do that. I’m going to check my state’s library catalogs for the complete series of show dvds. After 50 years, I still yearn to see it again.
Season 2, Episode 6, 10/15/67

Have you checked YouTube? There are many episodes available free on YouTube.

I first saw the Smothers Bros at the Purple Onion in San Francisco. And they also played a gig at U.C. Davis. Great shows. And loved when they went against the censors! :)

U.C. Davis alum here! Did you go there @Niner?

My husband saw the Smothers Brothers at a Berkeley High School assembly when they were just starting out, before they were famous.

U.C. Davis alum here! Did you go there @Niner?

My husband saw the Smothers Brothers at a Berkeley High School assembly when they were just starting out, before they were famous.

No I did not go to UC Davis - my father did - I was still in high school. And yes, I saw them - before they were famous too. :)

Wow! That's amazing, Niner! The Purple Onion was an historic place that introduced so many new comedians. That must have been a great show. Back then, the Smothers Brothers and other comedians played in my hometown at Gaslight Square. I was still several years below drinking age, but knew some friends who used to sneak in the back to watch.

Their tv show was hugely popular with all my high school friends. It was always fun to talk about the latest controversial things they said and of course they featured all the latest rock groups. As much as anything, I think their big influence on the younger generation was the main reason CBS didn't renew them.

Tommy was such a great comedian. He and Dick were very innovative.

The Turtles on Smothers Brothers

The Who

Wow! That's amazing, Niner! The Purple Onion was an historic place that introduced so many new comedians. That must have been a great show. Back then, the Smothers Brothers and other comedians played in my hometown at Gaslight Square. I was still several years below drinking age, but knew some friends who used to sneak in the back to watch.

Their tv show was hugely popular with all my high school friends. It was always fun to talk about the latest controversial things they said and of course they featured all the latest rock groups. As much as anything, I think their big influence on the younger generation was the main reason CBS didn't renew them.

Tommy was such a great comedian. He and Dick were very innovative.

The Turtles on Smothers Brothers

The Who

Yes the early days of the great comedians at the Purple Onion in S.F.!
And I too watched all their shows.
Will check out the ones you posted - I need a good laugh! :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
artton
Back