Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think? I have been leaning this way for a while now. Waiting and wanting to hear from a "Dr" that actually diagnosed him with Asperger's.

I have to wonder if the school suggested AL be tested and that's when the parents decided to pull him from school.

JMO

Most larger areas have schools specifically for people with mental and/or physical handicaps. Smaller towns I have no idea. Probably not, since there would not be as many students for funding. Then I guess you would need to inquire about any one on one type of assistance, and if needed, any programs to help afford any costs.

I grew up about 20 miles from Newtown, and a sibling of mine attended such a school. He had mental issues in Elementary School and was acting out and occasionally violent in class (things like throwing desks). The school was technically a private school, but public funds were used to pay for students busing and tuition.

The issue was, the academics at the school were poor. His issues actually resolved around High School age, and we ended up pulling him from the school and putting him back into regular High School, and he was VERY far behind academically.

Considering how it appears AL had issues, but was bright, that type of school wouldn't work for him...

When I was in HS there were 3 magnet type schools for bright kids who didn't "fit in" to mainstream schooling, but unfortunately, they have all been closed, as taxpayers did not want to continue funding them. I believe schools like that are very important and should be reopened. One of the schools was very high level academics, but with a supportive environment (counselor on staff all day, group therapy 3x/week, bonding trips w/ other students, etc)

She [Nancy Lanza] seems even to have imagined that firing guns was therapeutic for young Adam Lanza. She reportedly told a friend that it helped him become more focused and confident.

“How about bowling?” a detective said on hearing this after the massacre.

Read more: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-to-keep-guns-at-home-with-troubled-adam.html

Exactly. I would like to find on therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist or anybody for that matter who thinks that's a great idea for somebody who has mental health issues.

I'm not sure you'll find anyone closer to Nancy Lanza than neighbors who played bunco with her for a decade and a half.

Exactly right. No other "friends" have come forward and these folks really seemed to like Nancy.

I hope it is okay to bump my own post from yesterday.. Maybe today someone who can give me advice reads it.

The more I read about Adam, and other brutal killers from anywhere in the world, the more I realise its always the same character/personality you hear about afterwards.
Very silent, almost never speaking, showing little emotions, no friends, always alone, a little weird, no eye contact, socially akward - but not stupid, actuallly quite intelligent. And not unfriendly, willing to help. You always hear that one sentence: "I could have never imagined that he was capable of doing something like this."

Now my problem is my husbands brother. He fits the above description perfectly.
Are those considered warning signs? Just curious if anyone knows something about this.

"In addition to his technological and weapons prowess, Adam Lanza was an excellent dancer – at least within the confines of the Dance Dance Revolution video game.

“It’s an arcade game as well as on the home systems where you basically dance around to a pattern on the screen,” Hanoman said. “And he was extremely good at it. He would often accumulate an audience of people around watching him…. (But) because it’s a two-player game … if anyone tried to come on the platform with him, no matter what he was doing, he would just turn around and walk out of the arcade.”
"

From: http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_new...-school-gunman-adam-lanza-and-his-mother?lite

Now that is an odd picture of the AL I had in my mind. I can't wrap my head around this killer. Shy and antisocial and hated human contact but would dance in public with a crowd around him? Say what? :waitasec:

Exactly right. No other "friends" have come forward and these folks really seemed to like Nancy.

There could be many reasons she didn't like people in her house. Maybe she was a neat freak.

Which family member said she refused to have vistors in her home. In fact iirc one of the family members said they had visited Nancy.

Now I have read she did not let workers/repairmen/vendors etc come in through her main entry. I dont find that odd at all. One said he did work in the basement so of course she would go around to the entrance closest to the basement to let him in that way.

She may have had highly valuable collectibles in her million plus dollar home or very expensive flooring where she wouldnt want a repairman walking on it with dirty boots.

I have never read she did not allow people she knew well into her home. Do you have a link MyBelle? If so, tia.

She was a single woman. She would not want strangers or repairman coming into the main level of her home for a myriad of reasons, imo.

IMO
Ocean-
I do remember reading that she was part of a neighborhood Bunco group, but that she never hosted the group in her home as the other members did. I don't have the link for that right now, but I've gotten the impression from the locals who are speaking out that her friends had not been invited into her home, either.

ETA: I see now that someone provided the link. If she had been socializing with these neighbors for 15 years, it does seem unusual to me that she would not reciprocate by having them in her home.

I should add that one of the magnet schools from my HS would play softball against other such schools (I had several friends in that school), and one of the teams they played was Danbury Alternative School... so there were specialized schools in the area (Danbury is right next to Newtown)

With all due respect, I think this tragedy has everything to do with Adam being in school as a child because that's who he selected to slaughter en mass.

I am going by the news articles that have quoted school staff who have said they feared AL would harm himself and for that reason, they paid closer attention to him. That, alone, goes far beyond just "socially awkward."

JMO

Im not trying to be contrary MyBelle I promise but the only thing I have read is they were worreid he may hurt himself physically because he could injure himself playing ball and would not feel the pain from his injury if he did. I never saw anyone say they thought Adam would harm himself intentionally though. In fact all are very shocked by all of this.

Handicapped children of all degrees are allowed to attend public schools even though they may require more attention.

He could have picked the youngest and most vulnerable because he simply wanted to make sure his horrific acts were more memorable than others who murdered adults.

Imo, this is nothing about Adams days in school where nothing remarkable happened but I do respect your opinion to believe differently.

I have thought though that he may have picked that particular school because of the pychologist that had worked there since 1994 iirc.

IMO

With all due respect, I think this tragedy has everything to do with Adam being in school as a child because that's who he selected to slaughter en mass.

I am going by the news articles that have quoted school staff who have said they feared AL would harm himself and for that reason, they paid closer attention to him. That, alone, goes far beyond just "socially awkward."

JMO

the nbc article with video has linked upstream has an interview with the security person who also was the advisor of the club he was in. He knew him since Elementary and he did not say anything along those lines. Rather, he said he was gentle.

eta: link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...by-massacre-gunman-and-mother-say-adam-lanza/

it was fox...

LE is considering many theories. I don't believe AL's mother was going to put him into any facilities.
IMO, the woman was in denial about her son and his future and probably envisioned him going to college.

Plus he was an adult and he could do or not do what he wanted.

Ocean-
I do remember reading that she was part of a neighborhood Bunco group, but that she never hosted the group in her home as the other members did. I don't have the link for that right now, but I've gotten the impression from the locals who are speaking out that her friends had not been invited into her home, either.

ETA: I see now that someone provided the link. If she had been socializing with these neighbors for 15 years, it does seem unusual to me that she would not reciprocate by having them in her home.

Yes I do remember that Jenna.

But I want to know if she disallowed close friend and family members into her home.

She may have known that her son was very uncomfortable around people so she simply saved him for getting stressed if the neighbors came over.

IMO

Sorry if this is a repeat:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...by-massacre-gunman-and-mother-say-adam-lanza/

"Another stylist, Jessica Phillips, echoed their descriptions of the Lanzas and added that Nancy Lanza would give her son directions about what to do and where to go.

Adam would move only "when his mother told him to," Skuba said.

"I would say, 'Adam, come on.' He wouldn't move," Skuba said. "And his mother would have to say, 'Adam, come on, he's ready.' It was like I was invisible." He said Adam also wouldn't move from his chair after his hair was cut until his mother told him to.

If a stylist would ask Adam a question, Skuba said, his mother would answer."

From: http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_new...-school-gunman-adam-lanza-and-his-mother?lite

Now that is an odd picture of the AL I had in my mind. I can't wrap my head around this killer. Shy and antisocial and hated human contact but would dance in public with a crowd around him? Say what? :waitasec:

:waitasec: Makes NO sense!

the nbc article with video has linked upstream has an interview with the security person who also was the advisor of the club he was in. He knew him since Elementary and he did not say anything along those lines. Rather, he said he was gentle.

Everybody seem to describe AL as quite, withdrawn, etc. Even his "crises" were not that he would attack anyone, but that he would stop doing anything he was doing and completely withdraw. So far we haven't heard from anyone describing any sort of violence coming from this AL person.
Of course it seems that last three years he was mostly at home with his mother.
He could have developed other conditions on top of his Asperger's.

eta: link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...by-massacre-gunman-and-mother-say-adam-lanza/

it was fox...

Yes, he was very gentle, shy, and unassuming. The perfect target for bullying so the teachers kept a close look out and they said he was never bullied.

IMO

Yes I do remember that Jenna.

But I want to know if she disallowed close friend and family members into her home.

She may have known that her son was very uncomfortable around people so she simply saved him for getting stressed if the neighbors came over.

IMO

Actually, that's a very good point. I've played Bunco and it gets very very loud -ringing bells and lots of screaming. A large group of screaming, cackling women probably would make him uncomfortable.
jmo

Fwiw (not much as of now) "former classmate" Trevor Todd is claiming (in National Enquirer via Daily Mail, link below) that Adam Lanza made an "on-line devil worshipping" page.

http://tinyurl.com/bnqkb9v

I just received this email----this is TOO close to home...heartbreaking :(

At approx. 10:20 am the Pikeville Police Department responded to an incident that occurred in the back parking lot of The Big Sandy Technical School. A male subject was deceased from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Preliminary investigations appear at no time was there a threat made to the Technical School or any other school and that this was an isolated incident. Model City Daycare did go on voluntary lockdown due to the proximity of the incident. The incident is still under investigation by the Pikeville Police Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KreepinSavage