Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The theory is AL being placed in a group home type of facility or moving out of the big home, where he could hibernate in his fiefdom/sanctuary makes a lot of sense to me

AL sounded like he had a pretty comfortable life with about anything he needed was available to him, money did'nt seem like an obstacle to the Lanzas

Yeah, I can see this guy just exploding if he found out he was going to be moved. I'd imagine AL had pre conceptions of what group home living was, maybe he thought his hobbies, computers, cameras, guns would be very restricted there?

And that very thought turned him violent...Just my thoughts

I am so glad to see JBean's post.

I think this mother has been unfairly targeted by the media and made into something she isnt. The more twisted they can make her become the more they know the viewers will gather to read what they have to say.
snip

Could you provide a link backing up your statement that somehow the media vilified Nancy Lanza?

I don't really think it's necessary to refer to Adam Lanza as a monster because as you have pointed out, we really don't know the facts of all of this which means we don't know how he got to the point he did. I am interested in that topic and realize I don't really know.

TIME thanks for the above statement. I do apologize because after reading your statement I should have stated the "actions of a monster", not refer or call the shooter a monster.

I too am quite interested in the topic of the shooter's issues and how he might have gotten to that point.

I would like to highlight that people with Aspergers Syndrome are wonderful people, individuals who are some of the most loving, caring and honest (brutally honest), people who are likely in all our lives and anyone who has interacted regularly with a person with Aspergers Syndrome knows how hard they work to manage their issues and they do not commit senseless violence.

I mention this because the media's reporting on Aspergers Syndrome and the shooter are troubling and hurtful to anyone who has or loves someone in their live with Aspergers Syndrome.

Here's an explanation of why Lanza may have been refused into the military on his intitial application if he applied at all:

Uses of Section Eight
Officially, Section Eight was used to administratively separate any soldier from the Army who was considered to be unfit for military service due to psychological reasons. For example, a soldier exhibiting psychosis, drug addiction or wetting the bed could be forced out of military service after meeting with an analyst assigned by the Army to assess psychological health. Section Eight's notoriety in history arose because in the early wars it was used discriminatively to remove homosexuals -- so-called sexual deviants -- and African Americans from the Army.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7899253_military-section-8.html#ixzz2FiV7YEmj

Bringing from the last thread

Well, unfortunately we are still working on an antiquated industrial model for schools. We are still forming huge consolidated schools. In some areas, they have tried a 'school within a school' approach with some success so that children/adolescents will not join gangs in order to have 'family' or belonging. I think it is the same concept with other students and would help with bullying and understanding differences. If schools were smaller, we also would not have such high administration costs and that money can go elsewhere.

I agree. Teachers should not take on the additional burden of having to be physically armed and trained to use weapons. Their primary duty is to educate the children, not to have to worry about physically protecting the students from crazed gunmen. Teachers already have to contend with an antiquated education system, lack of funding, overcrowded classrooms, bureaucratic B.S., school bullies, etc., they should not have to take on guns too.

The physical protection of students from shootings need to done by trained professionals whose sole job is to protect the public, e.g., police officers/guards. All a school needs is ONE such police officer/guard stationed at a very visible area within the school in order to deter any violence. Even bullies would be hesitant to harm another student if such an armed officer was in place.

I visit NYC quite a bit for business. There are still armed uniformed officers in certain train stations/depots. I for one feel much safer knowing they are in physical proximity. I think just seeing the officers present makes criminals/terrorists, etc. less likely to strike out.

There are even some schools with metal detectors/weapon scanners which all students/staff have to walk through. I personally think that the detectors/scanners are going overboard because students/teachers/school staff should not feel like they're being treated as potential criminals. But are these necessary and a sign of the times? IDK But I do believe that having one armed uniformed officer visibly present will deter a lot of violence in schools.

<snip for brevity>
Yes I am aware that Peter Lanza began dating and later married a new woman following the divorce. (Btw the new Mrs Lanza looks exactly like Nancy...) As far as Adam and Ryan's relationship with their father, currently reporting on that is more speculation than based in fact.

Actually, I did not think SC looks much like NL. The only similarity is the curly hair both had at some point in time.

The theory is AL being placed in a group home type of facility or moving out of the big home, where he could hibernate in his fiefdom/sanctuary makes a lot of sense to me

AL sounded like he had a pretty comfortable life with about anything he needed was available to him, money did'nt seem like an obstacle to the Lanzas

Yeah, I can see this guy just exploding if he found out he was going to be moved. I'd imagine AL had pre conceptions of what group home living was, maybe he thought his hobbies, computers, cameras, guns would be very restricted there?

And that very thought turned him violent...Just my thoughts

Un-bolded by me. :blushing:

This was widely reported and debunked when it was discovered the source of the information was simply spreading rumor he heard; the statement was debunked by the father of the source of the information.

Okay, I'm not good at the math right now b/c I am really cooking, cleaning, etc... Just ruined some ginger snaps. However, the math is getting weird with time of divorce/separation and AL's age.

Yesterday, I thought I read NL and hubby had not lived together for 14 years. AL would have been 6, and the parents would have split in 1998. Today, I see we have split in 2001, AL would have been 9.

I have no real reason for this curiosity other than 9 seems to be a year of further withdrawal in my own experience and with many friends of that sort of bend. Mostly, I am curious about the family dynamics to piece together stress points for AL. I think we have surmised 2 to 3 years ago something happened. Dad got married we know, AL cut off dad, so we have read. Just working on a mental timeline here. Ignore the rambling unless we can piece it all up.

Here's an explanation of why Lanza may have been refused into the military on his intitial application if he applied at all:

Uses of Section Eight
Officially, Section Eight was used to administratively separate any soldier from the Army who was considered to be unfit for military service due to psychological reasons. For example, a soldier exhibiting psychosis, drug addiction or wetting the bed could be forced out of military service after meeting with an analyst assigned by the Army to assess psychological health. Section Eight's notoriety in history arose because in the early wars it was used discriminatively to remove homosexuals -- so-called sexual deviants -- and African Americans from the Army.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7899253_military-section-8.html#ixzz2FiV7YEmj

Do we know Adam actually applied to be in the military? I was under the impression that the mom had stopped him from applying.

Funny how differently people can read the same articles. It seems to me that most people who have been interviewed about NL have had nice things to say about her. That she was a nice person, generous, cared about her children, outgoing but perhaps a little reticent about some family matters, loved the outdoors, liked baseball and target shooting, was meticulous, cared about responsible gun ownership... Whether it represents the real her I can't tell but I never thought that she'd been portrayed as any kind of monster in the media.

TIME thanks for the above statement. I do apologize because after reading your statement I should have stated the "actions of a monster", not refer or call the shooter a monster.

I too am quite interested in the topic of the shooter's issues and how he might have gotten to that point.

I would like to highlight that people with Aspergers Syndrome are wonderful people, individuals who are some of the most loving, caring and honest (brutally honest), people who are likely in all our lives and anyone who has interacted regularly with a person with Aspergers Syndrome knows how hard they work to manage their issues and they do not commit senseless violence.

I mention this because the media's reporting on Aspergers Syndrome and the shooter are troubling and hurtful to anyone who has or loves someone in their live with Aspergers Syndrome.

C'mon let's not forget who Adam Lanza really is. He showed his real colors

Lanza is no different than the many well publicized mass murderers throughout history

Just because Hitler, Al Quaeda, Bin Laden, Saddam were leaders of their organizations/country does not make Adam Lanza any less a mass murderer than they are.

No one cares about Saddam's or Bin Laden's psychological issues, so why should we care about Lanza's?...Just Saying my opinion
It is what it is and Lanza will be remembered as a mass murderer

Do we know Adam actually applied to be in the military? I was under the impression that the mom had stopped him from applying.

Bourne--- to my know-how no proof has come forth on Lanza's application to any military branch of service...it's just heresay as of right now until proven.

We don't know if going to the gun range was a family activity when the Lanza's were still married. We don't know for sure if Nancy or Peter ever took Adam to the gun range. We don't know if the Lanza's went hunting together or if they were even hunters. We don't know more than we do know; this causing endless speculation. Studies have proven that the public remembers the first reporting of events more than the public remembers the true facts that come out with the patience of time.

BBM
I'm still hearing folks (not on Websleuths) refer to the older brother as the shooter.

We have metal detectors in airports, courthouses, and other buildings where children have been...why not schools?

We have cameras in convenience stores, grocery stores, street corners, and traffic lights where children have been....why not schools?

We have armed guards in many of the same places...why not schools?

This may not be a popular opinion but I think people with Asperger's syndrome are quite a lot like the rest of us in that some of them are loving and caring and others are complete modsnips. There is no DSM-IV diagnosis that excludes all negative qualities from a personality.

I don't get it either. This morning a friend's church rang the bells 27 times at 9:30, and the pastor has been getting death threats today. I mean, seriously? WTH is wrong with people?

Even Vinnie Politan keeps talking about the 26 victims and the 26 random acts of kindness idea.

It's really bugging me. This woman, regardless of who she was before, was likely shot while she was sleeping. How is that not a victim?

Nancy is a victim, but she is not a victim of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. What the pastor did was wonderful and it is awful that he is getting death threats. However, I do understand why others choose to not include Nancy in the 26.

It appears that Nancy was killed while she slept. She was in her own home and in her own bed. The alleged fact that he afforded his mother a more humane death than he did the 26 victims at Sandy Hook speaks volumes to motive, IMO.

The 26 victims at Sandy Hook were completely opposite. They were outside of their homes. Not safely and peacefully tucked into their beds. They were wide awake. Happy and excited about Gingerbread House making and their upcoming Holiday break. What they endured before their death has to be explained as nothing short of unexplainable terror. They knew it was coming. This is explained by the teacher who saved her entire class by hiding in a closet and telling them that she loved them and they would have Christmas.

MOO

Funny how differently people can read the same articles. It seems to me that most people who have been interviewed about NL have had nice things to say about her. That she was a nice person, generous, cared about her children, outgoing but perhaps a little reticent about some family matters, loved the outdoors, liked baseball and target shooting, was meticulous, cared about responsible gun ownership... Whether it represents the real her I can't tell but I never thought that she'd been portrayed as any kind of monster in the media.
Exactly. In fact, I've only seen one article in MSM that presented another viewpoint - that of certain Newtown citizens, and even it is balanced:

In Newtown, Nancy Lanza a subject of sympathy for some, anger for others (Washington Post)

I don't believe anybody said he ever applied.

I am so glad to see JBean's post.

I think this mother has been unfairly targeted by the media and made into something she isnt. The more twisted they can make her become the more they know the viewers will gather to read what they have to say.

Even making something out of a basement without windows when countless basements have no windows.

I think Nancy was a lovely devoted mother who loved both of her sons with all her heart. She did the very best she could for Adam out of love, imo.

I really pay no attention to what others have said in the media about Nancy that didnt even know this woman. Every person that did know her has had nothing but wonderful things to say about her. She lived for her boys and sadly she was killed by one of them that she loved.

I truly hope she is at peace now. It had to be hard at times raising a child who was deemed different but imo she never stopped trying to do what she thought was best for Adam.

The facts of the matter are fairly simple, as I see it. Sure, Nancy is a victim. She was shot by her own child and that is terrible, but, and it is a big BUT, the manner in which this attack was carried out and the deadliness of the attack would not have happened if it hadn't been for her gun collection. Adam would not have been capable of purchasing such guns on his own. He was not eligible to purchase a handgun in the state of CT until the age of 21. The AR-15 is the same, I believe, even though "long guns" are 18 or older in the state (correct me if I'm wrong)

Adam, considering his "anxiety" and his inability to speak to even a barber, would have been HIGHLY unlikely to seek out those weapons in an illegal manner or legal for the matter on his own. Basically, his mother offered him access to the weapons that killed 26 people.

It is likely the news media is doing it out of respect for the other victims' families.... Would you want the name of the woman who purchased the weapon that killed your child lumped in with your child's name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal