Coronation of King Charles III - 6 May 2023

Agreed. I don't know much about the UK or people. But I think that immigration has changed the UK, not unlike immigration has changed the US.

Many people may no longer have the same feelings for the monarchy any longer.
Not really from immigrates so much. Some people such as my self have family tree that trace back as British for generations and still have strong feelings on the monarchy.

This will probably be the only coronation in my lifetime,so I am not missing it!

With Charles being close to 75, it could go either way IMO.

If he is long lived, it may be 20 years until William ascends the throne.

If not, William might ascend the throne within a decade (more or less).

Only time will tell.

LONDON — A coronation offers a rare glimpse into the British royal family’s famous treasures, the crown jewels, which are normally locked away in the medieval Tower of London.

Only seen in public on important state occasions, the crowning of King Charles III on Saturday will see the monarchy’s regalia and finery on full display.

Here is a guide to what will be on display and what it means...

LONDON — While King Charles III, 74, has ruled since his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, died in September, on Saturday he will be crowned monarch of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, also becoming the largely ceremonial head of the Commonwealth.

The U.K. is the only country in Europe to hold a lavish coronation ceremony — other countries, such as France, have either abolished the monarchy, opted for a more simple affair, such as Norway, or have never had coronations, such as the Netherlands.

This will be the 40th coronation at Westminster Abbey, a tradition dating back to 1066. Charles’ wife, Camilla, previously known as the queen consort, will officially become queen.

Elizabeth, who died at the age of 96, sat on the throne for a record-breaking 70 years. She was 27 when she was crowned in 1953 — an era-defining moment shown on the still-new medium of television for the first time. In contrast, Charles is a veteran royal who has traveled across the world many times representing the country.

Here’s what to expect on his coronation day...

Only time will tell.

It would be good if Williams kids were all grown up before he becomes King. Anything could happen though, I’m not convinced Charles will reach the ripe old age his parents did.

We are SO excited. I am planning a British menu for that day. Scones and berries for breakfast, luncheon, I am not sure, probably going to have it later, and have a combined luncheon and tea. Anyone else decided on the menu for celebrating?
We will be having tea and homemade scones with berries & clotted cream! There will also be champagne! It will be 3:00 am here when the coverage starts. I'll be heading to my daughters house to watch. She is an absolute anglophile! We're very excited!!!

We will be having tea and homemade scones with berries & clotted cream! There will also be champagne! It will be 3:00 am here when the coverage starts. I'll be heading to my daughters house to watch. She is an absolute anglophile! We're very excited!!!
Bbm.
Oh my goodness ! :D

The scones, berries and clotted cream sound good, though.
I'll be asleep at that time ... or I'd invite myself over for a bite !
Jk. :)

Truly a history-making moment.
I'd imagine we'll all still be around when William is crowned, though ?

Bbm.
Oh my goodness ! :D

The scones, berries and clotted cream sound good, though.
I'll be asleep at that time ... or I'd invite myself over for a bite !
Jk. :)

Truly a history-making moment.
I'd imagine we'll all still be around when William is crowned, though ?
God willing I hope so too!! One of the great things about being retired is I can stay up as late (or in this case early) as I want! ;)

Only time will tell.
I'm just saying that due to how long they all have lived.I'm 54 myself.I'd love to see William crowned in the future.

I'm just saying that due to how long they all have lived.I'm 54 myself.I'd love to see William crowned in the future.

Oh, I’m right there with you!

It seems to me that it’s more the women who are very long lived in all faMillies though so hard to say how long between coronations.

Charles will have a shortened reign and William a longer one, due to Charles being elderly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xsealtm1
Back