Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my. Its sad to hear what the person has experienced in her Asian travels during the outbreak. Its getting crazy and all we can hope is that the craziness doesnt get that bad wherever everyone lives.

If we run out of TP, we can try to find these "fake masks" and use them. :)

"And, in Vietnam, a company that was discovered to be making masks out of toilet paper is facing heavy fines."

I've been traveling in Asia for 3 weeks amid the deadly coronavirus outbreak, and actually catching the virus is far from my biggest fear

ETA - And depending on the place, we are damned if we do and damned if we dont.

"On a tour of the Mekong Delta, my guide brought up stories of Asian people who have been harassed and assaulted while wearing masks in public. In Vietnam, she said, the opposite would occur — people not wearing surgical masks would be seen as dangerous, potentially spreading the virus by refusing to take precautions."

Last edited:
Eat at your local Chinese restaurant or watch it close down- Australians urged to put aside coronavirus fears as Asian eateries across country rapidly go out of business

Eat at local Chinese restaurant or watch it close down Australians urged put aside coronavirus fears | Daily Mail Online

I think this is going to be a very big problem unfortunately. I went to the best Chinese takeaway with 5 star reviews where I live in Scotland on Saturday night. It was empty and the phone rang once during the time I waited for my order. It was crazy busy as usual when I last went in December. The three other Chinese takeaways nearby were also empty.

Eat at your local Chinese restaurant or watch it close down- Australians urged to put aside coronavirus fears as Asian eateries across country rapidly go out of business

Eat at local Chinese restaurant or watch it close down Australians urged put aside coronavirus fears | Daily Mail Online

I think this is going to be a very big problem unfortunately. I went to the best Chinese takeaway with 5 star reviews where I live in Scotland on Saturday night. It was empty and the phone rang once during the time I waited for my order. It was crazy busy as usual when I last went in December. The three other Chinese takeaways nearby were also empty.
I thought the same about nail salons....

Has anyone had any success with canceling a cruise and getting a credit or refund during this? Specifically Royal Caribbean.

We had booked a cruise early December to go to the Caribbean (incl. Bahamas), leaving on 2/22. I have emailed numerous times, called numerous times (on hold 2 hours), and now this morning I have was told to call the original travel booking company (again).
We purchased travel insurance. My husband read we need a note from a Dr. My health has not been good (cancer, now diabetes), and I don’t feel comfortable leaving the country right now.

We leave on 3/1 on RCCL out of Galveston. I can completely understand you not wanting to leave with your health concerns.

We have travel insurance through Allianz and I looked at our policy the other day and it specifically excludes epidemics, so my understanding is unless we were to have some other illness with a doctors note, we would not receive any compensation for Covid-19.

As far as from RCCL, I don’t know what they would do if anything, especially this close to the departure date.

So.....the Hubei numbers today are reported as 394. But the subtracted 279 cases for negative results. So the total for day is really 673. Why they didn't list the 279 as recovered is beyond me....I really don't understand the explanation below.

China’s National Health Commission reported an additional 114 deaths, and 394 new confirmed cases as of Feb. 19. That brings the total deaths in the mainland to 2,118 and the confirmed cases to 74,576 cases.

The number of new cases was drastically lower than the 1,749 reported the day before.

Hubei reported 349 new confirmed cases, after the removal of 279 cases with negative nucleic acid test results. On Wednesday, China released the “No. 6 trial” measures for virus prevention and control, which removed a classification for Hubei that allowed the province to include a “clinically diagnosed” category. — Weizhen Tan, Evelyn Cheng

Coronavirus live updates: New cases in China drop to 394; Beijing revises diagnosis protocol

Does this sound like a situation that is getting better???
What a web we weave when we practice to deceive......
2:05 a.m. ET, February 18, 2020
China is monitoring everyone who bought fever medicine in Hubei

From CNN’s Eric Cheung in Hong Kong

Chinese citizens who bought medicine to treat fever and coughs in Hubei province will be subjected to extra screening by authorities, the provincial government announced Tuesday.

Health workers will collect the personal information of those who purchased the medication in Hubei from January 20, regardless of whether they bought it online or offline, the notice read.

Those individuals will be subjected to extra testing for the coronavirus and may be quarantined if necessary.

People who exhibited fever symptoms while seeking medical care in Hubei since January 20 will also be checked, the notice added.

The policies, which will be implemented with immediate effect, also require pharmacies to submit the identity of those who purchase fever medicine on a daily basis.

China is monitoring everyone who bought fever medicine in Hubei

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk

BREAKING: 2 passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise ship have died of coronavirus - NHK

BRB with ETA after I put through google translate of the source document

New virus cruise ship disembarks and kills two Japanese passengers in hospital

February 20, 2020 11:38

Two Japanese men and women in their 80s who were hospitalized and treated for the virus were killed on the 20th in a cruise ship passenger who was confirmed to be infected with the new coronavirus. This is the first time a cruise ship passenger has died and three people have been killed in the country.... According to government officials, two of them, a 87-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman, died on the 20th. Both were Japanese and had a basic illness and were confirmed to have been infected with the virus, so the man was hospitalized on the 11th of this month and the woman was hospitalized on the 12th. This is the first time a cruise ship passenger has died.....

Last edited:
BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk

BREAKING: 2 passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise ship have died of coronavirus - NHK

Two Japanese men and women in their 80s who were hospitalized and treated for the virus were killed on the 20th in a cruise ship passenger who was confirmed to be infected with the new coronavirus. This is the first time a cruise ship passenger has died and three people have been killed in the country.... According to government officials, two of them, a 87-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman, died on the 20th. Both were Japanese and had a basic illness and were confirmed to have been infected with the virus, so the man was hospitalized on the 11th of this month and the woman was hospitalized on the 12th. This is the first time a cruise ship passenger has died.....

Terrible news. This is going to cause panic on the ship. How many people are still on it?

They are going to have to take that boat out to sea and blow it up because few customers will be willing to go on it no matter how cheap the cruises are.

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk

I find it interesting that this article uses the word "killed"....

They include those with symptoms but have either negative test or no test.
Hubei, where the majority of the world's infections have been concentrated, added a new category of "clinical cases" to its reporting. Now, patients will be included who exhibit all the symptoms of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus — including fever, cough and shortness of breath — but have either not been tested or tested negative for the virus itself.

A Change In How 1 Chinese Province Reports Coronavirus Adds Thousands Of Cases

And, They do not include positive test but no symptoms, making it impossible to understand their numbers.
The changes to the classification of asymptomatic coronavirus cases emerged on Jan. 29, in a set of guidance from China’s National Health Commission. The agency said that it would no longer count patients who had tested positive for the coronavirus but did not display symptoms as “confirmed cases.” Instead, those patients would be counted separately, as “positive diagnosis” patients, and would become confirmed only if they began showing symptoms.

How Many Coronavirus Cases in China? Officials Tweak the Answer

OK Henry, you owe me 3 hours of my life for making me go down a rabbit hole to understand my ignorance and research to understand. :p:p:p

Whoa and I did, but stuff to share here back at ya. But it was so complex, that I just had a glass of wine and need to compile. Everyone here may know what I'm finding out, but just in case some were like I and had not before, I'll share as some may not also.

I'll do that in the am. This post and another poster that said "it doesn't add up"..... made me question my beliefs (love this site when other express differing opinion that makes me do a Winne the Pooh think think think)

OK Henry, you owe me 3 hours of my life for making me go down a rabbit hole to understand my ignorance and research to understand. :p:p:p

Whoa and I did, but stuff to share here back at ya. But it was so complex, that I just had a glass of wine and need to compile. Everyone here may know what I'm finding out, but just in case some were like I and had not before, I'll share as some may not also.

I'll do that in the am. This post and another poster that said "it doesn't add up"..... made me question my beliefs (love this site when other express differing opinion that makes me do a Winne the Pooh think think think)
Looking forward to the read. :);):D

Interesting

So are the “positive diagnosis” numbers being reported publicly anywhere???

edit- spelling

Preview to update tomorrow am... they are pretty minimal because they aren't testing folks unless they DO have symptoms MOOO after rabbit hole. Of the 72,314 cases in the Lancet article, only 889 fell into that category. The issue really is not the reporting, but THEY ARE NOT...ooops, sorry to yell.. they are not testing folks unless they have symptoms. From the numbers and the timing of those 889 of the 72,314.. I think it was health care folks they tested

More tomorrow am!

Terrible news. This is going to cause panic on the ship. How many people are still on it?

They are going to have to take that boat out to sea and blow it up because few customers will be willing to go on it no matter how cheap the cruises are.

Yes. I'm numb with disbelief, even though we've been discussing
death rate, it's gotten real,
real fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads