Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Sweden there is still a lot of news about covid mostly about Ba2 variant of omicron. Omicron is a wildfire here and many people are out of work sick or with sick kids. It’s making a lot of news still. Curious about that though how is it in other countries.
Edited to add I’m currently waiting for a press conference on new measurements at 1pm(eu time).

Lots are sick here in Kansas and staffing in medical facilities is strained. Hospitals are full, but they say the cases are less serious now. Still, two died in my small community in the past week, so it's still dangerous.

It finally found us. We received my hubbies PCR results this morning. It's positive. He's running a low grade fever, runny nose and a general feeling of malaise. I worry about him as he has an underlying condition. Luckily we have easy access to medical advise via phone or video chat.

I still have the same headache I've had for 5 days. I'm not going for a second PCR at this point. I'm just going to assume we both have it. If my symptoms get worse, I'll go for a second test.
My husband and I are both double vaccinated along with boosters. I'm hoping that will make this a mild encounter with our enemy Covid.
Sorry to hear this news. Hope all will be well very soon. Take care!

PS I took a home test this morning as I've been sneezing and am congested with runny nose...first time using a test on my own, so I was meticulous with the directions. Only a purple line appeared so possibly I just have an ordinary cold. Do people still get ordinary colds, I wonder?

PS I took a home test this morning as I've been sneezing and am congested with runny nose...first time using a test on my own, so I was meticulous with the directions. Only a purple line appeared so possibly I just have an ordinary cold. Do people still get ordinary colds, I wonder?

I got a few colds in past months I did pcr test every time and was negative. So colds still go around!
With omicron spreading so badly now it still could be covid. Rapid tests sometimes take a few days of symptoms to test positive. If you keep having cold symptoms repeat the test to be sure.

Those rapid tests don't work that well against Omicron as far as I can tell. Best to do PCR to be sure.

Those rapid tests don't work that well against Omicron as far as I can tell. Best to do PCR to be sure.
That's a bummer. :( However, I do know quite a few people, some family and some teacher friends who have used them and have tested positive. Even if it's a cold, I'll still avoid spreading it to others and just stay home a few days.

Marvellous, we’ve got “Stealth Omicron” in my city. Gets more sci-fi by the day o_O

Scientists discover cases of new Covid variant in Leeds dubbed 'stealth Omicron'

Its spreading here rapidly as well. In Denmark 40% cases is new omicron. Swedish authorities thought that by end of January cases will go down. Unfortunately they are growing insanely fast. I do wonder if it’s new omicron variant driving that.
Denmark: Omicron sub-variant BA.2 accounts for half of Danish cases - Outbreak News Today

In my part of Europe the cases skyrocketed even more than last week. Consequently, PCR tests are only done for free if you first test positive on a rapid test (self-testing or official). PCR test positivity rate is extremely high. You can still pay for a PCR test yourself, though it's quite expensive. Hospitalizations are slowly increasing (currently at 50% of the highest) and so are deaths, but the ICU admissions are falling slightly.

FWIW.....I would have the colonoscopy procedure, especially if there have been previous GI issues or things noted in a previous colonoscopy.
Don’t know everyone’s age group, was told over 60 presents more risks regarding colon according to an ostomy nurse. Waiting for a good time during an ongoing two year plus pandemic to get a colonoscopy can turn into an trip to the ED resulting in emergency surgery plus an extended hospital stay with much greater risk of contracting Covid.
JMO

I haven't had problems with previous colonoscopies but have experienced some digestive issues over the past several months. All my labs/tests were fine, but gastro still wants colonoscopy and upper endoscopy to rule out anything serious. I will be 72 tomorrow and have a feeling that my aging digestive system is overly sensitive to certain foods and that the stress of the pandemic has also taken a toll. I'd rather be safe than sorry and will do the prep tomorrow and have the procedures on Friday morning.

Can you put the procedure off until Omicron cases subside somewhat?
I was supposed to have a colonoscopy in November-- something occurred
and I could not do it--I need to reschedule it here in Florida but with
Omicron surging, I am going to wait for a !ittle while until this surge
subsides. If you do have the procedure I am sure they will do
everything to keep you safe. Good luck

Thanks for your concern. No one knows if or when Covid will subside, and I don't want to neglect my overall health and well-being. I have done everything possible to avoid Covid and hope that the outpatient facility is diligent about their protocols to keep patients safe. When I saw the gastroenterologist in her office last month, it was obvious that the practice has very strict rules about masks, social distancing, etc.

DH had a colonoscopy by the same physician in December 2020 the week after his retirement. Due to Covid, I was unable to go to the surgical unit and sat in the drafty lobby during his procedure; it was better than sitting in my car. Dr. B told me in mid-December that DH would be able to sit in the surgical waiting room and that she would chat with him after my procedures. Fast forward to current conditions with Omicron: DH will not be able to visit the surgical unit and will have to sit in the lobby or his car.

I hope you're enjoying the sunshine and warmth in Florida. It is bitterly cold back home in Michigan.

Last edited:
In my part of Europe the cases skyrocketed even more than last week. Consequently, PCR tests are only done for free if you first test positive on a rapid test (self-testing or official). PCR test positivity rate is extremely high. You can still pay for a PCR test yourself, though it's quite expensive. Hospitalizations are slowly increasing (currently at 50% of the highest) and so are deaths, but the ICU admissions are falling slightly.
These rapid tests give a large number of false negatives. False positives are usually not a big problem with them.

Interesting analysis that Dr. Campbell provides of the study reported by the CDC. The study looked at four categories of individuals and Dr. Campbell ranks the results according to their risks of hospitalization. The four categories are listed below, according to their level of risk for hospitalization.

Highest Risk of Hospitalization -- Unvaccinated without having had covid-19 infection

Next Highest Risk of Hospitalizaiton -- Vaccinated without having had covid-19 infection

Lower Risk of Hospitalization -- Similar results for both Unvaccinated who have been infected with covid-19 and Vaccinated who have been infected with covid-19.

Study undertaken during delta phase of the pandemic.

Please correct me if I have got this wrong, I am writing this from memeory after watching Dr. C's youtube video posted above.

The graphs that Dr. C. presents based on the data tell an interesting story of the results of the study.

It sounds as though this is a strong argument for not forcing vaccination on the known previously infected. (Yes, shots likely will add to the protection). A logical result would be to reshift the categories to those with antibodies to those without instead of vaccinated/unvaccinated. I think, however, that too many people are invested in the idea of universal vaccination. IMO.

Thanks for your concern. No one knows if or when Covid will subside, and I don't want to neglect my overall health and well-being. I have done everything possible to avoid Covid and hope that the outpatient facility is diligent about their protocols to keep patients safe. When I saw the gastroenterologist in her office last month, it was obvious that the practice has very strict rules about masks, social distancing, etc.

DH had a colonoscopy by the same physician in December 2020 the week after his retirement. Due to Covid, I was unable to go to the surgical unit and sat in the drafty lobby during his procedure; it was better than sitting in my car. Dr. B told me in mid-December that DH would be able to sit in the surgical waiting room and that she would chat with him after my procedures. Fast forward to current conditions with Omicron: DH will not be able to visit the surgical unit and will have to sit in the lobby or his car.

I hope you're enjoying the sunshine and warmth in Florida. It is bitterly cold back home in Michigan.

I am sure they are taking all precautions to keep their patients safe. Believe it or not we have had some cold weather here in Florida -----down into the 30s at night!!! I am always surprised when Florida gets cold!!!!

I haven't had problems with previous colonoscopies but have experienced some digestive issues over the past several months. All my labs/tests were fine, but gastro still wants colonoscopy and upper endoscopy to rule out anything serious. I will be 72 tomorrow and have a feeling that my aging digestive system is overly sensitive to certain foods and that the stress of the pandemic has also taken a toll. I'd rather be safe than sorry and will do the prep tomorrow and have the procedures on Friday morning.
Will be thinking of you!

I think ivermectin is an amazing drug, but I haven't seen any high quality evidence that it is effective in preventing or treating Covid. However, I'm keeping an open mind, and have been looking to see what the latest evidence is.

Here's a little of what I've dug up so far, including some information about what a meta analysis is, the potential pitfalls of relying on meta analysis if results from poor quality trials are included, and the importance of randomized placebo controlled trials (with large numbers of participants).

Meta-analysis - Wikipedia

Placebos in Clinical Trials

Ivermectin for Covid-19: abundance of hype, dearth of evidence

The lesson of ivermectin: meta-analyses based on summary data alone are inherently unreliable - Nature Medicine

Some information from the WHO, about newly recommended treatments:
COVID-19: WHO 'strongly recommends' arthritis drug for severe disease

UK RECOVERY trials:
Welcome — RECOVERY Trial

Covid Clinical Trials (USA websites):
Clinical Trials for Treatments

COVID-19 Studies from the World Health Organization Database - ClinicalTrials.gov

National Institutes of Health | Clinical Trials

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/clinical-trials/covid-19-clinical-trials

ETA: WHO table of recommended drug treatments for Covid 19, from The British Medical Journal (BMJ). Screenshot is from this link:
https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3379
All I know about Ivermectin is that we gave it to our horse to deworm and I had to give it to my puppy with mange. It’s also in heartworm prevention meds. The vet cautioned to wear gloves when dealing with it b/c it is a very nasty drug—a poison to kill very specific things at very specific, safe doses. I cannot imagine in a million years ingesting that against doctors advice and with no real dosing available. The studies used by some to promote it are very flawed and I’ve seen only one that had any effect on Covid virus at all, and it was a level high enough to kill a human many times over.
People think they know better than doctors because they repeatedly see it on fb and YouTube. It’s nuts. My friend has been an er doctor for decades (a very conservative Republican btw) and he thinks people have lost their d minds! There’s no science at the moment that would support taking something like that for a virus. HE wouldn’t take it, but absolutely took all vaccines, which probably saved his life since he of course got infected from his job. I just will never understand the stubbornness to not get an approved vaccine, but it’s fine to take whatever nutso treatment once you inevitably get it.

All I know about Ivermectin is that we gave it to our horse to deworm and I had to give it to my puppy with mange. It’s also in heartworm prevention meds. The vet cautioned to wear gloves when dealing with it b/c it is a very nasty drug—a poison to kill very specific things at very specific, safe doses. I cannot imagine in a million years ingesting that against doctors advice and with no real dosing available. The studies used by some to promote it are very flawed and I’ve seen only one that had any effect on Covid virus at all, and it was a level high enough to kill a human many times over.
People think they know better than doctors because they repeatedly see it on fb and YouTube. It’s nuts. My friend has been an er doctor for decades (a very conservative Republican btw) and he thinks people have lost their d minds! There’s no science at the moment that would support taking something like that for a virus. HE wouldn’t take it, but absolutely took all vaccines, which probably saved his life since he of course got infected from his job. I just will never understand the stubbornness to not get an approved vaccine, but it’s fine to take whatever nutso treatment once you inevitably get it.
If this were a disease with a long-standing protocol for treatment and readily available, inexpensive treatments, then I would agree whole-heartedly. I do, however, respect your perspective completely.
In my opinion, Ivermectin is a cheap drug that has been studied and approved for use in humans for different purposes than COVID. Because there are statistical and anecdotal assertions of effectiveness, it should be studied for COVID. Similar to Dex, it probably won't get much traction in more wealthy countries because it doesn't have any profit associated with it. JMO.
If I had a significant case of COVID and I couldn't get treatment (non-priority due to being vaccinated apparently, limited health care appointments available), in desperation, I might try it. If someone (medical professional) offered me a Pfizer COVID anti-viral or Ivermectin (for which human doses for other purposes are known), then I would definitely take the anti-viral.
I personally don't know anyone who wears gloves when deworming, fwiw.
But, again, totally respect that you would choose not to take Ivermectin.
JMO again.

If this were a disease with a long-standing protocol for treatment and readily available, inexpensive treatments, then I would agree whole-heartedly. I do, however, respect your perspective completely.
In my opinion, Ivermectin is a cheap drug that has been studied and approved for use in humans for different purposes than COVID. Because there are statistical and anecdotal assertions of effectiveness, it should be studied for COVID. Similar to Dex, it probably won't get much traction in more wealthy countries because it doesn't have any profit associated with it. JMO.
If I had a significant case of COVID and I couldn't get treatment (non-priority due to being vaccinated apparently, limited health care appointments available), in desperation, I might try it. If someone (medical professional) offered me a Pfizer COVID anti-viral or Ivermectin (for which human doses for other purposes are known), then I would definitely take the anti-viral.
JMO again.
I agree they should keep studying it as well as any possible treatments. The more the better IMO! If they figure out that Ivermectin at a certain dose is beneficial and not harmful and doctors and experts agree it is recommended, then I would take it if necessary. I just think society has lost the rational ability to defer to people who actually spend their lives researching this stuff. Questioning is fine, but there seems to be a mass paranoia that anything the government recommends is actually trying to kill us so we have to do the opposite and find our own treatments. And just the belief that what we research on the internet is better than the research scientists have been doing forever. It’s dangerous. There are gullible people who think the vaccine will kill them so they take their chances and think taking a bunch of dewormer will fix them if they do get it.

Since you’re vaccinated, odds are you won’t get a significant case of Covid and have to think about extreme treatments anyway. That’s such a better plan IMO. I’m not against treatments, research for treatments, especially cheap, common drugs, but I will listen to the professionals.

JMO again.
Also you’re right that most people don’t wear gloves to deworm, but our vet recommended that our daughter wear gloves when giving dewormer to the horse and when I gave the puppy meds for mange. He’s old school and said it really is nasty stuff. Just because it’s common doesn’t mean it’s harmless.

Thanks zecats. So far no better but thankfully no worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant