Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

Statement on the antigen composition of COVID-19 vaccines​

26 April 2024

• As the virus is expected to continue to evolve from JN.1, the TAG-CO-VAC advises the use of a monovalent JN.1 lineage as the antigen in future formulations of COVID-19 vaccines.
Well, that's unfortunate as JN.1 has taken 2nd place to KP.2.

What COVID-19 variant are we on? Currently, the dominant variant nationwide is KP.2, with 24.9% of cases, followed by JN.1, with 22% of cases, and JN.1.7, with 13.7% of cases. "The original omicron variant is gone now," says Dr. Rupp. "Currently subvariants of omicron are circulating, including KQ.1, BA.2, and GE.1."

Not only is it unfortunate, the trend is definitely showing that JN.1 (purple) is losing ground to KP.2 (gray). Also, it appears that KP.2 is growing at a faster pace (doubling) than JN.1 is declining (baby steps).

Oh well. They didn't ask for my opinion on which variant to use for the upcoming fall formula. :(

ETA - my bad. I meant to include the chart showing that KP.2 is growing faster than JN.1 is declining.

1714330188518.png

Last edited:
This is great news! While this info is specific to Oregon, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be far off of what is happening in other states and countries. I'd check your local health authority, or whatever organization tracks covid in your area for your info.

New data released this week show the number of adults hospitalized with COVID-19 in Oregon at its lowest point since June 2020, dropping about 34% during April. Additionally, the number of COVID-19 patients in hospital ICUs is at its lowest point since April 2020.

Data show 82 adults were hospitalized in Oregon with COVID-19 on April 30, six of whom were in the ICU. Additionally, test % positivity for COVID-19 is also at its lowest point (2.4%) since June 2020.

COVID-19 is still out there, and we expect case numbers to rise again, likely this fall/winter. Overall, however, community transmission is currently low.

“COVID-19 is still with us and will always be with us,” said Dr. Paul Cieslak, medical director for OHA’s communicable diseases and immunizations. “But I think there is substantial immunity to a number of variants within our population, and many of us have been vaccinated repeatedly with different variations of the virus.”

The virus is also far less likely to cause death than it once was.

I saw an interesting article about Covid vaccines and the risk of heart attacks. The study was in the British Medical Journal whose research involved more than 20 million people (half vaccinated, half not), so not exactly a small study group. It said that the vaccine reduced the risk of heart failure after a Covid infection by up to 55% and blood clots by up to 78%. The study said the lessoned cardiac risk was likely due to the fact the vaccine reduced the severity of Covid. This is great news for those that get vaccinated!

there has been concern about the risk of myocarditis and other thromboembolic events following vaccination, this analysis highlights that the risk of such complications is notably higher when it comes from the SARS-CoV-2 infection itself

Here is the research paper for anyone interested: https://heart.bmj.com/content/heartjnl/early/2024/01/24/heartjnl-2023-323483.full.pdf

Last edited:
I saw an interesting article about Covid vaccines and the risk of heart attacks. The study was in the British Medical Journal whose research involved more than 20 million people (half vaccinated, half not), so not exactly a small study group. It said that the vaccine reduced the risk of heart failure after a Covid infection by up to 55% and blood clots by up to 78%. The study said the lessoned cardiac risk was likely due to the fact the vaccine reduced the severity of Covid. This is great news for those that get vaccinated!

there has been concern about the risk of myocarditis and other thromboembolic events following vaccination, this analysis highlights that the risk of such complications is notably higher when it comes from the SARS-CoV-2 infection itself

Here is the research paper for anyone interested: https://heart.bmj.com/content/heartjnl/early/2024/01/24/heartjnl-2023-323483.full.pdf
Yes, another good reason to be vaccinated!

This is great news! While this info is specific to Oregon, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be far off of what is happening in other states and countries. I'd check your local health authority, or whatever organization tracks covid in your area for your info.

New data released this week show the number of adults hospitalized with COVID-19 in Oregon at its lowest point since June 2020, dropping about 34% during April. Additionally, the number of COVID-19 patients in hospital ICUs is at its lowest point since April 2020.

Data show 82 adults were hospitalized in Oregon with COVID-19 on April 30, six of whom were in the ICU. Additionally, test % positivity for COVID-19 is also at its lowest point (2.4%) since June 2020.

COVID-19 is still out there, and we expect case numbers to rise again, likely this fall/winter. Overall, however, community transmission is currently low.

“COVID-19 is still with us and will always be with us,” said Dr. Paul Cieslak, medical director for OHA’s communicable diseases and immunizations. “But I think there is substantial immunity to a number of variants within our population, and many of us have been vaccinated repeatedly with different variations of the virus.”

The virus is also far less likely to cause death than it once was.

It sounds like the Spanish Flu pandemic that started in 1916 and ended in 1920. It started for us in 2020, seems to be over in 2024. Who knows whether vaccines made it better in the long run.

I guess it depends on whether covid has gone away, or whether it's going to mutate with bird flu.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back