Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

I don't think there's been any recent change. I expect the new formulations, when there are any, might come out in the autumn, similar to flu vaccines.

In fact, when I looked at my covid vax card, I noticed that my shot from yesterday was from the *exact same batch* as my shot in October. A sign of how few people are getting the vax in my area, I guess.
Depends on what recent means to you. It was "recently" updated back in September 2023 to target Omicron XBB.1.5 and dropped the ancestral strain as well. I'm thinking they just might target every fall to change the formula to target whatever's going around. The last is my opinion. I wish they'd update it every 6 months since Covid mutates even quicker than that. But they didn't ask me! lol

In September and October 2023, the Food and Drug Administration approved and authorized updated 2023–2024 Formula monovalent XBB.1.5 component–containing COVID-19 vaccines, formulated to target current variants more closely, specifically Omicron variant XBB.1.5, for persons aged ≥6 months.

The World Health Organization in May said that its advisory group recommended that updated vaccines target an XBB strain of the virus and leave out the original version.

In fact, when I looked at my covid vax card, I noticed that my shot from yesterday was from the *exact same batch* as my shot in October. A sign of how few people are getting the vax in my area, I guess.
Yepper. I'm hoping it will get updated this fall. I couldn't find any news about that after doing a quick Goog. Anyone know?

Yepper. I'm hoping it will get updated this fall. I couldn't find any news about that after doing a quick Goog. Anyone know?

This article is behind a paywall for me, but it does say to expect an updated version in the fall. Researchers will likely wait until May to choose the strain they predict which will be most prevalent at the time. This info was from the director of the CDC, who Bloomberg interviewed. The article is dated March 4, 2024.

Very interestink... I'm really having to whittle down what the very short article says to keep within the 10% MSM copyright rule.

The new version of Moderna Inc.’s Covid-19 vaccine paves the way for a shot that’s easier to use and more potent for the elderly.

It triggered a stronger immune response against some Covid strains, notably in participants over age 65
It lasts longer when refrigerated, making it easier to distribute. The shot is also effective at a lower dose than the previous version.

Wow! Love these numbers. Now to get them to drop even lower!

Hospitalizations

As of the week ending March 2, there were 15,141 weekly new hospital admissions for COVID-19. according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

While this is on par with the number of weekly hospitalizations at the beginning of April 2024, this is much lower than the peak of 150,650 weekly hospitalizations recorded the week of Jan. 22, 2022, during the omicron wave.

Over the course of the pandemic, more than 6 million Americans have been hospitalized, CDC data shows.

Deaths

During the week of March 2, there were 576 weekly deaths, which is the lowest number recorded since summer 2023 and several times lower than the peak of 25,974 weekly deaths recorded the week ending Jan. 9, 2021.

Wow! Love these numbers. Now to get them to drop even lower!
Yes!

I'm in the process of determining whether I need surgery on my hip, and if it turns out that I do, I will push to get it done fast, like early this summer. Partly for personal logistical reasons, but also because I feel like we're in a covid lull, and if I have to spend a day or two in the hospital, this is a good time. I would be much more hesitant if we were in the midst of a spike.

Also, today I finished listening to the audiobook of a fabulously well done book about the first year of the virus. The book is titled "Nightmare Scenario: Inside the Trump Administration's Response to the Pandemic That Changed History", by Yasmeen Abutaleb and Damian Paletta. I highly recommend it! Goodreads link for info: Nightmare Scenario: Inside the Trump Administration's R…

Last edited:
Yes!

I'm in the process of determining whether I need surgery on my hip, and if it turns out that I do, I will push to get it done fast, like early this summer. Partly for personal logistical reasons, but also because I feel like we're in a covid lull, and if I have to spend a day or two in the hospital, this is a good time. I would be much more hesitant if we were in the midst of a spike.

Also, today I finished listening to the audiobook of a fabulously well done book about the first year of the virus. The book is titled "Nightmare Scenario: Inside the Trump Administration's Response to the Pandemic That Changed History", by Yasmeen Abutaleb and Damian Paletta. I highly recommend it! Goodreads link for info: Nightmare Scenario: Inside the Trump Administration's R…
Good luck with your surgery! Early summer is likely better than late summer as we tend to have a Covid spike every summer. I don't have a lot of data about that other than this.

Every summer since COVID-19 was declared a pandemic, the U.S. has seen an increase in SARS-CoV-2 infections. This may be due to the cyclical nature of the virus in which an increase in cases is followed by a quieter period only to see another rise in infections. These waves of infections may continue every year for the foreseeable future.

Yes!

It really was a nightmare for any administration, and thank goodness the Trump administration was able to get vaccines developed and given to Americans as quickly as possible - never heard of before, an incredible accomplishment. Also the closure for two weeks to stop the spread in mid-March of 2020. This gave the states time to figure out how to move forward with their schools, mobilize their health departments and hospitals, nursing homes, etc.

Very interestink... I'm really having to whittle down what the very short article says to keep within the 10% MSM copyright rule.

The new version of Moderna Inc.’s Covid-19 vaccine paves the way for a shot that’s easier to use and more potent for the elderly.

It triggered a stronger immune response against some Covid strains, notably in participants over age 65
It lasts longer when refrigerated, making it easier to distribute. The shot is also effective at a lower dose than the previous version.

Early last year, I spoke to our regional medical director regarding which brand (Pfizer vs Moderna) she recommended. Due to my age (I'm old) and health challenges, she recommended Moderna if my pharmacy carried both. She felt that very early data showed that Moderna had a slight edge. I don't know if her opinion has changed.

Early last year, I spoke to our regional medical director regarding which brand (Pfizer vs Moderna) she recommended. Due to my age (I'm old) and health challenges, she recommended Moderna if my pharmacy carried both. She felt that very early data showed that Moderna had a slight edge. I don't know if her opinion has changed.

Moderna are the vaccines (all of them - I think about 4 or 5 now) - and had no side effects.

Moderna are the vaccines (all of them - I think about 4 or 5 now) - and had no side effects.
We all react so differently to the vaccines! All the covid vaccines I have had have been Moderna and each time I have had to spent a day in bed with strong flu-like symptoms. On the other hand, all my husband's covid vaccines have been Pfizer, and he has had no side effects at all.

We all react so differently to the vaccines! All the covid vaccines I have had have been Moderna and each time I have had to spent a day in bed with strong flu-like symptoms. On the other hand, all my husband's covid vaccines have been Pfizer, and he has had no side effects at all.
I'm thinking it has more to do with the individual than which vaccine they had. I'll bet you two would have the same reactions has you've had in the past if you got the same brand sometime in the future.

Why do individuals have such different reactions to Covid-19 vaccines?

Put simply: We all have different immune systems. Our immune system is made up of two layers of defense: the innate and adaptive immune systems. The innate immune system is the one we’re born with, meaning it’s heavily influenced by our genetics. Our adaptive immune system evolves over time. It’s shaped by the pathogens and other substances in the environment that we’re exposed to over the course of our lives.

Some people's innate immune system is more reactive to certain stimuli, but not to the extent that it's bad for you,” says Nicholas Pullen, an immunologist and associate professor of biological sciences at the University of Northern Colorado.

Everyone’s immune system generates different levels of these chemicals based on what our bodies think we need. Some individuals release more of these chemicals than necessary, while other individuals have a more balanced immune response.

My first 4 were Pfizer the last one Moderna and that one made my arm hurt the most, no other side effects.

In the latest study, researchers isolated blood drawn from 55 people before and after they received an updated vaccine beginning last fall that targets the XBB.1.5 subvariant of the omicron variant of the virus.

They found a strong response in terms of the levels of antibodies generated, and their ability to neutralize the original strain of SARS-CoV-2 plus new variants that have emerged since the novel coronavirus arrived in late 2019. Importantly, the vaccine appeared to generate a strong response against the JN.1 variant that is now circulating broadly worldwide – suggesting regularly updating the vaccine will be useful in confronting emerging variants

Following longest known chronic SARS-CoV-2 infection of 613 days, experts highlight the risk of development of novel potentially immune-evasive SARS-CoV-2 variants due to persistent infections in immunocompromised patients:

People who are moderately or severely immunocompromised, are aged 12 and older, and who weigh at least 88 pounds may be eligible to get Pemivibart (Pemgarda™), a monoclonal antibody authorized to help protect against COVID-19. Pemgarda may provide another layer of protection against COVID-19 in addition to protection provided through vaccination, and can be given at least 2 weeks after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.

Update on status of Bird Flu/H5N1 in the U.S. and its transmission to dairy cattle in eight U.S. states. As a precaution, the government is stockpiling Tamiflu which would be effective IF there would be human transmission and an outbreak in the future. And although the virus has been found in milk, it is not live virus, which would be unlikely given pasteurization.

The planning is just in case a worse-case possible scenario would occur, so far there has only been one reported case of human transmission of bird flu, and this was to a person who worked in the industry. Fortunately, his only symptom was pink eye. Poultry and dairy organizations are now facing stringent testing regulations and monitored closely.

Last edited:

Statement on the antigen composition of COVID-19 vaccines​

26 April 2024

• “SARS-CoV-2 continues to circulate and evolve with important genetic and antigenic evolution of the spike protein.

• The objective of an update to COVID-19 vaccine antigen composition is to enhance vaccine-induced immune responses to circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants.

• As the virus is expected to continue to evolve from JN.1, the TAG-CO-VAC advises the use of a monovalent JN.1 lineage as the antigen in future formulations of COVID-19 vaccines.

• In accordance with WHO SAGE policy, vaccination programmes should continue to use any of the WHO emergency-use listed or prequalified COVID-19 vaccines and vaccination should not be delayed in anticipation of access to vaccines with an updated composition.”

* more at link

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Contrary Marge