Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he has been wonderful. IMO, he is literally the only governer in the entire country that jumped all over this crisis.

Other governers are all playing catch up.
Governors of very populated states have a heck of a lot more to deal with than rural states but it sounds to me like the health departments in those very populated states did not take the initial reports seriously and didn't apprise their governors. This is now a very delicate balancing act that involves shifting of resources, including inventory and workers, to the states that are experiencing shortages.

Nebraska's governor was on top of this with the CDC BEFORE the Princess cruise ship passengers arrived for quarantine in February but in public briefings, he has had the health department experts take the lead. They are the ones communicating with the CDC and with the public and it has been very reassuring. So far, ZERO deaths and now Nebraska Medicine has developed a sterilization method to reuse PPE equipment and the technique should help immensely with the shortage of PPE elsewhere.
JMO

“The shortage of PPE is a nationwide issue – each and every one of these items is increasingly precious,” said Mark Rupp, MD, chief of the infectious diseases division at UNMC. “Although we were well prepared, our supplies were beginning to dwindle. We had to find a way to keep our providers and patients safe, and this will definitely help us achieve that goal.”

The masks are bagged and taken to a room inside the hospital which is equipped with two UV light towers. It is then hung on wires that stretch across the room. The lights are then turned on, decontaminating the items.

“The shortage has forced us to be innovative,” said Dr. Lowe. “While these items weren’t meant to be used more than once, this is a 100% safe way to extend their useful life. Other major hospital systems in the U.S. have also started to implement this method for the same reason we are.”

Nebraska Medicine pioneering method to decontaminate personal protective equipment - KLKN-TV

Just hang in and know, even though this may take awhile, it will pass and we will be able to get back to some form of normalcy again. Remember, to do some nice things for yourself so you can relax and alleviate some of the worry. I will pray for you. It is not easy. Stay safe.
Thanks sky. This week has been a rollercoaster. I can’t believe it’s taken this long to shut down.. I was convinced the whole country was going to be shut down last weekend. It was painful watching this drag out all week, knowing what was to come. I worry it’s too little too late, but I guess there’s no sense in dwelling on what should have been. Like you said, we will all get through it together. Hugs

Yesssss!!! We just got her at 1:30 today! This is Athena. She is 5 years old. She had an unexpected surgery this morning to be spayed because another appointment was cancelled. So she is on the struggle bus for sure. Walks like she’s drunk. Pain meds and antibiotics for a bit.

Quiet, shy, housebroken and looked terribly guilty for throwing up on the rug. I told her it was ok. She loves the backyard and watches the planes go overhead. The squirrels are sitting in the oak tree squawking like crazy. She keeps looking up at them.

She appears to have been neglected and may have had puppies in the last year. Her skin is in rough shape. She came from a couple counties away. I suspect she’s had a rough time of it recently. She will blossom here I’m sure.
Aw....I love her! I can't wait to see how she flourishes in a safe, happy home. What a blessing for you and her. Please keep us updated...I mean, pupdated, on her. We could all use the happy distraction. Congratulations!

I have become a food hoarder. I don't throw away the leftovers as I used to do...even after a few days. I have some weird food paranoias that I'm having to get over real fast. I only eat 2 breakfast biscuits instead of the pack of 4. I have already lost 2 pounds more after the 8 I lost from having the flu in January.

same here although we did start using up leftovers in the new year primarily be less wasteful for new year's resolution but now I'm also cooking less and if we have leftovers, it becomes part of next day's dinner, although the raccoons do get the stale bread

RUSSIA....wow, sound familiar....

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A reported sharp increase in pneumonia cases in the Russian capital and contradictory information around the issue is fuelling fears about the accuracy of official coronavirus data which remains much lower than many European countries.
A sharp spike in pneumonia cases in Moscow, Russia's biggest transport hub and a city with a population of around 13 million, has further raised doubts.

"I have a feeling they (the authorities) are lying to us," said Anastasia Vasilyeva, head of Russia's Doctor’s Alliance trade union.

The government says its statistics are accurate however, and President Vladimir Putin has complained that Russia is being targeted by fake news to sow panic.

Sharp increase in Moscow pneumonia cases fuels fears over coronavirus statistics

Just hang in and know, even though this may take awhile, it will pass and we will be able to get back to some form of normalcy again. Remember, to do some nice things for yourself so you can relax and alleviate some of the worry. I will pray for you. It is not easy. Stay safe.

You are so sweet, thank you. And let’s say it for the people in the back - DO SOMETHING NICE FOR YOURSELF AND TAKE CARE OF *YOU*

This is another good article on masks. N95 works best, but surgical masks also help catching particles. So I think there is no doubt when we were advice to not wear masks, it was a really really bad advice.
"Conclusion: Masks – including surgical mask and N95 mask – can capture tiny particles over 10 times smaller than the coronavirus."
Can Masks Protect People from The Coronavirus? - Smart Air Filters
I've been wearing masks religiously. And plastic gloves. I had to fly out of LAX and back into LAX, just 2 weeks ago. Having my mask and gloves on made me feel more comfortable and I think it helped. Especially when I used the kiosk to get my boarding pass and sat on the plane. I didnt use my tray at all and never touched it.

But sitting in that plane and breathing the recycled air, I felt better having a mask on. And I have no symptoms now, 2 weeks after I flew back home.

I flew up North to visit my 89 yr old Mom. I am glad I went because her assisted living complex is now on total lockdown. Spending that 10 days with her was great so I could help her understand what is going on now.

She doesn't have any symptoms either. Thank Goodness.

DeSantis (Florida) is giving a live new conference. I can't find a link yet, but he stated Covid-19 is in two assisted living facilities in Broward Co. Apparently food and maintenance workers who were sick were permitted to work in the building.

I can't tell you how frustrating this is to me.:mad::mad:

ALBANY, Ga. — With a severe shortage of face masks, volunteers are offering a solution to health care workers on the front lines of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The answer: a handmade, washable prototype mask which health care workers could place over disposable, N95 masks.

"It's something I enjoy doing and it's something I felt like I could do for the community," said Belinda Wright, a volunteer who helps sew the reusable masks.

Scott Steiner, CEO of Phoebe Putney, told ABC News the lack of N95 masks are a concern as they help protect doctors and nurses from contracting infectious diseases.

The U.S. has a stockpile of 13 million N-95 respirator masks. But the federal government has said up to a billion might be needed over the next six months.

Volunteers sewing face masks for Georgia health care heroes amid COVID-19 crisis

You are so sweet, thank you. And let’s say it for the people in the back - DO SOMETHING NICE FOR YOURSELF AND TAKE CARE OF *YOU*
A month or more ago I bought ingredients for peanut butter cookies, to go bake with my 4 yr old grand daughter. Now we won't be doing that for awhile, so my hubby and I just baked them for ourselves. Pretty tasty, I have to say. The simple things are so appreciated right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_175016.png
    IMG_20200320_175016.png
    174.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Let me know if you have any questions on the new pup, I work for a vet and animal rescue. My vet recommends fish oil and we feed a fish based food (Sportmix Wholesomes Fish and Rice), which seems to help their skin and coat.

WHY OH WHY IS THIS MAN NOT IN CHARGE...

THREAD: We must advance therapeutics fast. That requires proper clinical trials, through master protocol where patients in need are randomized to therapy that's already shown indication of effectiveness in earlier studies, but a crash program to scale up manufacturing in parallel.

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

It wasn't an early information from China. Chinese tend to wear masks as it is, even if there is no epidemic. It was our authorities telling us that masks won't help.

It was medical authorities, though. Many. More than a few.

A one time use of a mask is okay - but that's not how the vast majority of people use them. People distribute them in classrooms or churches or among their friends. Everyone gets one and uses one indefinitely. They have layers that are not susceptible to disinfection (nor should anyone be breathing irritants like Lysol). There are special disinfects that can be used on such objects (I have CPAP disinfectant) but the regular masks still won't be safe.

If you're going to use a regular face mask or a homemade one, have several. Avoid having to wear it by staying inside and then washing it in very hot water before rewearing. Bleach in the wash water won't hurt.

GEEZ....I WONDER WHY..(SARCASM)

Update: Senator Loeffler has backed out of our interview set for this afternoon. Promises to reschedule soon. Will discuss with @lorigearymedia , @LordTinsdale , and @TharonJohnson tonight.
Russ Spencer on Twitter

Maybe he's figuring out the best way to "spin" the allegations that he utilized inside info to profit from "well timed" sales of his shares.
Maybe he'll come out and announce that he's planning to donate a cool million to help people in need during this pandemic. Probably not, though. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikishaF