Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think they want verification that you had it. However, I wish they would get to people who think they had it who could give blood and plasma... and they would find out if they had antibodies. That's probably phase 9.

Maybe the Red Cross could check as part of their blood donation processing.

By the time New York City confirmed its first case of the coronavirus on March 1, thousands of infections were already silently spreading through the city, a hidden explosion of a disease that many still viewed as a remote threat as the city awaited the first signs of spring.

Hidden outbreaks were also spreading almost completely undetected in Boston, San Francisco, Chicago and Seattle, long before testing showed that each city had a major problem, according to a model of the spread of the disease by researchers at Northeastern University who shared their results with The New York Times.

Even in early February — while the world focused on China — the virus was not only likely to be spreading in multiple American cities, but also seeding blooms of infection elsewhere in the United States, the researchers found.

In five major U.S. cities, as of March 1 there were only 23 confirmed cases of coronavirus. But according to the Northeastern model, there could have actually been about 28,000 infections in those cities by then.

Interesting graphic at link;
Hidden Outbreaks Spread Through U.S. Cities Far Earlier Than Americans Knew, Estimates Say

ETA: I couldn’t delete the attached file. It’s the graphic in the link, but there is more to it.

Additionally from the above link:

“In five major U.S. cities, as of March 1 there were only 23 confirmed casesof coronavirus.

But according to the Northeastern model, there could have actually been about 28,000 infections in those cities by then.”

[...]

“Other disease researchers said the findings of Dr. Vespignani’s team were broadly in line with their own analyses. The research offers the first clear accounting of how far behind the United States was in detecting the virus. And the findings provide a warning of what can recur, the researchers say, if social distancing restrictions are lifted too quickly.”

[...]

“And more cases may have been arriving in the United States by the day.

“Knowing the number of flights coming into New York from Italy, it was like watching a horrible train wreck in slow motion,” said Adriana Heguy, director of the Genome Technology Center at New York University’s Grossman School of Medicine.”

[...]

“A few cities with early outbreaks, notably Seattle, are believed to have avoided enormous growth later by heeding the models available at the time and taking action well ahead of the rest of the country.

“We knew the numbers we saw were just the tip of the iceberg, and that there were much greater numbers below the surface,” said Jenny A. Durkan, the mayor of Seattle, in an interview. “We had to act.”

00HIDDEN-OUTBREAKS2-articleLarge.jpg

A highway sign in Seattle on April 15.Credit...Ruth Fremson/The New York Times

Last edited:
I hope to travel to Idaho the end of June, if our event isn't cancelled. Do you have any thoughts, or have you heard anything, about prices for airline tickets when states begin to open up. Oh one hand, I think the travel industry will be lowering prices to entice people to get out of their homes, and the other hand says they need the money and will go for all they can get price wise. Just asking

MOO
You should check with the airline as you get closer to your event. My older bro works in operations for an airline and he said passenger traffic is wayyyyyyyy down and hundreds of planes are parked.

JMO

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
We now have data from New York, China, Wuhan on how patients with severe covid fared and can make rough comparisons on key clinical measures. Intubation and mortality higher in New York, but U.S. patients seemed to decompensate more rapidly, perhaps reflecting more co-morbidities
EWUDmuDU4AIBKgH.png

4:02 PM - 23 Apr 2020

Among other notable findings, mortality for those requiring mechanical ventilation in New York was 88.1%. The median length of stay for those who died was 4.8 days.
The full study evaluating New York experience can be found here: Clinical Characteristics, Comorbidities, and Outcomes Among Patients With COVID-19 Hospitalized in the NYC Area
EWUFeEHUMAAntM9.jpg

4:04 PM - 23 Apr 2020

However, we need to be careful interpreting the data from the patients in the New York series since the denominator is still not settled -- the rates can change perhaps significantly depending on what happens with the large number of patients still being treated.
4:09 PM - 23 Apr 2020

More analysis of the data from NY today of 21% exposure to covid on seroprevalence study: finding fits within prior estimates that 1/10 to 1/20 covid cases likely being diagnosed. Also consistent with prior CFRs; here infection fatality rate 1% (17,000 deaths / 1.7M infections). Trevor Bedford on Twitter
4:40 PM - 23 Apr 2020

Maybe the Red Cross could check as part of their blood donation processing.

They will when there is a reliable validated test available that is performed on a blood sample.

It will take some time to be good enough to screen the blood donor population.

It took almost a year to develop a test that could be reliably used to screen donor blood for Zika virus exposure. And that was a relatively straight forward assay.

SARS-Cov-2 is proving to be a much more difficult virus to figure out

“”UMass Memorial Medical Center has completed its first dosing of a critically ill COVID-19 patient with plasma, and the results are encouraging! After hours of transfusion the patient has dramatically improved overall and is now starting to wean off of the ventilator after having required near maximal settings to oxygenate him prior to the plasma transfusion,” the hospital wrote in a news release.”

Wow. I just looked at some photos of Bozeman.
Breathtaking views, and beautiful down town core.
What a beautiful town. Little piece of paradise, there.

Montana has always been on my "bucket" list... from "A River Runs Through It" and "Legends of the Fall" and people I know who will never move back...it does sound like a wonderful place. I understand it is becoming invaded by lots of West Coast escapees however... Do you sense that...or is Bozeman tourist-friendly??

By the time New York City confirmed its first case of the coronavirus on March 1, thousands of infections were already silently spreading through the city, a hidden explosion of a disease that many still viewed as a remote threat as the city awaited the first signs of spring.

Hidden outbreaks were also spreading almost completely undetected in Boston, San Francisco, Chicago and Seattle, long before testing showed that each city had a major problem, according to a model of the spread of the disease by researchers at Northeastern University who shared their results with The New York Times.

Even in early February — while the world focused on China — the virus was not only likely to be spreading in multiple American cities, but also seeding blooms of infection elsewhere in the United States, the researchers found.

In five major U.S. cities, as of March 1 there were only 23 confirmed cases of coronavirus. But according to the Northeastern model, there could have actually been about 28,000 infections in those cities by then.

Interesting graphic at link;
Hidden Outbreaks Spread Through U.S. Cities Far Earlier Than Americans Knew, Estimates Say

ETA: I couldn’t delete the attached file. It’s the graphic in the link, but there is more to it.

Suddenly I want an antibody test.

In February- early March, I had a 2.5 week "down-period". I was running at 80% and a couple of short bouts of 50% where I felt slightly feverish. I remember feeling my head and checking my temperature a couple of times (nothing). These % numbers are what went actually through my head at the time, because I thought it the lack of energy and feeling off was unusual for me. Still went to work, where I had a co-worker that had something similar and before me.

I never considered CV since it was before the outbreak in MA. But I work close to the initial outbreak, so I'd be interested in a test result now.

Same with Aubuchon here. They also have great weird stuff you may need-like a battery for my thermometer that no one else had and since no stores had thermometers I needed a battery for my hypochondriac husband whose temperature was, of course, normal.

Go to your local Ace Hardware, if you have one. The ban on sales of garden supplies and paint is only at the big box stores that are 50,000 SQ FT or greater, such as Walmart and Meijers. ACE stores are only 10,000 SqFt and so they are open with their normal inventory. You can buy some things online and pick up at the store to minimize your time there:
Paint, Lawn and Garden sales continue at Ishpeming Ace Hardware

Find an Ace Hardware Store Near You Today! - Ace Hardware

Thank you. I will try that!

Kali, you may have said this previously, but I'll never be able to catch up with the reading here- my question: Have you contacted your local government rep. yet regarding both your stimulus checks and getting a loan from the SBA now that the additional legislative bill has been passed?
We're in NYS and received the stimulus deposits on the actual day the Treasury Dept. said people would, although they did make it clear that those receiving paper checks in the mail would have a bit longer wait. I know those folks who have gone online to check on their stimulus have been successful in getting info.
I mention contacting your local state govt. rep. because we did that ourselves, via FB messaging, and got an immediate response from our NYS Assemblyman. He and his office are doing what they can to help us with the huge mess NYS's unemployment system is in. Supposedly it was "fixed," but it hasn't been. We are not the only one's suffering re: getting our claim finalized and getting some help. I totally empathize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikishaF