Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel similarly. I'm in far western MA and our local outbreak was mostly due to a nursing home. But we spent several days in NYC in early March for knee surgery for my husband. It was the last few days before things got serious and I was being very careful with wipes and hand sanitizer and not letting interns touch my husband. But a couple weeks later we were both sick with flu like symptoms. Mine turned into what I deemed was a sinus infection and I did take antibiotics and it did go away. But I really wonder after hearing about the antibody tests in Chelsea and NY. My bff is a Pathologist and she's been saying she thinks it was spreading for a while and many more people have had it. Personally I just hate not knowing things so am really curious about who has the antibodies and then, just what that means since we really don't know what immunity it confers if any.

Suddenly I want an antibody test.

In February- early March, I had a 2.5 week "down-period". I was running at 80% and a couple of short bouts of 50% where I felt slightly feverish. I remember feeling my head and checking my temperature a couple of times (nothing). These % numbers are what went actually through my head at the time, because I thought it the lack of energy and feeling off was unusual for me. Still went to work, where I had a co-worker that had something similar and before me.

I never considered CV since it was before the outbreak in MA. But I work close to the initial outbreak, so I'd be interested in a test result now.

Montana has always been on my "bucket" list... from "A River Runs Through It" and "Legends of the Fall" and people I know who will never move back...it does sound like a wonderful place. I understand it is becoming invaded by lots of West Coast escapees however... Do you sense that...or is Bozeman tourist-friendly??

We spent a wonderful few days in Bozeman went we went to Yellowstone. We found it very tourist-friendly and very welcoming in general. I'd go back in a heartbeat (I'm from Texas). I have a local friend who went there for six weeks at a time several summers in a row.

Rsbm:
FDNY firefighter's 5-month-old daughter has died from coronavirus
A New York City firefighter's 5-month-old daughter has died due to coronavirus complications, according to the president of the FDNY Hispanic Society.

[...]

Read more here. :(

“Jay-Natalie loved "loved music and enjoyed hearing it during bath time and car rides. She loved to be sung to, enjoyed watching bright colors, hearing mommy and daddy's voice, being kissed and hugged and most of all being rocked to sleep. She despised tummy time, but found comfort in her rattle," La Santa wrote.

"We call her the Warrior Princess because she fought Covid-19 like nobody's business!!!! Her fight inspired all of the nurses, doctors and staff members that knew her," La Santa continued. "Her purpose was served and she was called home on 4/20/2020. We thought we were having a baby, but had an angel instead."“

Just to clarify a point:

Donating blood in a regular blood drive will not get you tested for SARS-Cov-2 antibodies or antigens.

You must be a confirmed COVID-19 PCR or NAAT ( swab test) positive by a licensed laboratory or state public health department to be eligible.
So are they still accepting regular blood donations without asking CV questions or taking temperature for example? Anyone given blood recently? I have not donated for some time.

Montana has always been on my "bucket" list... from "A River Runs Through It" and "Legends of the Fall" and people I know who will never move back...it does sound like a wonderful place. I understand it is becoming invaded by lots of West Coast escapees however... Do you sense that...or is Bozeman tourist-friendly??

Always tourist friendly. And personally, I have lived in big cities, many other places. I would never want to live anywhere but Montana.

Especially during this pandemic. It really makes a difference to live in an area with low population density.

I feel similarly. I'm in far western MA and our local outbreak was mostly due to a nursing home. But we spent several days in NYC in early March for knee surgery for my husband. It was the last few days before things got serious and I was being very careful with wipes and hand sanitizer and not letting interns touch my husband. But a couple weeks later we were both sick with flu like symptoms. Mine turned into what I deemed was a sinus infection and I did take antibiotics and it did go away. But I really wonder after hearing about the antibody tests in Chelsea and NY. My bff is a Pathologist and she's been saying she thinks it was spreading for a while and many more people have had it. Personally I just hate not knowing things so am really curious about who has the antibodies and then, just what that means since we really don't know what immunity it confers if any.

You just made me think of our resident pathologist who haven't seen on the threads in quite some time, I wonder how she is doing up in the Northeast. @joypath

Can you explain more? Why is the size of the vein an issue.

I don't know. I just know that I offered to donate plasma once at work, and I was assessed, they told me that I couldn't donate plasma. Not sure why. Maybe some medical person here can explain why...I used to donate blood, but when they started the 15 page questionnaire prior to donation, or whatever it is now, I wasn't eligible either.

Not really sure. ?

One of our local hospitals in St. Landry parish is using hyperbaric chamber on Covid-19 patients. The patients were able to leave ICU. Hopefully this is a promising step in treatment of Covid-19.
I was thinking about the old iron lung machines that people used to be put in. They are pretty much obsolete now but are they similar?

Primarily they were used for polio victims.

Iron lung - Wikipedia

Video of the Week: "The Last Few Polio Survivors" | History of Vaccines

Last edited:

From the above link:

“The theory is that nicotine could adhere to cell receptors, therefore blocking the virus from entering cells and spreading in the body, according to renowned neurobiologist Jean-Pierre Changeux from France's Pasteur Institut who also co-authored the study.

The researchers are awaiting approval from health authorities in France to carry out further clinical trials.

They plan to use nicotine patches on health workers at the Pitie-Salpetriere hospital in Paris -- where the initial research was conducted -- to see if it protects them against contracting the virus.

They have also applied to use the patches on hospitalised patients to see whether it helps reduce symptoms and also on more serious intensive care patients, Amoura said.

The researchers are looking into whether nicotine could help to prevent "cytokine storms", a rapid overreaction of the immune system that scientists think could play a key role in fatal COVID-19 cases.”

Chatted with a friend today. With time on her hands during lockdown, she contacted a local volunteer organization (the kind that is like a clearinghouse, that matches volunteers with projects depending on their skills, interest, location, etc.).

They told her they were no longer accepting volunteers over the age of 50 as they are in a vulnerable group for Covid. :(

I was thinking about the old iron lung machines that people used to be put in. They are pretty much obsolete now but are they similar?
Wellstar Kennestone Hospital has 2 they use. They also make portable ones people can use at home.
They are mostly used for wound therapy at the hospital I believe.
Moo

Rutgers Saliva Testing

Gov. Phil Murphy said Thursday that COVID-19 cases in New Jersey are almost at 100,000 as the hard-hit Garden State continues to aggressively test for the deadly virus.

On Thursday, the total number of COVID-19 cases in New Jersey jumped to 99,989, with more than 4,000 new cases reported.

At least 5,368 people have died from coronavirus-related complications with 307 more deaths reported over the past 24 hours. Preexisting conditions like cardiovascular disease (60%) and diabetes (42%) have been prevalent in deaths of people with underlying conditions.

Murphy says he thinks the state needs to double the number of tests it does daily.
The state would need to ramp up testing beyond just symptomatic people before reopening its economy.

Some testing sites are using a saliva test developed by Rutgers University. That saliva-based test is going to be used starting next week at five state developmental centers, Murphy said.

"This is a total of more than 5,500 tests – more than 1,200 residents, and in excess of 4,300 staff," Murphy said.

As the Rutgers-developed testing expands -- up to 10,000 tests can be done a day within a couple of weeks, according to Rutgers -- Murphy wants more state workers tested.

The Rutgers' saliva test in 100% accurate compared to a traditional swab test in the nose, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences Chancellor Dr. Brian Strom said.

Governor Phil Murphy said at a Thursday press briefing that test results now take five to seven days, rather than two weeks. The state has at least 86 testing sites, some using a rapid analysis developed by Rutgers, the state university. That could prevent “boomerang outbreaks,” the governor said.

Brian Strom, a medical doctor and chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, said the school has developed two FDA-approved coronavirus tests. One returns results in 40 minutes. Another, based on a saliva sample, delivers results in 24 hours and requires no swabs and little, if any, personal protective equipment, and is being used in some drive-through sites, Strom said at a Trenton news conference.

The biggest need right now, Strom said, was 20 to 30 technicians to process the results. “We don’t need the swabs -- we don’t need the viral media,” Strom said. “The equipment is gettable.”

NJ Gov. Murphy Pushes for More Testing as Coronavirus Cases Near 100,000

N.J. Expanding Virus Testing With Cases on Brink of 100,000

Shoot.......I thought I read “Sativa “ testing........oh well.

Last two weeks, up and down Main street in Bozeman, MT, there have been lots of moving trucks. Small businesses are folding left and right. In what used to be a busy, touristy area. It is really sad.

Off subject. @mickey2942, Out of curiousity, are you familiar with a food truck or restaurant called Mo'Bowls?

A friend I grew up with in NJ, her two sons started with a food truck, then opened a restaurant a few years ago in Bozeman. Sunset magazine had a contest last summer, "Reader's Choice 2019 Travel Awards," and they won for best food truck. I truly hope their business is ok and makes it.

I agree @Tadpole12 I never get tired of seeing the photos my friend posts, breathtaking!

Last edited:
From the above link:

“The theory is that nicotine could adhere to cell receptors, therefore blocking the virus from entering cells and spreading in the body, according to renowned neurobiologist Jean-Pierre Changeux from France's Pasteur Institut who also co-authored the study.

The researchers are awaiting approval from health authorities in France to carry out further clinical trials.

They plan to use nicotine patches on health workers at the Pitie-Salpetriere hospital in Paris -- where the initial research was conducted -- to see if it protects them against contracting the virus.

They have also applied to use the patches on hospitalised patients to see whether it helps reduce symptoms and also on more serious intensive care patients, Amoura said.

The researchers are looking into whether nicotine could help to prevent "cytokine storms", a rapid overreaction of the immune system that scientists think could play a key role in fatal COVID-19 cases.”
Just nicotine or would pot do the job? Asking for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member