GUILTY CT - Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, & 2 daughters killed in home invasion, 23 July 2007

I just cannot read about this trial..I know enough that
it makes me sick. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
The father will never be the same. I pray with all my might this ba^$(!d gets the death penalty..If I was younger I'd travel to see both of them die..:sick::sick:

sad that we do not have more following this trial. The New York Times is covering it, also CNN.

I'm surprised too. I recall the board being packed for SH's trial. Maybe it's too horrific for some folks to sit through a second time.

Court emergency. The court is being evacuated and reporters' tweets are saying sirens can be heard.

Reporters saying it's chaotic as people try to get back into the courthouse.

This man (saint) reminds me how good we can/should be, he reminds me what a crybaby I am. He also reminds me that the Komisarjevsky family didn't commit this crime.

Blessed are the peacemakers...

Earlier Tuesday, as spectators first settled into their seats, Hawke-Petit's father approached Komisarjevsky's father, Benedict Komisarjevsky, who was sitting with a defense team member, and put out his hand.

"I just wanted to say I am sorry about what happened," the Rev. Richard Hawke said as he shook his hand. "God bless you."
Benedict Komisarjevsky nodded. Later, Hawke Petit said the father also asked God to bless him. When asked about the gesture, Hawke said, "He's a human being and he looked like he needed some of the strength and support that all of my family has."
( http://www.courant.com/community/ch...sky-day2-0921-20110920,0,5391513.story?page=3 )

Doesnt sound like much will get done today since the fire alarms went off and evacuated the court for a short time. ONly got partly through the remaining recorded statement from JK. He gave more info on the assault on Michaela and the murder of Mrs. Petit. JK sticking with his story that it was Hayes that insisted the family be killed and it was Hayes that poured the gasoline. Honestly, whose idea it was, who poured it/lit it, may not matter in the end. Even if that is true, JK's involvement would still qualify as capital murder.

JK describing on audio tape how Hayes poured the gas. It would seem improbable that JK was just standing there while Hayes did this.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion...r-komisarjevsky-0921-20110921,0,6178410.story

Opinion piece from Courant.
snipped

Having served as a prosecutor, I know that it is possible to zealously defend a client while treating others, including the victim, in a respectful and dignified manner. I have seen countless defense attorneys pursuing justice for their clients without attacking or degrading the victim. It's easy to adopt an us vs. them mentality, but it takes true grace to work to protect your client's rights while causing no harm to others, especially a crime victim. Those are the skills of a talented and exceptional attorney.

JK describing on audio tape how Hayes poured the gas. It would seem improbable that JK was just standing there while Hayes did this.

I happen to believe that Komisarjevsky intended leaving them all alive when they initially decided to rob that family, he continued to be forensically aware throughout the crime, if he had any intent on killing them he would not still have his gloves on when arrested, he would have had no need to make Michaela shower to get rid of his semen and DNA, his face would not have been hidden from his victims,

it was Hayes who had left prints and DNA all over the house and on the body of Mrs Petit, it was Hayes who raped and strangled Mrs Petit, Komisarjevsky left his rape victim alive after the attack, it was Hayes who poured the gas and lit the flames he has admitted all that

he is as guilty of murder though as he should have released the girls from there beds instead of watching as Hayes set the fire and trying to flee, he knew at that point that it was highly likely the girls would be killed, but I do fully believe he had no intent to murder that night when he went to rob the house, I do think though that he chose that family because of his sexual interest in young girls knowing there would be young girls in the house

I'm glad the one woman juror stared back at Kom when he looked at the jury.

I agree with you joe about Komisarjevsky's initial intention. He could have stopped Hayes, however, before he even went for gas but it was his opportunity to sexually assault Mikaela.

Nowhere does Komisarjevsky say he tried to talk Hayes out of it or stop him from pouring the gas. He ran out of that house knowing the victims were tied up and didn't have a chance.

I'm undecided on what JK's intent was at the beginning as far as the killing. I do agree that the it appears that JK's sexual interest in the girl was what led them to the house in the first place. His beating of Dr. Petit to start it off shows that JK certainly wasn't opposed to extreme violence. The wearing of gloves and covering faces (which you mostly have to just take JK's word on that) could certainly have been just to keep his options open and or provide extra level of protection. And remember JK said he asked Michaela if she wanted to shower, didnt tell her to (for whatever that is worth). I can't say when the idea to kill them was hatched, but I do believe it was a mutual agreement. It just doesnt seem logical to me that JK would have continued to participate if he was opposed to killing them, knowing that Hayes intended to burn them all up. Also, Joe, I don't believe that Hayes admitted pouring the gas and/or lighting the match did he? If he did I missed that or forgot it. I believe there was gasoline found on both men's pants wasnt there?

I'm glad the one woman juror stared back at Kom when he looked at the jury.

I agree with you joe about Komisarjevsky's initial intention. He could have stopped Hayes, however, before he even went for gas but it was his opportunity to sexually assault Mikaela.

Nowhere does Komisarjevsky say he tried to talk Hayes out of it or stop him from pouring the gas. He ran out of that house knowing the victims were tied up and didn't have a chance.

It's my understanding that the first of the two offenders to sexually abuse the girls was Komisarjevsky. He sexually assaulted the little girl while Hayes and Mrs. Petit were at the bank. And the gas was not bought until after Hayes had returned with the mother and learned from Komisarjevsky that he sexually assaulted the little girl. Then the rape and murder occurred of the mother after that revelation. And then more than likely they BOTH decided to kill the entire family. I have no illusions that either one did not fully intend for the entire family to die in the fire.

But IMO based on the timeline. The escalation of violence and assaults did not start with Hayes it was started by Komisarjevsky.

It's my understanding that the first of the two offenders to sexually abuse the girls was Komisarjevsky. He sexually assaulted the little girl while Hayes and Mrs. Petit were at the bank. And the gas was not bought until after Hayes had returned with the mother and learned from Komisarjevsky that he sexually assaulted the little girl. Then the rape and murder occurred of the mother after that revelation. And then more than likely they BOTH decided to kill the entire family. I have no illusions that either one did not fully intend for the entire family to die in the fire.

But IMO based on the timeline. The escalation of violence and assaults did not start with Hayes it was started by Komisarjevsky.

the gas was bought way before they went to the bank, once they got back from the bank Hayes then raped and killed Mrs Petit as the police were either outside the house or very near to the house

I think Komisarjevsky had ample opportunity to kill the 3 victims who remained at the house whilst Hayes was at the bank, he killed none of them, there was no murder until Hayes returned,

I think they are both culpable under the law for murder, but I don't think Komisarjevsky ever intended to kill anybody, I am not sure if Hayes did pre going to the house, but from his actions in strangling Mrs Petit I believe he intended to kill them all before leaving that morning including Dr Petit, and he had decided to rape and kill Mrs Petit on his way home from the bank,

whichever way it went Hayes poured the gas and set fire to it, Komisarjevsky did not stop him, nor did he untie the girls and get them out of the house pre the fire, and we have 3 dead victims, who suffered an horrendous ordeal, 2 of them were raped, and there family have suffered unmeasurable grief and trauma,

JK may not have intended to kill anyone when he first entered the house, but his brutal beating of Dr. Petit signaled his intent to do just that. Those 5+ blows with a baseball bat could have easily killed someone.

And his intent toward Mrs Petit & the 2 girls was not to just rob and leave. I believe he intended to sexually assault the youngest, and I believe that was his core intent in picking them/that house to "rob."

Once inside that house and after ransacking the house and finding not much of value to steal, they could have left the women tied up and then fled with whatever they found. The plan to go to the bank was one in which I believe they knew they were ready, willing, and able to murder all witnesses (i.e. the family). Also, I believe JK wanted Hayes & Mrs Petit out of the house so he could sexually assault the youngest daughter.

In the time it took to rape, murder and set fire, they could have just as easily tied up Mrs. Petit and left, cash in hand from the bank, with everyone alive in the house.

Ironically they wanted to get rid of their DNA and even that brutal fire didn't destroy the most heinous evidence of what they did.

Yes, the gas was bought in the early morning hours, before day break if I remember correctly. I think the family being kept alive until the end doest really mean JK intended for them to survive. They needed to keep them alive to insure they got the money. Perhaps JK could have killed them while Hayes was at the bank, but instead he chose to assault Mickaela. Now, my memory from the other trial is fuzzy but if i recall JK was the one that discovered Dr. Petit had escaped. I believe he discovered this when he went downstairs one last time. And why did he go down there? I believe he intended to finish him off at that point. At that point he runs upstairs, tells Hayes, they finishe spreading the gas and one or both of them light it. I dont believe there has been any evidence (other than JK's self-serving statement) as to who lit the fire.

Does anyone know how old JK's daughter is? I wonder if the defense will try to use her as a witness during the penalty phase or at least have her in the courtroom?

She was 4 at the time of the murder, so she would be 8 now. I highly doubt she'll be called to court. She wouldn't have many, if any, memories prior to 2007 and JK has been in prison since.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HOLLYMOORE73
Back