CT - Kevin Jiang, 26, Yale grad student, fatally shot off campus, New Haven, 6 Feb 2021 *ARREST*

dotr

Reaction score

Fox News
Feb 8 2021
Murder mystery rocks Yale University after grad student found fatally shot off campus
''Jiang was a former member of the Army National Guard and a second-year master's student at the Ivy League university's School of Environment.

“The Yale Community is grieving right now. This is the loss of an extraordinary young man. He was committed to applying his talents to improving the world," Yale President Peter Salovey said during Monday's news conference.''

“We are looking into whether or not Mr. Jiang was actually targeted during this incident," Reyes said. "We have developed information suggesting that this incident may not have been an actual random act, that he, in fact, was targeted."

Reyes said police are also investigating if Jiang was shot following a road rage incident.''

''Salovey said that in addition to his studies, Jiang volunteered at a homeless shelter cooking and distributing food. He said Jiang was also conducting research on mercury levels in fish in the Quinnipiac River Watershed and helped manufacturers comply with local and federal environmental laws.''

Kevin Jiang: Army Vet Yale Grad Student Killed in Shooting | Heavy.com
kevin-jiang.jpg

Facebook Kevin Jiang was a Yale University graduate student and U.S. Army veteran who was killed in. a shooting in New Haven.

''Jiang, a Seattle native who recently proposed to his girlfriend and penned a heartbreaking post about her on Facebook, was shot about 8:30 p.m. near Lawrence and Nicoll streets in the East Rock neighborhood of the city, New Haven Police said in a statement.

Jiang served in the Army as a tank operator and was a member of the Army National Guard at the time of his death, he wrote on his LinkedIn page. He lived in West Haven and was studying environmental science at Yale, according to his Facebook profile. On Facebook, Jiang’s profile header reads, “Life is a gift that I am so thankful for.” Yale said his family has been notified of his death.''

''Jiang was found in the street near his Toyota Prius, which had rear-end damage, according to the New Haven Independent. Detectives are investigating whether a crash preceded the shooting, the news website reports. Neighbors told the New Haven Independent at least seven shots were fired.''

https://nypost.com/2021/02/09/slain-yale-graduate-student-may-have-been-targeted-police/
''A Yale University graduate student fatally shot in Connecticut may have been “targeted” in a road rage incident, police said.''

“We are looking into whether or not Mr. Jiang was targeted,” Chief Otoniel Reyes said. “We have developed information that the incident may not have been a random act, that he was in effect targeted … This was not a drive-by. This was much more up close.”

''A Facebook profile for Jiang, of West Haven, showed video of his Jan. 30 engagement to his 22-year-old girlfriend, Zion Perry, after one year of dating. The Yale biophysics doctoral student told the New Haven Independent their bond was centered on their shared Christian faith.

“The first thing that comes to mind is Jesus,” Perry told the outlet Monday of Jiang. “He was a vessel for his love. [Jiang] touched so many people … I can’t believe I had the privilege of actually knowing him. I don’t regret a single memory.”

''Jiang was set to celebrate his 27th birthday on Feb. 14, according to his Facebook page''

Roadside shooting of Yale graduate student Kevin Jiang may have been targeted, say investigators | Daily Mail Online

From the article:

With the killer still at large, the tight-lipped chief did not offer much further information.

But he did suggest that neighbors had seen interactions earlier in the day that shed light on the murder of Jiang, who had become engaged to be married just a week earlier.

'Additional callers reported seeing much during that day - we do not want to give that information because the investigation is ongoing,' Reyes said.

This is awful. Why would he be a target?
It is indeed awful. He was my friend's fiancé, and I just congratulated them on their engagement a week prior. In response to your question, there aren't enough details released to the public yet, but his fianceé doesn't why he could've been a target either.

My two cents would be that he was involved in an altercation of some sort with someone wielding a gun, and perhaps his murderer had a thing against Asians too. There was talk about the New Haven Police Department making repeated visits to a local Arby's too--wonder if the employees at Arby's could shed any light on the matter.

It is indeed awful. He was my friend's fiancé, and I just congratulated them on their engagement a week prior. In response to your question, there aren't enough details released to the public yet, but his fianceé doesn't why he could've been a target either.

My two cents would be that he was involved in an altercation of some sort with someone wielding a gun, and perhaps his murderer had a thing against Asians too. There was talk about the New Haven Police Department making repeated visits to a local Arby's too--wonder if the employees at Arby's could shed any light on the matter.
Welcome to Ws sleuthintraining, thanks for the link!
So sad for his family and new fiance, Mr Jiang looks like a wonderful person, hope they catch the heartless beast who killed him very soon.

From link..
''NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Sources tell FOX61 both the North Haven and New Haven Police have visited the Arby's Restaurant on Route 5 in North Haven multiple times in connection with the investigation into the murder of 26-year-old Yale graduate student Kevin Jiang.

Neither Police Department will comment on this information, citing an ongoing investigation. Arby's also declined comment. Sources also confirmed Police visited the Sims Metal recycling center in North Haven.
New Haven Police believe Jiang was targeted but have not revealed why.''
dc053ebf-58cb-4e0f-bff7-0293771867d8_1920x1080.jpg

From the press conference (URL link provided above):

New Haven Police named Quinxuan Pan as a person of interest in the death of Kevin Jiang.

Pin is a graduate of MIT as is Kevin's fiance.

Pin came to the attention of the North Haven police who did not know at the time about the murder. They contacted New Haven police afterwards.

Pin is driving a stolen vehicle. It was stolen out of Massachusetts.

They are exploring leads that Pin is out of state.

They are exploring all angles including a possibile romantic angle (considering the number of times Kevin was shot.)

Last edited:
Police name person of interest in Yale grad student homicide investigation | fox61.com

Police named MIT graduate Quinxuan Pan as a person of interest and is wanted for questioning. Police added Pan should be considered armed and dangerous. It is also believed he is outside the state but Police would not go into further details.

Anyone who sees Pan is asked to call the police. Pan has a warrant for his arrest in connection with a stolen car in North Haven. His last know address is Malden, Mass.

fe80e539-22a2-4a60-bb7f-ed6d4d3d3b3f_750x422.jpg

Police name person of interest in Yale grad student homicide investigation | fox61.com

Police named MIT graduate Quinxuan Pan as a person of interest and is wanted for questioning. Police added Pan should be considered armed and dangerous. It is also believed he is outside the state but Police would not go into further details.

Anyone who sees Pan is asked to call the police. Pan has a warrant for his arrest in connection with a stolen car in North Haven. His last know address is Malden, Mass.

fe80e539-22a2-4a60-bb7f-ed6d4d3d3b3f_750x422.jpg
Thanks for the link Dallas Volunteer!
Oddly, i am more surprised that a Yale academic would steal a car, than (allegedly) commit a murder!

My heart goes out to your friend. Prayers for Kevin,and his family going up. I'm so sorry.

rbbm.
Police name person of interest in murder of Yale University graduate student
"NEW HAVEN, Connecticut -- Police are looking for a 29-year-old Massachusetts man as a person of interest in the fatal shooting of a Yale graduate student last weekend in Connecticut, authorities said Wednesday.

The person sought for questioning in the case, Qinxuan Pan, should be considered armed and dangerous, New Haven police chief Otoniel Reyes said at a news conference.''

''Pan's last known address is in Malden, Massachusetts, and he graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.''

''Pan was last seen at a hotel in North Haven, Connecticut, and is believed to be out of state, police said''.

Feb 11 2021 rbbm.
MIT student named person of interest in Yale student’s slaying, police say
''Pan, an MIT graduate student, was last seen at the Best Western Hotel at 201 Washington Ave. in North Haven, Connecticut. His last known address was at 193 Clifton St. in Malden, Massachusetts, according to the department’s statement.''

“We are not ruling out that he’s still in Connecticut. However, we are exploring leads that he’s somewhere else,” Reyes said at a press conference with local, state and federal authorities. “We’re exploring absolutely every angle.”

Officers in North Haven, Connecticut came into contact with Pan shortly after Jiang’s death, according Reyes. He is accused of stealing a vehicle in the town.''

''Law enforcement urged members of the public to use extreme caution around Pan. If someone locates the person of interest, they should call homicide detectives at (203) 946-6304 or the New Haven Police Department’s anonymous tip line at 1 (866) 888-8477. The department can also be emailed at ecic@newhavenct.gov.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukeyboy43
Back