Found Deceased CT - Lauren Smith-Fields, 23, Bridgeport, 12 Dec 2021

I don’t think it was a relationship. I’m thinking more like a drink session/hookup.

Not like a first date meet for lunch to get to know each other or meet for happy hour out in public. In my group, we never invited a person off a site to the house for a first date night.
Scary enough in public!
JMO
Several encounters with sketchy people, lots of hinkiness.
I totally agree, and similar to other posters- some people do vomit after a few tequila shots but get right back on the horse and keep going. It isn't unheard of- whether or not that would put you off as a new date depends on the person! but I don't think it sounds like she was 'Ill' to the point of slurring, passing out, vomiting at that time- so I don't think it's strange he stayed and they decided to eat food and mix their drinks instead of taking shots etc.

JMO

Acting Police Chief Rebeca Garcia has responded to criticism of the probes into two women’s deaths, but it appears unlikely — at least for now — that her thoughts will be shared with the public.

The chief, who recently went on vacation, has written a letter to the city’s police commissioners detailing her and her department’s handling of the probes into the untimely deaths of two Black women, Lauren Smith-Fields and Brenda Lee Rawls — investigations that drew national headlines last month and criticism from the mayor.…

Danny Roach, who is employed by the city as an aide to Mayor Joe Ganim and is also the commission’s longtime chairman, confirmed he received a four-page letter Tuesday from Garcia “as to the version of events as she saw them” and forwarded it to fellow commission members ahead of their meeting next Tuesday.

But after consulting with the mayor’s office Wednesday Roach declined to provide the document to Hearst Connecticut Media, citing as a reason under the state Freedom of Information Act that it includes “sensitive material that could reference an ongoing investigation.” He said the contents will be made public “if and and when appropriate.”

Bridgeport: Police chief’s response to criticism of Smith-Fields, Rawls cases won’t be released

I totally agree, and similar to other posters- some people do vomit after a few tequila shots but get right back on the horse and keep going. It isn't unheard of- whether or not that would put you off as a new date depends on the person! but I don't think it sounds like she was 'Ill' to the point of slurring, passing out, vomiting at that time- so I don't think it's strange he stayed and they decided to eat food and mix their drinks instead of taking shots etc.

JMO

I agree. With hard alcohol/shots, vomiting early on in the night is sometimes regarded as a warning. Not a warning to stop drinking, but a warning to eat something so tequila isn’t hitting an empty stomach. JMO.

I can’t find anywhere that Lauren mentioned feeling uneasy with her date when the brother stopped by. It was after 11 pm IIRC. You’d think she would have said something to her brother if she was feeling uncomfortable or nervous. Whole thing is very odd. IMO.

From what I'd read (will look for link later, somewhere within thread) it seems as if Lauren had some kind of anti nausea medication in her system. If so, it's odd that she was sick to her stomach. JMO.

From what I'd read (will look for link later, somewhere within thread) it seems as if Lauren had some kind of anti nausea medication in her system. If so, it's odd that she was sick to her stomach. JMO.

Not necessarily - there are several classes of antiemetics, all with different pathways/receptors. I don’t know which she was taking, though.

Not necessarily - there are several classes of antiemetics, all with different pathways/receptors. I don’t know which she was taking, though.
Was not aware of that! Thanks for the info :)

wondering if they were prescribed, OTC or part of some "concoction"? Just speculation, Fwiw

Was not aware of that! Thanks for the info :)

wondering if they were prescribed, OTC or part of some "concoction"? Just speculation, Fwiw

No clue. But the more popular RXs do cause major constipation - I wouldn’t think they would be something to take recreationally. It’s not like with opioids, where the high far outweighs constipation.

If you mean a “concoction” to allow someone to keep drinking, I have no idea what the kids are doing these days. But most antiemetics won’t prevent vomiting when the body needs to vomit - such as to prevent alcohol poisoning. JMO.

No clue. But the more popular RXs do cause major constipation - I wouldn’t think they would be something to take recreationally. It’s not like with opioids, where the high far outweighs constipation.

If you mean a “concoction” to allow someone to keep drinking, I have no idea what the kids are doing these days. But most antiemetics won’t prevent vomiting when the body needs to vomit - such as to prevent alcohol poisoning. JMO.
Phenergan, for example, has sedating effects and was frequently used in the past to potentiate the effect of opiates. There are people who abuse phenergan (promethazine) by itself, but it is usually used to make opioids more powerful.

We just had 5 people drop dead together in a house in Denver from bad drugs at a party (cocaine cut with fent). People need to start buying and using test strips if they are intent on using illegal drugs (pills, coke, heroin, meth), as it has literally reached crisis levels in this country. I'm glad my cocaine days are long past me, I only used it to "sober up" and continue drinking.

We just had 5 people drop dead together in a house in Denver from bad drugs at a party (cocaine cut with fent). People need to start buying and using test strips if they are intent on using illegal drugs (pills, coke, heroin, meth), as it has literally reached crisis levels in this country. I'm glad my cocaine days are long past me, I only used it to "sober up" and continue drinking.
Yes Yes Yes!

The families of Lauren Smith-Fields and Brenda Lee Rawls said the Bridgeport Police Department is once again leaving them in the dark.

“We’ve gotten nothing, nothing at all,” said Shantell Fields, the mother of Lauren Smith-Fields, who died 14 months ago. “It is a rotten apple inside the police department over there. … They told us to stop calling. ‘It’s an open investigation.’”

A Bridgeport Police Department spokesman told Hearst Connecticut Media they closed both women’s untimely death investigations but, in connection with Smith-Fields’ death, the criminal narcotics investigation case they are working with the DEA remains open.

Promethazine is used for anti-emetic purposes, it used to be prescribed for women who experienced extreme morning sickness with pregnancy. I'm not sure if it's still prescribed for that. Hydroxyzine while not classified for such can be used as an anti-anxiety medication with lesser side effects than benzodiazapines like Xanax or Valium. I have been prescribed both of these meds before for these reasons. I was unable to keep using the Hydroxyzine because it exacerbated my frequent migraines, but it worked well to take the edge off anxiety. Both of these drugs are commonly prescribed for a range of reasons and that would be my first question, did she have prescriptions for those meds? I worked as a nurse for 10 years also, and I would not consider either of these to be commonly used by addicts. Though I can't speak either way to another post stating Promethazine is used in conjunction with opiates.
Really the Fentanyl is very likely the culprit, or just how the alcohol mixed with the other medications all together.
Also of note is that Fentanyl is very easily absorbed via the skin. I had to wear gloves when applying patches to my hospice patients and Medication Aids must be witnessed by nursing staff when applying or removing the patches.

Two years ago, failures by Bridgeport Police to notify families about the deaths of two Black women drew national outrage and headlines.

Mayor Joe Ganim called the delayed notifications and investigations “unacceptable.” He promised accountability and to do right by the families of Lauren Smith-Fields and Brenda Lee Rawls.
But in the 25 months since, families of both women say police and city officials have provided them with scant updates about the death investigations, stonewalled requests for records and answered few questions as they seek closure.

The families say city officials did not even tell them police closed both death investigations more than a year ago.
What’s more, scathing reports CT Insider recently obtained from Bridgeport Police describe how the department’s internal investigators found detectives failed to promptly and properly notify the families about the deaths. One of the reports also faulted the lead investigator of one case for failing to properly investigate that death.
When told by a CT Insider reporter during a recent interview that the investigation into her daughter’s death had closed, Shantell Fields began crying uncontrollably.

“They never told us they closed it,” said Smith-Fields’ brother, Lakeem Jetter. “They just kept putting on a show. It’s all smoke and mirrors.”

Dorothy Washington, the sister of Rawls, was in disbelief. “So they don’t tell the family when the case is closed?”

The state’s chief medical examiner, Dr. James R. Gill, whose office completed their autopsies, declined to speak about either of these cases specifically.
But, Gill spoke to CT Insider in broad terms about the death determination process his office goes through. He said it relies on the information provided by his inspectors and the police.

However, the manner in which someone died depends on the circumstances surrounding their death. That classification – either accidental, homicide, natural causes, or suicide – relies on what information is given to his medical examiners.

“We need the circumstances. We need the police investigation in order to determine the manner of death,” Gill said during an interview. “Someone who does an autopsy in a vacuum, is kind of doomed to failure. They're gonna miss things. You really need the circumstances.”

Take, for example, determining if someone died from an accidental overdose versus being drugged.
“So if we had that information, that someone intentionally gave someone too much drugs to harm them, we would call it a homicide. The autopsy is not going to tell us that. We need the investigation,” he said.

In the Rawls’ case, internal investigators found the only detective assigned, Angel Llanos “had not written a report until he was ordered to do so” 15 days after the death. That report is supposed to outline what the detective witnessed and investigated on the scene.
Upon receiving that incident report, his boss Lt. Christopher LaMaine told internal affairs that “the most overwhelming thing that stands out is the lack of content. He (Llanos) didn’t do anything. … It was just laziness, and you can’t train away laziness”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back