GUILTY DC - David Messerschmitt, 30, murdered in Washington hotel room, 9 Feb 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may run a hold, not all hotels do. We need more info. Maybe Dockins can find out. :D
But again, what do they do with it otherwise? That is a genuine not rhetorical question. Why bother asking for a credit card if you aren't going to run it to make sure there are funds there in case someone runs out on the bill?

I honestly can't remember a hotel not running the card at check-in at any hotel I've been to in the last 2 decades--since I've been old enough to check myself into a hotel.

But again, what do they do with it otherwise? That is a genuine not rhetorical question. Why bother asking for a credit card if you aren't going to run it to make sure there are funds there in case someone runs out on the bill?

I honestly can't remember a hotel not running the card at check-in at any hotel I've been to in the last 2 decades--since I've been old enough to check myself into a hotel.

Yes to this, they have to know your cc is approved. If you booked online, ahead of time, you were approved at that time.

Great of you to do, thank you. Could that be how LE knew to track David there then, not through info gathered from work, his spouse or family, thus LE asked house-keeping to go in prior to check-out time, around 11:15 am... as a credit is run before check-in to know it is valid, working at least?
There would have to be, in my opinion, some transaction (i.e. pending/processing) run on the credit card to verify the person had a valid card that could be charged upon check-out. I would think there would be some record of that with the c/c company since at least one night's room rate would possibly have to be charged to that card. As an example, when using a debit/credit card for purchases, checking online banking it shows as "processing" if the transactions are done on a weekend. The hotel could, of course, reverse the charges to the card if the guest chose to pay with cash upon check out.

MOO

I read that the other way---if a credit card is needed at check-in, it's needed to run for a deposit so there was a credit card run at 5:30 check in. What would be the point of requiring a credit card at check in otherwise?

I guess I don't stay at high-end enough hotels, but I also travel frequently and almost exclusively at Marriotts (rewards loyalty!)....they always put my bill under the door at night, whether I'm at their Renaissance or at their Fairfield Suites. They ask at check in if I want to use the credit card presented for the final charges and I always do, so they slide the bill under the door with a zero balance and if I have an issue I can check out in person and deal with it right there and then; no issue, I don't check out in person. .It's way more streamlined and efficient for me (who puts everything on credit cards for work for the audit trail) especially in the morning when I'm usually running out the door for the airport. I don't find it old-fashioned at all--I find it incredibly convenient.

Exactamundo. :)

There would have to be, in my opinion, some transaction (i.e. pending/processing) run on the credit card to verify the person had a valid card that could be charged upon check-out. I would think there would be some record of that with the c/c company since at least one night's room rate would possibly have to be charged to that card. As an example, when using a debit/credit card for purchases, checking online banking it shows as "processing" if the transactions are done on a weekend. The hotel could, of course, reverse the charges to the card if the guest chose to pay with cash upon check out.

MOO

True. Do any of you agree with me that he probably had used this hotel before, they just pulled up his current info, done. It could have even been on a corporate account (although I think not likely). This room was $300/nightly, then he had to pay cash for whatever his date was (unless he paid for that online, too)...like I said, he could have his own expense account and/or his own credit card, his name only.

As an almost aside, I don't actually think there was a "mistress" and I personally think the encounter, probably male, had already occurred, that he texted his wife AFTERWARDS (he checked in at 5:30 and texted her at 7:30--is that right?)-- that he'd be home in an hour.....the deeds had already been done and he was going to shower etc (see the list of items laid out on sink in search warrant) before going home. So whoever did it was not the person he was there to meet with originally....so we probably actually agree on who may have done it.....I just think in general a mistress is as likely as a wife---both may think she understands a situation until she doesn't....and in either case, she ultimately realizes she's not the one in control and probably never was. Again, JMO.

I keep wondering how the person would get into his room. They either had to be let in, have a key, or the door was unlocked. The first and last are both possible but seem more unlikely. It is plausible the room key was taken by the person who was there prior, and the person let themselves in.

Are there any other people found on camera that might be related and give a better idea of who this is?

I will be curious to see what the chain of events were that led to this untimely death.

I keep wondering how the person would get into his room. They either had to be let in, have a key, or the door was unlocked. The first and last are both possible but seem more unlikely. It is plausible the room key was taken by the person who was there prior, and the person let themselves in.

Are there any other people found on camera that might be related and give a better idea of who this is?

I will be curious to see what the chain of events were that led to this untimely death.

I personally think he thought it was the date that just left thinking he'd forgotten something so he opened the door to him/her, similar voice. (I think DM called or texted his wife to say he'd be home in a hour because the fun had been taken care of. He was going to shower and head home. If we knew if products were used or unopened, that would help a lot. I think this was a different person (than the date), sent on a mission by somebody. The keys are re-coded when one checks out so couldn't have been that the key was taken by the person there prior.

True. Do any of you agree with me that he probably had used this hotel before, they just pulled up his current info, done. It could have even been on a corporate account (although I think not likely). This room was $300/nightly, then he had to pay cash for whatever his date was (unless he paid for that online, too)...like I said, he could have his own expense account and/or his own credit card, his name only.
All good thoughts and questions. To begin with, we do not know if he'd used the hotel before, how he booked the room, or how long he had been staying there since his wife last saw him at 9:30am Sunday. He could have been there Sunday night also. We can only speculate why he was there based in part upon things found in the room. However, it also appears he had some workout clothes with him so was he also using a gym at the hotel?

:waitasec:

MOO

It is very possible that DM had another desk top/laptop computer at home with personal info, such as, banking, credit cards, finances. All his wife had to do was turn on his computer and log into his accounts(maybe all passwords were saved).
My husband keeps all finances on one laptop. While I have never looked at it, each time he travels...he reminds me that everything I would need (if anything happens to him) is on that laptop. JMO

I read that the other way---if a credit card is needed at check-in, it's needed to run for a deposit so there was a credit card run at 5:30 check in. What would be the point of requiring a credit card at check in otherwise?

I guess I don't stay at high-end enough hotels, but I also travel frequently and almost exclusively at Marriotts (rewards loyalty!)....they always put my bill under the door at night, whether I'm at their Renaissance or at their Fairfield Suites. They ask at check in if I want to use the credit card presented for the final charges and I always do, so they slide the bill under the door with a zero balance and if I have an issue I can check out in person and deal with it right there and then; no issue, I don't check out in person. .It's way more streamlined and efficient for me (who puts everything on credit cards for work for the audit trail) especially in the morning when I'm usually running out the door for the airport. I don't find it old-fashioned at all--I find it incredibly convenient.

I grew up with a hotelier father. I have traveled much of the world and the US. I have stayed at the most luxurious and some of the most awful holes. They always run the credit card upon check in. Always.

I have always had to show my picture ID and actual credit card when checking into a hotel. Well, at least for the last several years. I stay at The Marriott or Hilton, or an equivalent hotel because I am usually traveling alone and need to feel safe. I don't stay in 5 star hotels or dumps either.

I posted early on who I thought had something to do with David's murder and my thoughts have not changed.

I keep checking this thread hoping there has been an arrest.

MOO

I grew up with a hotelier father. I have traveled much of the world and the US. I have stayed at the most luxurious and some of the most awful holes. They always run the credit card upon check in. Always.
Many will ask for it but they don't all require it. I was a Front Desk Agent, and learned this first hand. The hotel I worked at was upscale. One week they'd require it, the next it was not required. So they often change their own rules. Some people may ask to deposit cash, and the hotel may or may not allow a cash deposit. If a person doesn't have a Cc to add for incidentals, it is ultimately up to the hotel to decide. I never leave my Cc. The last time I went to a hotel, they asked for my Cc info, and I asked for a manager and asked to leave cash because I knew the hold takes forever...which, BTW, even the hold can be released sooner if you talk to the bank. Sometimes a hotel won't even ask for a Cc, though. I've come across that before...just like the one I worked at.

I've stayed at two hotels in the past year that didn't require a credit card. I also stayed at one where I asked to do cash only and was refused. So yes, there are hotels in the US that alow you to pay cash and do not require a card, but some, probably most, do require a card. Why doesn't someone just call the hotel in question and ask?

Even if you choose to pay in cash, the hotel will protect itself by running your credit card in case of theft or damage.

If someone paid cash without benefit of a credit card verification on file at time of check-in, the hotel would be on the hook for the theft or damages?

Even if you choose to pay in cash, the hotel will protect itself by running your credit card in case of theft or damage.

If someone paid cash without benefit of a credit card verification on file at time of check-in, the hotel would be on the hook for the theft or damages?
Yeah they'd be on the hook, but some do it anyway. Resorts which is owned by Hilton didn't always require a cc or even debit card. In 2007 they finally changed that so you need a debit or credit...BUT they always made exceptions, for those who pleaded that they owned no card. They put down $100 for incidentals that they got back upon checkout.

I have previously worked in hotel management, and these days travel a lot. For the past 7 years I have spent 10-15 nights in hotels per month. These hotels have been both domestic and international, corporate and boutique, for both business and pleasure.
Room deposits are always run at the beginning of the stay (no point in taking a deposit otherwise!). If I haven't pre-paid, actual room charge and incidentals are run together, upon check out. Deposit is then returned within 5 working days. This seems to be the case for 99% of hotels.
I've never had or heard of guest bills being put under the door? This seems very old fashioned. Closest I've come would be receiving a copy via email, and these statements are generally sent after check out (perhaps twice in this entire time have I received the statement before). I also always check out at the front desk so I can obtain a physical copy of the receipt. I can't say I know anyone who doesn't present at front desk upon check out regardless of whether they want the receipt or not.
May I ask what kind of hotel you work at and in which country? I'm very interested as I find your comments to be the complete opposite to my experiences.

Very bizarre that with as much travel you engage in you have NEVER encountered a bill slid under your door. This is a very common practice in many hotels in the USA - all levels of hotels. This is also a regular practice at hotels located at airports as most folks catching a plane don't want to stand in line in the morning.

DM could have been traced to the Donovan via location services on phone. Could have nothing to do with a credit card. IMO

DM could have been traced to the Donovan via location services on phone. Could have nothing to do with a credit card. IMO
Interesting! The precise location of the phone can be found through the text message or GPS? I thought the location of a cell phone could be traced in general, such as the nearest cell tower, but not specifically to that hotel.

MOO

Interesting! The precise location of the phone can be found through the text message or GPS? I thought the location of a cell phone could be traced in general, such as the nearest cell tower, but not specifically to that hotel.

MOO
Yes it can - so long as the gps is turned on. My partner and I both have 'Find My Android' on our phones. All we need to do to see where each other are is to log into our Google account. It's accurate to just a few metres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adrian33