DC DC - Eileen Kelly, 18, Washington DC, 14 Dec 1974

It would be interesting to know what bus route Eileen normally took, or which one she planned to take that day, and where all the stops were.

Since she was leaving a known place and her destination stop was known, there would have been a finite number of stops in between. Were any of them near the area where she was found? Were any of them near potential places of imprisonment?

I suspect the bus route came out of D.C. on Michigan Ave. and out Queens Chapel Road. Her parents lived in the Castle Manor neighborhood which is close to Queens Chapel Road. The other possibility would have been a bus coming out of D.C. along Rhode Island Ave., which becomes Baltimore Ave. (Rte. 1) in Hyattsville. I don't know what the routes were back then, but today the closest bus to her parents house that comes up Rte. 1 would have let her off several blocks away. Neither route is close to Mt. Olivet Cemetery, which is the neighborhood where her body was found. So it seems she had to be transported some distance from where she was captured.

Lloyd Lee Welch lived on Alt. Rte 1, a little east of Rte. 1. His girlfriend lived to the west in Takoma Park. He probably took the bus between Hyattsville and Takoma Park -- not sure what route, but it would have crossed Queens Chapel Rd.

Regarding Eileen's high school, her family attend St. Jerome's School and from there her brothers likely attended DeMatha while she and her sisters might have attended Seton in Bladensburg or Regina (now closed) in Adelphi.

I personally think that there is a stronger possibility that Eileen was abducted in Maryland than in the District of Columbia. Maryland was her home and her destination that day. She had no reason to get off the bus anywhere in DC and much reason to get to Hyattsville, MD as quickly as possible because she was to meet her father and look at a new car.

While the possibility exists that someone could have forced her off the bus in DC or anywhere along the route, it is more likely that she made it to Hyattsville by one or the other possible bus routes mentioned.

Some factors to consider:

1. It was December and cold weather. Someone might have offered her a lift if she had a walk to her home.

2. It was the end of the work week (Friday).

3. She had left work earlier than usual.

4. Christmas holiday was approaching.

Seton Catholic Girls School in Bladensburg Md

Thanks. I found that its address is: 5715 Emerson Street, Bladensburg, MD 20710

I wonder if there were any sports events or concerts there which Eileen might have attended before her abduction. Someone might have seen or met her there.

Richard has noted a few interesting coincidences regarding these cases. I'll speculate on one of these regarding the proximity of the crimes to Christmas and Easter. Perhaps this indicates some type of window of freedom to the perp to commit the crimes because there is a change in his family routine. Maybe his family is away for these periods because his children are out of school at this time, and they have traveled somewhere with their mother to visit relatives while Dad stayed back home in Maryland. I'm thinking specifically of the possibility that LLW1 and LLW2 may have stayed behind in Hyattsville while Edna took her brood down to TN to visit family.

Richard has noted a few interesting coincidences regarding these cases. I'll speculate on one of these regarding the proximity of the crimes to Christmas and Easter. Perhaps this indicates some type of window of freedom to the perp to commit the crimes because there is a change in his family routine. Maybe his family is away for these periods because his children are out of school at this time, and they have traveled somewhere with their mother to visit relatives while Dad stayed back home in Maryland. I'm thinking specifically of the possibility that LLW1 and LLW2 may have stayed behind in Hyattsville while Edna took her brood down to TN to visit family.

Good point RichardLewis. Some of the family may have headed up to Taylor's Mountain in Thaxton, VA which is several hours away. They had lots of relatives and extended family in that area.

I found an old article with a few details about the case that I did not know, see attached. For example, Eileen Kelly did graduate from Elizabeth Seton HS in 1974, she was taking classes at Prince George's Community College in Largo, MD, she had moved out of her parents house and into her own apartment about 6 weeks prior to her abduction, and she would date occasionally but did not have a steady boyfriend. Also, her body was found on a lot behind 17 R Street NE, Washington, DC, not as close to Mt. Olivet cemetery as some have stated.

Eileen Kelly 1974 0article.jpg

Was the bus stop she was going to get off at to meet her father either at or near the end of the bus route? Has anyone ever looked at the bus driver as a poi? He was said to have seen her alive. What else? Was he questioned thoroughly?
and are the details of the recently found dna a few years back known? How was it found after so many years? What link does it have to the case?

Bumping. This month marks 41 years since Eileen was abducted and murdered.

"Authorities also submitted for DNA testing microscope slides of evidence from the crime scene. The slides had been stored and forgotten at the medical examiner's office and were recovered recently. Police are asking for anyone with any information on Kelly's death to call 202-727-5037 or the Metropolitan Police Department's Command Information Center at 202 727-9099."

source: Washington Examiner, Oct. 4, 2010 by Scott McCabe

Detective Mike McQuillan on Eileen Kelly's death -The person responsible, needs to be identified and prosecuted and ultimately punished. Interviewer: It's called Justice. Reply: Yes Sir.

source:
http://www.nbcwashington.com/video/#!/news/local/Cold-Case--Eileen-Kelly/86298982

Thank you, Richard, for the excellent research and pertinent submittals on Eileen Kelly.

It has been 42 Years since Eileen's murder.

Bumping this case up. It started out as a missing person case under the jurisdiction of and investigation by Prince Georges County (Maryland) Police Department, because Hyattsville, Md was her destination and where she was reported by her family as missing.

When her body was found just a few blocks inside the Washington DC line, the investigation was transferred to the Washington Police department as a case of murder. It is still in their jurisdiction and the case remains unsolved.

It was determined that Eileen was held alive for about nine days after her abduction before she was brutally murdered.

This December marks the 43rd anniversary of Eileen Kelly's disappearance, apparent abduction, and brutal murder.

Could her abduction and death have been connected to the later disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon from Wheaton Plaza, Maryland?

Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr. recently convicted of their abduction and murder, lived in Hyattsville (Prince Georges County), Maryland not far from Eileen's family. They were very close in age.

Eileen was last seen getting on a DC Metro bus headed to Hyattsville, but she did not make connections with her waiting father in Hyattsville. Her body was found several days later, dumped in Washington DC, just west of the Maryland line.

I found an old article with a few details about the case that I did not know, see attached. For example, Eileen Kelly did graduate from Elizabeth Seton HS in 1974, she was taking classes at Prince George's Community College in Largo, MD, she had moved out of her parents house and into her own apartment about 6 weeks prior to her abduction, and she would date occasionally but did not have a steady boyfriend. Also, her body was found on a lot behind 17 R Street NE, Washington, DC, not as close to Mt. Olivet cemetery as some have stated.

attachment.php
[

According to this article, she had moved into her own apartment 6 weeks earlier, had only been working at the Justice Department since "last June", went missing the same day she was to get her new car, and had been catching a ride to work but riding a bus home.
Who was the person or persons she'd been catching a ride with in the mornings? This person was about to "lose her" so to speak and there seems to have been some speculation she at least knew her attacker, possibly intimately.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/co.../article/91052

the article supposes she may have died from "consensual sex gone wrong". What the heck? She was missing for 9 days (alive estimated 7 days) and was supposed to meet her father and never called to say why she could not meet him; and she was never heard from again. It was not consensual sex gone wrong, come on, that's B.S. I suppose LE and the washington examiner are attempting to implant some half *advertiser censored* excuse into some dim-witted perp's mind to get them to sort of confess to an "accidental" murder? Oy... (Definition of oy. —used especially to express exasperation or dismay.) btw, remember the article from about 10 years ago where LE said they had DNA evidence in this case? Whatever happened to that angle? You would think by now they could have at least seen if there was any familial match to the W clan via convicted murderer LLW2's DNA

Thinking about Eileen today . . .

May 2018 be the year we get some answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping this case up. I wonder if Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr. might have been connected to Eileen's murder. Looking back to that time frame, he would have just turned 18 during her disappearance. He lived in the same town (Hyattsville, MD) and was her same age.

If one accepts LE's line regarding Lloyd's statements, it would seem that the Lyon sisters were abducted and held alive for some time in or near Hyattsville prior to their murder in the March/April 1975 time frame. This was only three months after Eileen was abducted, imprisoned, and murdered.

Did LE even ask Lloyd Welch about Eileen?

Your comment “the Lyon sisters were abducted and held alive for some time in or near Hyattsville” reflects recent March news from
 Asst. Chief Russ Hammill said knowing that Welch was on Taylor’s Mountain in spring 1975 brought the narrative into focus.
“It absolutely made sense, and it tied in other things as well,” said Hammill. “People may recall there was a sighting of who believed to be the girls in Prince William County, [Virginia].”

Old 2006 news by Bill Myers on Eileen Kelly says this case has lingered unsolved for decades but authorities have found new hope in old samples of possible semen recovered during Kelly’s autopsy. The samples may yet yield DNA evidence and lead to a break in the case, D.C. police
detective Jim Trainum said. Officials want to develop a DNA profile of the killer that could be compared to that of suspects.

Now genomics can produce 3D mugshots of the perp; if time and money permit. Thanks for bumping up this case, Richard.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhoule
Back