DE DE - John 'Jack' Wheeler, 66, Wilmington, 30 Dec 2010

I'm interested in revisiting.... went back and skimmed over the thread. Not sure where to pick up from here.

I'm in the camp who doesn't support a conspiracy here (at least involving the government), because I can't imagine a government ordered or backed assassination that would allow a victim to stumble around across at least two towns for at 48 hours. Too risky. The government operation doesn't explain the erratic behaviors, the wandering, the dumping of a body in a dumpster 20 miles away only to have it end up in a landfill right back in Wilmington. Too sloppy.

I also don't think that the building of the Marini house had anything to do with his death. Look, two weeks before he died, he lost the most recent incantation of his legal battle. The idea that someone would go through YEARS of fighting to build a home, finally clear the legal hurdles, and then arrange for JPW to be offed doesn't jive with me.

So, what happened? No idea, because there are two HUGE unknowns here.

The first is that we don't know how the COD was inflicted. Blunt force trauma, yes. But, was he struck or did he strike something? Was he hit over the head, or did he seek warmth and shelter inside a dumpster and suffer trauma when it was compacted?

Secondly, we don't know if he was truly transported to the landfill via dumpster pickup in Newark, or if he was placed inside the trash truck prior to its run. I don't know enough about the trash truck timeline - where did it originate? In Newark? In Wilmington? Was it left alone at all before coming to the landfill?

I lean more towards the theory that JPW suffered from some sort of breakdown and, as a result, found himself roaming between Wilmington and New Castle on foot, by cab, and begging rides, all while his car sat parked across from the station he had arrived at hours earlier.

He attempted to seek out places that were familiar to him - a parking garage where he thought his car was held, a law firm that bore the name of the family lawyer, an iconic hotel where he had no doubt been before.

But it's the Newark connection that throws me off. How did he GET there?

He didn't walk. No cab driver came forward. No bus driver recalls seeing him, even though he stuck out in the minds of other people who saw him, and we don't know that he took a bus at any other point. Did he see a bus for Newark, confuse it with New Castle, get on out of desperation, and meet his fate there via assault or accident?

I cannot imagine someone in Wilmington seizing upon an opportunity to rob/assault him and then taking the risk and time to transport his body to Newark.

Such a puzzle.

Just an idea - if there is still interest in discussing, maybe we can put together a timeline and look for specific gaps or unknowns. For example, the changing of the clothes between the 29th/30th, how he got to and from Wilmington/New Castle (and how many times...) etc.

Depending on what theory you believe will change the timeline.

I believe he was home (New Castle) the afternoon before the "bombs" were
thrown at the Marini home. Dec. 29

I believe he left his.New Castle home (in a hurry) on Dec. 30 and walked (ran)to the Pharmacy where he asked the pharmacist for a ride. (6:00 p.m.) It's a bit of a hike from his.home.to the pharmacy but very doable.

Around 7:00 that evening he was seen and videotaped in a Wilmington parking garage.
At the pharmacy, he had a briefcase. At the parking garage he didn't.
And he was limping and carrying one shoe in his hand. What happened from the time he left the pharmacy to the parking garage. How did he arrive there?

On the 31st he was seen wandering around downtown Wilmington . He was last videotaped.walking from downtown to an area deemed 'unsafe" At tjat time, he was wraring a hoodie. This is the film they did not release to the public.

Jan 1: was discovered in the Cherry Hill dump as he was being dumped from a truck originating in Newark, DE with pickups only in Newark.

Please keep an open mind about the Marini home. I think the "bombs were most definitely wete thrown by Wheeler. This is what I feel may have been a last straw for someone building the home.

I believe he left his.New Castle home (in a hurry) on Dec. 30 and walked (ran)to the Pharmacy where he asked the pharmacist for a ride. (6:00 p.m.) It's a bit of a hike from his.home.to the pharmacy but very doable.

Around 7:00 that evening he was seen and videotaped in a Wilmington parking garage.
And he was limping and carrying one shoe in his hand. What happened from the time he left the pharmacy to the parking garage. How did he arrive there?

On the 31st he was seen wandering around downtown Wilmington . He was last videotaped.walking from downtown to an area deemed 'unsafe" At tjat time, he was wraring a hoodie. This is the film they did not release to the public.

Jan 1: was discovered in the Cherry Hill dump as he was being dumped from a truck originating in Newark, DE with pickups only in Newark.

Please keep an open mind about the Marini home. I think the "bombs were most definitely wete thrown by Wheeler. This is what I feel may have been a last straw for someone building the home.

I absolutely believe that longstanding issues with the house contributed to his mental state. I mean, here's a guy who fought tooth and nail to stop construction of that house, looking into every possible outlet, and he just suffered a legal defeat. It's over. I would buy that he was the one smoke bombing the house (I need clarification on the type of "bomb" which seems to be alternately described either as a firecracker type thing or a bug fumigation fog bomb) although I don't think we'll ever definitively know it was him.

I think that kind of behavior is exactly what I'd expect from someone who was kind of slowly unraveling. I should stop here and say that I never knew Jack or the Wheeler family, so this conjecture is simply that. I have no proof as to what his mental state was, just trying to put two and two together. Here is someone with a history of bi-polar behavior/thoughts/feelings that he was on a regular maintenance medication for who, in a short period of time, displays behavior that we might describe as erratic. You have the court case, traveling, the holidays, work - it's not unreasonable to think he might have had an episode that put him either in direct or indirect danger.

I recenty read an interview where his wife talks about the surveilance footage (including the unreleased) and just basically waves a lot of it off by saying that it seemed like his every day normal behavior, except for the last bit of footage, which had him attempting to hide his face. Ms. Klyce obviously knew him very well, but I just can't reconcile the image of a man of his background and professional and personal accomplishments walking around holding one shoe, appearing as if he was homeless, asking total strangers for rides to Philadelphia, losing a briefcase, not knowing where his car was, and so on and so forth. This isn't just someone who went to West Point and served two presidents, it's a man who continued to serve in various private capacities. To go from who he was 48 hours before to the man on that footage takes some doing.

I wish that the unreleased footage would be shown to the public. What is it hiding? Who is in it? Is he hiding his face in paranoia? From the camera specifically? The area it was filmed in isn't a bad part of town at all. In fact it's arguably one of the better ones - that is, of course, until about 6:00 when all the working crowd rumbles home. I used to work on 11th Street and during the day it was wonderful, but I never stayed past dark. Also it's very near Rodney Square, a major bus hub.

Which might explain how he got to Newark. Then again, the Square is also home to a lot of vagrants, street preachers, loiterers, drunks, etc. Judging by the amount present during the day, I can only imagine how the number increases after dark.

Maybe they kept it from the public because "they" Biden, didn't want this man remembered in such a way?

I know evidence taken from the house was sealed as well, "It was crucial to the investigation"
I wonder if ot wasn't evidence that the "bombs" were located in the shed out back thus proving this once heralded man had been the one to throw the bombs.

He got "funny" the afternoon proceeding the "bombs". He was home alone possibly staring out the window at that monstrosity of a house. Knowing he wouldn't have a voew of the River anymore. Maybe he'd missed.a few days of his meds. Being bipolar, he possibly was depressed and angry. Are you familiar with the location of his home in relation to the Marini home? If not, I urge you to google his address and go to street view. Heck, I'd have been mad beyond words too. So, helpless to do anything about it, he.goes out back and gets the "bombs" and decides to ?? Set a fire.....take out his anger? He unwittingly left his phone in the Marini house. When the neighbor's porch light went on, he walked away.

I think he went back into his house which is totally dark, climbs to the 3rd floor and opens the window so he can hear what the fire dept/police dept and/or whoever else was gathered directly across from his home had to say.

I feel he may have had unwanted visitors the next day. Just to give him a scare. (I should say at this point I had been reading other blogs. I read something that had no basis or.facts to support it. But....that is when my antennae went up. I will not repeat it here or anywhere for.that matter. But sometimes it's those unsubstantiated off the cuff remarks that are ones I tuck away under maybe...maybe not worth looking into.

I am going to stop here for tonight. Another thought has hit me and I need to think about it
Don't mean to be cryptic...I just need to mull this over for a bit.

And, the ME conclusively called this a homocide.

I have seen the homes - in person, in fact, although I've never been inside either one. I have a background in history, and being born in the New Castle area I was curious about the debate being fueled about the Marini property. There was a historic structure on the property and several times there was some back and forth regarding whether or not parts of the foundation or a retaining wall could/should/would be preserved.

I'm with you that JPW could have been the one who threw the bombs. He seems like a likely candidate, and the eyewitness described someone that fit his general description. Let's also not forget that the property is on the park, essentially open to a wide range of people approaching and also leaving undetected. It's a quiet street.

I have heard a variety of rumors regarding the house feud, regarding connections that the family allegedly had to businesses that may or may not be vaguely connected to something that could have something to do with construction or waste disposal. I've never seen any proof of it, although I'm open to it. I assume that their role as the main antagonists in JPW's life was thoroughly vetted by LE.

It's the timing, really, that doesn't make sense to me. They Marinis were victorious. It doesn't make sense that they'd then orchestrate anything to harm Wheeler. If anything, sit back, let him continue to unravel, and eventually he'll get himself into hot water - as would have happened when he was questioned by police and fire, if that had happened. The house is being built, regardless, it's insured. Why kill over that?

The condition of the house is interesting, and everything we know about it is from the neighbor's public statements, since LE hasn't released anything.

A number of things could have happened - visitors, maybe. I would assume that on this relatively unpopulated street where people seemed to be aware of each other's comings and goings (or lack of) that a number of people arriving and the resulting struggle would have been noticed. Also doesn't explain how he got to Wilmington, why, his behavior there, or how he ended up with BFT when he was uninjured as he left home.

In my theory, he's paranoid, delusional maybe. He is fighting a war over this house. He's already made the first move - the bombs. He pulls out his West Point sabre as protection, roams about the house, spiling and knocking things over, becomes convinced he needs to leave. To go where? Was Wilmo the destination, or a stopping point. Trying to get to his car? A train? To take him to his wife in NYC? Washington? Philadelphia, as he asked the two women at the consumer bureau?

Regarding the homicide - did the ME label it as such or the NPD? I don't know the answer, or that it matters either way. Just curious as to how they'd know, truly, given the fact that he was compacted in a trash truck. Someone with the medical/forensic background may be able to fill us in on how they can tell *how* it's a homicide versus accident in cases with this kind of trauma. Well above my pay grade.

I saw this case on the news a long time ago and did not know about the cherry bombs.

After reading here about the cherry bombs I do have a theory that may help explain his erratic behavior. I once knew a person that had one of those go off too close to him. He got really messed up by it. They are very powerful and if I remember right they are about 1/8 or 1/4 stick of dynamite or something like that. Needless to say very powerful.

Also I have seen these in person and they have one of those short hard water proof fuses that fizz really loudly and burn relatively slowly to give you the false impression you have more time than you think. The reason they call them cherry bombs is they are red and round like a cherry, although larger more like the size of a strawberry but round.

So my theory goes.....what if he was lighting and throwing them to piss off whoever it was he was mad at and one of them went off way too close to him. It sure would make him not be able to hear or speak well and he would stumble around for quite a few hours. He would basically look like he did on the video if one of those exploded near him.

Anyway just thought I would share the theory. Its an interesting and sad case. I feel bad for the poor guy.

I saw this case on the news a long time ago and did not know about the cherry bombs.

After reading here about the cherry bombs I do have a theory that may help explain his erratic behavior. I once knew a person that had one of those go off too close to him. He got really messed up by it. They are very powerful and if I remember right they are about 1/8 or 1/4 stick of dynamite or something like that. Needless to say very powerful.

Also I have seen these in person and they have one of those short hard water proof fuses that fizz really loudly and burn relatively slowly to give you the false impression you have more time than you think. The reason they call them cherry bombs is they are red and round like a cherry, although larger more like the size of a strawberry but round.

So my theory goes.....what if he was lighting and throwing them to piss off whoever it was he was mad at and one of them went off way too close to him. It sure would make him not be able to hear or speak well and he would stumble around for quite a few hours. He would basically look like he did on the video if one of those exploded near him.

Anyway just thought I would share the theory. Its an interesting and sad case. I feel bad for the poor guy.

Hatfield, we're not 100% on what kind of "bomb" was thrown at the property on 101 West 3rd. From most articles I've read, it seems like they were smoke bombs, like the kind that would be used to fumigate for insects or rodents. Not sure what kind of damage they would cause, or why the FD would be involved as a result... are they capable of sparking fire? Did the smoke itself just alarm someone who called it in?

Interesting theory though. I know a kid who had two fingers and an ear blown off from setting off firecrackers in a toilet. Perhaps the fumigation bombs could have had some effect on him? Breathing in the chemicals?

Kind of a stretch since he chucked and ran, according to the eyewitness, and unlikely that it would result in such a prolonged state of confusion... but, hey. We've got so little to go on that it seems just as likely as any to be true!

My timeline is wrong. I thought he was discoveted om New Year's Day.

Goggle psychotic break. You may be right.

The witness who saw the "bomb thrower" said the fire started while it was in the
still in the hand of the.thrower..like there had been an accelerent poured on it.The "bomb" was thethrown underhanded (lobbed) in the house. He said.it was definitely a man in a.sweatshirt and
sweatpants. The witness claimed that when the."bomb" thrower heatd the neighbor, he calmly walked to the river bank.

This occurred shortly after he last emailed a friend. I still think it was Wheeler and that he went back into his house, 3rd floor so he could listen below.

The story then says that a cabbie, Spence, recalled picking up Wheeler early in the morning from the Wilmington train station.(this would have been the morning after the bomb throwing incident. He said Wheeler appeared fine and he let him off near the Hotel Dupont. There was speculation that this particular cabbie was looking to be in the limelight and fabricated this.story. But then that means that at some time durng the day, Wheeler changed clothes and was seen at the pharmacy. Well.agitated by then.

So did he sleep in New Castle and then get himself down to the Wilmington station to throw off the police. from thinking he was the bomb throwerr?

Or.did he stay at the New Castle residence and never went to the Wilmington train station. Maybe instead of visitors, he was suffering from sleep.deprivation which triggered.a psychotic break?

I find it intetesting that most of the witnesses described his red eyes. Had he.inadvertently burned them the night before with the bomb lobbing? But the cabbie never mentioned red eyes.

My timeline is wrong. I thought he was discoveted om New Year's Day.

Goggle psychotic break. You may be right.

The witness who saw the "bomb thrower" said the fire started while it was in the
still in the hand of the.thrower..like there had been an accelerent poured on it.The "bomb" was thethrown underhanded (lobbed) in the house. He said.it was definitely a man in a.sweatshirt and
sweatpants. The witness claimed that when the."bomb" thrower heatd the neighbor, he calmly walked to the river bank.

This occurred shortly after he last emailed a friend. I still think it was Wheeler and that he went back into his house, 3rd floor so he could listen below.

The story then says that a cabbie, Spence, recalled picking up Wheeler early in the morning from the Wilmington train station.(this would have been the morning after the bomb throwing incident. He said Wheeler appeared fine and he let him off near the Hotel Dupont. There was speculation that this particular cabbie was looking to be in the limelight and fabricated this.story. But then that means that at some time durng the day, Wheeler changed clothes and was seen at the pharmacy. Well.agitated by then.

So did he sleep in New Castle and then get himself down to the Wilmington station to throw off the police. from thinking he was the bomb throwerr?

Or.did he stay at the New Castle residence and never went to the Wilmington train station. Maybe instead of visitors, he was suffering from sleep.deprivation which triggered.a psychotic break?

I find it intetesting that most of the witnesses described his red eyes. Had he.inadvertently burned them the night before with the bomb lobbing? But the cabbie never mentioned red eyes.

I'm not sure how much credit to give the cabbie, and I think the police are in the same position. In some articles I've read that he hesitated or changed the story a couple of times regarding exactly where JPW was dropped off (in terms of the corner). He may also be mistaken someone else for Wheeler. Sixty-something gray haired white guy in a suit coming from the train station and heading uptown? Just described a lot of people coming into the city every day.

If Spence's story is correct, Wheeler was coherent, alert, and chatty in the cab. They exchanged small talk about the hotel (or the restaurant in the hotel) not being worth the charge to stay/eat there. Also, if the story is true, Wheeler had his briefcase at the time.

The Hotel duPont seems to come up in several eyewitness statements, either by name or, in the case of the parking lot attendant from the surveillance where he's holding his shoe, JPW mentioned his car was by an old hotel where he was staying (in actuality, it was not...) He was also seen on (unreleased) footage walking towards and away from the hotel and I believe he was seen in the adjacent building (also duPont related).

Ms. Klyce has stated that the only reason she knew him to go into Wilmington was to take the train. Why this pre-occupation with the hotel? At one point there was speculation that he had stayed there, but the hotel never commented publicly and there was no information released to confirm or deny.

Well, supposedly he was quite absent minded. I suspect it got worse with age and then whatever was going on with him maybe that's the only. building he could remember. His car had been parked there since the 13. The car was sealed, too. Now why would you seal a car?

I wondered at the time if Wheeler had stayed overnight in one of the men's restrooms in the hotel. I wanted them to check the trash bins for his shirt. They did check the homeless shelter which wasn't too far from there and they said no, they hadn't seen him.

And where did he get the hoodie he was last seen wearing? Is there a Goodwill nearby there?

I wonder if he knew he was on the verge of a psychotic break. (If that is what happemed)I suspect he may have hidden it well. He and Klyce had only been married 13 years and it appears they led their own lives. So I wonder just how well she knew him.

Klyce and his son in an interview a year after his death, both said he looked frightened. The son advised it didn't appear to be a psychotic break.

If we believe that Wheeler was home.on the night of the bomb caper, what did he do the next day? Did he "hide out" in the house all day. Did he get some visitors or visitor who scared him so that he threw things at the doorway? Were the chairs put there to keep someone out?

If he changed out of the sweatpants he may have been wearing that night befores
certainly those were discovered by the police and bagged.

If he stayed in the house all that day, he had the presence.of mind to dress in business attire before leaving the house.......opened.

I never thought that the red eyes could have been from the fire bombs the.night before. Andaybe that was why he was stumbling around in the house.

And why the pharmacy? I do think he walked/ran up there. I wonder if he had his billfold and money with him then.

When he was discovered tumbling.out of the truck into the landfill, did he still have on the hoodie? Was there a wallet on him then?

I know you said he may have been heading down a street where vagrants often hang out.
Could the cops.have come by moving them along? Maybe over to Newark? Could he have walked it? Is there a soup kitchen in the area.

There is a Salvation Army, but it's not in town, per se. It's over the river bridge from the Amtrak station. Walkable, but not in the area that JPW was seen frequenting near 11th street. There is also a Sunday Breakfast Mission (shelter/aid) near the river. Not far from Amtrak, again, but not close to the 11th street area. There is also some sort of aid organization in a church on N. King Street near the courthouse, although I don't know the extend of what they do. I used to see men outside very early in the morning drinking coffee. I don't know if they stayed the night or just came for a morning meal.

Not sure which of those places, if any, would have given a hoodie. He could just as well have bought one from somewhere on Market Street, but I would think someone would have come forward if they sold him one. Not to generalize, but a 66 year old white guy purchasing a hoodie after dark on Market would have stuck out. I think the stores close early for the most part anyway.

Okay, bear with me here - as I'm putting down a lot of rather unconnected thoughts.

If Wheeler was home on the bomb night, then I don't think he would have gotten into a cab the next morning headed for the Hotel. It's too much back and forth. Home the night of the 28th, Wilmington the next morning, back home by unknown transport, running to the pharmacy, back to Wilmington by unknown transport, seen around the city disheveled for a day and a half, in a dumpster in Newark by 4am-ish on the 31st. But I feel like he had to have been home on bomb night. The Dill's from down the street (next door?) had tidied up the house after their kids stayed there for the holidays, and JPW wasn't back in Delaware until the 28th. Unless someone broke in, which seems unlikely, JPW was home that night.

How did he get there from Amtrak? I can't seem to remember hearing. Why not just take his car? It was right there. Was it possibly because he didn't feel like he was in a condition to drive in terms of focus?

I think threw the bombs, returned home, created the mess seen there, and the next evening he ran to the pharmacy, got into Wilmington by unknown means (trying to get to Philadelphia?), and then the rest is pocked with unknowns.

It seems like he *must* have gotten a ride into Wilmington from the train station, unless he got really lucky and happened to see a bus coming by that took him straight in and to the courthouse area in less than 40 minutes. It's not that long of a ride, but he'd have to allow time to get to a bus stop, wait for a bus, other stops, disembarkment, etc. Might make sense that he got off at the courthouse (near another large parking garage) thinking it was where his car was.

Wilmington to Newark is... 15 miles? 20? He couldn't have walked. Well, he could have walked, but it would have taken the better part of a day, and mostly along an interstate. Not probable.

Also, food for thought. He wasn't a small guy. One person could not have hoisted him into a dumpster.

Ok. It's time to get down to the nitty gritty. I'm going to read and take serious notes and make a detailed timeline. I also need to print out a map that gives me a good visual of the entire area.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

This is an excellent two-part article. The amount of surveillance cameras in the area means that there must be much more known about JW's final 12 hours.
http://monolithik.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/the-mysterious-murder-of-john-p-wheeler-iii-part-one/

Thank you Outlier. I have read both parts and disagree with some of his summations. However, his pictures and maps are very helpful. I actually have a reply into him but have not heard anything yet. Thank you for the info.

I've read the article as well and appreciate the detailed analysis of the cameras. I agree that it's hard to believe so little is known about his movements for such a long period of time.

I've heard a lot about Downtown Visions and the surveillance program, but I've never seen their footage to determine how much detail is actually recorded. Does it just show a wide view of a city block? If so, it may be difficult to pick him out.

This case is so complicated - I wish we could have some sub-threads - one for each day at least, another for theories, one for video footage, etc.

Have done a rough sketch of a timeline. I've used my thoughts and opinions (which will be designated as such) and I've used USA Today and Chris Barrishe's Delaware-on-line.

But something interesting I had forgotten. On the 29th (the day after the bomb caper) at around 9:30, Wheeler sent an email to his daughter, Kate. Just benign chatter but it wasn't sent from his I-phone. In fact, it is unknown where it was sent from. Authoritirs wete to track down the IP address but I was unable to locate anything.

Some say he was in Wilmington being picked up and dropped off at Hotel Dupont by Cabbie Spence. Or....JMO he was still in New Castle. It is also JMO that the unraveling hadn't started as yet. I had written Barrish sevetal years ago to run my open window theory by him. He seemed to recall that Dill had said one of the beds had been slept in but the bed had beenade up. Further proof that he was there and somewhat in command of his faculties if he remade the bed and sent an email to his daughter.

I think we are beginning to narrow it down when things went haywire. (Other than the bomb capei certainly do not know Wheeler nor have i ever met him but I can't help but think the bomb caper was more of a......caper, than anything truly serious.

It's my feeling, and JMO that Wheeler was spooked in the early afternoon of the 29th that set off his strange trips to the pharmacy and subsequent odd (scared..psychotic break) behavoir latet in Wilmington.

Oh....I get Radell Smith's articles from time to time. Today, she compared this case to the current Dermond case out of Georgia. I couldn't agree more.

One theory that I have had is that Wheeler had a health problem, including a psychological problem, and became confused and agitated. He attacked someone, who killed him and slipped the body into a dumpster.

The one vidie tape of him holding his shoe at the parking garage does make him look confused and agitated.

His ceremonial sword was out at his house and some of the floor boards were pulled up.

Snipped:

Have done a rough sketch of a timeline. I've used my thoughts and opinions (which will be designated as such) and I've used USA Today and Chris Barrishe's Delaware-on-line.

I would love to see a timeline, even one rough and tentative. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaPrirl
Back