Denmark - Copenhagen's 17th century Old Stock Exchange burns down, no injuries reported, great cultural loss, 16 Apr 2024

I'm glad you found it useful! I've just created this thread and updated it on my lonesome because I'm Australian and was awake, when I knew most of the user base in the US is asleep. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've never been to Copenhagen, and it looks like it was a glorious building that was deeply significant to everyone.

If it makes it any easier, in the press conference, they were unequivocally stating that it WILL be rebuilt, whatever the cost. I guess the benefit of it happening to Notre Dame five years ago is that people will truly believe it IS possible for it to be restored to them. I have faith it will be done beautifully, rising from the ashes like a phoenix.
Yes I have faith in the restoration too, followed the notre dame as well. I am from Sweden and got the info from Australia (I know you are from there) and thought that was a little bit funny.

Yes I have faith in the restoration too, followed the notre dame as well. I am from Sweden and got the info from Australia (I know you are from there) and thought that was a little bit funny.
Yeah, the first story I saw was on our ABC News, seven minutes after it was posted. Then it was quickly all over a number of international media sites. It was right about nightly news time when it happened, here, so all of our journalists were primed and ready to report, even though it was the other side of the world where it happened.

The press conference has ended. It went for a full half hour. Multiple people spoke, then they took a large number of questions at the end. I can't speak to the bulk of what was said, because I can't speak Danish, so I could only copy here what was put in text in the liveblog, which my browser could translate for me.

I can't read all of this despite my translation thingy because it's paywalled after a few paragraphs, but even that small amount really brings home the heartbreak of the craftspeople who were working on the Borsen.

There was absolutely rigorous fire safety observed. The man who was working on the roof, his team does "all the old churches" and they really do care deeply about the work they do. They're all incredibly upset that this has happened, even with the precautions.

There is a video showing them at work, forming the copper pieces that go to making up the roof.

A major risk during the renovation of historic buildings is fire. Historic buildings often have dry, older timber, and heat from tools can ignite the wood. In particular, soldering has serious risks. Soldering sheet metal can ignite adjacent wood. Sometimes, unknown to the construction crews, there can be wood smoldering for hours underneath a metal roof.

Electrical sources can also present risks, like overloaded circuits or overheating tool motors. Today, battery powered tools can ignite, as many have lithium batteries.

A major risk during the renovation of historic buildings is fire. Historic buildings often have dry, older timber, and heat from tools can ignite the wood. In particular, soldering has serious risks. Soldering sheet metal can ignite adjacent wood. Sometimes, unknown to the construction crews, there can be wood smoldering for hours underneath a metal roof.

Electrical sources can also present risks, like overloaded circuits or overheating tool motors. Today, battery powered tools can ignite, as many have lithium batteries.
Yeah, I strongly suspect that that kind of thing is to blame, as was likely to be the cause of Notre Dame. Heck, my own school once got evacuated because workmen welding something accidentally set something alight in the roof. In that case, it was put out before much damage was done, but my school wasn't four hundred years old. Around eighty, I think, which is old for a school in Australia, but nothing like four hundred.

MOO

Some photos of interior before the fire.

Makes my heart so sad to see the loss of such rich history, culture, art.
Oh wow, if that statue with all the gilding at the bottom is the one they maybe rescued, maybe didn't, I can see why they wanted to save it. I was picturing plain white marble, which is still beautiful! But that is really something.

I was hoping the dragon spire might be somewhat salvageable. I don't think it will be.

The dragon spire lies burnt out in the street

The iconic spire lies charred on the road. Photo: Mille Stilbjerg Dyhr, TV 2
New photos show the dragon sprout lying burnt out in the street after the fire.

Operations manager Tim Ole Simonsen at Hovedstadens Beredskab confirms that it is the iconic spire at the top of Børsen that collapsed on Tuesday.

40 containers are to stabilize historic masonry in Børsen

Up to 40 containers, each measuring 12 meters in length, must be set up around the outer walls of the burned-out part of the Stock Exchange.

That's what the spokesperson for the capital's emergency department, Frank Trier Mikkelsen, told Ritzau.

"They are being put up to stabilize the walls. This is both out of consideration for the risk of collapse and because we want to save the historic masonry,' he says.

Only the outer walls remain in the one part of the Stock Exchange that caught fire on Tuesday morning.

The stock exchange hall, which is one of the central parts of the stock exchange building in Indre By in Copenhagen, is completely burnt out.

Inside the hall is a free-standing chimney, which Hovedstadens Beredsbad will also remove with the help of a crane in the near future.

It is not yet known when the containers will reach Børsen and be listed. But the first ones will probably be set up on Tuesday evening.

"The people who come to set them up cannot be where there is smoke, so it is also about the firefighting and the development in the weather," says Frank Trier Mikkelsen.

Thanks for the link, that is fascinating.
Sad about the fire, but heartening to hear that even passersby were helping to save artwork !
Omo.
Yeah, in an article I read earlier, can't remember which one, they said some guy was riding his bicycle to work past the Borsen, saw what was happening, ditched the bike and pitched in. I imagine many others walking, driving, or riding by did the same.

According to the Berlingske and TV2 feeds, the building is still smouldering, and there are flare-ups they are combating with water.

The containers they are going to place around the outside to stabilise the walls are going to be filled with concrete blocks. Only when they are in place will they begin to remove rubble to reach the embers beneath.

Loud sounds were heard in the night as they endeavoured to remove the central chimney. The chimney was removed because they feared it would collapse and destroy an outer wall.

The work is continuous and ongoing. Each shift of around fifty people is replaced with a fresh shift. Many of these people are from Hovedstadens Beredskab with support from volunteers and other emergency personnel.

Last edited:
"You cannot reconstruct time."

The building was constructed over time and in different stages - the dragon spire was actually a copy of the original, built in the eighteenth century - and they have excellent documentation to rebuild, but it will never be the 'old' building that was destroyed. That is lost.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LyssBear93
Back