Denmark - Copenhagen's 17th century Old Stock Exchange burns down, no injuries reported, great cultural loss, 16 Apr 2024

Video of the collapse was caught by a news crew who were filming live.

Looks like the main problem right now is the scaffolding, that may have been what caused this collapse. All efforts are to remove it as quickly and safely as possible.

Last edited:
A Reuters article specifically about the rescue of the art, both during the fire and in the aftermath.

Some items are damaged by fire, smoke, and water, others by hasty, inexpert removal. (I know I read that they were using crowbars to pry free items that were fastened down as the fire was spreading.)

I think that it's a huge challenge for conservation staff, but I don't think any would deny that an artwork rescued in damaged condition is better than one completely destroyed.

MOO

This DM article has a bunch of pictures I had already seen, but a number I hadn't, including ones taken as the roof went up in flames by workers on the scaffold as they fled. We knew that at least one picture had been taken because of the statement of the mason a few days ago.

"You cannot reconstruct time."

The building was constructed over time and in different stages - the dragon spire was actually a copy of the original, built in the eighteenth century - and they have excellent documentation to rebuild, but it will never be the 'old' building that was destroyed. That is lost.
That's true, but as with Notre Dame, they may try to replicate its construction as best they can.

There's a PBS "Nova" episode about the rebuilding of Notre Dame, and it's very interesting.

The scaffolding has now been stabilised, according to officials. As it has been removed, they have discovered more of the facade intact than they thought had survived in the wall facing the canal, which collapsed a few days ago.

A further little miracle, from Brian Mikkelsen 's twitter. Brian is the CEO of the company that owns the Borsen. He has been very present in the media, and was one of the staff helping to save paintings from the fire at the beginning.

(Google translate from the Berlingske feed)

"A little light in the darkness. This morning, one of the fantastic guys from the emergency services handed me the top of the iconic dragon spire, which had survived the flames and the long fall,' writes Brian Mikkelsen.

"It gave a glimmer of hope. Because it will once again adorn our beautiful workplace and Copenhagen.'

Also, more statues have been recovered, including one very important one.

Iconic statue on the Stock Exchange saved

Emergency services have succeeded in rescuing one of the most iconic statues from the stock exchange building on Slotsholmen. This is written by TV 2.

It concerns the statue of a woman that stood over the entrance to the Stock Exchange.

TV 2 brings an image of the heavily soot-blackened statue, which, judging from the image, appears to have lost its right forearm and left hand. It is not confirmed.

According to the TV station, the statue was spotted in the ruins of the largely burned out and collapsed stock exchange building.

With a crane, the statue was lifted up and out into the street, and it is now handed over to Dansk Erhverv.

Adorably, the enormous, heavy duty piece of kit making the removing of the scaffolding possible is called the Bumblebee. They're saying it's the biggest piece of construction equipment in Europe.

(Google translate from the Berlingske feed.)

"Humlebien" has arrived at Børsen
Distributed on seven large block wagons, "Humlebien" has arrived at Børsen.

The "bumble bee" is actually a large crane with a large pair of metal scissors at the end. When assembled, it weighs a whopping 200 tonnes, and road plates are laid out in the streets around Børsen to protect the asphalt.

The "Humlebien" will assist the work of cutting down the scaffolding around the Stock Exchange.

That's what Hovedstadens Beredsbad writes on X.

I think that it's a huge challenge for conservation staff, but I don't think any would deny that an artwork rescued in damaged condition is better than one completely destroyed.

Indeed.

In your link, a curator at the site cautions that the hasty removal might not have been performed as an “art expert” would, but so much of the preservation after fire and soot depends on doing very little, but very carefully, at the very beginning, particularly when it comes to paintings. Bundle them out with minimal contact on any worked surfaces; separate nothing that could possibly stick/tear; set works flat and upright somewhere clean and begin dehumidification; do not attempt to remove any glazing or framing; blot as needed and/or or apply filters between MicroChamber. Wait for cavalry/conservator techs to arrive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonderPony
Back