DETECTIVES: Chris Jenkins murder connects dozens around country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not struggling with it. I think they have sufficient evidence to back up their statements. They only had to spend that kind of money in the Jenkins case and could simply go back to find the smiley faces in the other cases...which they did. One Detective said he mortaged his home. He wouldn't have done that if he wasn't certain he was on the right track. They also have names to go along with that theory. When it all comes out...I think you will see they did their job well.

Of course, it is farfetched. I don't see many serial killer stories that aren't. Look at Hilton. Look at Bundy. Look at BTK. I bet when those theories were coming to light...they sounded pretty farfetched, too. It took them what...30 years to solve BTK crimes?

Kristi is goingto be on GMA Monday morning along with the detectives. After that appearance they will be holding a press conference.

The second part of the video she discusses that the station has been swamped with emails and phone calls from people who think they may know of other cases and vics that the detectives need to look into. I doubt we will hear any personal response to the email I sent requesting a way to contact the detectives.

http://www.kstp.com/

I appreciate the effort anyway, thanks DD.

It doesn't surprise me that LE doesn't want to follow up. They did, however, state publically they made a mistake in their investigation. It is a shame they are balking at this. It goes to egos and it is wrong.

It is quite telling that Chris pulled out his own hair, imo. Also, I think they are exactly right that with his shirt still tucked in and his slip-on plus oversized boots on that he did not go over the bridge. His head being turned is also evidence. With the ME's office changing it to a Homicide, I don't see how LE is not interested in what these men have uncovered. I think it is absolutely an ego problem with them.

Wow~ 40 cases!

It doesn't surprise me that LE doesn't want to follow up. They did, however, state publically they made a mistake in their investigation. It is a shame they are balking at this. It goes to egos and it is wrong.

It is quite telling that Chris pulled out his own hair, imo. Also, I think they are exactly right that with his shirt still tucked in and his slip-on plus oversized boots on that he did not go over the bridge. His head being turned is also evidence. With the ME's office changing it to a Homicide, I don't see how LE is not interested in what these men have uncovered. I think it is absolutely an ego problem with them.

Wow~ 40 cases!

I suspect that might grow by at least 2 or 3 before weeks end, unfortunately. I hope this forum on this issue is available soon, I truly believe there is good WS info on them. At my count, I think there have been 3 new bodies found in missing cases in about a week

As of yesterday,

50% of the missing/drowned young men were college students
42% had been reported to have been drinking and/or inebriated
72% were from the midwest (by midwest, I'm speaking of the western great lakes region)

So, contrary to what our usual sensationalistic media has to say, the missing/drowned young men were most certainly not ALL college students. And, contrary to what LE claims, these cases do not appear to be PURELY alcohol related. If anything, the most striking thing about them is that 72% are situated in the midwest with a concentration in the La Cross & Eau Claire Wisconsin areas.

That said, after watching the second vid, I'm less inclined to think these two detectives are onto... well... anything. For a number of reasons, the least of which involves the statement by LE spokesperson, "Bring us evidence, not more theories." The other thing that raises questions to my mind wrt this latest theory is that they seem to be sweeping all of the missing/drowned cases into one grand conspiracy. Which, imho, makes it less viable.

Furthermore, while I was admittedly growing skeptical after finally finding time to listen to the first interview (where they referred to these alleged disparate groups as "pods"), what clenched it for me is the ludicrous "Smiley Face Killer" moniker that the talking heads dreamed up last night. This indicates to me these detectives have nothing more than a bunch of smiley faces that were found where these boys "allegedly" went into the water.

Yet, if you read the Jenkins case, the cost for determining where he went into the water was $100K. So, are these detectives saying they've spent half a billion dollars to determine where all 60 boys entered the water? Doubtful. Unfortunately, from where I sit, this appears to be a case of confirmatory bias at its finest.

And finally, as far as whether or not there's a serial killer (or killers) preying on young men in the midwest? I think that is possible. I am however very doubtful this is a case of some nation-wide smiley face killer gang.

Btw, and as an aside, for the person who wondered, the slogan that went along with the smiley was "Have a nice day" and Stephen King's "Stand" was about an apocalyptic "final battle" between good and evil, that was brought on by the release of a genetically engineered fast-spreading virus.

Shadow:
They didn't do the 100K model; they reenacted with a mannequin and used tennis balls to study flow characteristics. It’s about 1/3 of the way down on the second page here.

“Gang" was an unfortunate word to use in this context and implies ongoing, organized activity with a discoverable leadership hierarchy. The interesting question to me is where the smiley face leads us. If we accept that these killings are too similar to be unrelated, is this the work of one person, one with copycat(s), or a collection of people tied together somehow. And is the smiley involved at all?

If this is a copycat, how did he discover the smiley and tie it to the original? If it is a group, how/when/where/why? The implications are tremendous.

BTW, nice deconstruction of the "gang"theory.

C6

Hesitate to bring this up, as the person to whom I'm referring has been banned from here several times. Dare I use her name? Loretta with her misfits blog (which I used to read until I was made to feel very unwelcome there) some years back suggested there was a connection between at least some of these deaths. Perhaps she was on the right track after all. There were just too many in reasonable proximity to be total coincidence.

Really hope those detectives can help put an end to these terrible murders.

http://www.vanceholmes.com/court/trial_missing.html

Dr. Lee Gilbertson, a St. Cloud State professor who specializes in the computer mapping of crime, has uncovered at least four startling coincidences among many of the missing/drowned victims:
  • Victims tend to vanish between Thursday 10:00 PM and Sunday 4:00 PM, during the first half of the month.
  • 76% of the specific disappearances investigated, occured when "there's less than half of moon illumination."
  • The victims were attending college within 50 miles of I-94 between Moorehead and East Lansing. "Why is it so tight along that snake -- along I-94? It should be spread out."
  • The timeline of the drownings move in a consistent pattern. "East, west, east, west, east, west, north, south -- east, west, east, west, east, west, north, south. Now we start to see patterns that can't be explained."
"Now we can clearly say, it's definitely time to act."
-- Gilbertson

The link above talks about many of the men we are thinking of adding to the forum. Also a couple that don't have threads here. It was interesting reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMD