Dickey Betts, Allman Brothers Band Singer-Guitarist, Dead at 80, APRIL 18, 2024

sds71

Reaction score
Dickey Betts, whose country-inflected songwriting and blazing, lyrical guitar work opposite Duane Allman in the Allman Brothers Band helped define the Southern rock genre of the ‘60s and ‘70s, died Thursday in Osprey, Fla. He was 80.

His family posted a statement on Instagram, writing, “It is with profound sadness and heavy hearts that the Betts family announce the peaceful passing of Forrest Richard ‘Dickey’ Betts (December 12, 1943 – April 18, 2024) at the age of 80 years old. The legendary performer, songwriter, bandleader and family patriarch passed away earlier today at his home in Osprey, FL., surrounded by his family. Dickey was larger than life, and his loss will be felt world-wide.”

Born Forrest Richard Betts in West Palm Beach, Florida, on December 12, 1943, Betts began playing ukulele around age five, followed by banjo and mandolin. “When I finally got to about seventh grade,” he told RS, “I learned about girls and rock & roll and Chuck Berry.” As a teenager, he put together his own band while earning a living as a house painter and mail carrier.

Another one of my childhood heroes gone. One of my major musical influences and favorite guitarists. Thank you DIckey for all the great music you gave the world. I'll pull out my guitar and play a little "Blue Sky" tonight.

RIP Dickey.

So very sorry to hear we lost Dickey Betts. He came into a bar I was in one night in Florida and got up on stage for about two hours and jammed with the band. He was phenomenal and so very pleasant. Whatever anyone asked him to play, he did, and kindly so. Was a very fun night. I am sorry to know he is no longer with us. He is playing some great music in the sky with the great musicians who went before him. RIP Dickey. MOO. Katt

So very sorry to hear we lost Dickey Betts. He came into a bar I was in one night in Florida and got up on stage for about two hours and jammed with the band. He was phenomenal and so very pleasant. Whatever anyone asked him to play, he did, and kindly so. Was a very fun night. I am sorry to know he is no longer with us. He is playing some great music in the sky with the great musicians who went before him. RIP Dickey. MOO. Katt
What a great concert you saw that night!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoptti
Back