DISTRICT ATTORNEY ELECTION-Durham Co

Okay Durham Co officials, enough of this election crap, what about your unsolved cases?

terminatrixator said:
Well perhaps with Detective Vaughn and Sergeant Cates and the others working this case they are above that and are working hard on the case and are not involved in anything but working their tails off to solve this murder. I am keeping them in my prayers that they get this beast soon.

I'm actually praying that the murderer finds God and decides to do the right thing, but I am pretty sure that won't happen, I think he doesn't have that capability of having faith, feeling remorse, doing the right thing, and growing the b*lls to face what he did like a man.
Has anyone heard anything from the detectives? Has anyone contacted them recently? I think maybe contacting the PD will get more action than contacting the DA office. I am SO tired of Durham politics overshadowing the important things. I just do not know what to do, and I live here. :banghead:

I have called and left a message for the Lead Detective recently to see if there was any progress on this case and did not receive a return call, but at least it's a reminder that there are people out there thinking about the case. Then again I don't know the Christiansens and am not related to them so they would have no reason to contact me back.

DA hopeful: I'd rethink rape case

Possible write-in candidate says he'd talk first with accuser

DURHAM - A Durham lawyer says he would rethink the Duke University lacrosse rape case if he is elected district attorney as a write-in candidate in the November election.

Steve Monks, who failed in June to gather enough signatures to get his name on the ballot, said he will run if he can raise at least $50,000 in campaign money. He said it would take him about a month to decide whether to keep the high-profile rape case alive.

SNIPPED
County Commissioner Lewis Cheek did collect enough signatures to make the ballot but announced last week he would not campaign for district attorney because he wanted to focus on his law firm. Cheek's name will appear on the November ballot anyway, though he said he would not serve if elected.

REST OF THE STORY HERE:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/15195087.htm

Why would he not served if elected? Why would he have his name on the ballot? Does that mean that the Governor would have to elect someone else then if Cheek wins? If that's the case, why couldn't the Governor re-elect Nifong?

This is very confusing to me.

terminatrixator said:
DA hopeful: SNIPPED
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/15195087.htm

Why would he not served if elected? Why would he have his name on the ballot? Does that mean that the Governor would have to elect someone else then if Cheek wins? If that's the case, why couldn't the Governor re-elect Nifong?

This is very confusing to me.
He doesn't want to give up his private practice.
His name will be on the ballot whether he campaigns or not b/c he met the signature requirement
If Cheek wins, he will quit the post, and the Gov. will appoint a DA
It is popular local opinion that if he reappointed Nifong, it would be political suicide.

MOO

caffeinatd said:
His name will be on the ballot whether he campaigns or not b/c he met the signature requirement
It is popular local opinion that if he reappointed Nifong, it would be political suicide.

MOO
Hmm, isn't THAT interesting...If I lived there, I'm not sure that I wouldn't like to "shake it up" and vote for Cheek just to see what would happen. :(

caffeinatd said:

MOO
Isn't the Governor done though and not up for reelection? I heard a rumor that the Attorney General Cooper may be running for Governor in the next election.

terminatrixator said:
Isn't the Governor done though and not up for reelection? I heard a rumor that the Attorney General Cooper may be running for Governor in the next election.
He is not up for reelection as governor, but is still fairly young and I doubt ready to retire. I have heard others for gov., inclding Cooper...haven't heard Nifong or Cheek yet!!!:)

caffeinatd said:
He is not up for reelection as governor, but is still fairly young and I doubt ready to retire. I have heard others for gov., inclding Cooper...haven't heard Nifong or Cheek yet!!!:)
LOL - I'm highly doubting District Attorney Nifong would be running for Governor, or would win if he attempted it. I did indeed hear rumors that Attorney General Roy Cooper will most likely run, and he was out and about quite a bit for a while.

Well, this will really be something if Cheek wins, but I'm thinking if Freda Black didn't beat Nifong, it would take something huge for Cheek to win, since he stated publicly he wouldn't run, though I think he may have had a chance if he publicly stated he would run.

Either way the whole political scene in Durham is very irritating to me. I think more focus has to be put on the victims and their rights and fighting for the victims as opposed to all this political stuff. It's really downright depressing to me that this crime has not been solved yet, and that no arrests have been made.

My heart goes out to Kaiden and the Christiansens and all those that loved Janet.

terminatrixator said:
LOL - I'm highly doubting District Attorney Nifong would be running for Governor, or would win if he attempted it. I did indeed hear rumors that Attorney General Roy Cooper will most likely run, and he was out and about quite a bit for a while.

Well, this will really be something if Cheek wins, but I'm thinking if Freda Black didn't beat Nifong, it would take something huge for Cheek to win, since he stated publicly he wouldn't run, though I think he may have had a chance if he publicly stated he would run.

Either way the whole political scene in Durham is very irritating to me. I think more focus has to be put on the victims and their rights and fighting for the victims as opposed to all this political stuff. It's really downright depressing to me that this crime has not been solved yet, and that no arrests have been made.

My heart goes out to Kaiden and the Christiansens and all those that loved Janet.
Agreed that the focus is way off here...I am thinking Lewis may win...in May, no republicans could vote...so combine those withthe irritated democrats, and we may have a change.

It is a disgrace that an entire communities LE is so absorbed with one case, while others fall to the wayside....I sum it all up to being lazy, and complete discern for anyone but themselves....

I understand your frustration Justice, but I don't believe the problem lies with the homicide division. There were quite a few homicides last year, one including a child and a quadruple homicide, many homicides were successfully solved from the looks of their crime map, etc.

I am very hesitant to state that the problem is with LE, but I believe there may be a lack of funding available to LE and I believe they may actually need more officer's in the homicide division. There is also the media frenzy surrounding the District Attorney's Office.

Janet and her unborn child were murdered in her home on April 26, 2005 and a few days later the Governor appoints Michael Nifong as acting DA as the previous DA became a Judge. The new District Attorney, Michael Nifong, already knew going in he would be in office and have to start campaigning as there was a bit of a heated issue with Freda Black running against him in the primary election this spring, and then we have the the Duke rape allegations and the media issues surrounding this.

Sometimes, as with this case, it's better to make sure all the ducks are in a row, all the dots are connected, before making an arrest especially when it could very likely be a capital murder case, because of Double-Jeopardy.

I just hope that LE is continuing to work very diligently on this case and is making progress towards an eventual arrest and they get an airtight conviction by whomever is the DA.

Good Luck to you finding the answers you need surrounding the death of your brother, I'm sorry you have been having so many problems getting the information you need. I pray that you get some resolution and I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much for your prayers and kind words! I live in Cleveland, and we have far more homicides than Durham, and the revenue from taxes are also much higher. The problem is ineptness, and incompitence!
They have no excuse for not dong their jobs!
His case is closed as far as the sheriff is concerned. So, why then not tell us the GSR results?!
NO family should have to beg for these reports, and information concerning the death of their beloved ones!
I am now more determind to have legislation passed to change this, and give voices to the millions of voices, pleading to be heard!

Durham DA Race Heats Up

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=local&id=4620976

WTVD By Shae Crisson

(10/02/06 -- DURHAM) - The campaign for Durham district attorney is back on, even though one of the candidates does not want the job.

The same people who pushed to get Lewis Cheek's name on the November ballot are now putting campaign signs up around the city, urging voters to recall Nifong and vote for Cheek.

Cheek tells Eyewitness News that he will turn down the job if elected, but he still plans on voting for himself. "You know I'd have to vote for Lewis Cheek," he said.

The county commissioner does not want to abandon his civil law practice, but he does want change in the district attorney's office. Cheek feels needed change will come if he wins, turns the job down and the governor appoints someone else.

"It allows people to make a decision about whether they want Mike Nifong to be the D.A. of Durham County or not," Cheek said.

Mike Ashe, the director of the Durham County Board of Elections, says the unique situation is sparking interest and could lead to a spike in voter turnout. Some wonder if it could backfire, since Governor Mike Easley appointed Nifong as district attorney.

"The governor will appoint whoever he wants to appoint," Ashe said.

But Cheek says the governor could not ignore the results of a vote.

"That would indicate to the governor and anybody listening that the desire of the people of Durham was that Mike Nifong not be the D.A.," Cheek said. "I have to believe the governor would listen to that."

Republican Steve Monks is also eligible in the race as a write-in candidate.

I hear cracks all the time from friends about the politics we deal with here in California. IMO, Durham seems to have more issues with politics recently than all of California.

Wish the DA focused more on crime than on politics and I cannot wait until this whole crap is over and maybe they can focus on getting the bad guys in jail and convicted.

For the love of God, people of Durham, wise up! This man is a complete imbecile, and has no place being a prosecutor! I hope he will end up being charged with prosecutorial misconduct, and end up behind bars his damn self! :furious:

Here is more proof of just how corrupt these officers are! I know there are good and bad LE everywhere, but this is INSANE!

I have been screaming about how unjust they have been for so long, and now this! I have begged and pleaded at every level of government for help, and now the world can see I was right! Inept isn't even the word, but corruption begins to sum it up! The fact of the matter is this behavior has been known of, and has gone unspoken till now! If not for the tapes, none of us would have ever known!

If the citizens of Durham stand by and allow this to continue, they are fools! Who is responsable for the level of degradation?! What will be done to punish those involved?! Will they sit idly by and say and do nothing?!

I hope the people have enough sense to see the truth, and care enough to make a change!

Deputy's crimes more serious?

Here is proof of crimes "most certainly unbecoming an officer!" [url="http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif"]http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif[/url]

By BriAnne Dopart : The Herald-Sun
bdopart@heraldsun.com
Oct 18, 2006 : 10:45 pm ET

DURHAM -- The former sheriff's deputy fired for his alleged involvement in a wide array of illegal activities at a local Durham nightclub may have been involved in more serious crimes than the ones for which he already stands accused, Durham County Sheriff's officials said Wednesday.

Sheriff's investigators are looking for information that may connect former deputy Mike Owens to both human trafficking and murder for hire, according to Capt. Paul Martin of the Sheriff's Office.

Owens and six Hispanic males were arrested Saturday in a raid of the 2825 North Roxboro Road nightclub La Zona. During the raid, approximately 5 ounces of cocaine were seized by investigators.

Two other deputies, William "Keith" Dodson and Brad King, both of whom worked as off-duty officers at the club, were fired Monday for allegedly violating the Sheriff's Office's "secondary employment" policy.

No criminal charges have yet been lodged against Dodson and King, who may have been unaware of what was allegedly occurring inside the club, Martin said Wednesday.

Search warrants released Tuesday for the 2825 North Roxboro establishment owned by the former deputy alleged that vehicles and individuals seen frequenting the club are known to be involved in a wide array of criminal activities in Durham including "drug trafficking, armed robberies, murder (for hire), prostitution and human trafficking."

Asked Wednesday to elaborate on the warrant's mention of "murder for hire," Martin said investigators do not yet have any solid evidence Owens' played "a direct role" in any murders for hire. They do have, however, recorded conversations in which Owens discussed murder schemes, Martin said.

Investigators who listened to hours of conversation transmitted by an audio-recording device inside La Zona nightclub heard Owens discussing activity involving "hit" men, Martin said.

"He's not the suspect of an actual murder ... he's just been involved in conversations about it," Martin alleged. Martin added that investigators are looking into what role, if any, Owens played in crimes he allegedly discussed on the recordings.

Sheriff Worth Hill said that murder was the first thing that came to mind when he'd learned of Owens' alleged involvement in the illegal activities at La Zona, "but we don't have any evidence," he added.

Martin said investigators are also looking for any connections between what they alleged was prostitution going on at La Zona and a prostitution ring the Durham Police Department announced it was investigating in August. During that investigation, police named houses at 116 Junction Road, 217 North Hoover Road and 1949 Cheek Road as alleged houses of prostitution.

Martin said investigators have yet to verify any connection between the La Zona case and that particular network of brothels.

Still "furious" about his deputies' alleged involvement -- either directly or on the periphery -- in the purportedly seedy on-goings of La Zona nightclub, Hill said he is seriously considering prohibiting all of his deputies from doing "off-duty work" work at bars and nightclubs.

According to the sheriff's current policy (last updated in 2000), deputies can work at establishments that serve alcohol, but they cannot enter the establishment except to use the bathroom. The rule can be bent only if the deputy knows of criminal activity going on inside the establishment -- such as a fight breaking out at the bar -- Hill said.

The Durham County Sheriff's Office has more requests for off-duty deputies than it can handle, Hill said, so he's not concerned about cutting into any deputy's much-needed second job. Hill said he doesn't know exactly how many deputies are employed at nightclubs and bars, but said he is sure "there's a whole lot of 'em."

The policy change would be the only change made to Sheriff's Office procedure because of the La Zona scandal, said Hill.

Hill said he is confident no other Sheriff's Office personnel will be implicated in the La Zona probe and that he sees no need for any further investigation into his agency.

Hill said he would meet with his remaining deputies at 7:30 a.m. today to discuss the effect negative press swirling around the agency has had on deputies' morale.

Deputy's crimes more serious?

[url="http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif"]http://ads.heraldsun.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif[/url]

:behindbar :razz:

Oh this is just ducky! Let's just add one more thing to the long list of distractions that are keeping Durham LE from solving these cases. WTfreakingH Durham!!! Sometimes I wonder what they do all day back there..... I guess we are just beginning to find out. Once again,

:banghead: WTfreakingH Durham?!? :banghead:

I would love to go into more details! Let me say that truth IS stranger than fiction, but God SHALL bring the truth to light!

I truly pray the citizen's of Durham speak out, and they will break out the broom and clean house!
:croc:

Just who runs what?!?!
:chicken:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member