DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match.

Investigators extensively utilized publicly searchable genealogy websites and cross-referenced census records and obituaries to trace possible relatives. Their diligent research ultimately led them to Powers’ daughters, sister, and mother.

The emotional impact of the identification was profound, since Powers’ daughters, who were toddlers when she disappeared believed that their mother had abandoned them.

This case marks the seventh instance in which the San Diego County Sheriff’s Office has successfully used investigative genetic genealogy to identify remains in unsolved cases.

The department emphasizes that this DNA tracking method is only employed when all other avenues have been exhausted. Detectives reach out to relatives for assistance, ensuring transparency about the process and the case they are investigating.

The woman found dead near campsites in San Diego County on February 16, 1986, has been identified as 22-year-old Claudette Jean Zebolsky Powers.

Authorities also found an unidentified male victim "around the same time and area," according to a release from the San Diego County Sheriff's Office.

Sgt. Tim Chantler said investigators believe they know the cause of death in the man's case but are "withholding that information for the investigation."

Investigators have not revealed the cause of Powers' death.
Claudette Powers disappeared in September 1984 at age 22.

The bodies were found about 14 miles apart on a desolate road in Los Coyotes Indian Reservation in Warner Springs, an unincorporated community in northern San Diego County.

Powers' identity had long eluded detectives, who spent years reviewing missing persons reports and asking the public for help in solving the case, according to the sheriff's office. Meanwhile, her family spent decades wondering what happened to her after they last heard from her in September 1984, at the time of her father's death, authorities said.

Detectives finally identified Powers by matching DNA from a sample of her hair with the DNA of an unidentified relative, the sheriff's office said. Investigators scoured publicly searchable genealogy websites that grant law enforcement access to their data with users' consent and researched census records and obituaries to find possible relatives.

"While we know today's arrest of Mr. Nilo cannot erase the harm he allegedly inflicted upon his survivors, we believe we have removed a dangerous threat from our community," Bonavolonta said.

Nilo has been charged with three counts of aggravated rape, two counts of kidnapping, one count of assault with intent to rape and one count of indecent assault and battery, CBS Boston reported.

"This arrest also highlights the fact that investigators never stop analyzing evidence, collecting information, and running down leads in order to bring dangerous offenders to justice," Kevin Hayden, Suffolk County District Attorney, told reporters.

Mr. handsome hot shot lawyer Matthew thought he got away with taking advantage of women in the worst way possible.
I imagine there are quite a few others like him who became nervous when they read this news story.

There were a lot of bad guys in college who went on to be "upstanding" citizens with nice careers. I'll always remember a guy who, with a couple of his friends, raped my college roommate and another girl in our dorm. He went on to have a long career as a high school teacher and later a vice principal.

I imagine there are quite a few others like him who became nervous when they read this news story.

There were a lot of bad guys in college who went on to be "upstanding" citizens with nice careers. I'll always remember a guy who, with a couple of his friends, raped my college roommate and another girl in our dorm. He went on to have a long career as a high school teacher and later a vice principal.
Someone like Matt who must be reasonably intelligent had to have known his DNA being left there will eventually be traced back to him. especially as a White American guy they are easiest to trace through genealogy records.

Someone like Matt who must be reasonably intelligent had to have known his DNA being left there will eventually be traced back to him. especially as a White American guy they are easiest to trace through genealogy records.

I'm so happy for the victims who 15+ years ago reported the incidents to police where I believe there may be just as many victims if not more who were attacked by MN and did not report the incident to police.

However, I couldn't help but hit pause in this story when reading the way MN's DNA sample was collected from him, and I don't doubt his defense is thinking the same.

For example, DNA kit companies such as AncestryDNA, 23andMe, etc., provide a kit user the option whether or not to share their test results in the DNA data base and investigators report they abide by these rules.

I further understand that individual(s) who consented to share their DNA test results and were genetically linked to MN were contacted by investigators, and they pointed to MN as a potential suspect.

Given the suspect's name, authorities began surveilling MN and to obtain his DNA for confirmation testing, they followed him to a Corporate event where they recovered a glass and utensils he was observed using.

And this is where it gets fuzzy for me: IMO, it's one thing to surveil a suspect who wheels his garbage bin out to the street for collection and leaves it on the street all day. A reasonable person has no expectation of privacy when leaving a bin full of their DNA out on the public street.

On the other hand, if you go out to dinner or a catered corporate event, I don't think it reasonable that you would collect your utensils and glassware from the table, stick them in your bag and take them home with you to protect your privacy. Also, you'd probably be charged with theft!

IMO, it's not reasonable to expect another party-- in this case, the FBI, would sneak out your glass and utensils for DNA testing just as it's not reasonable for you to collect your tableware and take it home. In other words, you can't abandon something that is not yours.

It's pretty well established that investigators do not need a warrant to collect a DNA sample from your garbage abandoned on the street-- relying on the property deemed "abandoned" and "no reasonable expectation of privacy" but I think applying the same legal theory to the glassware and utensils here might be pushing the envelope.

It would be devastating to learn this case blown over the collection of MN's DNA without a warrant and/or his consent.

They knew their suspect was a lawyer and this was the best they could do?! o_O MOO

Nilo’s attorney suggested he may challenge the legality of the FBI’s evidence collection.

“If the government obtained DNA evidence from my client without a search warrant, then the constitutionality of that action will certainly and most vigorously be challenged in court,” Cataldo said.

I'm so happy for the victims who 15+ years ago reported the incidents to police where I believe there may be just as many victims if not more who were attacked by MN and did not report the incident to police.
RSBM

I wonder if there are also a bunch who reported it and have had their rape test kits sat in untested limbo ever since.

MOO

For example, DNA kit companies such as AncestryDNA, 23andMe, etc., provide a kit user the option whether or not to share their test results in the DNA data base and investigators report they abide by these rules.
RSBM
Just wanted to clarify that this isn't the case. Ancestry DNA and 23andme do not provide this option. LE (and organisations like Othram and DDP) cannot use Ancestry or 23andme for genetic genealogy (except for living Does like China Black who can spit in a tube). It's a common misconception - people won't do the tests because they don't want the police snooping or whatever, but those databases cannot be used for that. Due to the policies of the companies, as well as practical reasons (neither allows third party uploads, which is necessary for this method). The only exception is if a good match has been found on GEDmatch/FTDNA, the match might allow LE/labs to look at their Ancestry/23andme results to get a better picture of the family tree.

LE and labs like Othram use GEDmatch and FTDNA, which are third party websites that allow users to upload their raw DNA data. They have to first download it from Ancestry/23andme and then upload it. I'm not totally up to date on the opt-in/opt-out policies but last I checked, FTDNA was opt-in by default and you need to opt-out, whilst GEDmatch was opt-in by default for Doe cases but for crime cases like this one, users need to specifically opt-in.

I think it's worth pointing out in case anyone here has done an Ancestry/23andme test and assumes their DNA is already helping to ID Does and catch criminals, when really there are a couple more steps to take to help out :)

You're right about the method they used to collect his DNA though, I'm not sure on the legalities of that and maybe they should have been more cautious with him being a lawyer.

RSBM
Just wanted to clarify that this isn't the case. Ancestry DNA and 23andme do not provide this option. LE (and organisations like Othram and DDP) cannot use Ancestry or 23andme for genetic genealogy (except for living Does like China Black who can spit in a tube). It's a common misconception - people won't do the tests because they don't want the police snooping or whatever, but those databases cannot be used for that. Due to the policies of the companies, as well as practical reasons (neither allows third party uploads, which is necessary for this method). The only exception is if a good match has been found on GEDmatch/FTDNA, the match might allow LE/labs to look at their Ancestry/23andme results to get a better picture of the family tree.

LE and labs like Othram use GEDmatch and FTDNA, which are third party websites that allow users to upload their raw DNA data. They have to first download it from Ancestry/23andme and then upload it. I'm not totally up to date on the opt-in/opt-out policies but last I checked, FTDNA was opt-in by default and you need to opt-out, whilst GEDmatch was opt-in by default for Doe cases but for crime cases like this one, users need to specifically opt-in.

I think it's worth pointing out in case anyone here has done an Ancestry/23andme test and assumes their DNA is already helping to ID Does and catch criminals, when really there are a couple more steps to take to help out :)

You're right about the method they used to collect his DNA though, I'm not sure on the legalities of that and maybe they should have been more cautious with him being a lawyer.
Thanks for the clarification. It was an interview by an FBI investigator before MN's arraignment where I first heard it mentioned they used commercial sites and where I heard Ancestry/23andme but I missed the the additional step where the user sends the results to GEDMatch or FTDNA which I assume is the data bank. Wish I could find the link but all the soundbites now are about the suspects court appearance. Thanks again.

Using DNA taken from the original sexual assault examinations, they searched for potential suspects using DNA information submitted by family members to commercial ancestry databses GEDMatch and Family Tree DNA, eventually landing on Mr Nilo as a person of interest.

“They employed forensic investigative genetic genealogy, in which investigators search publicly accessible DNA databases, populated only by data which users have chosen to make available, to narrow the pool of potential suspects,” the release explained.

Through genetic genealogy, detectives can search for relatives of an unknown suspect through DNA voluntarily submitted to public databases and then narrow the family members down to a likely perpetrator.

In February, Norwegian LE announced they had solved their first case using genetic genealogy.

For the moment, this is a pilot project between Kripos, The National Archives, and Oslo University Hospital in an effort to solve cold cases in Norway, but since the two well-known WS UID cases, Isdalskvinnen and Jennifer F., are officially ruled as suicides (AFAIK), so they are most likely not prioritised atm.

However, I couldn't help but hit pause in this story when reading the way MN's DNA sample was collected from him, and I don't doubt his defense is thinking the same.

I further understand that individual(s) who consented to share their DNA test results and were genetically linked to MN were contacted by investigators, and they pointed to MN as a potential suspect.

Given the suspect's name, authorities began surveilling MN and to obtain his DNA for confirmation testing, they followed him to a Corporate event where they recovered a glass and utensils he was observed using.

And this is where it gets fuzzy for me: IMO, it's one thing to surveil a suspect who wheels his garbage bin out to the street for collection and leaves it on the street all day. A reasonable person has no expectation of privacy when leaving a bin full of their DNA out on the public street.

On the other hand, if you go out to dinner or a catered corporate event, I don't think it reasonable that you would collect your utensils and glassware from the table, stick them in your bag and take them home with you to protect your privacy. Also, you'd probably be charged with theft!

IMO, it's not reasonable to expect another party-- in this case, the FBI, would sneak out your glass and utensils for DNA testing just as it's not reasonable for you to collect your tableware and take it home. In other words, you can't abandon something that is not yours.

It's pretty well established that investigators do not need a warrant to collect a DNA sample from your garbage abandoned on the street-- relying on the property deemed "abandoned" and "no reasonable expectation of privacy" but I think applying the same legal theory to the glassware and utensils here might be pushing the envelope.

It would be devastating to learn this case blown over the collection of MN's DNA without a warrant and/or his consent.

They knew their suspect was a lawyer and this was the best they could do?! o_O MOO

Nilo’s attorney suggested he may challenge the legality of the FBI’s evidence collection.

“If the government obtained DNA evidence from my client without a search warrant, then the constitutionality of that action will certainly and most vigorously be challenged in court,” Cataldo said.
Just to clear this up - I have a whole podcast about this stuff - it is 1000% completely legal and VERY COMMON for the authorities to grab these guys' abandoned items and test them. The abandonment doctrine, upheld in US courts for decades, provides that the police can take ANYTHING you walk away from. They just got a guy in MI after watching him throw a napkin in the trash at an airport. They got another one after he left a piece of toast on his plate at a diner. Beer cans in the gutter. Cig butts out car windows. ALL OF THEM. It's happening all the time - completely legal. They can even engineer you licking an envelope using a ruse that you are filling out a survey! It's all been upheld time and again. This rapist is going down, and I am happy about it!

Just to clear this up - I have a whole podcast about this stuff - it is 1000% completely legal and VERY COMMON for the authorities to grab these guys' abandoned items and test them. The abandonment doctrine, upheld in US courts for decades, provides that the police can take ANYTHING you walk away from. They just got a guy in MI after watching him throw a napkin in the trash at an airport. They got another one after he left a piece of toast on his plate at a diner. Beer cans in the gutter. Cig butts out car windows. ALL OF THEM. It's happening all the time - completely legal. They can even engineer you licking an envelope using a ruse that you are filling out a survey! It's all been upheld time and again. This rapist is going down, and I am happy about it!
Respectfully, I'm aware it's legal but the doctrine is not without limits as also opined by the defense.

I think in the bottom picture, I see a flash of anger. Does anyone else see that?
Oh, yeah. Picked up on his vibe very quickly based on that expression. Unfortunately, some women didn't notice until it was too late. I'm guessing he preyed on women who were a little intoxicated and unable to pick up on his creepy vibe.

More young women should read Gavin DeBecker's book "The Gift of Fear".

Another case solved with Othram's help. Very sad. Forty five years ago Florence Charleston, a Cleveland, OH woman in her late 60's, moved to Portland, OR. She was never heard from again. Shortly after, remains were found in a garment bag in Reno, NV.

So sad, she had left Cleveland with a "new boyfriend". Family never heard from her again.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back