Epic Snow Storm for Mid-Atlantic

Looks like we have more snow headed this way Tuesday and Wednesday too.

Hope everyone is safe and still has heat running. We are digging out today. It's hard finding a place to put the snow though...running out of spaces. Hopefully, the govt will decide to stay closed for Monday and Tuesday !

Looks like we have more snow headed this way Tuesday and Wednesday too.
Yep, as of right now they are saying Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday. They are calling for several inches here, but that usually changes some the closer we get to the event. When we finally make some progress digging out, some more is on the way. We measured 26" here, but that was on top of the five we already had on the ground.

per WPVI Philadelphia got 28.5 inches of snow, 2nd worst storm. Most public transit is suspended til tomorrow. I can see icicles hanging off light poles and lines, so far power (and cable, yea) are fine.

Hoping Celt's new addition decided to wait until at least today to join us in the world. Her being North of Philly would have meant most likely a call to 911 to get her to the hospital. Shoveling out was tough.

Snackcakes, yep no SEPTA. My dd had a friend stuck as she couldn't even get up Roosevelt Boulevard.She was going to catch the bus, but alas none. I got the "Mom do you know anyone with four wheel drive can get my friend home or anyone going up that way?" She knows my brother who is a mail carrier came down to work from up that way. He made it but no mail. I never knew the post office CLOSED. So then he himself got stuck down here. She also knows my dear friend has four wheel mega monster truck but she's expecting as well and no way was I calling her. So, everybody stayed here.

Best part of snow like this? The next day. You shovel your car out it's your spot. So, when you split out for something you "keep" your spot by usually placing lawn chairs there. Today I saw a pink bar stool. A little dinnette table. The usual cones, and somebody who had a big truck got real inventive and had trash cans with chairs and an old armchair.

Hoping everyone is safe and sound. Quite a few people are complaing about bad backs today.

Celt, check in if you haven't gone to have the baby yet. If it makes you feel better I was born in a snow storm. My mom went via a cop car. I turned out alrightie. :dance::thumb:

Well 2 days of shoveling later and things are starting to get back to normal though many spots still are snow covered. I did a lot of shoveling to hel the neighbors who are in their late 60's or older.. and others with young children ( infant to toddlers).
Our neighborhood is finally in the clear.. they had to bring bobcats in today to clear the way in some spots.. even had to shovel my deck as it was getting the melted runoff which the snow was soaking it up like a sponge. The deck is 1 story off the ground - didnt want it to collapse under the weight and with more snow coming...

Had fun today though sledding with the kids in one of our great national parks.. what a blast.
Cant wait for more this week :) ( i know i am nuts and love the snow)

Firehouse Roof Collapses In Bailey's Crossroads

BAILEY'S CROSSROADS, Va. (WUSA) -- Firefighters in a Fairfax County firehouse got a rude awakening early Monday morning when the roof of their firehouse partially collapsed.

Dan Schmidt, spokesperson for Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, says 18 firefighters were in the bunk room of the Station 10 Firehouse located in the 3600 block of Firehouse Lane when they heard a loud noise coming from the bay area around 3:00 a.m. Schmidt says the firefighters discovered the flat roof over all four bay areas collapsed under the weight of this weekend's heavy snowfall.

Right now all firefighters are accounted for and no injuries have been reported.

Schmidt says all 18 firefighters have been transferred to other stations.

According to Schmidt, emergency service for the area has been picked up by neighboring stations.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=96884&catid=

Roof Buckling At Vienna Post Office

VIENNA, Va. (WUSA)-- Firefighters in Fairfax County are responding to another possible structural failure thanks to the heavy snow that fell over the weekend.

More at link...

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=96888&catid=158

Forecast calling for 5-10 additional inches of snow for area Tuesday night into Wednesday, the amounts go up the further north you go from the DC area.

My dad was sent to Cumberland, MD for power restoration... I just heard on the radio that we, and they, are in for another storm Tuesday into Wednesday. I'm hearing only 6 inches but on top of the 30 he's already working in...

Keep the public servants out in the mess and those in communities without power in your prayers.

Celt:

I haven't seen any posts from you since this one yesterday. Hope you and your family are safe, warm, and dry.

I'm still here, and the baby is still in my wife's belly. We ended up with about 13" from round 1, and now we're expecting another 18"-20" Tuesday into Wednesday. We've got a small window today and tomorrow where going into labor will be a good thing, after that, he's gotta stay put for another 48 hours. I'm thinking we should name him Frosty.

Hope everyone is safe and still has heat running. We are digging out today. It's hard finding a place to put the snow though...running out of spaces. Hopefully, the govt will decide to stay closed for Monday and Tuesday !

Well, no one is at my HQ (gov't) in DC! I was supposed to have an online training course put on by HQ, and no one's there to coordinate it, LOL!

Hope you're doing well...and getting stuff done inside while snowed in!

Well, no one is at my HQ (gov't) in DC! I was supposed to have an online training course put on by HQ, and no one's there to coordinate it, LOL!

Hope you're doing well...and getting stuff done inside while snowed in!
The Federal Govt is officially closed today, I'm thinking it may be tomorrow as well. The Metro is down (except for underground service) and it doesn't look like it'll be up and running soon. Now they are saying possibly 10 inches or more tomorrow night into Wednesday with high winds. Worried about further power outages (which noone needs at this point). Good news...kids have an extended winter vacation.

I really love snow, but even I am getting seriously concerned at this point.

Yeah Search, the radio said to expect another foot tomorrow. *sigh*

We are expecting another 2 feet here in the valley. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, and its suppose to hit in the middle of the work week. Double Ughhhhh

I know you all who got hit hard are going to hate me but I was really hoping the storm would veer off course just a tad so it would nail NYC too and I have been very disappointed we didn't get anything. I was really hoping for a big blizzard with 2 ft of snow. I LOVED it a couple yrs ago when we got 26 inches. I don't really know why but I think it is exciting, I love having to stock up, I enjoy the chaos, getting snowed in and if I am lucky getting a snow day - maybe all that means I need to get a life?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back