Everyone please read! This is very important!

Linda7NJ said:
Just wondering.......

When we were told to buy duct tape and pastic & make a safe room after 9/11 how many of you did?

I didn't, flat out refused to.

Me, neither. Duct tape and plastic wouldn't protect you from anything. That was just "busy work" given out to make people feel they could do something to protect themselves.

My husband, a geologist with strong leanings into other sciences, laughed out loud when he heard the safe room. Wouldn't keep a chemical in the world out. But it might just keep the CO2 IN!

I don't think too many of us fell for the duct tape and plastic sheeting suggestions, but we do keep those things on hand around here.

Beyond Belief said:
I don't think too many of us fell for the duct tape and plastic sheeting suggestions, but we do keep those things on hand around here.

I did! It was more for peace of mind I think! Reading this thread has made me realize I need to be prepared again (I was a couple years ago....). What an opportune time for the terrorists to hit us again while we're down. My husband even mentioned what if they hit the Astro Dome....although he said it would be very difficult. I'm going to get a kit together once again.....I'm going to follow Gabby's list :D She's prepped!

Rain slickers, great idea!

ALSO: I forgot about this in my earlier post, but our insurance agent suggested that we have either a binder with photos of the interior of our home, values listed on items like computers, furniture, appliances, etc.
Or videotape the interior of your home and pack the tape/binder with your evacuation supplies.

This can help expedite insurance claims.

Extra keys too. Maybe even for a neighbors house or the person home your headed too.

Linda7NJ said:
Just wondering.......

When we were told to buy duct tape and pastic & make a safe room after 9/11 how many of you did?

I didn't, flat out refused to.

We already had in the house, so we never went out to purchase anything, though if desperately needed, we would have been in pretty bad shape to throw it together.

But after hubby and I discussed this, we knew that if the two of us were sealed up in only one small room for up to 3 days with each other, one of us wouldn't make it out alive anyway :crazy: , so we didn't bother making a ton of preparations.

BirdieBoo said:
As we see this disaster unfolding before us, many of us are trying to think of ways to help, who is responsible, etc.

I suggest that everyone stop this for a just a moment and take time to think about yourselves. Yes, yourselves.

Please take a bit of time to make sure yourself and your family is prepared with a 72 hour kit to survive in case of disaster or emergency evacuation. You can put one together yourself or buy a commercially available one, I'd suggest doing it yourself to be more tailored to your family's personal needs.

We keep ours in a rubbermaid container to be stored in the trunk of one of our cars, but a cardboard box will do just fine, as well.

Here is a website put forth by the State of Colorado that has some very good suggestions for items.

Other items I'd suggest would be some prepaid phone cards. Feel free to add to the list with your own suggestions, but just please, be prepared. I am a member of another message board that has several posters that are unaccounted for, and it's just heart-wrenching to see all the messages from people looking for their friends.

Love to all, and take care, :blowkiss: Birdie

BirdieBoo, what a great thread. Thank you.

I live in Utah and disaster prepardness is a big business here. We have several businesses locally dedicated to selling us the latest survival items needed in case of disaster. It's great.

For Christmas this year each of my relatives will recieve a full 72 hour "kit" with everything in it to keep you going. The perfect gift for those hard to buy people.

Earthquakes. That's our biggest worry. I live right below a big damn. I mean right below it. Only when I think about it, like right now, does it bother me.

Thank You Tricia. I am bumping this thread because I feel that this cannot be stressed enough. A family evacuation plan may save your life, at the very least, if anyone ever needs to evacuate it will make the evacuation much more comfortable.

I had this drilled into my head at a very young age because we lived below the Teton Dam when it burst back in the 1970's in Idaho. I remember that day like it was yesterday, even though I was a very small child.

Great thread! Thank you for starting this.

OK…where do I get a "Triangular Bandage (36"x36"x52")" and what do I do with it? (This is on the list from the Colorado website.)

Those new flashlights that you *shake* would be great! No batteries required. And the same for the *wind-up* type radios.

Everlife Flashlight---->http://everlifeflashlight.com/

We have a hand-held scanner that I keep that charged, along with a few extra batteries, to be able to hear the police, fire dept., weather, etc. Your local Radio Shack store will give you a free copy of all the emergency channels in your area.

dani

You should be able to get a triangular bandage fron any local pharmacy, or as an alternate, you can use a bandanna folded in half diagonally, or make some from an old sheet cut triangular-ly.

BirdieBoo said:
You should be able to get a triangular bandage fron any local pharmacy, or as an alternate, you can use a bandanna folded in half diagonally, or make some from an old sheet cut triangular-ly.

But, Birdie, what do you do with it? Is it to use as a sling?

BirdieBoo said:

:laugh:
I wish there was an icon with *a tongue-in-cheek*. I was being silly. I've just never seen a bandage that was 3-ft. x 3-ft. x 4-1/3 ft. It could be a body cast for Tatoo (the Fantasy Island guy).

Besides, anyone with a cut that requires that big of a bandage is probably a *goner* anyway.

My case of the "sillys" has carried over to today. I'm now trying to picture a family size box of these on the shelf at WalMart, and a fork-lift to get it to my car, and then getting them to the shelter to share…OK, I'll quit now. :blushing:

But you are obviously very sweet and very helpful. Thank you! :blowkiss:

kgeaux said:

Along about the 3rd day in a shelter they might be useful to stick toddlers to the walls? :slap:

dani said:
Along about the 3rd day in a shelter they might be useful to stick toddlers to the walls? :slap:

HaHa! 'round about the 3rd day in a shelter, you probably don't need anything to stick the poor lil guys to the wall. They are probably sufficently sticky enough by then to be self sticking!

That reminds me of one of my English friends (well, former friend) who told me when I had 4 children ages 5 and under that I should put dog collars around their necks, hook em up to leashes and nail the leashes to the walls. HMMPH!

kgeaux said:
Yes, you use it as a sling. you can also fold them in several different ways, when wrapped correctly they can be used to splint a sprained ankle, etc. I remember learning all these uses for them once upon a time in Girl Scouts, I just don't remember all the particular uses, but they are very versatile. And yes, I believe when tied correctly they can be used to tie a toddler LOL.

BirdieBoo said:
Yes, you use it as a sling. you can also fold them in several different ways, when wrapped correctly they can be used to splint a sprained ankle, etc. I remember learning all these uses for them once upon a time in Girl Scouts, I just don't remember all the particular uses, but they are very versatile. And yes, I believe when tied correctly they can be used to tie a toddler LOL.

OK…I think I know where I went wrong. When it said "bandage" I pictured it to be a flesh colored 3-ft. x 3-ft. x 5-ft. *band-aid*. I got it now…a "bandage" is cloth material. :doh: (Guess my blondness is really showing now. :blushing: )

bandage |?bandij| noun

a strip of material used to bind a wound or to protect an injured part of the body : her leg was swathed in bandages | a sterile adhesive bandage with nonstick pad. verb [ trans. ] bind (a wound or a part of the body) with a protective strip of material : bandage the foot so that the ankle is supported | the doctors bandaged up his wounds. ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from French, from bande (see band 2 ).

dani

kgeaux…I have walked in your shoes. When the twins were born that gave me four under 4! Yowzah!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

dani said:
kgeaux…I have walked in your shoes. When the twins were born that gave me four under 4! Yowzah!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Busy days, huh Dani? I remember crying my heart out at midnight standing by the sink trying to wash dishes so we'd have clean cups in the morning! Hubby works away from home 21 days out of every month, so I was alone alot. And the LAUNDRY! :eek: OMG!! And I remember putting all those little people in my bed and sleeping with a big wiggling heap of babies, oh the glory! I'd go back to those days in a heartbeat. Oh, to feel those little arms around my neck and kiss those sticky little mouths again!!

Now is the time for South Fl and other vulnerable areas to pay attention to the good ideas on this thread.

Be prepared, not scared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back