FL FL - Amy Billig, 17, Coconut Grove, 5 March 1974

Bumping for Amy

This is one of my "pet" cases. Amy Billig and Martha Moxley are who got me interested in true crime.

I truly believe that the bikers especially Paul Branch were just messing around with Susan for kicks just like Hank did.

I think the Bikers did it for their jollies because they really didn't get anything from the Billig family except for Branch getting off of some criminal charges. I think he got off on leading Amy's mom on for more information about where Amy was. The strangest thing to me was the bondsman who had connections with the bikers and said he would help and then started to act funny and changed his tune with Susan. Also the cops who said that they could get Amy back for a certain amount of money and then disappeared with the money.

They only concrete evidence that puts Amy with the bikers is Branch knowing about Amy's appendix scar and Pompano Red's wife saying she say Amy on a road trip from Virginia to New Jersey.

My own theory is that the two original bikers Sid Fast and the other one who the bail bondsman that they were friends with brought over in the beginning of the case did ask around after the tip about Amy being held by bikers. I don't think she was ever with the bikers but some sadistic, cruel bikers thought it was funny and amusing to kept leading Sue on with tips that went nowhere.

My own personal theory is that she was snatched by a sadistic murderer when she was hitchhiking to her fathers office and was probably killed that day and the man had probably killed again and/or before Amy. I really wish this case would be solved and I wish Sue would have taken the mob up on their offer.

God Bless the Billig family.

nyla i'm w/ you.
amy was on her way to her father's gallery and probably hitched a ride w/ some creep. this case and the bizarre direction it went w/ the bikers is interesting. i just don't see the biker/white slavery theory. i think, sadly, the most realistic situation would've been the killer picking amy up. i don't believe she survived past the first 24 hours she was missing. how disgusting that these various "leads" pushed her mother Susan to think she was a biker slave, being sold, prostituted, etc.
i'm currently reading susan billigs' book. -z

I have messaged Doe Nework about the lady of the dunes being a possible match to Amy Billig. They said it's already being looked into, and so far is very unlikely to be her. I also submitted another possible match that will be looked into. We will see if anything becomes if that. I just hope they find her, it's been far too long.

i dunno if LE has resolved this case and the possibility that this girl is Amy. The time frame is pretty close, as well as the cork sandals Amy was wearing. Apparently someone went to extremes trying to conceal this girl's identity, severing her hands and almost her head. i'm only halfway into susan billig's book about amy's disappearance, and i don't immediately recall what she was wearing when she went missing. however, if she was abducted off the street and "kept" for any stretch of time, obviously her clothing would change.
its hopeful that this case will be solved, with so many cases being solved 30+ years later.
as i mentioned above, i'm reading susan billigs' book. at the time, the billigs & LE weighed heavily on the theory that amy was taken by bikers in the area. back then outlaw bike gangs ruled areas of FL and would, apparently, snatch girls off the street to sell, trade, etc. as far-fetched as it sounded to me, this was (& i suppose still is) the accepted scenario.
i dunno, still sounds as little kooky to me.

If someone would like to call it in (someone who is comfortable doing so), I have no objections. If not, then I will do so. I just do not want to step on any toes.

Zoe, are there pictures of Amy that would show jewelry such as necklace(s), watch, etc. in the book you are reading. Pictures not available at any of the missing persons or news sites?

another route is reporting your match to rocky wells at doenetwork.

Looks a lot like her. I hope that someone has submitted this.

I submitted it to Doe Network as suggested. I will update when new information becomes available.

I am reading Amy Billig's story Without a Trace. For anyone interested in this case, or any missing persons case at all, I suggest you read this. It's so personal, you feel like you actually know Amy and that you actually are talking with her mother as well.

I am so angry that they did not finger print Amy's room until weeks and weeks later just because they thought she was a run away. These people kept on putting it off, and when Amy's mom Susan recovered a hair brush from the biker gang's lair, the finger prints were gone from her room and her house due to the humidity. So, they don't have any prints to compare with in her case. If they would have got off their butts, this case would have been solved years ago, and poor Susan and her family wouldn't have suffered so bad.
It seems like the majority of the investigating was done by Susan, not investigators.
I must say, of all the cases I have read, this one baffles me the most because I keep on going back and forth on everything. Like did she get picked up by the biker gang? Or just someone bad passing through town? DId she know them? It seems she was friendly and only saw the good in everyone, so it's possible she went with a stranger. Is she alive? All these tips seem legit...it's possible she is still around today, but she's been gone for so long, it'd be a long shot.
It seems like Susan was just a step behind Amy this whole time.
I hope they do find her. Amy seems like an amazing person, just like her mother.

I was surfing the web and realized there is no website, no myspace page, no facebook page, no America's Most Wanted profile for Amy exsists at all.
Her father's last words were "Don't forget about Amy."
So I feel compelled to put together a website for her, which I may even start today.
I manage Dean Marie Pyle Peter's site, with insight from her aunt. I would like to somehow get in contact with Amy's brother Josh or any other relatives because I feel it makes everything more personal. Do any of you know a way I could possibly contact them? Any e-mail?
I know for a fact her brother is still searching endlessly for her.

I was surfing the web and realized there is no website, no myspace page, no facebook page, no America's Most Wanted profile for Amy exsists at all.
Her father's last words were "Don't forget about Amy."
So I feel compelled to put together a website for her, which I may even start today.
I manage Dean Marie Pyle Peter's site, with insight from her aunt. I would like to somehow get in contact with Amy's brother Josh or any other relatives because I feel it makes everything more personal. Do any of you know a way I could possibly contact them? Any e-mail?
I know for a fact her brother is still searching endlessly for her.

Hi

Henry Blair Johnson, in 1995 after he used a cellular phone to call Susan. Johnson claimed he did not know Billig or anything about her disappearance; he maintained that he was an alcoholic and had an obsessive-compulsive disorder, both of which helped in his 21-year-long harassment of Billig's mother.
A strange sideline to the story emerged after Blair was incarcinated; he was known by the nickname "Hank." Billig referred to a man in Blair's age range in her diary as "Hank" and claimed she was thinking of running off to South America with him prior to his disappearance. As it turns out, Blair's job with the US Customs Department involved a relocation to South America in the time specified by Billig in her journal. He also drove a van which matched the color and make of an identical vehicle found in photos taken by Billig, which were developed sometime after her disappearance. Blair has not been proven to have been involved with Billig and was released from prison after serving a two-year sentence for harassment in 1997.

hi

May I please ask what anyone knows of this Henry Blair Johnson?Was he involved in white slavery and around in the Florida area in 1983?

Suzanne

Is Henry Blair Johnson still living? It would be interesting if they could find some DNA evidence to either connect or dismiss him in the involvement of Amy's disappearance. My belief is that he is involved in more things with this case than just harassing poor Amy's Mother all these years. I think there is some connection here that was originally overlooked by LE.

Satch

I winder how many of those biker guys susan talked to are still living?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ATLSooner
Back