FL FL - Boca Raton, WhtFem UP1107, 20-35, possibly Joy Neubauer, Nov'96

Hi neighbor, Wellington here.

The case file shows that the detective contacted every Neubauer family in the area and they were not missing her. She did not want to involve anyone she knew is what she told the responding officer to the call in the morning.

It feels to me like she was a traveler. She was wearing a man's shirt and shorts and did not have shoes. Sounds like some kind of spat and she either left in a hurry or had to leave in his clothes for some reason. I did some very light digging and could not find any major crimes in the area around the same time. No murders. Why else would a woman use mens clothes and why would she not have shoes? I definitely could spend some more time on this aspect though.

I don't think she was a runaway minor. She looks mid 20s to me. Also she would be unusually tall for a minor. Finally the report notes multiple times she was well cared for. Good dental work, had shaved her legs and armpits the day before she died.

She’s in our “backyard,” so it’s not a case that’s easily forgotten. I can visualize the area. It is such a haunting case.

The lack of shoes is an intriguing aspect... Dropped off by a vehicle or staying very close by. Sometimes, younger women wear oversized men’s shirts over a bathing suit at the beach. While it could have belonged to a male companion, she might have bought it in a thrift store. The shirt could also have been old shirt that belonged to a male relative. The shorts are less common, though. One would think that the rest of her clothing wasn’t that far away, at a motel or apartment. She must have had beauty and grooming supplies with her.

I think she was from somewhere other than Florida - perhaps even from Canada. If she wasn’t a French speaker from Quebec, her accent would be indistinguishable from that of many people from the US. In November, the fall yields to winter weather in the Northern states and Canada, so I agree that she’s probably a traveler.

Was she alone or with a companion? Fleeing from some situation? I think the best chance for identification is DNA and forensic genealogy.

@GatorFL Is there a mention of jewelry in the report? Ring, earrings, bracelet or neclace?

And also a question about the drawing: so the artist made her eyes open because obvious they where closed. The question is how sure he is about the space above her eyes? See thumbnail. This is an important detail for comparison.

Attachments

• Joy ad.jpg
    Joy ad.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 28
@GatorFL Is there a mention of jewelry in the report? Ring, earrings, bracelet or neclace?

And also a question about the drawing: so the artist made her eyes open because obvious they where closed. The question is how sure he is about the space above her eyes? See thumbnail. This is an important detail for comparison.
She had pierced ears but no jewelry.

The reconstruction looks like the photo I received. So spacing is accurate. The man who did this recon was world-renowned for doing this at the time it was done. Technology has come a long way since then.

In the file are the letters from the FBI. This was sent to them as well. There are no missing Neubauers, there was even a note that future missings would be automatically compared to Joy. I can allude from the file that it is an alias. Who knows if the first name is correct and the last name is wrong?

Thanks for all the info. About the name. I wonder what the parameters are when someone decides to use an alias? I use an alias sometimes for things like making reservations only because my name is long and complicated but I use a name so basic that anyone can spell it. I think perhaps spur of the moment aliases are fairly mundane ones that wouldn't require someone to ask about the spelling, like Greenwood or Mitchell. But Neubauer, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Any interaction with LE or even with lesser bureaucrats would probably require verification of the spelling. So it makes me wonder whether this individual was familiar with someone in a Neubauer family. Could be a friend, an acquaintance, a work related familiarity, any number of things. According to Ancestry.com there were 7465 Neubauer's in the US in the 1960 census.

One thing I found when looking up the name Neubauer was finding a whole slew of information regarding a doctor, who in the 1960s did an experiment with twins and triplets who were adopted but were not adopted together. Back then it was fairly standard procedure not to adopt the children together. Dr. Neubauer was a psychiatrist who did the experiment in an effort to see whether the whole 'nurture vs nature' was applicable. There's a famous documentary about male triplets called 'Three Identical Strangers". One of the triplets committed suicide. Several of the twins also committed suicide.

Records from controversial twin study sealed at Yale until 2065

Here is an article regarding two women who were separated at birth. They were born in 1966.

Twins separated at birth in 'cruel' experiment speak for the first time to 60 Minutes

Most of this information came out in the mid 90s and the files have been sealed until 2065 but what are the chances of our Joy Neubauer, a person who had psychological issues may have thought she was a victim of this experiment and chose the name Neubauer because of the disclosure. A million to one shot, I know.

"About the name. I wonder what the parameters are when someone decides to use an alias? I use an alias sometimes for things like making reservations only because my name is long and complicated but I use a name so basic that anyone can spell it. I think perhaps spur of the moment aliases are fairly mundane ones that wouldn't require someone to ask about the spelling, like Greenwood or Mitchell. But Neubauer, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

When I read this I have to think about Vance Rodriguez alias Ben Bilamy. No connection whatsoever but the alias is indeed quite simple. Joy Neubauer can be heard in different ways. It can be Joyce or Jo and the last name Neubauer can be Neubrauer or Neugebrauer. It is not clear if she spelled it to the officer maybe he wrote it down wrong. She was in distress when talking to the police so who knows how her speech was or what went on in her head.
About dr Neubauer and her being one of the twins and her knowing that making her use his name. Not sure about that because it would be all over the internet and the connection already made I think.

Last edited:
When I read this I have to think about Vance Rodriguez alias Ben Bilamy. No connection whatsoever but the alias is indeed quite simple. Joy Neubauer can be heard in different ways. It can be Joyce or Jo and the last name Neubauer can be Neubrauer or Neugebrauer. It is not clear if she spelled it to the officer maybe he wrote it down wrong. She was in distress when talking to the police so who knows how her speech was or what went on in her head.
About dr Neubauer and her being one of the twins and her knowing that making her use his name. Not sure about that because it would be all over the internet and the connection already made I think.

I agree. Which is why I mentioned she may have thought she was a twin if she knew she was adopted.

After doing some searching to find a link between Joy and missing woman I found this girl who went missing in 1979. I know there is a gap from almost 20 years but she could very well be Joy. Her name is Michelle Mulcahy and she was 17 years at that time.

These are the details of her disappearance which are stated at the Michelle Meredith Mulcahy – The Charley Project:

“Michelle was last seen leaving a friend's residence in the vicinity of the 6100 block of southwest 16th Street in Pompano Beach, Florida on July 7, 1979. She was on her way to a dance contest at the Candy Store Lounge at the time of her disappearance, but she never arrived as scheduled.

Michelle has not been heard from again. She was accompanied by an unidentified Caucasian man and woman driving a black 1978 or 1979 Cadillac when she disappeared; she left her friend's home with them.

Michelle was an aspiring model and her loved ones stated she was going through a rebellious phase at the time of her disappearance. She had left her mother's Fort Lauderdale, Florida residence and moved in with a friend. She had also gotten involved with drugs and was dating a convicted drug smuggler. Her boyfriend dropped out of sight after her disappearance and may have gone to South America.

Investigators don't believe Michelle left of her own accord. She left all her clothes behind, as well as her makeup and the car she'd just bought. Foul play is suspected in Michelle's disappearance, which remains unsolved.”

She has brown hair, blue eyes, 5.8” and at that time 115 lbs. She was 17 so she could have grown 1 or 2“ and gained some weight over the years. Both have the same form of the face, nose, eyes, eyebrows, small upper lip and somewhat thicker under lip. We are not able to compare her teeth. That will be an interesting part. The “acne” could very well be from the (former) use of drugs. She also had a small scar under her left breast which could have fainted over the years. Who knows what happened to her all those years but I can imagine it would make her taking her own life.

I made a comparison between the both of them, see thumbnail. What are your thoughts about this?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Attachments

• JN comp.jpg
    JN comp.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 26
After doing some searching to find a link between Joy and missing woman I found this girl who went missing in 1979. I know there is a gap from almost 20 years but she could very well be Joy. Her name is Michelle Mulcahy and she was 17 years at that time.

These are the details of her disappearance which are stated at the Michelle Meredith Mulcahy – The Charley Project:

“Michelle was last seen leaving a friend's residence in the vicinity of the 6100 block of southwest 16th Street in Pompano Beach, Florida on July 7, 1979. She was on her way to a dance contest at the Candy Store Lounge at the time of her disappearance, but she never arrived as scheduled.

Michelle has not been heard from again. She was accompanied by an unidentified Caucasian man and woman driving a black 1978 or 1979 Cadillac when she disappeared; she left her friend's home with them.

Michelle was an aspiring model and her loved ones stated she was going through a rebellious phase at the time of her disappearance. She had left her mother's Fort Lauderdale, Florida residence and moved in with a friend. She had also gotten involved with drugs and was dating a convicted drug smuggler. Her boyfriend dropped out of sight after her disappearance and may have gone to South America.

Investigators don't believe Michelle left of her own accord. She left all her clothes behind, as well as her makeup and the car she'd just bought. Foul play is suspected in Michelle's disappearance, which remains unsolved.”

She has brown hair, blue eyes, 5.8” and at that time 115 lbs. She was 17 so she could have grown 1 or 2“ and gained some weight over the years. Both have the same form of the face, nose, eyes, eyebrows, small upper lip and somewhat thicker under lip. We are not able to compare her teeth. That will be an interesting part. The “acne” could very well be from the (former) use of drugs. She also had a small scar under her left breast which could have fainted over the years. Who knows what happened to her all those years but I can imagine it would make her taking her own life.

I made a comparison between the both of them, see thumbnail. What are your thoughts about this?

It's not her. No comparison to the death photos at all. Also NamUs says she has a small scar underneath her left breast, none was noted on Joy.

It's not her. No comparison to the death photos at all. Also NamUs says she has a small scar underneath her left breast, none was noted on Joy.

About the death photo's, I have not seen them so I can not tell but I know you have so it is no match.
I read about the scar and I mentioned it in my post, it can be fainted over the years or she could have had one although not stated anywhere. It was worth posting :)

About the death photo's, I have not seen them so I can not tell but I know you have so it is no match.
I read about the scar and I mentioned it in my post, it can be fainted over the years or she could have had one although not stated anywhere. It was worth posting :)
I just got off the phone w BRPD. They've apparently assigned a detective to this cold case so I am hopeful we can now progress.

Thumbnail

Added to NamUs Nov 5 2021

Hello all, first time posting on this thread.

The work you are all putting in to identify Joy is incredibly admirable. Thank you for all your dedication!

For some reason, I am unable to open either of the links for Joy on the first page - DoeNetwork and IdentifyUs / NamUs. I know these links are back from 2009 but looking through the thread, I couldn’t see any updated ones. At first I thought it may have been either my internet connection or that I’m based outside of the US, but I’m able to go on both of those websites for different cases. Is anyone else having this same issue? Thanks.

edit: when I open the DoeNetwork link, it says page not found. When I open the IdentifyUs link, it just takes me straight to the NamUs homepage.

Hello all, first time posting on this thread.

The work you are all putting in to identify Joy is incredibly admirable. Thank you for all your dedication!

For some reason, I am unable to open either of the links for Joy on the first page - DoeNetwork and IdentifyUs / NamUs. I know these links are back from 2009 but looking through the thread, I couldn’t see any updated ones. At first I thought it may have been either my internet connection or that I’m based outside of the US, but I’m able to go on both of those websites for different cases. Is anyone else having this same issue? Thanks.

edit: when I open the DoeNetwork link, it says page not found. When I open the IdentifyUs link, it just takes me straight to the NamUs homepage.

Here's her updated NamUs link:

Unfortunately, only 4 MP exclusions for Joy

#MP2929
Jane McDonald-Crone
Date of Last Contact
November 14, 1993
State
TX
County
Harris
Thumbnail

#MP7995
Paula Waid