GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

No Cass the child's mother's live-in boyfriend that is also on probation and works as a tow truck driver. Sarasota is NOT a big city, my bet is these men know each other. I find it odd that he (the boyfriend) spoke of Carlie in the past tense just last night BEFORE Carlie's body was found. He was the initial suspect and just who lied and said Carlie's mother gave her permission to wlk home? One more thing, Carlie was abducted 11 minutes after she supposedly left the friend's home. Was that just great timing or did the boyfriend call his friend Joe?

SoloFlyer said:
The man at the sleepover house, Ronald Choquette was initially thought to be the culprit and was cleared by police. I suspect he was in on the kidnapping. He may have planted the seed that Carlie had permission to walk home and easily could have known Joe Smith sine Ronald was a tow truck driver and Joe was a mechanic. There was only a 11 minute time lapse between Carlie leaving that friend's house and her abduction. Either Joe was "lucky" or someone called and told him where to find this girl.

http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040204/NEWS/402040576

But even then, the Amber Alert wasn't immediately issued because detectives thought they had a suspect.

Deputies thought Ronald Choquette, who lived at the house where Carlie had a sleepover Saturday night, looked like the man in the video.

Choquette, a tow truck driver at Upman's, also spent Sunday morning with the girls, taking them for a ride in his car and then to McDonald's.

Choquette said sheriff's detectives visited Upman's at 3 p.m. Monday and brought him in for questioning. He was released more than an hour later. Gooding said the suspect was eventually "eliminated."

Let me add that Ronald is on probation also. http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=470687587

Thanks SoloFlyer.............that is VERY interesting! Tow Truck Driver........FELON..........live's with the mother at the sleepover.
HUh! He may very well be involved! Would you let you daughter stay overnite with someone who's boyfriend is a Felon? I don't know. Maybe Carlie's mom didn't know. Carlie's dad look's like a very nice person....however he's no long married to mom right?
xxxxxxxxxxooo
mama

CarolinaGirl said:
(The following is not a response to Carlie's choice of clothing, but a statement about little girls' clothing in general ...)

I was in the mall a few weeks ago and I walked past The Limited Too store. My four-year old wanted to go in. I took one look at the clothing in the window and I was shocked. The clothing they were selling, for young girls, was incredibly sexy and provocative!!! Now, I'm no prude, but I DO NOT want to have six and seven year old girls dressing like Britney Spears!!! And my four-year old was attracted to the clothing they were selling in that store. The jeans were very tight, hip-huggers with very low waist lines. The shirts were short, tight, brightly colored shirts. I don't think these items are appropriate for the age group stores like this are targeting!

If you have young girls, you can probably relate to what I am saying. Even Target has some questionable items in their little girls' department. I know it will be hard as my girls get older. I'm sure they are going to see these items and want them, especially if other little girls have clothes that are similar.

Okay, coming down from my soap box now ...
I agree. My 3 1/2 year old wants to twist her hips and dance and act like girls I guess she has seen at daycare. We are a very uber-conservative family, so you can imagine I freak out when I see her do this. I tell her "I am not raising a hoochee mama, and as long as you're living here, you are going to dress and act decent and modest!!" it's the exposure our children are seeing in their peers and television. I am appalled at some of the things I see on network tv in the middle of the day. Makes me want to go by that book written a loooong time ago "Raising PG kids in an X-rated society" or something like that.

SoloFlyer said:
No Cass the child's mother's live-in boyfriend that is also on probation and works as a tow truck driver. Sarasota is NOT a big city, my bet is these men know each other. I find it odd that he (the boyfriend) spoke of Carlie in the past tense just last night BEFORE Carlie's body was found. He was the initial suspect and just who lied and said Carlie's mother gave her permission to wlk home? One more thing, Carlie was abducted 11 minutes after she supposedly left the friend's home. Was that just great timing or did the boyfriend call his friend Joe?
Ohh.... sorry, it was just the way it was worded! This is all interesting stuff, It seems the Police are doing a very thorough investigation and time will tell.

Perhaps the perp saw Carlie at that house and was watching and waiting for her to leave?

Thanx for the update... the past tense thing does not bother me so much if he was referring to the sleepover in particular.. as it would be a memory of something past... interesting though!

When something like Carlie's murder happens, it makes us all feel vulnerable and somewhat helpless. It's only natural to look for some way to try to control the situation. Finding ways in which the victim was not like ourselves or our children, or thinking that it happened because of some behavior we can avoid, makes us feel more secure. People do the same thing with diseases or other threats.

There are some sensible behaviors we can adopt to avoid threats. Eleven to fourteen year old girls are a particular target of sexual predators. It makes sense to keep a close eye on girls of this age, even while we allow them to develop more independence. It sure ain't easy to be a parent these days!

No one should be picking and sorry if I was or am.......after nearly 10 months of extensive reading searching and re-searching I don't know a darn thing.

There are many things that have changed in my families life. I have little or know faith in humanity, and realize how ultimately helpless I am.

Some things we all can do:

1) Listen and communicate to our loved ones

2) Teach your children don't just tell.....learn and listen to them don't just hear.

3) Remember you have the right to ask questions of who your kids are going to be around, regardless if they are school teacher, friend, neighbor, coach, church member, cousin, fiance, doctor or mechanic etc. etc. (its just your kid your concerned about)

4) Get a home alarm system, get a dog, invest in dead bolt locks.

5) Take time to walk your kids bus route, or other places they frequent.

Many many more.........

I believe it would be helpful if we had a page on websleuths for preventive measures.

The live-in bf of the sleepover was cleared by Police

Sunnmoon: My Sig Pic-Found it on some site, forgot the name, I've seen it around for years. I think it's sooo cute.

Sometimes for young women it is a "damned if you do damned if you don't" world. My daughter had fully developed breasts when she was in the 4th grade. She wanted to look like her friends but it brought a lot of attention that made her feel uncomfortable. She wasn't dressed inappropriately but it is just not the norm for 10-year old girls to be this developed. She finally had enough of the comments from older boys and men and for that matter women too. She started wearing big baggy t-shirts and cut had her hair so short that she looked more like a boy. Guess what happened then?? People started to assume she was being "abused" in some way. Why else would she try to hide her body? By the time she was in the 8th grade her friends were catching up but it just sucks that it should ever be an issue. She had no control over the rate that her body decided to grow.

It really is human nature to blame the victim in some way. It's easier to deal with these horrible things if we can believe there was something the victim or those close to them could have done differently. It makes us feel safer since we believe we would never do those things. Children are also stolen from their front porches, bedrooms, with their parents and even when they are with a group of caring adults. Walking for a few blocks by themselves or wearing clothes that make them look older may seem like something that could have caused these actions but, honestly her mother could have been walking with her and it still could have happened. Evil people will find victims if they want and there really is no true safe place to hide. We are always in danger and can only use our best judgement to protect our children while still allowing them to learn how to be self-sufficient and safe.

indigomood said:
Court records chronicle a troubled life

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040206/NEWS/402060652/1269/Carlie

seems a bit contradictory to me:

Joseph P. Smith was heavily in debt, addicted to drugs and unable to hold a job.

In court filings, Smith often said he was unemployed and broke, and needed public defenders to help him fight the charges

He owed Sarasota Memorial Hospital $70,000 dating back to 1994, and the Internal Revenue Service $13,000, according to court records.

In divorce papers, Smith listed his gross income as just less than $9,000 and his only possession a 1983 pickup truck worth $200.

One year later, Smith married Luz Castrillon on New Year's Eve, and they now have three daughters, all under 6 years old.

They bought a pink, stucco house on Ingot Street in North Sarasota for $65,000, and lived there for six years.

I guess I am naive but how could he buy a house??? :confused:

Could have done a lease with option to buy kind of deal--a lot of people with crummy credit, uneven wages, (maybe illegal) etc. will use owner-financing. A house that price, the owner probably didn't need the mortgage payoff for various reasons.

He probably got paid in cash as much as possible to keep his earnings off the IRS radar as well.

LOVEMAMA,

NO NO NO.. THERE WERE TO MANY RED FLAGS FOR STARTERS.. NO CHILD OF MINE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE HOUSE.. PERIOD..!! :razz:

Ms. Runion bless her.. Mentioned the CODE WORD FOR YOUR KIDS.. Does this not bother you.. I think there is danger in that as well.. SIMPLE FOR ME I HAVE ALWAYS TOLD ALL MY KIDS, NEICES ETC.. THAT IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO ME, THERE MOM, DAD ETC.. SOMEONE FROM LAW ENFORECEMENT WILL NOTIFY THEM. If they are at school they will go through proper channels to notify them.. NO STRANGER HAS A CODE WORD THAT I WOULD TELL.. I DON'T BELIEVE IN THEM ...!! Your child should go back inside if they are approached in this fashion, and call GRANDMA, GRANDPA, THE POLICE.. TELL SOMEONE.. DON'T GO .. RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN,..!!

AWARENESS, AWARENESS, AWARENESS.. IS EVERYTHING.. TALK TO YOUR KIDS..!!

OH..!! WHILE I'M ON A RANT..!! TAKE THOSE DUMP BUMPER STICKERS OFF YOUR CARS..THAT STATE "MY CHILD, OR CHILDREN ARE HONOR STUDENTS AT SO AND SO SCHOOL" Or just add, if your a sicko, pervert, or murder..you now know where they are, most MONDAYS THRU FRIDAYS.. and you have your subject for a converstion to lure them with..!! :furious: :furious:

cmadwolf said:
I agree. My 3 1/2 year old wants to twist her hips and dance and act like girls I guess she has seen at daycare. We are a very uber-conservative family, so you can imagine I freak out when I see her do this. I tell her "I am not raising a hoochee mama, and as long as you're living here, you are going to dress and act decent and modest!!" it's the exposure our children are seeing in their peers and television. I am appalled at some of the things I see on network tv in the middle of the day. Makes me want to go by that book written a loooong time ago "Raising PG kids in an X-rated society" or something like that.

I thought we were the only household using the phrase "Hoochee Mama." I learned it from one of my daughter's friend's mom, whose mother used to hide her "hoochee mama" clothes in the window seat so the daughter couldn't wear them. (teen and college years.)

Sunnmoon said:
You guys are still missing what I'm saying. I KNOW he was just a criminal, but I don't think he would have been provoked if she looked like a hag....she was a beautiful, well developed girl. And in some way her appearance did provoke him to grab her.

Even in the Muslim world with full coverings for women and girls, rape still occurs.

Something is wrong with a world where we should want our daughters to be ugly so they don't get killed.

And boys get raped, too. There was a serial boy rapist in a part of Houston who was only recently apprehended--PREVIOUS sex offender!

I'm for shooting in front of the barn, in case some other SOB is watching.

Update now
No deals have been made. They still want the backpack, the investigation is ongoing however they feel they have the right person in prison. Carlies' father is upset by the judges actions of not arrecting him when he violated probabtion.
They hammered home that this investigation is ongoing. Suspect waived his first appearance for tomorrow.

Texana said:
I thought we were the only household using the phrase "Hoochee Mama." I learned it from one of my daughter's friend's mom, whose mother used to hide her "hoochee mama" clothes in the window seat so the daughter couldn't wear them. (teen and college years.)
LOL. I have always heard that. When my oldest daughter was about 3 we were in victoria's secret and there was a fashion video playing in the store. My daughter saw it, scrunched up her face, pulled on my shirt to get my attention and said (sniff) "those are chee mommas, Momma! they don't have enough clothes on". out of the mouths of babes.

I am in no way blaming Carlie, though. She was an innocent victim. I just think that in general clothing is much more provocative, younger.

CARLA said:
LOVEMAMA,

NO NO NO.. THERE WERE TO MANY RED FLAGS FOR STARTERS.. NO CHILD OF MINE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE HOUSE.. PERIOD..!! :razz:

Ms. Runion bless her.. Mentioned the CODE WORD FOR YOUR KIDS.. Does this not bother you.. I think there is danger in that as well.. SIMPLE FOR ME I HAVE ALWAYS TOLD ALL MY KIDS, NEICES ETC.. THAT IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO ME, THERE MOM, DAD ETC.. SOMEONE FROM LAW ENFORECEMENT WILL NOTIFY THEM. If they are at school they will go through proper channels to notify them.. NO STRANGER HAS A CODE WORD THAT I WOULD TELL.. I DON'T BELIEVE IN THEM ...!! Your child should go back inside if they are approached in this fashion, and call GRANDMA, GRANDPA, THE POLICE.. TELL SOMEONE.. DON'T GO .. RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN,..!!

AWARENESS, AWARENESS, AWARENESS.. IS EVERYTHING.. TALK TO YOUR KIDS..!!

OH..!! WHILE I'M ON A RANT..!! TAKE THOSE DUMP BUMPER STICKERS OFF YOUR CARS..THAT STATE "MY CHILD, OR CHILDREN ARE HONOR STUDENTS AT SO AND SO SCHOOL" Or just add, if your a sicko, pervert, or murder..you now know where they are, most MONDAYS THRU FRIDAYS.. and you have your subject for a converstion to lure them with..!! :furious: :furious:

and the barrettes with the names on them, bicycle tags with names on them, etc. My husband wanted to buy my daughters the bicycle tags with their names on them but i pitched a hissy fit. He thinks I'm paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid with my kids, then naive and grieving. I only get one chance to raise them, I don't want to screw it up!

The owner of the local bar is quoted as saying in a news article that the Mom frequented the bar and so did the perp - causing people to speculate whether the mother knew the perp or if the perp was watching the Mom. Sound eerily familiar like Mrs. VanDam and D. Westerfield. But I would discount it bc it has been reported that the mother stated that she did not know the man on the videotapes and neither did her daughter. I heard that all around but can't seem to find the source. Did the police say the mother didn't know the man or was it the mother herself?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back