FL FL - Darlene Webb, 20, Daytona Beach, 22 Jan 1983

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 316DFFL

cache.php
cache.php
cache.php

cache.php
cache.php

Bottom Right: Age-progressed by Diana Trepkov

Darlene Ann Webb
Missing since January 22, 1983 from Daytona Beach, Volusia County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• [*]Date Of Birth: July 28, 1962
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
    [*]Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5" - 5'9"; 125 pounds
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long, brown hair; brown eyes.
    [*]Marks, Scars: Small burn scar on her left hand, Pierced ears. She wears reading glasses.
    [*]Clothing: A printed skirt; white blouse; and white flat shoes.
    [*]Jewelry: Gold necklace with small buttercup pendant with diamond; a gold chain with "Darlene" engraved on it; and a necklace with a Virgin Mary medal pendant.
    [*]AKA: Dee Dee
    [*]Dentals: Available
  • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Webb left a nightclub on North Grandview Avenue, in Daytona Beach, Florida around midnight on January 22, 1983. She and a friend walked to their separate cars together; her friend then left the area and Webb has never been seen again.
Webb's vehicle was located later in the day on Grandview and Seabreeze Avenues, which was where she parked the car initially. Her purse was found inside the vehicle along with her driver's license, glasses, a few dollars, but there was no sign of a struggle and no trace of Webb herself. The only thing missing was the keys to her car.

Webb was an assistant manager of Chick-fil-A fast food restaurant, and a student at Daytona Beach Community College, when she disappeared.
Darlene Webb had always been responsible. A singer in the church choir, she lived at home after graduating high school and wasn't into drugs or the party scene. She always called if she would be late or sleeping at a friend's house.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Webb's whereabouts, please contact:
Daytona Beach Police Department
Detective Paul Barnett
386-671-5225
386-671-5100

All information may be submitted anonymously.

Agency Case Number: 83-01-9478

NCIC Number: M095998923
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
NamUs MP #3978
Daytona Beach Police Department
Daytona Beach News-Journal Online
Orlando Sentinel 10/10/06
Someone is Missing
Florida Department of Law Enforcement

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/316dffl.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3978/

Darlene Ann Webb – The Charley Project

Darlene Ann Webb
  • darlene_ann_webb_1.jpg
  • darlene_ann_webb_2.jpg
  • darlene_ann_webb_3.jpg
  • darlene_ann_webb_4.jpg
  • darlene_ann_webb_5.jpg
Webb, circa 1983; Age-progression to age 47 (circa 2009)

• Missing Since01/22/1983
  • Missing FromDaytona Beach, Florida
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth07/18/1962 (56)
  • Age20 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6 - 5'9, 120 - 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA printed skirt, a white blouse, white flats, a gold and diamond necklace engraved with her name "Darlene," a gold necklace with a small buttercup pendant with a diamond, and another necklace with a Virgin Mary pendant.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Webb has a burn scar on her left hand. Her nickname is Dee Dee. Webb's ears are pierced. She wears eyeglasses for reading, but did not have them with her when she vanished.
Details of Disappearance
Webb left a Daytona Beach, Florida nightclub, the Beachcomber, at 1:30 a.m. on January 22, 1983. She and some friends went to the friends' cars, then parted ways. She said she was going to her own car, a Chevrolet Chevette which was parked a block away. She had to go to work early the next morning and so she didn't want to stay out too late.

Webb never arrived home. Her vehicle was located later in the day on Greenview and Seabreeze Avenues where she originally parked the night before. There was no sign of a struggle in or near the car. Her purse, driver's license, wallet, money, eyeglasses and other personal belonging were inside the vehicle; only the keys were missing. She has never been seen again.

Webb's family believes that she may have been taken against her will by person(s) unknown; they describe her as a responsible young woman who would not have left without telling anyone.

Her loved ones theorize that Webb may have memory loss as the result of her presumed abduction and may not recall her identity. She is a graduate of Seabreeze High School and was employed as the assistant manager of a Chick-fil-A restaurant in 1983. She also took classes at Daytona Beach Community College.

Webb lived with her mother and brother at the time of her disappearance. Her parents were separated and her father lived elsewhere, but Webb did not have any reported problems with this. At the time she went missing, she was active in her Baptist church and sang in the choir.

Webb's Social Security number and birth certificate have not been used since her 1983 disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

Article interviewing her mother in 2013.

30 years later, Ormond mom hasn't given up in search for daughter

Snip:
ORMOND BEACH — Fran Webb has gone through a lot of light bulbs over the past 30 years.
“The front porch light still burns, and it’s on every night because the last child is not home,” Webb said, sitting in the living room of her Ormond Beach home on Tuesday, 30 years to the day she last saw her daughter Darlene Webb.
“It’s getting harder for me because I’m getting older,” said Webb, 74. “Family’s passing, and it’s just getting rougher and rougher every year.”
As rough as it’s getting, this tough mother refuses to give up, even when people tell her Darlene, who was 20 when she disappeared, is gone.
“As far as I’m concerned she’s not gone,” the mother said. ”(Police) think, which I agree with, whoever took her probably, maybe drugged her enough that she lost her memory and she doesn’t know who she is.”
Fran Webb and her other children — Karen Webb, 51, and James Webb, 49 — have accepted that the Darlene they knew is gone, whether she’s actually still alive or not.
The Darlene they knew was a tough cookie with a positive attitude and a beautiful voice. Sometimes she enjoyed singing off-key to bug her family. She was a student at then-Daytona Beach Community College and had just been promoted to assistant manager of the Chick-fil-A restaurant in the Volusia Mall.
Darlene had gone to a bar in Daytona Beach with friends that night, but told her mom she didn’t plan on staying out too late since the restaurant manager was sick and she would have to open.
When Fran Webb received a call from the manager the next morning after the Chick-fil-A wasn’t opened on time, she went to where Darlene’s friends said she had parked her car on North Grandview Avenue.
“Her coat was in the car, her purse was in the car,” Fran Webb said. “The only thing missing was her and the keys to her car.”
She said when Darlene’s car was found, the front passenger-side window was halfway down, the front passenger-side seat was reclined and the ashtray was full of cigarette butts, but Darlene wasn’t a smoker.
Initially and throughout the past 30 years, Fran Webb hasn’t had the easiest time drawing attention to her daughter’s case because Darlene was an adult when she disappeared.
“What bothers me the most is the amount of things that have changed over 30 years,” Karen Webb said. “Back then, police wouldn’t even take a report for 72 hours because at that point, you were an adult, you had a right to disappear. Nowadays, if somebody disappears, you see it on TV immediately.”
Sgt. Clem Malec, the detective on Darlene’s case, agreed that the fact Darlene was an adult when she disappeared didn’t make the case any easier.

I wonder if they still have the cigarette butts from the car? The DNA would be interesting.

yes it would be if they could retrieve it is there a way to find out the contact for her case or is her case file sitting in a desk drawer in a pile and no one rememebers her let me see if i can find some contact info and reach out to them.

They must have some DNA! I don't understand the parents thinking she is alive but has suffered memory loss from her abduction, but I am sure this allows them hope. So sad thats probably not the case. MOO

My mom was the owner of Chick-fil-a where Darlene worked. This case has always haunted her. I also wonder if those cigarettes have DNA. I hope this case can be solved and the family can finally get closure.
Welcome to Websleuths!

I always wonder about stalkers who fixate on someone they met randomly. As in a customer that she may have recognized that night but not really known well. For all her personal items to be left in her car but the keys, makes me think someone intercepted her on her way to her car. Did they return to the car together? Did a perp abduct her and then return her personal items to her car afterward, cool off after whatever crime they committed, smoke a bunch of cigarettes to calm themselves, then return to their home?

It was January in Ormond Beach (NEFL) so it was cool out and if there was a struggle, the perp would be hot, hence the window down to cool off and let the cigarette smoke escape while they caught their breath.

“Her purse, driver's license, wallet, money, eyeglasses and other personal belonging were inside the vehicle; only the keys were missing.”

Published 4/12/2021

The Unsolved Disappearance of Darlene Ann Webb

snip

A woman who had been working at a beer garden near where Darlene parked her car told police that she had heard a woman’s scream the night that Darlene went missing. She had stopped what she was doing and looked in the direction she believed the scream had come from, but didn’t hear anything else. She did observe a car speeding away from the area with its lights off, but had been unable to determine what type of car it was or how many people were inside. Police thanked her for coming forward, but were unable to determine if the scream or the speeding car had anything to do with the missing woman.

snip

In 1984, a streetcleaner came forward and told police that he had seen two men forcing a woman into a car in Daytona Beach on the night Darlene disappeared. This was in line with the theory that Darlene had been abducted, but the streetcleaner had no explanation for why he had waited so long to come forward. He was unable to provide descriptions of the men, woman, or the car involved, so police were never sure if there was any connection between his claim and Darlene’s disappearance.

Published 4/12/2021

The Unsolved Disappearance of Darlene Ann Webb

snip

A woman who had been working at a beer garden near where Darlene parked her car told police that she had heard a woman’s scream the night that Darlene went missing. She had stopped what she was doing and looked in the direction she believed the scream had come from, but didn’t hear anything else. She did observe a car speeding away from the area with its lights off, but had been unable to determine what type of car it was or how many people were inside. Police thanked her for coming forward, but were unable to determine if the scream or the speeding car had anything to do with the missing woman.

snip

In 1984, a streetcleaner came forward and told police that he had seen two men forcing a woman into a car in Daytona Beach on the night Darlene disappeared. This was in line with the theory that Darlene had been abducted, but the streetcleaner had no explanation for why he had waited so long to come forward. He was unable to provide descriptions of the men, woman, or the car involved, so police were never sure if there was any connection between his claim and Darlene’s disappearance.

Was the street cleaner ever questioned further? It strikes me as odd that he would have come forward after so long. This coupled with the fact that guilty parties sometimes involve themselves in the case has me wondering.

yes it would be if they could retrieve it is there a way to find out the contact for her case or is her case file sitting in a desk drawer in a pile and no one rememebers her let me see if i can find some contact info and reach out to them.
Did you ever reach out and find a contact?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ServerNotResponding
Back