FL FL - Debora Lowe, 13, Pompano Beach, 29 Feb 1972

Hi everyone, new here. I've been following this case for several years now--we all have that case or handful of cases that just stick with us. I saw this Jane Doe on Namus, #UP1341. The sketch bears some resemblance and she was roughly the right age and height, found in 1973 in Altamonte Springs. Has she been ruled out yet?

Hi everyone, new here. I've been following this case for several years now--we all have that case or handful of cases that just stick with us. I saw this Jane Doe on Namus, #UP1341. The sketch bears some resemblance and she was roughly the right age and height, found in 1973 in Altamonte Springs. Has she been ruled out yet?

Pretty sure she's ruled out. Her sister watches new Does and any listed in Florida but I'll ask her

Here's the article SSA

Missing Deborah Sue Lowe, age 13 - By Bob Weaver
In 2020, the family still seeks clues to what happened to her.

Forty-eight years ago a 13-year-old girl who moved to Florida with her family from Palestine, Wirt County, went missing, never to be seen again.

Debora Sue Lowe lived in Pompano Beach, Florida, where her Wirt County family re-located.

Her family roots go back to the Husks of the Husk Ridge near Hur.

Hur Herald - Local News Calhoun County West Virginia
Here's the article SSA

Missing Deborah Sue Lowe, age 13 - By Bob Weaver
Thank you Roselvr, you truly are such a great friend.

This is a case that stays with me. Who knows why but sometimes there is just something about a case that grabs you and don't let go??
Many years ago I first saw this case and something about those clay recreations just grabbed me.....
Several years ago when roselvr and I became good friends, she asked me about this case....once again I was up all night looking at those clay recreations....
I am not saying that the girl who claimed to have her purse is lying, I'm not the type of person who would say such a thing. It was 1973, few if any states had a photo on a driver's license. It was a time long before such horrible violence in our schools, so it would not have been common for a child to have a picture Id card of any kind??? So my head keeps saying...what did she actually see, and where did it come from???
A few years back Deb finally appeared on her rule out list....we were told ruled out by DNA....
Once again I have been up all night staring at clay heads......Maybe this is just a case I hold onto in order to keep hope alive?? Maybe.......it is just that this year has been really hard and I just need ......maybe

Luke 12:2 2There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed or hidden that will not be made known
( I hope bible verse quotes are allowed? If not I will remove)

Last edited:
Debora Sue Lowe
debora_sue_lowe_1.jpg
debora_sue_lowe_2.jpg
lowe_debora3.jpg
debora_sue_lowe_4.jpg

Debora, circa 1972; Age-progression to age 58 (circa 2016)

• Missing Since 02/29/1972
  • Missing From Pompano Beach, Florida
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/19/1958 (62)
  • Age 13 years old
  • Height and Weight5'5 - 5'6, 120 - 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A tan poncho, a yellow blouse, black slacks with vertical rose-colored stripes, and a ring with an aquamarine stone. The ring is shaped like a flower with eight off-white petals with gold wire around them, a blue dot in the center, and a gold band.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Debora's upper teeth are crowded and one of her front teeth has a small chip. She has a small scar on her left leg. Her nickname is Debbie and some agencies spell her name "Debra" or "Deborah."
Details of Disappearance

Debora was last seen walking to Rickards Middle School in the vicinity of 8th Street and Sunrise Boulevard in Pompano Beach, Florida between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m. on February 29, 1972. It was about a mile-long trip between her home and the school. She never arrived at school and has never been heard from again. After her disappearance, her schoolbooks were found in a trash bin a block from her home.

Authorities initially believed Debora had run away from home, possibly back to Palestine, West Virginia; her family had moved to Pompano Beach from Palestine shortly before her disappearance. Debora's family has never believed she left of her own accord, and she did not have a prior history of such behavior. None of her personal belongings were taken.

Debora's family believes she may have been a victim of the serial killer Gerard John Schaefer Jr. A photograph of Schaefer is posted with this case summary. He worked with Debora's father and had visited her family's home.

debora_sue_lowe_7.jpg

Gerald Schaefer

He was convicted of only two murders in the 1970s but is believed to be responsible for the murders and disappearances of many other girls and young women in the 1960s and 1970s, including Wendy Stevenson, Peggy Rahn and Carmen Hallock in 1969, and Pamela Nater and Nancy Leichner in 1966. Schaefer was never charged in connection with any of the cases, however. He was murdered in prison in 1995.

Debora's father died of a heart attack four years after her disappearance, and her mother died in 1995, but the rest of her family continues to search for her. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Pompano Beach Police Department 954-786-4200
  • Broward County Sheriff's Office 954-765-4321
Source Information

I was checking through unclaimed persons for the unclaimed persons forum and came across this unclaimed person in Michigan with same first and last name. Age is similar. Eye color listed is different. I also read through this thread and didn't see any reason she would be linked to Michigan.

I'm typically poor at missing persons cases because I have a difficult time deciding if there is resemblance, but to me there is resemblance between this Deborah and the Debora here. Apologies if I'm way off, but didn't want to forgo sharing just in case.

Deborah Lynn Lowe
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Long and brown with a few gray streaks
Left Eye Color Hazel
Right Eye Color Hazel

I was checking through unclaimed persons for the unclaimed persons forum and came across this unclaimed person in Michigan with same first and last name. Age is similar. Eye color listed is different. I also read through this thread and didn't see any reason she would be linked to Michigan.

I'm typically poor at missing persons cases because I have a difficult time deciding if there is resemblance, but to me there is resemblance between this Deborah and the Debora here. Apologies if I'm way off, but didn't want to forgo sharing just in case.

Deborah Lynn Lowe
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Long and brown with a few gray streaks
Left Eye Color Hazel
Right Eye Color Hazel
I came here to post this. I assume the Detroit ME verified her identity as Deborah Lynn Lowe DOB xx/xx/1960, but I wanted to run it by her team just in case!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaelie
Back